Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Going way further back in time has always seemed like the best way to go.

I agree as they won't be restricted creatively by the Original Trilogy, going back 400 years would be great because of the potential world building, the world building in the Prequels is the best aspect of those films.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    When Rey is able to force heal, isn't she using the dark side of the force? Rewatching Revenge of the Sith, the ability to cheat death is the reason which turns Anakin to the dark side in order to save Padme.

I recently rewatched TROS, they really are quite careless with the established law of SW and that's not even including the retcons. I can't take the Sequel trilogy seriously though I will watch them and enjoy aspects.

Star Wars has an established law?
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Going way further back in time has always seemed like the best way to go.

I agree as they won't be restricted creatively by the Original Trilogy, going back 400 years would be great because of the potential world building, the world building in the Prequels is the best aspect of those films.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    When Rey is able to force heal, isn't she using the dark side of the force? Rewatching Revenge of the Sith, the ability to cheat death is the reason which turns Anakin to the dark side in order to save Padme.

I recently rewatched TROS, they really are quite careless with the established law of SW and that's not even including the retcons. I can't take the Sequel trilogy seriously though I will watch them and enjoy aspects.

Star Wars has an established law?

*Lore
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2020 Posts: 23,411
    I am dyslexic my spelling and grammer is not great, I often mix up words.
    I knew what you meant. :)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Minion wrote: »
    I knew what you meant. :)

Cheers, I often use Google to check words unless I am tired ;)

When I was at university the introduction of grammer and spell check on computers was a godsend.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

That's nothing to be ashamed of, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! I never noticed it before, by the way. ;)
    DarthDimi wrote: »

That's nothing to be ashamed of, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! I never noticed it before, by the way. ;)

It does not bother me at all, other than I can never understand my own hand writing when I read it back :)) Cheers though
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Once again, John Williams has received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Score. This is his 52nd Oscar nomination overall.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Aside from the prequels, John Williams got nominations for all Star Wars films he was composer for. All well deserved.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    So the prequels which had amazing themes like Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars and Battle of the Heroes (just to name a few) got no nominations while TLJ and TROS which were just "the Star War greatest hits" compilations with pretty much no new themes in them got a nomination?

I will never take the Oscars seriously.
    "Rey's Theme" is the one shining light to come from the ST score. Everything else - forgettable.
    There were certainly newer themes in the sequel trilogy, let's not exaggerate. There's more to what makes a great score than how many new themes you can conjure up.

A great shame with AOTC and ROTS was how George Lucas used temp tracks in the final edits. Supposedly due to George Lucas constantly re-cutting the films up until their releases. I would love to hear a full recording what Williams originally scored for the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul dual.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Minion wrote: »
    "Rey's Theme" is the one shining light to come from the ST score. Everything else - forgettable.

I like the Resistance theme.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The Force Awakens was chock full of great new themes. Rey's and Kylo's being a standout. I also have a strong affinity for the March Of The Resistance suite.

The Last Jedi left less of an impression on me but there's still some good stuff in there.

I haven't listened to the newest score yet outside of the film. But I can never begrudge Williams a nomination for anything he does. He has very rarely made any missteps.
    I really loved how Williams was able to alter the sinister Kylo Ren theme into something more heroic when Ben Solo emerged.
    This is a screen shot from a Colin Trevorrow draft for Episode IX, Robert Meyer Burnett discusses it on his YouTube channel today, a draft he had in his possession it's an interesting listen. I approve of the title...
    KNjy0NV.png
    Some of the things mentioned that appeared in the draft...
    *Rey, Poe and Fin steal a Star Destroyer.
    *Alot of the draft is centered on a First Order occupied Corrusant.
    *Kylo seeks power on Mustafa, sees an old hologram of The Emperor meant for Vader telling Kylo of The Emperors Master. A Holicron attacks and badly injurs Kylo when it realises he is not Vader.
    *Kylo has Mandalorian mask welded onto his face.
    *Kylo seeks The Emperor's Master and is trained by him, Kylo faces an image of Vader much like Luke did in ESB, fights Vader and loses.
    *Luke Force Ghost is promenant to both Rey and Kylo, in fact Luke is deliberately haunting Kylo.
    *Rey is a nobody though does try to save Kylo, though he is evil and it turns out Kylo murdered Rey's parents.
    *A huge battle takes place in orbit of Corrusant and on the surface, Rey et al activate a beacon (Force Beacon) on Corrusant to get help from the far reaches of the galaxy.
    *The Knights of Ren hunt and actually have characters lol.
    *Chewbacca flies an X - Wing
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    This is a screen shot from a Colin Trevorrow draft for Episode IX, Robert Meyer Burnett discusses it on his YouTube channel today, a draft he had in his possession it's an interesting listen. I approve of the title...
    KNjy0NV.png
    *Kylo seeks power on Mustafa, sees an old hologram of The Emperor meant for Vader telling Kylo of The Emperors Master. A Holicron attacks and badly injurs Kylo when it realises he is not Vader.
    *Kylo seeks The Emperor's Master and is trained by him, Kylo faces an image of Vader much like Luke did in ESB, fights Vader and loses.
    *Luke Force Ghost is promenant to both Rey and Kylo, in fact Luke is deliberately haunting Kylo.
    *Rey is a nobody though does try to save Kylo, though he is evil and it turns out Kylo murdered Rey's parents.
    *A huge battle takes place in orbit of Corrusant and on the surface, Rey et al activate a beacon (Force Beacon) on Corrusant to get help from the far reaches of the galaxy.

