NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

As they said in the GQ interview, they only got the PTS in script form, around 20 pages.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    zerozero wrote: »
    Interesting tidbit on the BBC news site today. An interview with Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connor. Apparently, Barbara Broccoli only gave them a hint about the opening sequence before they wrote the song. They allegedly didn't get the whole script.

If true, this means we can't draw any conclusions about the plot of the whole film, based solely on this song.

They were given the first 20 pages of the script to read.

https://www.jamesbondaustralia.com/2020/02/18/finneas-talks-no-time-to-die-with-british-gq/
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 3,164
    GMA interview with Eilish, Finneas and Zimmer
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    And that makes sense: it's where the song comes in the movie.

(I guess you could take that as a hint as to how long the PTS is)

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Can't wait for her performance tonight :)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    antovolk wrote: »
    GMA interview with Eilish, Finneas and Zimmer

HANS! $-)
    We need a 30 min interview with him next!
  • I like it! And being hyped, I had to put together a trailer featuring the theme! youtu.be/YtB3OaIn6MU
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    As they said in the GQ interview, they only got the PTS in script form, around 20 pages.
    First 20 pages doesn't necessarily mean just the PTS. We don't know how long 20 pages last in the film.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    jake24 wrote: »
    First 20 pages doesn't necessarily mean just the PTS. We don't know how long 20 pages last in the film.

I think the rule of thumb is that a page of script is roughly 1 minute of screen time.

Obviously not always the case, but it would be reasonable enough to assume that they were given the script to the point where the song comes in (as I believe Finneas suggests). Allowing for some action taking some screen time, 20 to 25 minutes is a good educated guess for the length of the PTS. Even on the shorter end it's looking like it could beat TWINE's 14 minutes.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

You guys should listen to this "epic cover of the new James Bond Theme for No Time To Die."
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Denbigh wrote: »

You guys should listen to this "epic cover of the new James Bond Theme for No Time To Die."

That's fantastic.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

L'Orchestra Cinématique, London based Orchestra covering all sorts of film scores, one of them the Bond theme

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Been subscribed to them for ages, they're great. Love that one too @Contraband :D
    Been subscribed to them for ages, they're great. Love that one too @Contraband :D

Info was mostly to all the others in here.. And yes, that version is pretty good. Damn good musicians
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Ryan wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

I think the rule of thumb is that a page of script is roughly 1 minute of screen time.

Obviously not always the case, but it would be reasonable enough to assume that they were given the script to the point where the song comes in (as I believe Finneas suggests). Allowing for some action taking some screen time, 20 to 25 minutes is a good educated guess for the length of the PTS. Even on the shorter end it's looking like it could beat TWINE's 14 minutes.

And in the case of TWINE the PTS was only supposed to be the bank and the first reveal of Renard being the sniper. But then the filmmakers thought it was too tame and crammed in the boat chase which not only meant making an unusually long PTS but a lot of the scenes had to be truncated as a result. That’s why the pace feels a bit off because originally all those scenes before the titles wold have played out longer with more breathing room.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    talos7 wrote: »
    I think the song really only encompasses the events of the PTS.
    Smart as usual, uh?
    BRITs live stream

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,518
    Contraband wrote: »

L'Orchestra Cinématique, London based Orchestra covering all sorts of film scores, one of them the Bond theme

This orchestra is great, and I have their version of the Spectre Trailer music (the OHMSS-esque track) on my 007 playlist but they made some very strange decisions with that piece of music creatively that holds it back from being a hit out of the park for me.
    Awaiting her performance on the Brit awards!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    She just performed. She sounded perfect.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Only caught the last bit of it; her voice sounded quite good. I hope someone can get a clip of this performance on here soon. Thanks.
    She just performed. She sounded perfect.

Agreed @Denbigh a fabulous performance by all
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    She was very good, no doubt. But Zimmer and Marr didn't have a lot to do. And then there were the fake finger nails...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It's a perfectly fine song. I did spend quite a chunk of the performance wondering what it would be like with a different performer singing it, though. There are certain quirks about Eilish's vocal style that just don't appeal to me. That chorus is still top notch, though.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Tweet with full performance coming in a few min... Hold on

BTW, She won 2020 International Female Solo Artist
    Billie rocked that performance. Wonderful to see them all together there. Amazing!
    That was great. Loved it!