NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    talos7 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone's posted this: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/billie-eilish-no-time-to-die-oscars-performance-apple-music-interview-952832/

You know what’s funny about it? Like, two years ago, we were like, ‘Wouldn’t it be crazy to make a song for the Bond movies, and, like, wouldn’t that be dope?’ ” she explained. “And so, kind of for two years-ish, we’ve been subconsciously trying to … in our own way. And, like, we’ve written songs that have never come out that are like, ‘Oh, this sounds like Bond, like, this would be dope, like, it would never happen, whatever.’ And then this offer came up and we were like, ‘Ahhh!’

It was honestly, like, a great process,” she said after they were tapped to pen the song. “We got a piece of the script, like the first scene, and then wrote the song immediately. And we wrote it in three days, and we wrote it in Texas, and we recorded it in a bunk on the bus, in the basement in the dark.

It was a team effort as well. “I thought it would just be like, here’s the song and they take it, and then they, then I would have no say,” Eilish said. “But they actually were completely, they really wanted to know what I think.… We worked with Hans [Zimmer] and the entire orchestra. They recorded all of the orchestra when we went there.” They continued to work together to bring it to where it is now. “It went through a lot of different versions and then we got it,” she said. “We all worked really hard. Hans was incredibly easy to work with and he’s so funny, and it was a really good collaborative experience.

“ Like” really?

Ok boomer

I wear the label Boomer with a badge of honor. We are supporting most of what came after , and the quality of music, art , movies and scientific advancements of our generation are unparalleled.

Am a Boomer ? Damn straight I am , even if on the edge of Gen X. 😎🤟🏼

This is the reason i admire your generation. Most of my generation are simps or bunch of whiny snowflakes.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,999
    This is getting good.

The generation that grew up with the Beatles are now telling the youth to get a haircut.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,518
    Maybe we can discuss James Bond.

Sam Smith just releases “To Die For”, wonder if he was half working on something for the new film?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This is getting good.

The generation that grew up with the Beatles are now telling the youth to get a haircut.

That’s your comparison? Like, wow.
    Point being that older generations being perplexed by younger ones are as old as time. I’m sure millennials becoming senior citizens will be as baffled by the youth of the 2050s.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    To really appreciate Billie's minimalistic approach and the quality of the song, please listen through some quality headphones/ speakers and not some tinny micro speaker on your cellphone/ laptop. Only then one can truly judge.

I've listened to it using both and my judgment didn't change, I still love it :D
    Walecs wrote: »
    To really appreciate Billie's minimalistic approach and the quality of the song, please listen through some quality headphones/ speakers and not some tinny micro speaker on your cellphone/ laptop. Only then one can truly judge.

I've listened to it using both and my judgment didn't change, I still love it :D

I listened to it headphones first and boy was it good.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Walecs wrote: »

Same, but it helps with headphones more.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Ryan wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Horses for courses but I think Cornell’s song is poor. He is singing out of his range for the chorus and he struggles to deliver IMO. It’s dad rock.

Out of his range? That's not even Cornell's highest register.

Ok but to my ears it sounds like he’s forcing it out.

Fair enough. He did alter his approach to singing the song in general when performing live in his final years. I'd recommend checking out one of his acoustic renditions.

That is Cornell's style he isn't forcing it out at all.

I never said he was. Matt007 said it sounded like he was and it's one of the reasons he doesn't care for the song, so I suggested he check out one of Cornell's acoustic versions of the song where he softens his approach to the chorus.

I was replying to him not you, I thought quoting your post with an answer to his would make that clear, apologies for the mistake.

Obviously a Cornell fan and like YKMN, Cornell sounds incredible on that track, don't know what hes going on about.
    Better than every Craig theme other than Adele's, and for me it ties with You Know My Name in 2nd place. Skyfall is definitely the better song, being more unique whereas this one feels a bit "generic Bond song". But honestly I don't mind "generic" in this sense, sometimes you just need a good old fashioned Bond-sounding theme, and this one nails that for sure.

Also, this song feels like an appropriately emotive tone for Craig's farewell, whereas You Know My Name had the appropriate angry rock anthem style to jumpstart his tenure. I don't think a hard-rock song would've worked as others have suggested, because this is the last Craig movie and should be appropriate to that fact.

Overall a pleasant surprise of a song given how awful Spectre's was.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    You Know my name is a brilliant title to kick off the new era.

A ballad would have been wholly inappropriate to kick off Craig's era. The decision to go with the song rather than the marketing angle, meaning they weren't looking for the flavour of the month but the best combination that would deliver a tune that would signal this is a new era a new beginning and a new Bond.