I don't know where any of this comes from, but I'm so glad that wasn't the title.
  • This is a screen shot from a Colin Trevorrow draft for Episode IX, Robert Meyer Burnett discusses it on his YouTube channel today, a draft he had in his possession it's an interesting listen. I approve of the title...
    KNjy0NV.png
    That would have been a much better film than what we got! It seems to honour the previous two films (regardless of their quality), and do it's own thing. I do have doubts as I thought Trevorrow left because he didn't want Luke to die, but overall this film couldn't have been much worse to the one we got.
    Robert Meyer Burnett says this particular draft is from 2015, it would make sense that Trevorrow had a pre and post TLJ drafts and wrote this one after learning of what Rian had done with the characters, of course I am just speculating based on what Robert Meyer Burnett said in his video.
    Here is the video that streamed earlier, forgive me if I got any minor detail wrong as I was listening whilst at work...
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Trevorrow's draft is from 12.16.16 (a week before Carrie's death)
    Title is DUEL OF THE FATES
    CRAWL:
    The iron grip of the FIRST ORDER has spread to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. Only a few scattered planets remain unoccupied. Traitorous acts are punishable by death.
    Determined to suffocate a growing unrest, Supreme Leader KYLO REN has silenced all communication between neighboring systems.
    Led by GENERAL LEIA ORGANA, the Resistance has planned a secret mission to prevent their annihilation and forge a path to freedom...
    Opens at the Kuat Shipyards (man on a mission-style)
    BB-8 and Rose Tico (allegedly a key character in script) are infiltrating Kuat Moon where First Order build their ships (workers are oppressed). There is an orbital ring and moon below it. Finn and Poe are there. No R2/3PO. Rey arrives.
    The plan: Send explosive into the power shaft that delivers raw ore into the ring.
    Plan goes wrong. (RBM loves dialogue at this moment.) First Order is able to contain blast. Admiral Vaughn says Resistance tactics are "pitful."
    Rey disguised as a Tusken Raider is revealed to have created her own weapon (a double-blade lightsaber hybrid of her staff and Luke's cracked saber).
    They battle and Poe, Finn, Rose, Rey, and BB-8 STEAL A STAR DESTROYER (Eclipse-class) and escape.
    The Knife 9 a ship containing the Knights of Ren arrives a Kuat. Ataska (?) Ren kills Admiral Vaughn for his failure.
    CUT TO: CORUSCANT. No longer a vibrant city. "The new structures are built atop the art deco structure of the old republic." Occupied by the First Order now (they have a citadel/palace there). Citizens are scavengers now. Hux is now CHANCELLOR HUX and is addressing Bisc Kova (traitor who helped Resist. steal Star Destroyer.) Kova is executed with a light blade guillotine.
    Hux and Commander Selleck have a meeting with several alien war lords (ode to ANH imperial council scene). First Order has allies. They are aware of Rey being the last Jedi. Council wants to know WHERE IS KYLO REN? He is missing. Hux only knows he has gone searching for something of great power.
    CUT TO: MUSTAFAR. Kylo Ren is alone, except for a Darth Maul-esque droid. He has stubble indicating search has been for a long time. Ren is being HAUNTED by Luke's force ghost.
    Luke: "This is where the dark path leads; an empty tomb." Kylo (retort): "Where did your path lead?"
    Luke is trying to convince him to go back to Leia. Kylo: "I'm going to be more powerful than any Jedi...even you."
    In Vader's Temple, Kylo finds a Sith Holocron which reveals a hologram of Palpatine. Recording is for Vader. Palpatine has a contingency for Vader if Luke kills him. Vader is to take Luke to the Remnicore (?) System to see TOR VALUM, Master of Sith/Palpatine's Teacher.
    After scanning Kylo, the Holocron explodes and releases red lighting which burns Kylo, who screams.
    CUT TO: RESISTANCE BASE on KOR-ALAF (?). Leia is introduced as she feels what's happening to Ben. Chewbacca and Lt. Connix tell Leia that the Kuat team is back. They're shocked to see a Star Destroyer (which is landed onto the planet). Funny moment w/ Rey using Mind Trick on First Order officers who were still on the ship.
    Rey confides in Finn that she doesn't feel like she has what it takes to be a Jedi and can't live up to everyone's expectations. Finn asks her if she still senses Kylo. Rey confesses she's been having nightmares. Finn asks if it's Kylo. Rey says she can't explain their connection.
    Finn: "You have to shut him out. He can't change. It's too late." Rey: "It's never to late to change. You taught me that Finn."
