"I don t drink...wine."- The Dracula Thread

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    [Whoa, the third, and final episode of Dracula is being universally, brutally trashed! /spoiler]
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    So digging in especially after @talos7's report, I see BBC's Dracula coming available in the US early hours Saturday 4 January on NetFlix.

All three 90 minute episodes available at once they say.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That was a little better than I expected.
    That wasn't just me, was it? I did spot some references to the Hammer films. Zoe Van Helsing's ward being AD 072. Also, her jumping off the table to pull the curtains down, just like Van Helsing in Horror Of Dracula.

• edited January 2020 Posts: 14,832
    Watching it at the moment. Two minutes in or so and they are mixing Harker and Renfield. I'm already irritated. And: "Did you have intercourse with the Count?" Laughable. I see they are going the way of last year's ABC Murders, changing things for the sake of it, even when the source material is fine as it is.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I really want the two of them to write a Bond film. I just think it'd be a perfect fit. Sherlock and even Doctor Who cribbed a lot from Bond at times. Gattiss is a fan. Moffat has wit and imagination that Purvis and Wade would kill for. Just give them the job already EON.

Yes indeed: it’d be amazing if they wrote one: I think it’s noticeable that the end of M:I Rogue Nation stole from the end of Sherlock S1 with Benji/John wearing a bomb vest and repeating the villain’s words to the hero.
    I think I’d actually love Moffat to do an Indiana Jones slightly more as I think his style would suit it and he could come up with a great adventure plot, but they clearly love a bit of Bond too. There’s even a wink towards Bond existing in Sherlock when Mycroft mentions an MI6 colleague of his preferring a ‘blunt instrument’ :)

I think Claes Bang would make a rather great Bond villain too: I hope he’s very famous very soon! :)

Ludovico wrote: »
    Watching it at the moment. Two minutes in or so and they are mixing Harker and Renfield. I'm already irritated. And: "Did you have intercourse with the Count?" Laughable. I see they are going the way of last year's ABC Murders, changing things for the sake of it, even when the source material is fine as it is.

Well not really: they’ve been very clear that an issue with the source material is that Dracula is barely in it so they decided to make him the star.
    I think complaining about this not being faithful is a bit silly to be honest: it was never going to be the book put directly on the screen.

I loved ABC Murders incidentally: I thought it was gripping in a way Christie rarely is and Malkovich was superb.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »
    [Whoa, the third, and final episode of Dracula is being universally, brutally trashed! /spoiler]

Did you watch it though? It was perhaps not my favourite of the three and it maybe ran a little too long, but it’s still exciting and creative stuff.
    mtm wrote: »

Did you watch it though? It was perhaps not my favourite of the three and it maybe ran a little too long, but it’s still exciting and creative stuff.

I have not, this was just an observation based on many reactions published on several outlets.
    I’m glad you enjoyed it, but your opinions tend to run contrary to most.
    When it’s available, I’ll watch all three.

I really want the two of them to write a Bond film. I just think it'd be a perfect fit. Sherlock and even Doctor Who cribbed a lot from Bond at times. Gattiss is a fan. Moffat has wit and imagination that Purvis and Wade would kill for. Just give them the job already EON.

Yes indeed: it’d be amazing if they wrote one: I think it’s noticeable that the end of M:I Rogue Nation stole from the end of Sherlock S1 with Benji/John wearing a bomb vest and repeating the villain’s words to the hero.
    I think I’d actually love Moffat to do an Indiana Jones slightly more as I think his style would suit it and he could come up with a great adventure plot, but they clearly love a bit of Bond too. There’s even a wink towards Bond existing in Sherlock when Mycroft mentions an MI6 colleague of his preferring a ‘blunt instrument’ :)

I think Claes Bang would make a rather great Bond villain too: I hope he’s very famous very soon! :)

Well not really: they’ve been very clear that an issue with the source material is that Dracula is barely in it so they decided to make him the star.
    I think complaining about this not being faithful is a bit silly to be honest: it was never going to be the book put directly on the screen.

I loved ABC Murders incidentally: I thought it was gripping in a way Christie rarely is and Malkovich was superb.

I've only watched a few minutes of it, but so far it's not Dracula's presence or amount of screen time I have issue with. It's the unnecessary changes to the narrative, tone and characters. It doesn't improve on the story or make it more suitable for the medium. So far it's not as bad as the 2006 one. And at least Harker is a more believable Victorian solicitor than say Keanu Reeves.

