NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Why is Billie always singing so "low" and "whisperish"

Because that's her voice, unfortunately.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    Bond standing in front of that tomb (you know who) with a written note "forgive me"

Ok I was trying to read that to I wonder if it's from Vesper or Madeleine?

Initially, I thought Madeleine, but now given what we know of the film and it's attempt to wrap up the entire Craig era, I'd have to say Vesper. I'd much prefer it to be Madeleine as I feel that trying to cap off all five films in one will be a hindrance to this film.

I'd also argue that they closed the Vesper narrative in Quantum of Solace with the ending of the film. It's at least implied that Bond facing Yusef allows him to come to peace with Vesper's death. I will without question be wrong though and I'm sure the note is from Vesper in NTTD. The theory that Craig visits Vesper's grave and then its attacked I think is highly likely, IMO. It makes sense that Vesper would be burried in Matera given it's about an hour or so flight from Venice.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I might have missed this - is there a high def video out there of the recent trailer 2 (1920x1080)?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Is that some kind of logo on the note? Relevant at all?

eCe99kq.jpg

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 13,929
    I'd say the header logo is custom made for the film. A fictional hotel A5 letterhead.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    The hotel which Bond and Vesper stayed at in St. Marks square was never confirmed or mentioned. No doubt if this is a letter from Vesper, as mentioned you'd assume that would be the letterhead of the hotel from that point in time.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    There's a Shakespeare & Greek Mythology feel about NTTD....little things playing key roles....the mask & burning piece of paper for example.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    My first thought was that it might be a faded version of...

dd9a9a26-e715-4fb7-a89a-93fd84b75f84

But I don't think so.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Univex wrote: »
    So Bond burns a note (with his handwriting) in front of
    Vesper's
    grave, with the words "forgive me". Dr. Swann is doing a good job ;) Or is she?

My take on it, anyway.

That's interesting...

Check...
    Craig's handwriting:

Daniel_Craig.jpg

7578225-1-2.jpg&width=960

And compare...

eCe99kq.jpg
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    So Bond burns a note (with his handwriting) in front of
    Vesper's
    grave, with the words "forgive me". Dr. Swann is doing a good job ;) Or is she?

My take on it, anyway.

That's interesting...

Check...
    Craig's handwriting:

Daniel_Craig.jpg

7578225-1-2.jpg&width=960

And compare...

eCe99kq.jpg
    *Now* that makes a ton of sense...for it to be Bond who writes that note and burns it
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Yes, when I wrote that I had in consideration that it was
    Craig's handwriting
    By now, I know it when I see it. It's got a lot of character :)

So I think that's
    his message. His exorcism of the soul, so to speak
    written on the hotel's A5 complimentary book.
  • 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    Guys I covered this see my earlier post? Why the speculation it’s obvious he wrote it without comparing handwriting samples.
    00Dalton7 wrote: »
    Guys I covered this see my earlier post? Why the speculation it’s obvious he wrote it without comparing handwriting samples.

Matera festive tradition. Got it.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    edited February 2020 Posts: 630
    I see all of this related to the Matera procession.
    While it's not a real Italian or Materan tradition, I can imagine that they use the "burning piece of paper with what you want to ask your dead" thing as related to the festivity we see in the movie. And we see Madeleine burning paper and Bond burning paper
    I see all of this related to the Matera procession.
    While it's not a real Italian or Materan tradition, I can imagine that they use the "burning piece of paper with what you want to ask your dead" thing as related to the festivity we see in the movie. And we see Madeleine burning paper and Bond burning paper

Bingo.

Damn, Barbara really wasn't kidding when she said Bond goes through a big emotional journey in this film...
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Do we think the story begins in Matera (PTS) and then cuts to 5 years later with Bond alone in Jamaica?

Credit everyone involved in this film, less than two months before it's released and we're still unsure about all most everything. It's really exciting
  • 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    Yep, I’d wager that unless the chase continues from the train station to the bridge jump, that it will cut to the title sequence after Bond and Maddy say “this is it” to one another.

• Jordo007 wrote: »
    Do we think the story begins in Matera (PTS) and then cuts to 5 years later with Bond alone in Jamaica?

Credit everyone involved in this film, less than two months before it's released and we're still unsure about all most everything. It's really exciting

It’s looking likely that the opening of the film is young Madeleine on the lake with Safin. Then we either go straight into the Matera scenes or Matera comes after the main titles.

So much is dependent on how long the lake sequence is…it could be a good 5 minutes of screentime or it may be a few brief flashes.

It would be odd to have a Bond film not open with Bond…it could be an strange note to go into the title song with.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    [deleted]
    Jordo007 wrote: »

It’s looking likely that the opening of the film is young Madeleine on the lake with Safin. Then we either go straight into the Matera scenes or Matera comes after the main titles.

So much is dependent on how long the lake sequence is…it could be a good 5 minutes of screentime or it may be a few brief flashes.

