NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,394
    Can we assume that the whole song (4 minutes) will be part of the title sequence? I believe that some songs were cut for the title sequence (for example LTK...maybe even SF?).
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Can we assume that the whole song (4 minutes) will be part of the title sequence

I think we should expect some edits. Songs have been consistently edited since TLD.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,033
    Can we assume that the whole song (4 minutes) will be part of the title sequence? I believe that some songs were cut for the title sequence (for example LTK...maybe even SF?).

I'm sure it'll be abridged in some form. The film version of Skyfall was about 30 seconds shorter than the album version, if memory serves.
    Thanks for the (very!) quick answer @MakeshiftPython
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Skyfall definitely was. NTTD probably will be too.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

I'm sure it'll be abridged in some form. The film version of Skyfall was about 30 seconds shorter than the album version, if memory serves.

Yup. In retrospect the GE edit was the most odd, cutting out the first chorus so that it’s one verse followed by another verse.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

I think the most logical place for a cut would be to have the song end with the long note in ‘die’, and then cut the repeat slow, downbeat chorus.

The final solemn repeat works for the song, but with Kleinman’s visuals, a more climactic ending might be better.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,394
    Never realised the cut in the GE song. Interesting. I would like it, if it would end with the long note in “die“ @DeerAtTheGates .
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,554
    Eiragorn wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    If Hip hop & Country gets into Bond....are we prepared for changes like Bond having a Haircut in a Barber's shop & riding a horse with a town's Sheriff?. Coz the music will surely affect the narrative....like Severine said 'Be careful what you wish for'.

I only imagine the terror inflicted when a Country artist lays hands on a Bond theme. The likes of Rita Coolidge, Sheryl Crow or kd lang can do no good...

Neither Rita Coolidge nor Sheryl Crow were strictly country--and by the late 80s, lang had moved out of that genre, too. Crow had more of a southern rock vibe. Coolidge was straight pop by the time she did OP. Her biggest hit, "Your Love Has Lifted Me Higher" was definitely a pop song. But I get your point: Crow's vocal stylings (similar to Bonnie Raitt) were a bit out of place. Coolidge was past her prime and is, to me, the oddest choice ever for a Bond song.
  • Daniel316Daniel316 United States
    So I realized I forgot to share my thoughts on the theme song. I think its easily the worst Bond Theme ever recorded, it Makes Sam Smith look like Chris Cornell and Smith was already truly awful, like it is impressive how bad this new theme song really is. Then again it seems to be a reflection of this new movie.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,554
    Eilish has a huge hit and it's another big catch for EON. Kudos to Billie and CJF.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/8551165/billie-eilish-no-time-to-die-uk-chart
    Daniel316 wrote: »
    So I realized I forgot to share my thoughts on the theme song. I think its easily the worst Bond Theme ever recorded, it Makes Sam Smith look like Chris Cornell and Smith was already truly awful, like it is impressive how bad this new theme song really is. Then again it seems to be a reflection of this new movie.

You're entitled to your opinion. Few share it, though:

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/billie-eilish-no-time-to-die-james-bond-theme-song-review-1203503942/

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/14/billie-eilish-no-time-to-die-review-bond-theme
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    When you can come up with a rap version of Othello, this should be possible for Bond, too. B-)

Example:
    "Now Othello got married to Desdemona.
    But he went off to the wars and he left her alona.
    It was a mona--A groana--He left her alona.
    He didn't write a letter and didn't telefona"
    (c) The Reduced Shakespeare Company" ;)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,157

Skyfall definitely was. NTTD probably will be too.
    WOTW was too. The "I'm prepared for this - This is something I got to face" part was cut. How long was the longest title sequence?
    The "try to hide your hand" part from YKMN was also cut (and the choir was used twice instead of thrice)
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    TripAces wrote: »
    If Hip hop & Country gets into Bond....are we prepared for changes like Bond having a Haircut in a Barber's shop & riding a horse with a town's Sheriff?. Coz the music will surely affect the narrative....like Severine said 'Be careful what you wish for'.

I only imagine the terror inflicted when a Country artist lays hands on a Bond theme. The likes of Rita Coolidge, Sheryl Crow or kd lang can do no good...

Neither Rita Coolidge nor Sheryl Crow were strictly country--and by the late 80s, lang had moved out of that genre, too. Crow had more of a southern rock vibe. Coolidge was straight pop by the time she did OP. Her biggest hit, "Your Love Has Lifted Me Higher" was definitely a pop song. But I get your point: Crow's vocal stylings (similar to Bonnie Raitt) were a bit out of place. Coolidge was past her prime and is, to me, the oddest choice ever for a Bond song.

I come to the realization that I as a non-native speaker should avoid irony for I don't have a deft enough hold of English :D The point I wanted to get across was that there already were country stylings present within the canon which were never called out neither felt out of place. Re: Hip Hop one could name Puff Daddy's Kashmir rework for Godzilla that meshes Hip Hop, a cinematic orchestra an Led Zeppelin. Also AWTD comes close to Hip Hop for the lyrics rely far more on complex rhythms than on the basic two tone melody.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    [quote="Eiragorn;c-1080913 Also AWTD comes close to Hip Hop for the lyrics rely far more on complex rhythms than on the basic two tone melody.[/quote]

Now, while it's a flawed song, I actually like AWTD, but in general it is not highly regarded, so we see how this approach went over.

• EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    edited February 2020 Posts: 108
    talos7 wrote: »
    [quote="Eiragorn;c-1080913 Also AWTD comes close to Hip Hop for the lyrics rely far more on complex rhythms than on the basic two tone melody.