And since we've had faithful adaptations of Moby Dick, Lord of the Rings, The Maltese Falcon and others, I don't think it's silly or too much to ask for one faithful adaptation of Dracula. I haven't heard anybody complaining about the old Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes for being too close to the source material.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I have not, this was just an observation based on many reactions published on several outlets.
    I’m glad you enjoyed it, but your opinions tend to run contrary to most.
    That’s unnecessary.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,961

I've only watched a few minutes of it, but so far it's not Dracula's presence or amount of screen time I have issue with. It's the unnecessary changes to the narrative, tone and characters. It doesn't improve on the story or make it more suitable for the medium.
    So you don’t mind it being changed in one way but you do in another? How are they supposed to know your exact preferences? Do you want it faithful or not?
    And since we've had faithful adaptations of Moby Dick, Lord of the Rings, The Maltese Falcon and others, I don't think it's silly or too much to ask for one faithful adaptation of Dracula. I haven't heard anybody complaining about the old Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes for being too close to the source material.
    Those are all different novels: some are easier to film than others.

To be honest I don’t really get why people want to see a book they read on the screen. If you read the book and enjoyed it that’s great: why do you want to see it again?

And it is rather silly to expect a Moffat/Gatiss adaptation to be faithful: the point is that they make these and add to them. There’d be no point in getting some of the most imaginative TV writers to just slavishly copy a book out.
    Sometimes changes are necessary, when a story is adapted to another medium. I haven't seen enough of their Dracula to say if Dracula's presence is done adequately or not. In any case, that's not what's been irritating me so far. I never asked them (personally or otherwise) to make the Dracula I wanted. I just said I'd very much like a faithful adaptation of the novel. Personal tastes and all. Of THIS particular novel. Or close enough. Like say Moby Dick, A Clockwork Orange, The Maltese Falcon, to name a few. I'm probably more disappointed in this instance as Gatiss made an excellent and very good adaptation of M. R. James The Tractare Middoth. I agree that not all source material can be adapted faithfully. I'm very happy with the changes made to The Shining, to The Godfather (even though it's very faithful to the novel in many ways), because the adaptations improve on a rather mediocre source material. And I have no idea how one could adapt Lovecraft on the big screen (or the small for that matter) and remaining faithful. There's a difference with Dracula and the works I mentioned though : it is an horror classic adapted numerous times in every way, shape and form and unlike say Lovecraft it is an easy material to adapt. Easier than LOTR or Moby Dick.
    And I'm afraid I don't find this adaptation that original or imaginative. So far they have borrowed a lot from other adaptations: explicit mentions of venereal diseases, explicit allusion to sex in a Victorian era setting, Lugosi's accent and famous line, Mina's portrait, and that's what I got with only a few minutes in.

That said, so far they have a far better casting than pretty much most of the adaptations I have seen, their Dracula is properly menacing, they even manage to get a few lines from the book here and there.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If it’s already been adapted numerous times in every way, why do you need another faithful one? I’d so much rather see what today’s talented writers can do with an iconic story than just have the same old one again from a long dead author. I can’t understand this point of view. Just saying something is bad without actually watching it is not what I regard as constructive criticism. You say it’s unimaginative but it begins with Harker being interviewed by Van Helsing -who is now a nun- as his sickness grows: I don’t see what’s unimaginative about that. You should really watch it before you call it that. Yes, it pays tribute and references other previous adaptations: what’s wrong with that?
    If it’s already been adapted numerous times in every way, why do you need another faithful one? I’d so much rather see what today’s talented writers can do with an iconic story than just have the same old one again. I can’t understand this point of view.

Because it's never been adapted faithfully! There's no "other" faithful one, there's not a single faithful adaptation of Dracula. Because like many horror classics, it has been "polluted" by misinterpretation, false information, etc. What would be actually original is an adaptation that is actually close to the source material.
    And don't get me wrong: I enjoy many of these adaptations. Nosferatu is a masterpiece. Many of the Hammer ones are great atmospheric gory fun. Even the old BBC adaptation has its moments, sometimes accidentally. I'm looking for something that has NOT been done before, not another free style on the same theme.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I really liked the first two seasons of Sherlock but it quickly nosedived after that. So I didn't have much hope for Dracula. That said, I really enjoyed the first two episodes. Funny and bloody, and I liked the Agatha character. I haven't seen the third yet, but I'm keeping expectations in check considering there's a time jump involved. Hoping it's not as convoluted as everyone is describing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’ve checked the listings magazine and it pretty clearly billed as Moffat and Gatiss’ ‘spin’ on the story; no one should have been under any illusions that it was going to be the book just transplanted to the screen.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 14,832
    I’ve checked the listings magazine and it pretty clearly billed as Moffat and Gatiss’ ‘spin’ on the story; no one should have been under any illusions that it was going to be the book just transplanted to the screen.