It would be odd to have a Bond film not open with Bond…it could be an strange note to go into the title song with.

Someone oo the title song thread said the song is called "Trapped Under Ice", and if this is true, then that suggests the PTS is at the ice lake and then we cut to the titles/song and then meet Bond and Madeleine in Matera after the titles.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Someone oo the title song thread said the song is called "Trapped Under Ice", and if this is true, then that suggests the PTS is at the ice lake and then we cut to the titles/song and then meet Bond and Madeleine in Matera after the titles.
    Weren't they just joking @ColonelSun?

Anyway, my bet is we open Norway leading into Matera, with Matera leading to titles. Then I think we'll open with the kidnapping of the scientist (in London?), giving us space from Bond to create the idea of him being away for a long time, then I think we'll go to Jamaica. I'd love if M's line about "getting 007" cuts to Jamaica like the trailer does, and we don't see Nomi yet.

I'd like it if we saw her trail Bond in Jamaica like the photographer in Dr. No, before we eventually learn she's 007, and M was asking for her. I know we've heard rumours of walking into M's office for her mission, but I just think this trailing idea is much more interesting and would be a cool reference and switch on the reference itself.

Anyway, then we got to Cuba, then back to London and then I'm not sure where because I think we go back to Norway (with Scotland doubling a lot of it) but then I'm not sure cause I'm not if they're gonna be in Norway the whole of the third act as well.
    I think if it's the lake sequence with no Bond, it will feel somewhat underwhelming after nearly 5 years away, we get no huge stunt in the title sequence. But if it's Matera, it seems like there is a lot to unpack to see the least.
    So if it is Matera it could be the longest pre title sequence of the series.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @Jordo007 which would make sense if this is supposedly the longest Bond film. I know they ruled out 3 hours but Spectre was only 2hrs 28mins, a lot of room for NTTD. I know it could still be long without Matera being part of the PTS but I just think it makes sense structurally, especially if the rest of your film is so long.

I can't imagine the Norway sequence being longer than Skyfall or Spectre's opening sequences, so to have an even shorter sequence followed by 2 and a half hours lets say, again, doesn't work as much structurally - to me anyway. I think it'd be good to split those sequences up.

The opening of your film gives you a brief flashback or whatever you wanna call it. Shows us what happened with Bond and Madeleine, then the whole film after the title sequence is present day.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    For the handwritten note, I read
    It’s not “Him”, it’s “You”

But I may be in the minority.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2020 Posts: 10,512
    I personally think the opening scene may be relatively brief, in the mould of CR (or QoS for that matter).
    @Denbigh yeah mate, I definitely think it'll be a long one, maybe not 3 hours but it'll blow Spectre out the water I think
    As for the PTS I think they'll want to bring Bond back with a bang, at least I'd hope so

@
    RC7 wrote: »
    I personally think the opening scene may be relatively brief, in the mould of CR (or QoS for that matter).

What makes you think that mate?

Yes, that's what I am feeling. The Matera scenes seem like they will take up a fair chunk of time, perhaps too long for pre-title. A snappy pre-title at the ice lake (without Bond) might be smart and fresh way to kick off this film. In a few weeks, we will know.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I wouldn't mind a short, but hugely, significant opening without Bond....I don't think that will affect the film....it's not new....since we've already had something similar in LALD, and partially in FRWL & TMWTGG. At the moment, it's looking like a suspenseful opener....Safin and the little girl...but of course, nothing is written in stone.

Yes, that's what I am feeling. The Matera scenes seem like they will take up a fair chunk of time, perhaps too long for pre-title. A snappy pre-title at the ice lake (without Bond) might be smart and fresh way to kick off this film. In a few weeks, we will know.

Which means there'll be a sizeable time jump in the actual film, which I believe we've never had before (the time jumps in GE and DAD were broken up by the main title sequence).
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The reason I think Norway and Matera will be the PTS as it will seem weird to start in the past and then have the titles and still be in the past.

I think Maddy will wake from a dream recollection of the Norway sequence leading us into Matera.

Also having the film dissolve into the titles after Bond puts Maddy on the train seems to make sense, @peter and I have discussed this and to me it makes sense.

We'll likely get possibly the longest PTS of the DC era but starting the film after the credits likely in London, the time space the rest of the film will continue with.

That is my thinking but I might be wrong.

Which means there'll be a sizeable time jump in the actual film, which I believe we've never had before (the time jumps in GE and DAD were broken up by the main title sequence).

Yes, it would mean that, but the ice lake seems to be set in the past (perhaps 20 years back), so we have a big time jump to Matera anyway. The alternative - to just the ice lake opening the film - is a very long pre-title, probably the longest ever, with the ice lake, and then a big time jump to the action in Matera. Then the titles/song followed by another time jump to Jamaica. Three big time jumps. We've never had that before.