Now, while it's a flawed song, I actually like AWTD, but in general it is not highly regarded, so we see how this approach went over.

[/quote]

I'm with you there and it's specifically these stylings that weren't too warmly received...
  • RyanRyan Canada
    edited February 2020 Posts: 692
    Then again it seems to be a reflection of this new movie.
    You've seen it already?
  • Daniel316Daniel316 United States
    I mean it in the sense that I feel the awfulness of the Song is gonna reflect how the movie will more than likely be tbh. I mean with every new news I hear about NTTD It makes Skyfall look more and more appealing (Skyfall is at the bottom of my ranking fyi). So no I have not seen the movie yet (I will at some point but I refuse to see it in theaters) but to me I think my opinion on the Theme Song is gonna end up reflecting what I think the movie will end up being like.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,707
    I mean it in the sense that I feel the awfulness of the Song is gonna reflect how the movie will more than likely be tbh. I mean with every new news I hear about NTTD It makes Skyfall look more and more appealing (Skyfall is at the bottom of my ranking fyi). So no I have not seen the movie yet (I will at some point but I refuse to see it in theaters) but to me I think my opinion on the Theme Song is gonna end up reflecting what I think the movie will end up being like.

What 007 films HAVE you seen in a theater and what makes this one different?
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 5,767
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Billie Eilish set for first UK Number 1 single with Bond theme No Time To Die
    https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/billie-eilish-set-for-first-uk-number-1-single-with-bond-theme-no-time-to-die__28690/
    billie-eilish-2020-tour-press-1100.jpg?width=796&mode=stretch

Looks like Billie is on track to get the second ever No.1 selling Bond song.....big win for NTTD.

What genius looks like...

cary-fukunaga-james-bond-011.jpg
    Do you mean it´s genius to look as if you´re coked up till the tips of your hair (I´m referring to the pic hidden in the "previous quote"), or that it´s genius to use a horrible performance of a mediocre song for a film merely on the basis that it´s going to top the charts?

He had the foresight to go after Eilish for this and it paid off. The whining over the song is pointless. It is a HUGE HIT. Win win win for NTTD, EON, and CJF.

If you don't like the song don't listen to it. Plug your ears during the titles.
    I´m such an egoist, caring more for my own fun and entertainment than for the film making tons of money and winning all kinds of awards. Not to mention speaking my opinion even if it´s not conform with the majority. Hang this blasphemist already.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,985
    [quote="Eiragorn;c-1080913 Also AWTD comes close to Hip Hop for the lyrics rely far more on complex rhythms than on the basic two tone melody.

I think AWTD it would have worked better as an instrumental IMO. It's those 'shouty' lyrics that ruin a pretty good music track.
    I enjoy how the two different singing styles come together (or not) during the refrain. It may not be the most perfect Bond song, but it is in the sense that it fits perfectly to the tilte sequence and to the film on the whole. I like the whole package very much.

See? I can also post positive comments :-).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,945

Er... what?
    There's many different genres and variations of hip-hop. I imagine if Bond ever gets a hip-hop song it would basically have a rapper doing verses with a featured singer doing the chorus, which is a very common staple. It would also likely have a much more cinematic sound, likely using a full orchestra for backing rather that just the use of samples.

After all, when Billie Eilish was approached for a Bond song she didn't deliver another "Bad Guy", she adopted to a sound that was more fitting for Bond and at the same time remaining true to her style of music.

Yeah exactly: I can see it working. I’d have been rather excited if they’d picked Stormzy for example. Hip-Hop can easily be big and dramatic and cinematic.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

I think AWTD it would have worked better as an instrumental IMO. It's those 'shouty' lyrics that ruin a pretty good music track.

Yeah, I agree....it has very Bondian instrumentals. Although, not like John Barry's OHMSS, but it was quite Good. I've thought AWTD was trying to follow YKMN's path. Coz it's opening sounds a bit similar to YKMN....just that the singing didn't quite click. If it had, maybe Skyfall's theme song might have been a Rock song too. I think it's coz Adele's SF did so well, that's why we might be having Ballads for now. I like Ballads though, but I would also like another Rock theme....maybe until Eon decide to go for a new direction again....possibly with the 7th Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There's many different genres and variations of hip-hop. I imagine if Bond ever gets a hip-hop song it would basically have a rapper doing verses with a featured singer doing the chorus, which is a very common staple. It would also likely have a much more cinematic sound, likely using a full orchestra for backing rather that just the use of samples.

After all, when Billie Eilish was approached for a Bond song she didn't deliver another "Bad Guy", she adopted to a sound that was more fitting for Bond and at the same time remaining true to her style of music.

Yeah didn’t they drop the first chorus or something?
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    edited February 2020 Posts: 58
    Interesting tidbit on the BBC news site today. An interview with Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connor. Apparently, Barbara Broccoli only gave them a hint about the opening sequence before they wrote the song. They allegedly didn't get the whole script.

If true, this means we can't draw any conclusions about the plot of the whole film, based solely on this song.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    zerozero wrote: »
    Interesting tidbit on the BBC news site today. An interview with Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connor. Apparently, Barbara Broccoli only gave them a hint about the opening sequence before they wrote the song. They allegedly didn't get the whole script.

If true, this means we can't draw any conclusions about the plot of the whole film, based solely on this song.

Maybe there's another part of the song that deliberately hasn't been released yet! :-O
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think the song really only encompasses the events of the PTS.