NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Maybe they don't want to follow the marketing strategy of SP....where they released numerous trailers & TV spots that fans were able to couple the story together before release....they might just be confident that audiences have really missed James bond....and that when the film is released, there will surely be an influx in attendance in cinemas....coz one thing is certain....no matter the situation, Bond films are assured of success & and don't bomb at the box-office....and by now, the whole world is already aware there's a Bond film on the horizon. If am asked, I don't want another trailer....maybe Zimmer releasing one or two tracks & Eilish releasing her song, can keep me going before the film's release.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    antovolk wrote: »
    To be honest I'll be very surprised if the second trailer isn't with Birds of Prey - Mulan aside, which I'm not sure how suitable it will be as a PG family title for a 12A film (and trailer), BoP really is their last shot. However if that slips by us then I'm certain we'll get something in February, with tickets on sale and all.

But @antovolk they also missed that with first trailer by not releasing with star wars and other big films . They might drop the second trailer unannounced as well.

Uh, they didn't - the first trailer was indeed released in time to play with Star Wars...saw it on the IMAX screen here on the opening weekend.

Huh didn't knew that....most of the people here complaining that they didn't got to see it in theatres. Thanks

It was attached to 1917 whan I saw it last weekend.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    To be honest I'll be very surprised if the second trailer isn't with Birds of Prey - Mulan aside, which I'm not sure how suitable it will be as a PG family title for a 12A film (and trailer), BoP really is their last shot. However if that slips by us then I'm certain we'll get something in February, with tickets on sale and all.

But @antovolk they also missed that with first trailer by not releasing with star wars and other big films . They might drop the second trailer unannounced as well.

Uh, they didn't - the first trailer was indeed released in time to play with Star Wars...saw it on the IMAX screen here on the opening weekend.

Huh didn't knew that....most of the people here complaining that they didn't got to see it in theatres. Thanks

Same for me. I saw 1917 and Knives Out this month, and the trailer was attached to both.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    00Agent wrote: »

Same for me. I saw 1917 and Knives Out this month, and the trailer was attached to both.

Not attached to KO here. At least not when I saw it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    If I was EON I'd want a trailer with The Rhythm Section to try and get the film more attention.
  • RC7RC7
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm shocked they are missing out on a big audience this marketing team really has mishandled this film maybe they didn't want to pay the 5 million dollar fee

Judge them when the box office takings are logged.
    I'm shocked they are missing out on a big audience this marketing team really has mishandled this film maybe they didn't want to pay the 5 million dollar fee

Based on articles posted here and elsewhere, most studios have skipped the Super Bowl. I guess we have to look at it as $6 million for one thirty second ad buy or $6 million allocated to multiple TV spots throughout February/March/April.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if marketing extends into late April. Just off the top of my head we have things like the Nokia advert and Adidas shoe/apparel that will probably run into mid Spring.

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,126
    Burgess wrote: »

Based on articles posted here and elsewhere, most studios have skipped the Super Bowl. I guess we have to look at it as $6 million for one thirty second ad buy or $6 million allocated to multiple TV spots throughout February/March/April.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if marketing extends into late April. Just off the top of my head we have things like the Nokia advert and Adidas shoe/apparel that will probably run into mid Spring.

That's true @Burgess the super bowl I have been noticing has less commercials it must be because of the cost.
    RC7 wrote: »

Judge them when the box office takings are logged.

Yeah I don't know where it will fall. @RC7
    Not judging something I know nothing about, and not being negative about it, it does seem strange they haven’t made an apparent effort in the marketing department. The positivist in me says they must know the quality of their product and are not worried. The negativist says they’re overly confident. None of them says it’s because the film isn’t any good, so that’s good news for my dialectical self :-D
  • RC7RC7
    Univex wrote: »
    Not judging something I know nothing about, and not being negative about it, it does seem strange they haven’t made an apparent effort in the marketing department. The positivist in me says they must know the quality of their product and are not worried. The negativist says they’re overly confident. None of them says it’s because the film isn’t any good, so that’s good news for my dialectical self :-D

Take solace in the fact it’s all a load of bollocks anyway. In 20 years it’ll be ‘another Bond movie’ regardless of how good/bad it is.

Same here haha.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2020 Posts: 2,541
    00Agent wrote: »

Not attached to KO here. At least not when I saw it.

I watched it with knives out not SW.
    Burgess wrote: »

It is $6 million for a single 30 second buy, and 'most studios are skipping' is a bit of an overstatement.

Disney I know will have loads of spots for their upcoming films (possibly 20th Century - no longer Fox - also) and more, Universal will have Fast and Furious 9 and, of all things, Minions (had they had US distribution you can be damn sure it'd be Bond instead of that), Paramount has been confirmed to have A Quiet Place 2, SpongeBob, Sonic and possibly Top Gun as well. So that's three out of the five majors. Sony is the only real 'skip' here, along with Lionsgate which has advertised regularly there. And the last time WB had any ads there was 14 years ago...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The trailer was attached to my screening of Bad Boys For Life.
    Bummed (and confused) about no Super Bowl spot but it's fine. Looking forward to a 2nd trailer nevertheless
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 3,166
    I'm not an expert on trailers. If there is a second trailer, will it be a variation of the first one, or will it have a lot of new stuff?

