NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• matt_u wrote: »
    Looks like we're in for the first Bond where James is not officially 007 for the entire film.

License to Kill?

And SPECTRE, right at the end.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,343
    shamanimal wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Looks like we're in for the first Bond where James is not officially 007 for the entire film.

License to Kill?

Yeah but in LTK his license is revoked in the first act. SP resigns at the end, like you say.

In NTTD looks like he won't be officially 007 for the entire runtime of the film.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    @ringfire211

And changing of the reels every 22 minutes
    I’m not sure I understand what you meant there.

Approx 2000 feet of 35mm film makes up a film's single reel (with combined optical and/or digital sound) as it was projected in a cinema and that would take 22 mins to run. At the end of the first reel you may have noticed little black dots pop up on the top right of the screen, those were change-over dots. The first dots (four of them, one on each frame) at 12 feet before the end of the reel, would tell the projectionist to start up the second projector (precisely positioned beside the first projector) and the last set of dots would tell the projectionist to switch to that second projector (now running up to speed @ 24 frames per second) and the next reel, reel 2 of the film, would seamlessly take over as reel 1 came to an end, continuing the film for the audience. While reel 2 would run, the projectionist would take off the completed reel 1 from the first projector and lace up the next reel to follow reel 2, which would be reel 3, on that projector. And that well-oiled system would continue, reel by reel, until the film was finished.

The average film runs between 100min to 2 hours and so, on average, every film had five, 2000 feet-length film reels, all kept in separate 35mm film cans. These days most screenings are digital, so no more 35mm, but if u do see a 35mm projected film, you will experience change-over dots and a reel change at approx every 22 mins.
    Oh wow! Thanks. Learn something new every day.

@ringfire211 If you've seen Fight Club, you may remember Brad Pitt's character talking about this as well. There's even a fourth-wall-breaking moment when he points to the upper corner of the screen to show the black dot. I sort of miss those dots!
    Never seen FIGHT CLUB.

Why we talking about fight club?

You don't talk about Fight Club.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

License to Kill?

Yeah but in LTK his license is revoked in the first act. SP resigns at the end, like you say.

In NTTD looks like he won't be officially 007 for the entire runtime of the film.

The titles will say Ian Fleming's nomi's 007 in No Time To Die
  • Sorry Matt, I misunderstood.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 3,164

License to Kill?

If they’re really gonna be that pedantic over it, then just IAN FLEMING’S JAMES BOND. Job done.

But really it doesn’t matter since 007 is a brand on its own anyway regardless of what the story is (anyone remember the Higson Young Bond books?), and if this is about ‘tradition’, the first bu ch of films didn’t have that at all...rather, IAN FLEMING’S [book title]
    antovolk wrote: »

License to Kill?

If they’re really gonna be that pedantic over it, then just IAN FLEMING’S JAMES BOND. Job done.

But really it doesn’t matter since 007 is a brand on its own anyway regardless of what the story is (anyone remember the Higson Young Bond books?), and if this is about ‘tradition’, the first bu ch of films didn’t have that at all...rather, IAN FLEMING’S [book title]

I'm just trying to be correct since times are changing
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

License to Kill?

I don't think they've changed that much.

License to Kill?

I don't think they've changed that much.

Not all they haven't changed enough need to be more progressive we need Blofeld back in drag.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The more things change the more they stay the same. Even a black 007 happened in the past.

gunshot-transparent-james-bond-6.png

DNC8.gif
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,554
    Here's my attempt at a retro trailer:

Brilliant. Bloody brilliant.

On to Nomi...

I am taking it to the bank: she is not 007. Let's get a grip.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,526

License to Kill?

I'd easily bet all my money that it won't.

But I do wonder if it'll say Daniel Craig as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007. Love the discussion regarding how inextricably linked 007 is from James Bond, so interesting.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I really despise the "World has moved on, Commander" line.

Me too. It's bloody awful.

