NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The visitor's tag for access--just being military or civil servant doesn't guarantee access a building like SIS/MI6, there are access rosters and coded ID cards and other recognition. Plus badges are worn on site, a current employee would have one (with current coding updated over time) but a "new" individual or visitor wouldn't.

Something else: Felix clearly calls Bond "brother", while that's not literally the case.

At least it's not yet been revealed in the films so far.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,526
    The only time he's referred to as "Commander" in the trailer is after Nomi says "The world's moved on, Commander Bond" which could be just taking a shot at him, like 'remember when you were a Commander?' I wouldn't take this as gospel that Bond is a Commander in this point in the film.
    I did think though you just retained this prefix even after you left service, assuming it wasn't dishonourably (similar to Presidents, etc).

At this point we know nothing about Bond's current status in naval intelligence at all, whether it be Commander or 007, and we know nothing about who's holding the 007 mantle at this point, which is great.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    The visitor's tag for access--just being military or civil servant doesn't guarantee access a building like SIS/MI6, there are access rosters and coded ID cards and other recognition. Plus badges are worn on site, a current employee would have one (with current coding updated over time) but a "new" individual or visitor wouldn't.

Something else: Felix clearly calls Bond "brother", while that's not literally the case.

At least it's not yet been revealed in the films so far.

Why would he have a visitors badge if he isn't guaranteed access all this is a bit confusing?
    The only time he's referred to as "Commander" in the trailer is after Nomi says "The world's moved on, Commander Bond" which could be just taking a shot at him, like 'remember when you were a Commander?' I wouldn't take this as gospel that Bond is a Commander in this point in the film.
    I did think though you just retained this prefix even after you left service, assuming it wasn't dishonourably (similar to Presidents, etc).

At this point we know nothing about Bond's current status in naval intelligence at all, whether it be Commander or 007, and we know nothing about who's holding the 007 mantle at this point, which is great.

How would she know he is a commander or who he is if she is new sounds to me he is still technically there not actively though until now.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 13,006
    In that case I take it as addressing Bond with the proper respect, while simultaneously trying to put him in his place. As either arrogance or insecurity or both.

Arrogance can't be unusual for an MI6 agent. Especially for a new one.
    My experience is when a servicemember formally retires, they can be known as [rank], Retired. Different than presidents and general officers. [While keeping mind for the film it doesn't matter, known associates can call Bond "Commander" whether or not it's his official status. There are plenty of reasons to say it out loud for effect. In civil service I regularly address a former First Sergeant with the moniker "Top", when in reality he hasn't been that since the 20th Century.]
    That is something to to enjoy while we can as you said, @NickTwentyTwo.

UPDATE.

Visitor's Badges are worn in secure areas for visual recognition that a person is authorized to be there. Valuable protocol.

Nomi must know Bond's history and status to make contact the way she did. But what she said out loud doesn't confirm his status a Commander or otherwise. Regardless, James Bond is a Commander as we all know, nothing less until he's promoted.

talos7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Maybe Bond can regain the number 007 in Bond 26, with the new actor. Not sure I like the idea of him being out of MI6 by the end of NTTD, if that was to be the case.

He likely will be 007 in Bond 26 because it will probably be an entirely new incarnation of the character, one separate from the self contained “ Craig Universe “

That may be so, it may also be the logical dramatic result of the events of NTTD, but all the same, I can't say I like it. Abd I know it's irrational.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Commander isn t an MI6 title, though. It is a rank within the navy and air force.
  • Commander isn t an MI6 title, though. It is a rank within the navy and air force.

It's fairly common in Intelligence services to 'hire' members from other services, like the military or the police. They'd maintain their rank but be "on secondment" to Intelligence for the length of their contract.
    octofinger wrote: »
    Commander isn t an MI6 title, though. It is a rank within the navy and air force.

It's fairly common in Intelligence services to 'hire' members from other services, like the military or the police. They'd maintain their rank but be "on secondment" to Intelligence for the length of their contract.

So Bond moved to another branch?

I think you're right about the security services taking being people from the military. Used to be the case anyway.
    Getafix wrote: »

I think you're right about the security services taking being people from the military. Used to be the case anyway.

So Bond is moved to a different branch then.
  • Nobody knows. The movie hasn't come out yet.
    Just because you CAN post every day, doesn't mean you should.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,126
    Nobody knows. The movie hasn't come out yet.
    Just because you CAN post every day, doesn't mean you should.

@Safin_Unmasked you talking to me. What's your issue? I'm a member. I can ask questions or you the new m? one of more reasons this place is becoming more toxic.
  • It's exhausting to read spam every day.
    It's exhausting to read spam every day.

Me commenting is spam? We are having a discussion and speculation what's wrong with that?
  • You're asking questions nobody except the people who made the movie know. Are you expecting an answer from anyone here?
    You're asking questions nobody except the people who made the movie know. Are you expecting an answer from anyone here?

How you know that? It's just a question. I'm wondering what people think.
  • I'm pretty sure nobody here knows the exact machinations of MI6 office politics and interdepartmental shuffling that led to Bond wearing what might be a visitor tag in some NTTD set photos. Even if they did, the answer wouldn't be interesting. But please, keep posting single sentences 40 times a day.
    I'm pretty sure nobody here knows the exact machinations of MI6 office politics and interdepartmental shuffling that led to Bond wearing what might be a visitor tag in some NTTD set photos. Even if they did, the answer wouldn't be interesting. But please, keep posting single sentences 40 times a day.

? Single sentences? Am I supposed to write paragraphs?
    He meets with M in his office wearing the visitors tag. There was a screenshot of filming that scene around the time prince Charles visited
    It's exhausting to read spam every day.

You’ve been here for one minute, half of your entire post count is this pointless argument with an established member. Don’t be a dick. #PanchitoPistolesMulti
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    He meets with M in his office wearing the visitors tag. There was a screenshot of filming that scene around the time prince Charles visited

It seems like it would make a lot of sense that Bond wouldn’t have any clearances in MI6 anymore. His retirement in Spectre was pretty cut and dry, and compounding this is that NTTD Bond will begin in Jamaica.
    Deleted
    one thing to note on billie eilish one of her big hits was on climate change she is a big climate change activist looks like that's the villains scheme is to destroy the planet and it goes along with the environment rumors.
    https://www.iheartradio.ca/news/billie-eilish-takes-on-climate-change-1.10022820
  • BMWTREKPSEBMWTREKPSE Colorado
    New James Bond Heineken commercial posted on Instagram

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Mini teaser with footage from the trailer

• RC7RC7
    Contraband wrote: »
    Mini teaser with footage from the trailer

It’s been posted a few times already.
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    z1988 wrote: »

Interesting. I was about to post on the same topic myself!
    I presume we’re still earmarking super bowl half time showing for trailer 2 so I was thinking maybe late next week release online perhaps.

Has anyone hear any other rumblings?

🍸
    The world premiere is set.