I'm glad they were at least honest, unlike Coppola, but that's not what I said. I said that's what I'd love to see and I said why. I also said that if someone could write a faithful adaptation, it would be Gatiss, based on his very good work on MR James. That's it, that's all. Whether he was willing to is a different topic entirely and I haven't been following the production of this one. You are stating I made assumptions that I never made.

I also never said I wanted "another" faithful adaptation as there's not one to begin with. Not on screen anyway, for other mediums it's another debate entirely.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I'm glad they were at least honest, unlike Coppola, but that's not what I said. I said that's what I'd love to see and I said why. I also said that if someone could write a faithful adaptation, it would be Gatiss, based on his very good work on MR James. That's it, that's all. Whether he was willing to is a different topic entirely and I haven't been following the production of this one. You are stating I made assumptions that I never made.

Then you shouldn’t be criticising this version based on your false assumptions about what it is. They aren’t changing things ‘for the sake it’ and the book wouldn’t be fine ‘as it is’. They believed they were retelling the story in a manner that worked for their audience and which adds something.
    I also never said I wanted "another" faithful adaptation as there's not one to begin with. Not on screen anyway, for other mediums it's another debate entirely.

So you didn’t mean it had been adapted in every way then.
    Mostly it’s the stage play getting adapted anyway: an audience expect to actually see Dracula in ‘Dracula’, so giving them what they want doesn’t seem an issue to me.
    I made no assumptions, false or other about what the Gatiss Drac would be. How much do I need to repeat it? Obviously I think it has yet to be adapted faithfully, not sure what you're getting at. And I can criticise it, the way I want it, if I consider it flawed. It might be what the public want, I don't care, arguments at popularity are irrelevant.

So far they've been heavily borrowing from previous adaptations rather than making anything orginal. Except for the beefed up role of Sister Agatha, turned cop for the Vatican or something. Is she supposed to replace Van Helsing?
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 12,837
    Finished it. Loved it. Including the twist, which really caught me off guard. To be fair, I haven't read the book, but the third episode seems like such a big departure that I can see why @Ludovico was annoyed. Probably should have put "inspired by" instead of "based on" in the credits.

But still, it was a lot of fun imo. Gory and witty with a cool villain/hero dynamic played by two brilliant leads (I'd love to see either of them in a Bond film). Not sure if I'd put it on par with Moffat's best Doctor Who or the first two series of Sherlock, but it was much better than Moffat's worst Doctor Who or the dire last couple of series of Sherlock (and even they had one standout episode each out of the three to be fair).

And, to be fair to them about the departures from the source material, some great Bond films have nothing to do with the Fleming novels they were based on. I think it was still brilliant on its own merits.

@talos7 I googled it and there are positive reviews as well. Most of the criticism seems to come from the sudden change in setting, but I enjoyed that twist personally. You should give it a watch and make up your own mind if you're interested in it.

I'm looking forward to whatever they do next, but to be fair, I probably would be even if I hated this. Even when Moffat fails, he's always shooting for the stars. It's never boring. I just love how ambitious and quick witted all his work is. The man's a genius imo.
    Finished it. Loved it. Including the twist, which really caught me off guard. To be fair, I haven't read the book, but the third episode seems like such a big departure that I can see why @Ludovico was annoyed. Probably should have put "inspired by" instead of "based on" in the credits.

But still, it was a lot of fun imo. Gory and witty with a cool villain/hero dynamic played by two brilliant leads (I'd love to see either of them in a Bond film). Not sure if I'd put it on par with Moffat's best Doctor Who or the first two series of Sherlock, but it was much better than Moffat's worst Doctor Who or the dire last couple of series of Sherlock (and even they had one standout episode each out of the three to be fair).

And, to be fair to them about the departures from the source material, some great Bond films have nothing to do with the Fleming novels they were based on. I think it was still brilliant on its own merits.

