No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    It's a surprise to me that she's as into James Bond and Bond music as she appears to be, which makes me even more excited for this collaboration.
    Billie's music is great and I think it's gonna bring something fresh to the sound of Bond. My only concern is her music feels in the same vein as the likes of Adele and Sam Smith (melancholic, sultry, etc) when maybe the franchise could've used another You Know My Name. But either way, everything about this production feels like a breath of fresh air to me.

Can't say anything about Smith but she is in no way in the same vein as Adele.

I just mean their songs were both slow, sultry and more melancholic than Cornell or Alicia + Jack. I was speaking in context of the films' songs.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Getafix wrote: »
    Not so sure about the 3 hr rumours. That's a big ask of any film.

Considering we've been at roughly 2 and a half hour runtimes with three out of four Craig films so far, I don't see an extra half hour of material being out of the question. As long as it serves the story and it's paced appropriately then I don't see it being a problem. It certainly didn't hurt The Avengers.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Billie Eilish's casting in a certain way reminds me of Daniel Craig's Casting as James Bond....'Odd' at the time. But immediately Bond stylishly dispatches Dryden, Kills Fisher in a stylized Gunbarrel sequence then chases & kills Mollaka in harrowing fashion, Craig immediately won the Crowd....he was immediately accepted as Bond & Pierce Brosnan almost immediately forgotten as Bond. Like Craig, Eilish is not guaranteed success....but one thing I have learnt is to reserve judgement for the finished product.

Wise words. Whereas Adele was a natural fit, this is a bit more risky. But we need to wait and see. The fact she and her brother seem to love Bond and have apparently willingly and enthusiastically collaborated with Zimmer, is all really positive and encouraging. It suggests that they've all approached this with a really positive, respectful and collaborative attitude. If it doesn't work out I don't think it will be for lack of trying.

A refreshing lack of ego about Eillish and Zimmer in my opinion. They both come across as artists who just love music and what they do and love to share that energy and enthusiasm with others. Bodes well. The fact Marr is involved is also great.

I am really keen to see what Zimmer does with the Jamaica and Havana scenes. I'm hoping for some dancehall and salsa influences. Of course it's obvious but sometimes that's what a Bond score calls for. Would love it if Zimmer was also collaborating with a Jamaican band/artist like Monty Norman did with Byron Lee and the Dragonnaires on Dr No.

Slightly premature but could this be the best soundtrack since TLD?

I’ve no doubt that Hans Zimmer can go ethnic-influenced for the scenes in Cuba and Jamaica. I was just listening to the track “Seville” from Mission: Impossible 2 and it’s fantastic: percussive with Latin flamenco elements. I think the major misconception about Zimmer is that his sound is purely bold and electronic droning without much melody/rhythm. But he’s so much more varied in his sound than people give him credit for. The fact that he’s collaborating with Billie Eilish gives me hope that, for the first time in a long time we’ll get a Bond song properly weaved throughout the score.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Billie Eilish's casting in a certain way reminds me of Daniel Craig's Casting as James Bond....'Odd' at the time. But immediately Bond stylishly dispatches Dryden, Kills Fisher in a stylized Gunbarrel sequence then chases & kills Mollaka in harrowing fashion, Craig immediately won the Crowd....he was immediately accepted as Bond & Pierce Brosnan almost immediately forgotten as Bond. Like Craig, Eilish is not guaranteed success....but one thing I have learnt is to reserve judgement for the finished product.

Wise words. Whereas Adele was a natural fit, this is a bit more risky. But we need to wait and see. The fact she and her brother seem to love Bond and have apparently willingly and enthusiastically collaborated with Zimmer, is all really positive and encouraging. It suggests that they've all approached this with a really positive, respectful and collaborative attitude. If it doesn't work out I don't think it will be for lack of trying.

A refreshing lack of ego about Eillish and Zimmer in my opinion. They both come across as artists who just love music and what they do and love to share that energy and enthusiasm with others. Bodes well. The fact Marr is involved is also great.

I am really keen to see what Zimmer does with the Jamaica and Havana scenes. I'm hoping for some dancehall and salsa influences. Of course it's obvious but sometimes that's what a Bond score calls for. Would love it if Zimmer was also collaborating with a Jamaican band/artist like Monty Norman did with Byron Lee and the Dragonnaires on Dr No.

Slightly premature but could this be the best soundtrack since TLD?

Exactly....I also think NTTD's score could be the best Bond score since TLD. coz they seem to be so much collaboration going on. And that gives the score a unified Voice. Something Newman could easily have done to give his score a stellar sound....but for some reason chose not to....even when he was chosen much earlier than Zimmer.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 11,425
    Ryan wrote: »

Considering we've been at roughly 2 and a half hour runtimes with three out of four Craig films so far, I don't see an extra half hour of material being out of the question. As long as it serves the story and it's paced appropriately then I don't see it being a problem. It certainly didn't hurt The Avengers.

All of Craig's films apart from QOS have been too long. For me they all drag to a greater or lesser extent and losing 20 minutes would have improved CR, SF and SP.

I can't see adding even more running time is going to work.

It's a shame but for me the Craig films don't have massive rewatch value. They're pretty well made and all of them are several notches above the Brosnan era in terms of acting and production values, but they're also very often over long and (dare I say it) a touch boring. I think most would agree about that in terms of SP but I find parts of CR and a lot of SF to be just drawn out padding.

NTTD may be an exception. CJF is a brilliant storyteller and maybe the plot is just going to be so strong that it warrants a long run time. But I don't welcome it for the sake of it.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,043
    As long as it maintains my interest then 3 hours if it is indeed the case won't it be a problems for me.

The only DC film that outstays its welcome for me is SPECTRE and that is after the PTS.

