No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I must admit I don't mind if he's in a dinner suit or not when it comes to gunbarrels.
    If the movie is indeed 3 hours or close to it, I want to see the OPENING gunbarrel presented in it's full glory:

1.Dots
    2. Last dot enlarges to gunbarrel design
    3. The walk turn and fire
    4. The blood oozing (NOT PLOPPING) down as the melody plays traditional number of bars
    5. The image wavers left and right...............
    6. Then sinks down lower right, and retreats to the center of the screen where the iris enlarges on an amazing establishing shot.

• QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    edited January 2020 Posts: 371
    I've had the most unenjoyable experience while watching SP, caused by large Coke in cinema. :D Won't make same mistake twice.

Btw Johnny Marr news are huge, I wish Jonny Greenwood joins one day too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    QQ7 wrote: »
    I've had the most unenjoyable experience while watching SP, caused by large Coke in cinema. :D Won't make same mistake twice.

I recommend an app called RunPee :) It vibrates your phone to tell you when there's a gap in the action coming up which can use to your advantage! :D
    Hate it when you feel the need for a toilet break at the cinema. My solution has been to only start eating/drinking during the last third of the film.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    edited January 2020 Posts: 371
    mtm wrote: »

I recommend an app called RunPee :) It vibrates your phone to tell you when there's a gap in the action coming up which can use to your advantage! :D

Interesting, thanks for the heads up.
    Hate it when you feel the need for a toilet break at the cinema. My solution has been to only start eating/drinking during the last third of the film.

Personally I am okay with eating, but I am careful about drinking before/during the film, after that SP experience.

Speaking of which, I am with those who support 3 hour running time, since we had such a long gap. Give me 3 hours of "CR awesomeness" anytime.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,272

Personally I am okay with eating, but I am careful about drinking before/during the film, after that SP experience.
    Not eating until the last third is just so I don't get a dry throat or something from not drinking beverages until the last third. But this is something I usually just do for films that go beyond the two-hour mark.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I always have something to drink in the theatre which helps with weird theatre-anxiety I get sometimes, but as long as I go to the washroom before the film starts, I can sit through Spectre, Dances with Wolves, Lawrence of Arabia, whatever.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Cary is currently in Paris....

(in the second photo, he is channeling his inner Lazenby)

george-lazenby-james-bond-on-her-majestys-secret-service.jpg?itok=TOdnGUoC
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    His trousers appear to have had an argument with his shoes.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Very pleasant to hear from a 18 year old in the age of Star Wars and superheroes.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    Man, she’s hella chill and down to earth! I keep forgetting she’s 18. For someone her age, she provides a lot of insight into her artistry and has a full awareness of self. Pumped to see what she and her brother come up with for the Bond theme.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Good to hear r.e. collaborating with Zimmer. I am really hoping we get a full theme and soundtrack integration with the score, a la the Barry days.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Bond is so dope!

Love it! She and her brother have apparently listened to the catalog and have written their own Bond songs going way back. I think she's going to deliver the goods.
    Heard some rumblings that the near 3 hour runtime may be accurate......

I think it makes sense as CJF is from a long-form TV background where you get 6 to 8 hours to tell a story.

I also think he's taking inspiration from Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises and Denis Villenueve's Blade Runner 2049. So he wants to make an 'epic, can't miss' movie that works as a culmination of everything that came before. Basically, a series finale crammed into one film.

In fact, I'm getting a very Blade Runner 2049 vibe from the entire film...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,554

I think it makes sense as CJF is from a long-form TV background where you get 6 to 8 hours to tell a story.

I also think he's taking inspiration from Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises and Denis Villenueve's Blade Runner 2049. So he wants to make an 'epic, can't miss' movie.

giphy.gif

TripAces wrote: »

I also think he's taking inspiration from Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises and Denis Villenueve's Blade Runner 2049. So he wants to make an 'epic, can't miss' movie.

I am quite fine with this!!!

Totally agree!

After 5 years waiting, a 3 hour film would be a treat!

I think 3 hours would work if you spend the time focussing on Bond as a character. If it's 3 hours with a ton of plot strands, then it'll just feel muddled. Much like SP, which tried to do too much (Bond's past, last mission from M, Blofeld's back, Blofeld's his brother, he falls in love, everything is connected) it was too ambitious for its own good.

I think the simple premise of Madeleine and Bond's relationship (and her betrayal) is enough the build a film around.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Totally agree!

I think 3 hours would work if you spend the time focussing on Bond as a character. If it's 3 hours with a ton of plot strands, then it'll just feel muddled. Much like SP, which tried to do too much (Bond's past, last mission from M, Blofeld's back, Blofeld's his brother, he falls in love, everything is connected) it was too ambitious for its own good.

I think the simple premise of Madeleine and Bond's relationship (and her betrayal) is enough the build a film around.

+1
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    Walecs wrote: »

Totally agree!

+1

+2.

