NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mtm wrote: »
    Gosh, aren't abbreviations easy to read? :D WHATTITW indeed ;)
    jake24 wrote: »
    I look forward to fan reactions over EON hiring a hip-hop artist for their title song.
    There are actually several who would probably do a stellar job.

Yeah I think it could happen at some point: I can see it working.

Please no, somethings should not be combined; I like steak and I like ice cream but I don’t want my steak topped with ice cream.

I get not connecting with a song emotionally when everyone else does. It can be frustrating.
    Thank you for your compassion :-).
    With all the back and forth and and analysis of whether this is an appropriate, good, bad or otherwise Bond theme and comparing it to other themes (personally, I like NTTD) I am so glad to have lived through a Bond era where we just enjoyed everything about Bond because there was nothing but the first three. It was all good and the best. (Not to mention "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." every week to keep the spy vibes going)
    Is it really any surprise whatsoever the song is riding high on the charts and getting countless likes and positive reactions? Billie Eilish is only probably the hottest performer on the planet right now, coming off massive success at the Grammys and a prime performance slot at the Oscars?

A lot of the above could very well play into the interest of the NTTD track, so let's not use that too much into proclaiming it an instant classic. Maybe we should all give it some distance to see where it all falls. I'm one of the few who don't mind the Sam Smith track, but I was baffled to see it win an Oscar.

I liked NTTD a little better on my latest listen, but won't apologize for thinking it reminds me of Garbage's TWINE theme, one of my least favorites. I like the music more than the vocals this time around, which doesn't equate to my having any dislike for the vocalist. I'm also willing to keep an open mind and hope the keyword "grows" that so many others have posted about it can help my feelings about it. Bring on the title sequence.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,861
    talos7 wrote: »
    I look forward to fan reactions over EON hiring a hip-hop artist for their title song.

Please no, somethings should not be combined; I like steak and I like ice cream but I don’t want my steak topped with ice cream.

We've had ballads, crooning, rock, pop, dance, MOR, indie rock, R'n'B... I don't see why a hip hop track wouldn't work. There's an awful lot of variance within the world of hip hop: it doesn't even necessarily mean losing the brassy stuff or singing.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,261
    I think, Matt07 was referring to Cheryl Crow. *cough*

I don't get it. Who's Cheryl Crow?

MakeshiftPython posted he liked the TND song by Cheryl Crrow, then Matt007 wrote, he preferred a TND song by Sheryl Crow. Got it now? ;) B-) :bz It's like David Bowie and Derek Bowie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Erm, okay.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,000
    For the record, I do NOT like the Sheryl Crow song.

"GoldenEye" and "Die Another Day" are the only Brosnan era songs I like.

We've had ballads, crooning, rock, pop, dance, MOR, indie rock, R'n'B... I don't see why a hip hop track wouldn't work. There's an awful lot of variance within the world of hip hop: it doesn't even necessarily mean losing the brassy stuff or singing.

I would say the same concerning Country Western, and Polka.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think a country song could work: I’d even say something like Nobody Does it Better has a lean towards a country feel. You’re being silly with Polka.
    Do you listen to much hip hop?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    For the record, I do NOT like the Sheryl Crow song.

"GoldenEye" and "Die Another Day" are the only Brosnan era songs I like.

Okay, so you DON'T like Sheryl Crow's TND and you DON'T like Cheryl Crow's version either, right? :D ;) :bz :-h

I think a country song could work: I’d even say something like Nobody Does it Better has a lean towards a country feel. You’re being silly with Polka.

Enough to know that I don't think it, like country western , suits Bond.

I agree. I think Bond music transcends genres. Hip hop, country, etc could all feasibly work if it compliments the style and tone for a particular film.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    If Hip hop & Country gets into Bond....are we prepared for changes like Bond having a Haircut in a Barber's shop & riding a horse with a town's Sheriff?. Coz the music will surely affect the narrative....like Severine said 'Be careful what you wish for'.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    If Hip hop & Country gets into Bond....are we prepared for changes like Bond having a Haircut in a Barber's shop & riding a horse with a town's Sheriff?. Coz the music will surely affect the narrative....like Severine said 'Be careful what you wish for'.

I’m not sure what do with this statement. Is this a joke?

edited February 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Burgess wrote: »

I’m not sure what do with this statement. Is this a joke?