I've never got that CR or SF are overlong at all.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    delfloria wrote: »
    Interesting...................... she has been working with Zimmer for "couple of months". Long enough for both of them to create something awesome.
    This is Very encouraging.

• RyanRyan Canada
    Ryan wrote: »

All of Craig's films apart from QOS have been too long. For me they all drag to a greater or lesser extent and losing 20 minutes would have improved CR, SF and SP.

I can't see adding even more running time is going to work.

It's a shame but for me the Craig films don't have massive rewatch value. They're pretty well made and all of them are several notches above the Brosnan era in terms of acting and production values, but they're also very often over long and (dare I say it) a touch boring. I think most would agree about that in terms of SP but I find parts of CR and a lot of SF to be just drawn out padding.

NTTD may be an exception. CJF is a brilliant storyteller and maybe the plot is just going to be so strong that it warrants a long run time. But I don't welcome it for the sake of it.

I don't disagree. Even as a fan of SPECTRE I still find its pacing to be very inconsistent. I don't feel that way about CR or Skyfall though but to each their own of course. QOS is my least favourite of the Craig films but I also agree that it has the most rewatch value just for the shorter run time. That said, I'll happily make time for CR and Skyfall just the same.

I just wouldn't rule out an even longer run time this time around, rumours or not. I mean, if there was ever a time we'd be getting a three hour Bond film, it's now at the end of the Craig era. I have good faith in Fukunaga that the film will be well paced and serve the story.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    It's a surprise to me that she's as into James Bond and Bond music as she appears to be, which makes me even more excited for this collaboration.
    Billie's music is great and I think it's gonna bring something fresh to the sound of Bond. My only concern is her music feels in the same vein as the likes of Adele and Sam Smith (melancholic, sultry, etc) when maybe the franchise could've used another You Know My Name. But either way, everything about this production feels like a breath of fresh air to me.

Can't say anything about Smith but she is in no way in the same vein as Adele.

I just mean their songs were both slow, sultry and more melancholic than Cornell or Alicia + Jack. I was speaking in context of the films' songs.

Ah, then you are right. It would be interesting to see what kind of song Billie is going to sing.
    What can I say? I saw a foto of Craig in an emotional scene, and my gut feeling was, this is going to be great. That was even before he was announced officially. I watched a number of clips of Eilish, and my gut feeling begs for the title squence to appear in the middle of the film, so I can take a legitimate toilet break.

• I'm definitely curious to see how all the pieces fit together - it could definitely end up being overstuffed.
    Everything about NTTD seems very bold and very confident. I have a good feeling about Billie Eilish and Hans Zimmer.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    She's certainly very in at the moment. The Australian Open has only been on a day, and already her song 'Bad Guy' has featured in at least five different ads aired repeatedly during the commercial breaks.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Everything about NTTD seems very bold and very confident. I have a good feeling about Billie Eilish and Hans Zimmer.

+1

I feel that EON turns in its best work when there’s something to prove. It would have been so easy for Bond 25 to just ignore the events in Spectre but the producer’s (Craig and Fukunaga too) must feel confident in continuing down the path that Spectre paved.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Based on some interviews he did, it seems Fukunaga is the one to thank (or blame) for keep telling the story introduced in SP. Perhaps he thought there was a lot of unexpressed potential in that film. Plus, as he said, continuity is fun. :)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    For some reason, am guessing they kept on with the SP route....so if NTTD turns out be the real follow-up SF deserved, then in retrospect...SP might come to be appreciated, with it's story done properly in NTTD.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    007everythingornothing
    Congrats to #PhoebeWallerBridge for winning an @sagawards last night for #BestActress in a #comedy series for @bbcfleabag. 🏆 Fleabag costar & Bond alumni #AndrewScott was on hand to share in the celebrations. The British talent seems to be going from strength to strength, and has written the #screenplay for the upcoming #NoTimeToDie - and with all this award winning, we can’t wait! 😆 .

I'm looking forward to the scene in the cell where Blofeld tells Bond the foster brother thing was just a joke to play with his head in SPECTRE.
    I'm looking forward to the scene in the cell where Blofeld tells Bond the foster brother thing was just a joke to play with his head in SPECTRE.

Well, prepare to be disappointed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Bond was actually there at the time though: he knows it’s true!
    :)
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

...before revealing they're REALLY biological brothers.

Written by Rian Johnson
    Minion wrote: »

Written by Rian Johnson

Written by JJ Abrams and Chris Terrio seems more appropriate...
    Yeah, they are not gonna pull a Rise of the Skywalker.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, lucky London. Wish I could be there then.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Aha, so world premiere in March, not April.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    In less than two weeks it can be said the premiere is next month.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    matt_u wrote: »

Written by Rian Johnson

Yup, definitely.

I'm also looking forward to that scene so will finally get settled on whether Blofeld said "it'll be the death of you" or "it'll be the death of him" (hint: it's the former)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Walecs wrote: »

Written by Rian Johnson

Yup, definitely.

I'm also looking forward to that scene so will finally get settled on whether Blofeld said "it'll be the death of you" or "it'll be the death of him" (hint: it's the former)

I saw the trailer on the big screen, prior to the excellent 1917, with 5 other people, all heard “him” 🤔
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,526
    talos7 wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »

Written by Rian Johnson

Yup, definitely.

I saw the trailer on the big screen, prior to the excellent 1917, with 5 other people, all heard “him” 🤔

Haha I've actually flipped on this; watched the trailer countless times and was on your side, but my girlfriend (raised in Southampton and in Germany, where her family currently resides) watched it with me and told me it was "you", we watched it together and talked a lot about it (lol nerds) and I've come to the "you" side. Sorry Talos!
    EDIT: She also knew basically right away why Americans might interpret it as "him".