You hit the nail on the head, Talos. I was apprehensive with a 3 hour runtime (if the rumors prove to be true). Just for the simple fact that SP seemed to have this 2 1/2 hour runtime that seemed to be building to so many things in the plot but equalled to...well, nothing. It meandered due to having so many unfocused plot threads. However, if Cary Fukunaga can build the film around the core around Bond and Madeleine, then we may get a grandiose love story/adventure of OHMSS proportions: a Bond film for the ages.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,869
    A three hour runtime would be greatly appreciated. Also as for Billie Eilish, it's worthy to note that nearly 4 million people have liked Billie's instagram confirming she is doing the theme song. This should do a lot for the film!

Great choice. Her talent and her impact. Good job EON and everyone who made it happen.

Her cover of Bad by Michael Jackson gives me slight James Bond vibes.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

This means nothing. Sin Nombre was 96 min, Jane Eyre 115 min and Beasts 133 min. It all depends on the story. The fact Cary has a TV show background doesn't mean he needs 3 hours to tell every story.
    So he wants to make an 'epic, can't miss' movie that works as a culmination of everything that came before. Basically, a series finale crammed into one film.

Just like Endgame, also. Here I share you're same feelings, even tho I believe a 150+/160 min runtime seems more likely. There's still time for them to cut the film and we know how those things work. Studios always prefer shorter films. 174 minutes means less showings per day and around NTTD there is far less hype than, let's say, global cinematic events like Endgame or RotK etc etc...
    Interesting...................... she has been working with Zimmer for "couple of months". Long enough for both of them to create something awesome.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    It's a surprise to me that she's as into James Bond and Bond music as she appears to be, which makes me even more excited for this collaboration.
    Billie's music is great and I think it's gonna bring something fresh to the sound of Bond. My only concern is her music feels in the same vein as the likes of Adele and Sam Smith (melancholic, sultry, etc) when maybe the franchise could've used another You Know My Name. But either way, everything about this production feels like a breath of fresh air to me.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    It's a surprise to me that she's as into James Bond and Bond music as she appears to be, which makes me even more excited for this collaboration.
    Billie's music is great and I think it's gonna bring something fresh to the sound of Bond. My only concern is her music feels in the same vein as the likes of Adele and Sam Smith (melancholic, sultry, etc) when maybe the franchise could've used another You Know My Name. But either way, everything about this production feels like a breath of fresh air to me.

Can't say anything about Smith but she is in no way in the same vein as Adele.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 11,425
    Mallory wrote: »
    Good to hear r.e. collaborating with Zimmer. I am really hoping we get a full theme and soundtrack integration with the score, a la the Barry days.

I don't think Zimmer is messing around on this one. He knows what made the Barry and other classic Bond scores so special. He doesn't want to mess it up. He wants to try and live up to the legacy. Great that Eillish has been collaborating with Zimmer. I hope they have a melody and it's not just a catchy beat.

I am not that familiar with her stuff but the "Bad" cover above makes me confident we will get a properly sung song. She is definitely quirky and easily has a good enough voice. Will all depend on the song and the production.

The fact she worked on the song with Zimmer shows that it's all about the composer and his attitude. Newman could have done it with Adele and Sam Smith but chose not to. Zimmer is the right man for this gig, I have no doubts about that.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Billie Eilish's casting in a certain way reminds me of Daniel Craig's Casting as James Bond....'Odd' at the time. But immediately Bond stylishly dispatches Dryden, Kills Fisher in a stylized Gunbarrel sequence then chases & kills Mollaka in harrowing fashion, Craig immediately won the Crowd....he was immediately accepted as Bond & Pierce Brosnan almost immediately forgotten as Bond. Like Craig, Eilish is not guaranteed success....but one thing I have learnt is to reserve judgement for the finished product.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 11,425
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Billie Eilish's casting in a certain way reminds me of Daniel Craig's Casting as James Bond....'Odd' at the time. But immediately Bond stylishly dispatches Dryden, Kills Fisher in a stylized Gunbarrel sequence then chases & kills Mollaka in harrowing fashion, Craig immediately won the Crowd....he was immediately accepted as Bond & Pierce Brosnan almost immediately forgotten as Bond. Like Craig, Eilish is not guaranteed success....but one thing I have learnt is to reserve judgement for the finished product.

Wise words. Whereas Adele was a natural fit, this is a bit more risky. But we need to wait and see. The fact she and her brother seem to love Bond and have apparently willingly and enthusiastically collaborated with Zimmer, is all really positive and encouraging. It suggests that they've all approached this with a really positive, respectful and collaborative attitude. If it doesn't work out I don't think it will be for lack of trying.

A refreshing lack of ego about Eillish and Zimmer in my opinion. They both come across as artists who just love music and what they do and love to share that energy and enthusiasm with others. Bodes well. The fact Marr is involved is also great.

I am really keen to see what Zimmer does with the Jamaica and Havana scenes. I'm hoping for some dancehall and salsa influences. Of course it's obvious but sometimes that's what a Bond score calls for. Would love it if Zimmer was also collaborating with a Jamaican band/artist like Monty Norman did with Byron Lee and the Dragonnaires on Dr No.

Slightly premature but could this be the best soundtrack since TLD?
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Eilish and Zimmer working together and the rumblings of a three hour Bond. I'm all in.
    Not so sure about the 3 hr rumours. That's a big ask of any film.