I don't really think they could have done better than what Cornell delivered.

Also anyone putting WOTW over YKMN I really can't take seriously.

+1
    Octopussy wrote: »

A ballad would have been wholly inappropriate to kick off Craig's era. The decision to go with the song rather than the marketing angle, meaning they weren't looking for the flavour of the month but the best combination that would deliver a tune that would signal this is a new era a new beginning and a new Bond.

+1
    +2

• TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    Maybe not the strongest title as a song in itself but I have the feeling that it will work very well in the movie. And that is most important to me when it comes to the title track. So I am quite happy with it.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Smart girl.

Mods, I'm posting the robot thing. If you don't find appropriate, just tell me and I'll delete it.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Couldn't agree more with this.
    Horses for courses but I think Cornell’s song is poor. He is singing out of his range for the chorus and he struggles to deliver IMO. It’s dad rock.

Fair enough. He did alter his approach to singing the song in general when performing live in his final years. I'd recommend checking out one of his acoustic renditions.

I never said he was. Matt007 said it sounded like he was and it's one of the reasons he doesn't care for the song, so I suggested he check out one of Cornell's acoustic versions of the song where he softens his approach to the chorus.

I was replying to him not you, I thought quoting your post with an answer to his would make that clear, apologies for the mistake.

Obviously a Cornell fan and like YKMN, Cornell sounds incredible on that track, don't know what hes going on about.

I don’t like Cornell’s voice. Just my opinion. I think the outro where he shouts “you know my name” 3-4 times at the end sounds like he’s aiming beyond his natural register. He might be able to hit the notes but it sounds strangulated to me.
  • RC7RC7

I don’t like Cornell’s voice. Just my opinion. I think the outro where he shouts “you know my name” 3-4 times at the end sounds like he’s aiming beyond his natural register. He might be able to hit the notes but it sounds strangulated to me.

It’s rock! Not a school recital.

It's just the way his voice sounded in that higher register. It had a bit of that "raspy" quality to it. Another example below:

The only cheesy bit of his song is when he wails “SPIN OF THE WHEEEEEEELLLLLLLL”, which happens to be omitted from the title credits.
  • RyanRyan Canada

No need to apologize, it was just as easily me not realizing you were responding to the initial discussion. As a side note, I too am a huge Cornell fan.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Okay, Cornell fans, let's get back to Billie. :)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The best compliment I can give NTTD is that I have listened to the track more in the last few days than I have listened to SF and TWOTW put together.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    The best compliment I can give NTTD is that I have listened to the track more in the last few days than I have listened to SF and TWOTW put together.
    I'm with you on that. I'm sure the newness will wear off, but for now I'm hooked. Stylistically it's not much different from the last two and yet it just seems to stick with me more. The melodies are memorable yet haunting, and the lyrics might be among the best Bond lyrics.

I am also over the moon to have had the composer involved with the song again. I cannot wait for this score.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The song debuted at ¢1 on Spotify's Global Chart with 7.17 million streams.
    Wow, after this theme came out I realized that a lot of people hated Sam Smith's song?

I think he is a talented singer and did a good job

Sure, I didn't like the song too much, but after listening it now...I think it's even more "up-tempo" than Eilish's song

Both songs are in the same tier of "eh" for me, but I guess they are better than QoS
    I’ll take AWTD any day over Smith’s whiny, pleading, whimpering effort. I can understand why people don’t like AWTD, I may be one of three persons who actually like it, but it’s more musically Bondian than most people give it credit for. Faults aside, it’s a song that reflects where Bond is following the events of CR. It’s disjointed, uncomfortable and dirty, but it’s also got some killer horns that are pure 007.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Wow, after this theme came out I realized that a lot of people hated Sam Smith's song?

I think he is a talented singer and did a good job

Sure, I didn't like the song too much, but after listening it now...I think it's even more "up-tempo" than Eilish's song

Both songs are in the same tier of "eh" for me, but I guess they are better than QoS

WOTW is a gorgeous song, musically and lyrically. It's the falsetto that feels out of place.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,518
    Vulnerability is powerful; Daniel Craig, an actor, would be the first person to tell you that.
    I think WOTW and NTTD are both from Bond's perspective.
    WOTW being from Bond’s perspective is one of the reasons it such a failure, that and the equally weak vocal. It’s possible that Bond can be vulnerable, but he would never expose himself as that needy.

+1

YKNM is the best song in the franchise since TLD.