Same with the "I'll put a bullet in your knee" line. Her character comes across as arrogant and obnoxious.

I can just imagine the hysteria if it was Bond threatening to shoot her in the knee....
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Finally saw the trailer on the big screen before a screening of 1917.

It looked amazing, but without context, Nomi's dialogue really did feel out of place. And I didn't mind it so much watching the trailer on my computer.

I'll keep an open mind until I see how it plays out in the context of the overall story.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Red_Snow wrote: »

It looked amazing, but without context, Nomi's dialogue really did feel out of place. And I didn't mind it so much watching the trailer on my computer.

I'll keep an open mind until I see how it plays out in the context of the overall story.

Reading some of Fukunaga's thoughts after the trailer came out, I'm genuinely thinking that that's part of the plan: that those lines are meant to come across as a bit pompous and annoying. That her character is written like that: belittling Bond because he's "that old guy who went rogue a couple of times and let his former boss die". The audience needs to root for Bond, and giving him an annoying co-worker might help.
    And during the course of the film, she mellows down and her and Bond work together, respecting each other more than they initially did.

Character development, it's a thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nomi is acting way different at the end of the film than she is at the start of it (and in the trailer).
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Reading some of Fukunaga's thoughts after the trailer came out, I'm genuinely thinking that that's part of the plan: that those lines are meant to come across as a bit pompous and annoying. That her character is written like that: belittling Bond because he's "that old guy who went rogue a couple of times and let his former boss die". The audience needs to root for Bond, and giving him an annoying co-worker might help.
    And during the course of the film, she mellows down and her and Bond work together, respecting each other more than they initially did.

Character development, it's a thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nomi is acting way different at the end of the film than she is at the start of it (and in the trailer).

I hope you're right...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @ringfire211

Approx 2000 feet of 35mm film makes up a film's single reel (with combined optical and/or digital sound) as it was projected in a cinema and that would take 22 mins to run. At the end of the first reel you may have noticed little black dots pop up on the top right of the screen, those were change-over dots. The first dots (four of them, one on each frame) at 12 feet before the end of the reel, would tell the projectionist to start up the second projector (precisely positioned beside the first projector) and the last set of dots would tell the projectionist to switch to that second projector (now running up to speed @ 24 frames per second) and the next reel, reel 2 of the film, would seamlessly take over as reel 1 came to an end, continuing the film for the audience. While reel 2 would run, the projectionist would take off the completed reel 1 from the first projector and lace up the next reel to follow reel 2, which would be reel 3, on that projector. And that well-oiled system would continue, reel by reel, until the film was finished.

The average film runs between 100min to 2 hours and so, on average, every film had five, 2000 feet-length film reels, all kept in separate 35mm film cans. These days most screenings are digital, so no more 35mm, but if u do see a 35mm projected film, you will experience change-over dots and a reel change at approx every 22 mins.
    Oh wow! Thanks. Learn something new every day.

@ringfire211 If you've seen Fight Club, you may remember Brad Pitt's character talking about this as well. There's even a fourth-wall-breaking moment when he points to the upper corner of the screen to show the black dot. I sort of miss those dots!
    Never seen FIGHT CLUB.

Why we talking about fight club?

You don't talk about Fight Club.

Hehe, good one!
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I think it would be slightly amusing if they never actually reveal her double-0 number in the film.
    Ryan wrote: »
    I think it would be slightly amusing if they never actually reveal her double-0 number in the film.

Well when M asks "Where's 007..?" in the trailer i'll bet good money he's not refering to James Bond....
    Or it's a letter. They could try it.
    ba95c56abfc81c45f649afc89e27e84570691ef0.png

Regarding M's line, I'm thinking it is Bond being referred to. Even without 00 status and being formally in the position. Retired generals are still generals, presidents are presidents. Marines are always marines.

• DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited January 2020 Posts: 524
    Or it's a letter. They could try it.
    ba95c56abfc81c45f649afc89e27e84570691ef0.png

Regarding M's line, I'm thinking it is Bond being referred to. Even without 00 status and being formally in the position. Retired generals are still generals, presidents are presidents. Marines are always marines.

And Commanders are always Commanders, as Nomi still refers to Bond in this way.
    But as far as 007 goes, I really think Bond has lost the number. Just as you can’t call yourself General Manager anymore when you quit that job 5 years ago. There’s a new General Manager at the company where you used to work.

And I bet my money that that’s Nomi. And I bet again that M is indeed referring to her, and not Bond.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 13,032
    Well commanders aren't commanders when they leave the service unless they maintain a reserve status, it's different than those I mentioned. (As the highest positions the generals, admirals, and in the US the former presidents keep those titles and an inherent responsibility. Representing their institutions.)

Different still will be the film when we see it, interesting to consider the possibilities in the meantime.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I wouldn't mind betting that we get the scene where M say where's 007?
    Then we cut to seeing Bond in Jamaica and it is only when they lead up the scene with Nomi that she reveals to Bond that she is a double 0 that that she says she is 007.

Unfortunately the cat is out of the bag on this one
    but if they'd kept it under wraps we would have immediately thought it was Bond he was referring then the reveal would be it was Nomi.

It's like M's death was out there before the film was released and also Oberhauser being Blofeld.

Though possibly EON leaked this so the idea was out there for people to get used to, so by the time the film comes out everyone knows to expect it. Keeping this under wraps and then revealing the first time on the screen might have caused some fans to walk out in disgust.

Possibly revealing this is damage limitation, those that are that horrified by it by now will have decided to boycott it but most of us are going to see as we are Bond fans, the idea of it by the time the film is released having been diluted and it will be expected so when it happens you won't be surprised. Just a thought.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,126
    Why would EON do that they didn't leak Oberhauser Blofeld purposely to see if people liked him being Bond's brother or m dying or anything else just to see if people like it or not they wouldn't leak stuff they thought people didn't like how they know people wouldn't like stuff anyway they are putting out a product not trying to please people on different opinions.
    Maybe Bond can regain the number 007 in Bond 26, with the new actor. Not sure I like the idea of him being out of MI6 by the end of NTTD, if that was to be the case.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 13,032
    Well commanders aren't commanders when they leave the service unless they maintain a reserve status, it's different than those I mentioned. (As the highest positions the generals, admirals, and in the US the former presidents keep those titles and an inherent responsibility. Representing their institutions.)
    Yeah why would he still called commander if he is retired?

I'm just recognizing the difference.

M calls Bond "Commander" either based on familiarity and what he chooses to call him, or because Bond is still in military reserve status as commander and possibly even subject to recall to duty. Either way it plays up the seriousness of the contact.

Maybe by film's end he'll be made Captain.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Maybe Bond can regain the number 007 in Bond 26, with the new actor. Not sure I like the idea of him being out of MI6 by the end of NTTD, if that was to be the case.

He likely will be 007 in Bond 26 because it will probably be an entirely new incarnation of the character, one separate from the self contained “ Craig Universe “

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

He likely will be 007 in Bond 26 because it will probably be an entirely new incarnation of the character, one separate from the self contained “ Craig Universe “

Yes exactly.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    @ringfire211

Actually, most movie theatres had just a single film projector, as the reels had been stitched together beforehand on the same roll.

Besides Fight Club, the dots thing was used extensively in the plot for a Columbo episode, "Make Me a Perfect Murder".
    Yeah why would he still called commander if he is retired?

I'm just recognizing the difference.

M calls Bond "Commander" either based on familiarity and what he chooses to call him, or because Bond is still in military reserve status as commander and possibly even subject to recall to duty. Either way it plays up the seriousness of the contact.

Maybe by film's end he'll be made Captain.

That be cool if he is captain maybe Bond is in reserves and not on active service but not necessarily retired but then the whole thing with the visitors tag kind doesn't help that case.