@talos7 I googled it and there are positive reviews as well. Most of the criticism seems to come from the sudden change in setting, but I enjoyed that twist personally. You should give it a watch and make up your own mind if you're interested in it.

I'm looking forward to whatever they do next, but to be fair, I probably would be even if I hated this. Even when Moffat fails, he's always shooting for the stars. It's never boring. I just love how ambitious and quick witted all his work is. The man's a genius imo.

Interesting, I look forward to seeing it.
    Just binge watched the whole thing. Couldn't stop watching, even though I was pretty tired. The ending was brilliant.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I made no assumptions, false or other about what the Gatiss Drac would be. How much do I need to repeat it?

Then why complain that it isn’t something it never claimed to be?
    So far they've been heavily borrowing from previous adaptations rather than making anything orginal. Except for the beefed up role of Sister Agatha, turned cop for the Vatican or something. Is she supposed to replace Van Helsing?

Please actually watch it before criticising it. Yes they’ve drawn inspiration from previous versions, but do you honestly think they’ve added zero new elements? How likely is that? And why complain that it’s not entirely faithful and that it does nothing new? I’m not sure how you can want both! :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Absolutely: I’d rather watch something new and ambitious (if flawed, as this is in places) than just an unambitious straight novel adaptation. We have the novel already.
    I made no assumptions, false or other about what the Gatiss Drac would be. How much do I need to repeat it?

Then why complain that it isn’t something it never claimed to be?

Please actually watch it before criticising it. Yes they’ve drawn inspiration from previous versions, but do you honestly think they’ve added zero new elements? How likely is that? And why complain that it’s not entirely faithful and that it does nothing new? I’m not sure how you can want both! :D

I can criticise as much as I want/see and about the intrinsic value of the series regardless of the writer's intentions. And I can change my mind on the work when I see more of it. And I can watch how much I want and when I want. When I find time.

I don't know how often I need to repeat that adapting it faithfully would actually be new. And given the scope of the novel, it would actually be ambitious as well.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Okay, so I watched the third episode last night. It wasn't as bad as I was being led to believe but it was still a sizeable drop off in quality from the first two, which is unfortunate.
    Still prodding through the first one. Dracula got more and more annoying as he got younger and lost a lot of his menace. And he killed Mozart? Pu-leese. They are going for dark humour but it ends up sounding corny. Still better than Coppola's approach to make Dracula a whining lovestruck puppy.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,165
    Saw the first episode, and thought it was dreadful. Mark Gatiss wanted to write a terrifying horror story, and Steven Moffat wanted it to be quippy like his work on Doctor Who, and the two together create a frustratingly tone-deaf failure. The first 15-minutes were nice when it was somewhat adhering to the novel, but there came a point I wondered why they even bothered to call it Dracula in the first place.
  • Minion wrote: »
    Saw the first episode, and thought it was dreadful. Mark Gatiss wanted to write a terrifying horror story, and Steven Moffat wanted it to be quippy like his work on Doctor Who, and the two together create a frustratingly tone-deaf failure. The first 15-minutes were nice when it was somewhat adhering to the novel, but there came a point I wondered why they even bothered to call it Dracula in the first place.
    Sadly, I agree with you 100%.

CraterGuns wrote: »
    Minion wrote: »
    Sadly, I agree with you 100%.

+2

Gatiss' Dracula reminds me of his take on Moriarty and the Master. Extroverted, wisecracking, hyper, slightly mad. .. It's like he can only write one sort of villain. And why bother make a period piece then transporting it in modern time if you make the dialogues and attitude of the characters so modern to begin with? That's just clumsy.
  • Minion wrote: »

Disagree on the tone. I think it was probably exactly what they were going for. Even the episodes of Doctor Who they wrote that were heralded as the scary ones are full of gags. They both started as comedy writers, I reckon that's just their style. It's a tricky balance but in general I think they pull it off, because I think the one liners never defuse the sense of danger and tension in their shows. And when things get really bleak they tend to reign it in and get serious.

I can see why people are annoyed about it not being faithful of the novel because it does claim to be based on it in the credits but, to be fair, Dracula is a big pop culture figure. Asking why they bothered to call it Dracula is like asking why Roger Moore's Bond was still called James Bond. It might have Ian Fleming's 007 in the credits but it wasn't, it was a new spin on an old pop culture legend. Same with this. I think with such iconic long lasting characters you have to be prepared for radically different takes on it.