Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Contains major spoilers...

Of course much of this is speculation
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Walecs wrote: »
    Then the fans could blame Lucas for not understanding his own character!

Fans already did that with the prequels. That's because humans are inherently arrogant and believe they know better than anyone else.

Yup! That’s the tricky part of reviving old OT characters as you’ll inevitably rankle certain sections of fandom who have their own ideal versions in their head. Meanwhile something like THE MANDALORIAN can get by safely because it features totally new characters that nobody has invested in from their childhood.

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    So the lesson here is come up with your own ideas, and avoid mucking up someone else’s.

Unless you’re George, in which case don’t touch your characters either. Don’t do it, man!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    New ranking

1 STAR WARS Episode IX THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (2019)
    2 STAR WARS Episode V THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1980)
    3 STAR WARS (1977)
    4 STAR WARS Episode VII THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015)
    5 ROGUE ONE (2016)
    6 STAR WARS Episode III REVENGE OF THE SITH (2005)
    7 STAR WARS Episode I THE PHANTOM MENACE (1999)
    8 STAR WARS Episode II ATTACK OF THE CLONES (2002)
    9 STAR WARS Episode VIII THE LAST JEDI (2017)
    10 STAR WARS Episode VI RETURN OF THE JEDI (1983)
    11 SOLO (2018)
    Minion wrote: »
    So the lesson here is come up with your own ideas, and avoid mucking up someone else’s.

Unless you’re George, in which case don’t touch your characters either. Don’t do it, man!

tenor.gif
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I am of the vintage of that remembers seeing the OT in the theatres before Lucas added CGI! LOL! They were a big part of my childhood. I watched all the Prequels in the theatres. They were all right. Nothing as memorable or charming at the OT. I gave up hope that we'd ever see more adventures.

Then came The Force Awakens and I found myself back in love with the series. The movie was a great tour de force. I loved how the old characters were seamlessly folded in with the new crew. I recognized some of the tropes from the OT but I was willing to forgive.

TLJ I really loved. I thought it was a great piece of storytelling. It did something that I hadn't got with Force Awakens, it didn't take safe routes. It challenged things a bit. To me they way they set up Luke made perfect sense. I think the fanboys of the movie wanted Luke to be Obi Wan. But when you think of it Obi Wan did a similar thing he went and off the grid. I enjoyed seeing Luke awaken and restore the hope in the galaxy.

TROS is a great movie. It ties up the threads of the series and provides some great action getting there. Nice to see the crew together for a major portion of the movie. Though I was expecting Rey to break off at many points of the movie. I was satisfied.

I think the 3 recent films had a large and rather tall task. Appease all those who worship at the shrine of SW and at the same time do something different. I enjoy the films for what they are. Did they meet my every need? Nope but they entertained me and provided swerves and curves.

I am curious to see where things go from here and think that maybe the next films will be able to create new characters and storylines. That might be a good place to go.
    Going to see TROS once the frenzy of seeing it calms down abit.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Went to see the film today. And I *bleeping* loved it!
    It's expensive fanfic that gives the casual viewer the finger. And I *bleeping* loved it!
    It's a caffeinated, short-attention-span love letter to Star Wars. And I *bleeping* loved it!
    Will see the movie again soon.

I got the following trailers:
    - Soul
    - Mulan
    - Tenet
    - The King's Man

No NTTD...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I just saw it and I loved it. It's not really the course correction people keep bemoaning it as, it builds off of the previous two movies just fine.
    Minion wrote: »

Seriously, I thought TFA was doing great in the beginning, before any old characters appeared. I would have preferred the film (or trilogy) without any of the old characters, especially since I felt right away thown into that old SW feeling I had as a youth.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Oh the trailers I saw with it were:

Mulan
    Black Widow
    Free Guy

The others I can't remember...must not have left an impression! LOL!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I got
    Free Guy
    Some buddy animated fantasy movie
    Some Fox movie I forgot
    Black Widow
    Mulan.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Trailers I got before Star Wars:
    Onward
    Doctor Dolittle
    Spies in Disguise.
  • Saw this at Peckhamplex for a fiver.....sat next to some irritating child who came from a conversation with his sister. Also, it was too hot in the cinema. At first, I appreciated it as I was coming in from a crisp December breeze. But I was sweating by the third act.

Anyway....no NTTD trailer. But we got a whole interview with Sam Mendes about 1917. Kinda weird....
    This film mostly didn't work for me. It's hard to hate a Star Wars film as they are so handsomely made. Nonetheless, JJ dropped the ball.