That's why I said 'Be careful what you wish for'...it wasn't my idea....just asking Members who said they want a Hip hop or Country Bond theme, if they're sure about what they want.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    There's many different genres and variations of hip-hop. I imagine if Bond ever gets a hip-hop song it would basically have a rapper doing verses with a featured singer doing the chorus, which is a very common staple. It would also likely have a much more cinematic sound, likely using a full orchestra for backing rather that just the use of samples.

After all, when Billie Eilish was approached for a Bond song she didn't deliver another "Bad Guy", she adopted to a sound that was more fitting for Bond and at the same time remaining true to her style of music.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'm reminded of the scene in The Blues Brothers, wherein Elwood cautiously asks the club owner what kind of music his clientele like.

Response: Oh, we got BOTH kinds. We got Country AND Western!

Of course Hip-hop can sound Cinematic....similar to what Kendrick Lamar & SZA did for Black Panther. But I really can't see how that would suit Bond....I would understand if a Band like Hurts, Take That, Imagine Dragons or Daft Punk tackles it....not that they particularly suit Bond. But if there's ever a need to modernize the theme song, these Bands can create something better. But still I think Bond Music will never change. It will always be Ballads & occasionally, Rock songs....with modern takes.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    boldfinger wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Billie Eilish set for first UK Number 1 single with Bond theme No Time To Die
    https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/billie-eilish-set-for-first-uk-number-1-single-with-bond-theme-no-time-to-die__28690/
    billie-eilish-2020-tour-press-1100.jpg?width=796&mode=stretch

Looks like Billie is on track to get the second ever No.1 selling Bond song.....big win for NTTD.

What genius looks like...

cary-fukunaga-james-bond-011.jpg
    Do you mean it´s genius to look as if you´re coked up till the tips of your hair (I´m referring to the pic hidden in the "previous quote"), or that it´s genius to use a horrible performance of a mediocre song for a film merely on the basis that it´s going to top the charts?

He had the foresight to go after Eilish for this and it paid off. The whining over the song is pointless. It is a HUGE HIT. Win win win for NTTD, EON, and CJF.

If you don't like the song don't listen to it. Plug your ears during the titles.

ggl007 wrote: »

I wonder if she's performing the song on GMA for US audiences, then jetting off to the UK for the Brit Awards?

• ggl007 wrote: »

According to her Instagram stories, Billie is already in London. Plus, tomorrow is the day of the actual Brits......I assume this is a pre-recorded interview.

Plus the Brits have already proclaimed that they have the 'exclusive' first performance of NTTD. So don't expect any live performance.

I'd assume that we may get some kind of pre-recorded interview OR perhaps the music video!!!

A cool cover
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia

I only imagine the terror inflicted when a Country artist lays hands on a Bond theme. The likes of Rita Coolidge, Sheryl Crow or kd lang can do no good...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2020 Posts: 17,729

Do you know, @mtm, I was thinking exactly the same myself about 'Nobody Dies it Better' when I was listening to it on the compilation CD of the Bond themes in my car. I thought it had a rather country inflection at times in the tune. Funnily enough, I don't think I'd ever really noticed that as much before as on my most recent listens. I'm not sure a full country song would work though as a Bond theme unless they adapted the Western aspects ('Spectreville' and Seraffimo Spang) of the DAF novel at some point!
    Eiragorn wrote: »

I only imagine the terror inflicted when a Country artist lays hands on a Bond theme. The likes of Rita Coolidge, Sheryl Crow or kd lang can do no good...

Country/folk rock singers who crossed over to adult rock; their roots are not found in their Bond songs.
    I actually like all three of their songs , although Crowe was not up for the more strenuous parts of TND.

I believe Johnny Cash had his Thunderball theme rejected....and Cash was basically a Country Singer. So that means Country music & Bond can't sync.
    I believe Johnny Cash had his Thunderball theme rejected....and Cash was basically a Country Singer. So that means Country music & Bond can't sync.

Well, it was rejected...

• RyanRyan Canada
    We've had Britpop, Europop, hard rock, adult contemporary, jazz, modern pop... the list goes on. It's not like the themes have ever stuck to a single genre. It's in the chord progressions and melody selection that the Bond sound comes from.