It will either have a voiceover or a lot more dialouge from the movie explaining the frame of the story. Most of the money shots (bike stunt/rotating car/boat explosion) will probably be there, too. And probably we will get a taste of Zimmer.
    RC7 wrote: »

Take solace in the fact it’s all a load of bollocks anyway. In 20 years it’ll be ‘another Bond movie’ regardless of how good/bad it is.

Exactly!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,690
    I had the NTTD trailer attached to my screening of 1917 two weeks ago.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 3,164
    Also, don’t be surprised if a special Super Bowl trailer for MGM/Eon’s 007 movie No Time to Die drops on Sunday, the Daniel Craig movie expected to be this Easter’s blockbuster when it opens on April 10.

Despite MI6-HQ's 'confirmation', Deadline believes there is still a chance... https://deadline.com/2020/01/super-bowl-movie-trailers-fast-furious-9-no-time-to-die-top-gun-maverick-f9-1202844462/

In any case, if the Oscars thing pans out, we now know why they are apparently skipping the SB
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It's not out for another couple of months and yet everyone seems to know about it if you ask me. Bond films always make the front page of the newspapers somehow: I think it'll be fine.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I think for the first time in a long while, Eon might be more concern about critical than commercial success, coz of the kind of reception SP got & SP was still a box office success....coz Bond films, good or bad are usually box-office triumphs....the lack of marketing so far, won't hamper it's Box office performance. If NTTD is critically-acclaimed(which we hope it would), it buys the franchise more time, making it super-relevant again....until it makes another hit....which would be Bond 26.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,918
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think for the first time in a long while, Eon might be more concern about critical than commercial success, coz of the kind of reception SP got & SP was still a box office success....coz Bond films, good or bad are usually box-office triumphs....the lack of marketing so far, won't hamper it's Box office performance. If NTTD is critically-acclaimed(which we hope it would), it buys the franchise more time, making it super-relevant again....until it makes another hit....which would be Bond 26.

I think Bond is always fairly relevant and makes a big noise. It’s funny; we don’t like the big gaps between movies at all but compared to how Star Wars has rather oversaturated its own market it actually looks like a better decision: the audience will be much more hungry for this.
    It’ll be interesting to see how Mission Impossible’s new approach works as that had a massive hit last time out.
    mtm wrote: »

I think Bond is always fairly relevant and makes a big noise. It’s funny; we don’t like the big gaps between movies at all but compared to how Star Wars has rather oversaturated its own market it actually looks like a better decision: the audience will be much more hungry for this.
    It’ll be interesting to see how Mission Impossible’s new approach works as that had a massive hit last time out.

Exactly.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    mtm wrote: »

As much as I'd love to see more frequent Bond films I really don't mind the gaps. I agree that Star Wars has been exploited to death now and greatly over saturated. It doesn't help when the finished products scream of too much studio meddling and re-shoots. Bond just feels so much more special in comparison.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

@DarthDimi how was that? it looks like a lot of movie fun.
    Rise of sky Walker was terrible and did over a billion, it only came out 18 mos after solo which was poorly recieved actually. It still did a billion.

Eon should’ve moved quicker after Spectre. They sat for too long with no flow and waited, the whole project was almolst scrapped after Boyle left we recently learned.

One good thing is Barbara has confirmed the search hasn’t started yet for a replacement which the acknowledgment in of itself is nice to here.

I think Eon are handing off the franchise after this one and will just manage Andy make the big decisions behind the scenes.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Rise of sky Walker was terrible and did over a billion, it only came out 18 mos after solo which was poorly recieved actually. It still did a billion.

Eon should’ve moved quicker after Spectre. They sat for too long with no flow and waited, the whole project was almolst scrapped after Boyle left we recently learned.

One of the main reasons people started to don't care too much about SW is because the released a film every year. Longer hiatus build momentum and make the release special. TRoS, good or bad it doesn't matter, didn't felt like a culmination of a 50+ years saga, because Disney release 5 bloody films in 5 years.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

@DarthDimi how was that? it looks like a lot of movie fun.

It is actually. :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,869

One good thing is Barbara has confirmed the search hasn’t started yet for a replacement which the acknowledgment in of itself is nice to here.

I think Eon are handing off the franchise after this one and will just manage Andy make the big decisions behind the scenes.
    They moved alright to me, and the problems only really arose when Boyle left, which was unavoidable. A shake up like that puts a lot of things into question, and the search for Bond hasn't started because they've still got a film to finish, promote and release. They've got bigger fish to fry at the moment.

I don't think we should start getting impatient with Bond castings when we haven't even seen No Time to Die yet. Put the breaks on for a bit. As for the selling of the franchise, I don't think that's the case, we know Bond has always been a family business and they'll probably wanna keep it that way. We've even heard things about Gregg being more involved in the franchise, possibly taking over from Michael.

Either way, just because this film had its problems, doesn't mean they need to rush for the next one.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    matt_u wrote: »

One of the main reasons people started to don't care too much about SW is because the released a film every year. Longer hiatus build momentum and make the release special. TRoS, good or bad it doesn't matter, didn't felt like a culmination of a 50+ years saga, because Disney release 5 bloody films in 5 years.

Agreed. I think the movie was not written as a proper conclusion of the saga either (regardless of whether it was good or bad, it just felt like an ending for the sequel trilogy and not the ending of a nine movies series) despite Abrams saying it was, but releasing it so shortly after TLJ and Solo definitely didn't help either. I believe TFA, TLJ and TROS should have come out with a three year gap each.