Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Saw it a couple days ago. Had to let it sit for awhile! It's a good Star Wars film to close out this Sequel Trilogy. I think JJ was stuck in a certain spot after the events of TLJ. TRoS was a very fast paced SW film, though. Really wish it took a breath after some scenes. I think it's the best of the three but, im still not sure. In the end the ST is a bit of a let down. It's very mixed that's for sure.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Earlier today I finished the game Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and I had a far better experience with it than I did the new movie.
    It really had that SW magic. It really connected with the fan in me. I highly recommend it to anyone out there who felt The Rise Of Skywalker may have been lacking something.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    So we have prople who enjoy the film, and people who critisise it for not making too much sense as part of this trilogy, and people who don't like it because theirfanboy fantasies aren't fulfilled. Ain't this a beautifully free world :-)?

EMvKmChVUAE8AGm?format=jpg&name=900x900
    I watched Endgame again last night and then, also, Rogue One. IMHO, it's all about emotonal investment in the characters.

There is more drama in this opening scene than in the whole of the dreaful new trilogy. We dont even know these characters yet but the acting, direction, editing, lighting etc creates a sense of threat, fear, empathy, dread that sets the foundation for characters that we care about. And the plot is thin but thats OK, its all about character. Viewers simply dont need complex plot lines
    And with Endgame, you have genuine tragedy with loved characters within classic death scenes and you also have romance (the Captain America twist is great).

The potential for drama based on the existing SW characters was just huge...and what did they do with it? All completely wasted.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    ROGUE ONE feels empty to me. It’s probably my least favorite Star Wars film of the series.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    patb wrote: »
    I watched Endgame again last night and then, also, Rogue One. IMHO, it's all about emotonal investment in the characters.

There is more drama in this opening scene than in the whole of the dreaful new trilogy. We dont even know these characters yet but the acting, direction, editing, lighting etc creates a sense of threat, fear, empathy, dread that sets the foundation for characters that we care about. And the plot is thin but thats OK, its all about character.

Agreed. I found Mendelsohn managed to turn Krennic into one of the most memorable non-Sith villains Star Wars has ever had. Really good.

Rogue One is held back by its inescapable need to get all of its ducks in a row before the plot kicks in. There's a lot of planet hopping in the opening twenty minutes, but then it settles in and becomes something very special. Best SW film since 1983.

There is more drama in this opening scene than in the whole of the dreaful new trilogy. We dont even know these characters yet but the acting, direction, editing, lighting etc creates a sense of threat, fear, empathy, dread that sets the foundation for characters that we care about. And the plot is thin but thats OK, its all about character. Viewers simply dont need complex plot lines
    And with Endgame, you have genuine tragedy with loved characters within classic death scenes and you also have romance (the Captain America twist is great).

The potential for drama based on the existing SW characters was just huge...and what did they do with it? All completely wasted.
    Valid points IMO about RO and EG. Everytime I happen to re-watch RO I'm happy that I enjoy it so much. A lot of exposition is hidden inside the characters, thus time can be spent on other things.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Another point is giving the actors and the dialogue room to breath. Check out the pause after "Lonely I would imagine". This is the type of film making that JJ simpy does not get and great actors appreciate being given this space and trust.
    I wish I could get whatever it is that you guys get out of R1, because it mostly comes off sterile. It’s such a pointless film that adds nothing to the mythology, especially A NEW HOPE.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Another point is giving the actors and the dialogue room to breath. Check out the pause after "Lonely I would imagine". This is the type of film making that JJ simpy does not get and great actors appreciate being given this space and trust.

JJ never gives the actor dialogue room because if the action stops the audience will suddenly begin to think and they realize his movies make no sense and are riddled with plot holes. Instead Abrams makes this bulletspeed movies so that the audience are entertained all the time without having to think too much - which is not a bad thing itself but it's the reason I don't enjoy his movies.
    I feel that way regarding the films he did with Orci/Kurtzman/Lindelof writing, not so much with Star Wars. At least they make more sense to me.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited December 2019 Posts: 1,165
    I wish I could get whatever it is that you guys get out of R1, because it mostly comes off sterile. It’s such a pointless film that adds nothing to the mythology, especially A NEW HOPE.
    If you get a chance (and can track it down) I'd be curious to hear what you think of this:

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-rise-of-the-rebellion-a-rogue-one-edit/

I didn't care for the theatrical cut of Rogue One, but I quite like this fanedit of it. It's still not anywhere near perfect, as there is only so much you can do with the material you have, but I would call it a mark improvement.