The film betrays the build-up to the character of Rey. It completely drops Rian Johnson's more bold iconoclasm and makes something maudlin and safe.

I quite liked the first act of the film - it had an Indiana Jones vibe. The second half with the Rey Palphatine reveal was dreadful and nonsensical. The third act I kinda checked out and just let it wash over me.

Great to see Harrison Ford though. Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver are terrific (the latter in particular).
    New to me:

Denis Lawson (Wedge Antilles) is Ewan McGregor s uncle.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    New to me:

Denis Lawson (Wedge Antilles) is Ewan McGregor s uncle.

That's right I heard this prior to his casting as Obi Wan.
    A mate of mine lost at pool to Ewan when he was in town, Ewan probably used Jedi mind tricks.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 23,562

At 1:23 Superman theme

Hey, so it is! Good catch. I must say I absolutely loved the score for TROS. It had it all. (Including Superman, as you pointed out.)
    The plan is to go see it early on Sunday morning.

Hey, so it is! Good catch. I must say I absolutely loved the score for TROS. It had it all. (Including Superman, as you pointed out.)

It's probably my favorite score of the Sequel trilogy though I need to listen to it a few more times. I read John Williams will retire from Star Wars after TROS which seems fitting, I am unclear if he will still continue to score other films, I hope he does as he is one of the very best.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,028
    Yeah he’s only done with Star Wars, as he’s closer to his 90s he’ll be even more selective of his output, or at some point decide to retire.

It's probably my favorite score of the Sequel trilogy though I need to listen to it a few more times. I read John Williams will retire from Star Wars after TROS which seems fitting, I am unclear if he will still continue to score other films, I hope he does as he is one of the very best.

Isn t he already signed up for the fifth Indiana Jones movie?
    Yeah supposedly he’ll do that, assuming the film actually gets made.
    Yeah supposedly he’ll do that, assuming the film actually gets made.

Lucas, Spielberg, Ford, Williams, ... all senior citizens. I'd love for them to do it, but patience will be a virtue and yes, I see the irony in what we're saying.
  • Saw TROS the other day and have just been sitting on my feelings. This is easily the worst of the sequel trilogy, and angered me beyond belief. As a fan of TLJ I was left frustrated by some of the choices made. I'm not entirely sure if it's JJ or Disney to blame, as this feels more of a sequel to TFA than a conclusion to the Skywalker saga. I did admittedly enjoy the first half of the film quite a bit, as Rey, Finn, & Poe all felt like the new group after Luke, Leia, & Han. However I found the decisions made in the last hour baffling, and not satisfying at all. I would honestly compare Palpatine in this film to Blofeld from SP. I have still seen this film once, and plan on going again in a few weeks and hopefully my feelings change.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 12,292
    Decided to go see TROS since I received some AMC gift cards as a Christmas present. It pleasantly surprised me at several moments, but collectively nothing radical or too special. My favorite bits were
    Luke raising his ship as Yoda once did, and the voices of the past Jedi
    . I’d say it’s my favorite of the new trilogy, but what really bothers me is how disjointed the sequels are as a trilogy. With the originals and prequels, things felt better-mapped-out and logical.
    Palpatine being behind everything is a retcon, and while I don’t mind it since I like Palpatine, it’s one example of how the stories of the new ones feel lazier
    . It did have some amazing visuals and the best action of the new trilogy IMO, and I did think there were a few solid character moments. All in all though, more than anything, I’m relieved the saga is over (or at least I hope it is). Ready for new, non-Skywalker stories to be told in the SW universe. Personally what I’d most like to see is the Old Republic, with vintage Sith vs. Jedi action! My ranking as of now:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. Star Wars / A New Hope
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. The Rise of Skywalker
    8. The Last Jedi
    9. The Force Awakens
    To me Palpatine is about as much as a retcon as Leia suddenly being Luke’s sister in ROTJ. Those retcons work for the story of those individual films but still doesn’t feel like natural revelation after the first two.
    You must approach TROS as a bit of fanfic. It works very well in that sense. And it keeps many questions unanswered about the hows and whens of what we see. I smell books and comics coming up. I know that's not how it should be, but I'm a sucker for these things. Be still my beating heart.
    So we have prople who enjoy the film, and people who critisise it for not making too much sense as part of this trilogy, and people who don't like it because theirfanboy fantasies aren't fulfilled. Ain't this a beautifully free world :-)?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    So we have prople who enjoy the film, and people who critisise it for not making too much sense as part of this trilogy, and people who don't like it because theirfanboy fantasies aren't fulfilled. Ain't this a beautifully free world :-)?

Same thing we had in 2017 after The Last Jedi. Things never change.