The fact that it explains why the Death Star had any sort of glaring weakness that was obviously then exploited in A NEW HOPE is enough to justify its existence, I would say. Hence why I think it works effectively as a double bill.

The fact that it explains why the Death Star had any sort of glaring weakness that was obviously then exploited in A NEW HOPE is enough to justify its existence, I would say. Hence why I think it works effectively as a double bill.

I’m not convinced that reveal adds anything. The weakness wasn’t all that glaring because what needed to be done was a statistical improbability. Gold Leader couldn’t make the shot even when his targeting system told him to. This was something that could ONLY be done with Luke using the Force. So that kinda makes Le Chiffre a dick to not point out “yeah there’s a flaw, but it’s gonna be hard to make a shot so good luck lol”.
  • Why is it that movie studios allow directors like JJ Abrams to piledrive franchises into the ground like Star Wars and Star Trek?

He's like the Michael Bay of sci-fi, who has ruined TMNT.
  • I don't know if anyone has bought this up, but isn't it incredibly stupid for Tarkin to blow up Scarif in RO? I mean every imperial file is on that planet, and by blowing it up means administrative hell for the Empire! Is it just me that this annoys?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Saw TROS yesterday with my son. He was on his second viewing. I have to say I really enjoyed it. Might even be my favourite of this trilogy.
    I can understand why it might get bashed, but I was happy to go along for the ride. I will add I was not a big fan of TLJ so maybe that helped too.
    I thought it was a lot of fun, and gave us a conclusion to the story arc. Let's not forget, Star Wars is not Shakespeare.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone has bought this up, but isn't it incredibly stupid for Tarkin to blow up Scarif in RO? I mean every imperial file is on that planet, and by blowing it up means administrative hell for the Empire! Is it just me that this annoys?
    These films are made for kids, who don't ask these questions. If you start asking these questions, you end up quickly with the calculation that dude on yt made about the amount of metal you need to build the first death star.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited December 2019 Posts: 7,854
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone has bought this up, but isn't it incredibly stupid for Tarkin to blow up Scarif in RO? I mean every imperial file is on that planet, and by blowing it up means administrative hell for the Empire! Is it just me that this annoys?

Tarkin very obviously sees the battle isn't going in the Empire's favor (remember, the crawl to A New Hope says this is the Rebellion's "first victory"), so he decides the only way to keep the plans out of Rebel hands is "If we can't have them, nobody can", and he's obviously too late because the plans were already transmitted.

Plus, nifty way of taking out Krennic before he causes political trouble.

A later comic shows that losing Scarif does cause administrative hell for anyone who doesn't have a higher rank than "general" or a naval equivalent.

Personally I thought it added quite a lot. The resistance is shown as being very, very fractured, with lots of arguing over decisions, and people mutinying against decisions they disagree with, and some other people (Saw Gerrera’s gang) refusing to be part of the resistance at all but instead doing their own thing.

I also enjoyed the rivalry between Krennic and Tarkin about who should claim credit for the success of the Death Star, it was reminiscent of arguments at work where middle managers are always trying to dissociate themselves from failed products and instead associate themselves with the successful ones.

I can see why some people don’t like it however. It is very uneven.

• For me Rogue One is easily the best SW film from Disney as of yet, its 3rd act is perfection.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,028
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,049

Sounds like rubbish, to be honest. But I suppose it sounds better than "we thought the character was rubbish and we had no idea what to do with her".
    At the very least they could have not added like 15 side characters like the hobbit, fat pilot, etc.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited December 2019 Posts: 1,165
    But Disney/Hasbro needs to sell new action figures.
    It’s pretty dumb of Disney not to consider how people would perceive her sidelining given that she was bullied off social media. I’m sure they didn’t actually downsize her role due to those trolls, but it’s hard not to think of that when you see how minimized her role was. They didn’t have to make a character arc for her, but it could have been handled better than “I can’t go on an adventure, I’m busy doing supposedly important stuff off screen”
    Saw The Rise of Skywalker yesterday and I loved it. Now, I'll wait for the Blu-Ray, and I'll marathon the whole saga.
  • I finished both the Mandalorian and Jedi Fallen Order recently. Enjoyed both very much
    The scout trooper punching baby yoda bought out my ugly laugh
    . Really looking for to season 2 of the Mandalorian, and hoping for a spiritual successor to Fallen Order.
    I wouldn't mind if in the next game they introduced new characters and a new story rather than continuing on with Cal Kestis but I don't mind either way (not sure if this is a spoiler or not).
    Certainly more satisfied with both of these than TROS.