    Resistance realizes that the Star Destroyer stills has most of it's weapons (tanks, TIEs, etc). Only missing piece is an army to use it.
    Rey researching the Jedi texts from Anch-To discovers that under Coruscant Jedi Temple there is a communication system (called a FORCE BEACON) from the Old Republic that can send a signal to 50 planets. They plan on using it to get allies. First Order can't stop it, since it predates Imperial tech. Rey: "Hope is all we have left."
    Force Ghost Luke appears as Rey trains. Luke is pushing Rey to get stronger in the Force, while he is pushing Kylo to let Ben out.
    Kylo makes it back to Coruscant. Face is damaged. Mandalorian armor is smelted and is been applied to his face. Confronts Hux and belittles him, saying he doesn't need titles.
    Rey to Luke as they train: "Balance? The dark suffocates the light, light extinguishes the dark. Over and over and over again. How is that balance in the force?"
    Luke: "I know that anger. My father had it too.'
    Rey: "So says my master and his master before him. A thousand masters so eager to tell us how to live."
    Rest of exchange between Rey and Luke is basically Rey trying to back away from being a Jedi (she admits she is NO ONE) and Luke trying to convince her (he says the Force is speaking to her).
    Back to Kylo. He and Hux continue to snipe at each other.
    Kylo says he's leaving again, but not before telling Hux the power he discovered will make destroying planets insignificant. Kylo's last order to Hux: "Find the Resistance, wipe them out, leave the girl to me."
    TEAM A (Rose, Finn, R2, 3PO): Going to Coruscant to light the beacon.
    TEAM B (Rey, Poe, Chewbacca): Going to a planet to find someone to help Rey figure out what she needs to do. (side: Yes, his descrp. is that vague)
    Kylo is going to a Sith Planet/Remnicore. EDIT: Before he leaves Coruscant, he takes Vader's mask and says he understands Vader now. Kylo: "You allowed love to cloud your judgement" and he throws Vader's mask off of a balcony and it shatters.
    Leia stays at the base overseeing the Resistance.
    Before Rey leaves, she and Leia have an exchange were Rey says she believes there's still good in Kylo. Leia is skeptical, but Rey believes in her Jedi Training. Leia: "You're not like my father or my brother. You're new. Whatever happens, remember the force choose you Rey. You're story isn't written by anyone else."
    RMB starts summarizing now:
    First Order tracks down stolen Star Destroyer to Kor-Alaf. Resistance escapes.
    TEAM A successfully infiltrates the Jedi Temple and turn on the beacon. Cut to different places around the galaxy receiving the signal (Bossk cameo). It is then cut off by the First Order. TEAM A then flee into the underbelly of Coruscant.
    TEAM B are being pursued by the Knife 9 (Knights of Ren ship) and eventually reach the planet Bonadan.
    Kylo reaches Remincore and confronts Tor Valum (7000 yrs old, alien of unknown origin, spindly, intense sinewy muscle -- very Lovecraftian). Kylo begins training with Valum. Ode to ESB Cave scene: Kylo fights Vader. Fight is brutal and Kylo loses.
    Bonadan: Poe takes Rey to a Seer who can pull information out of memories. The Seer pulls a star chart out of Rey's mind from her visions w/ Kylo. Knights of Ren show up and fight Rey in a lightsaber battle. She defeats them and TEAM B escapes.
    Both Rey and Kylo eventually get to MORTIS.
    Leia asks Lando if he will organize the smugglers and fight the First Order.
    Rose is captured and tortured by the First Order, but is able to escape.
    Finn/R2/3PO start a citizens uprising on Coruscant around the First Order's Citadel/Palace.
    Leia brings her forces to Coruscant to battle the FO. Massive space battle, ground battle (ROTJ-style you know the works lol). Chewie flies an X-Wing.
    Rey and Kylo battle on Mortis, using force energy that can pull from each other. At some point is revealed Kylo killed Rey's parents at the behest of Snoke. Towards the end, Luke/Obi Wan/Yoda appear as Force Ghosts to save Ben, but are unsuccessful. Ben is "extinguished."
    RMB seems to be at the end, so just for house keeping sake - Resistance won, First Order loses.
    One final deet: Han Solo did appear in the script and does confront Kylo at some point.
    RMB starts at PG 45 where Kylo reaches Remnicore....
    Kylo approaches an "Ancient stone military battlement consumed by time. Skeletons of fallen war beasts litter the terrain. Whatever battle happened here ended centuries ago. He passes empty suits of armor, robes draped over broken shields. Flags flutter in the wind. A Sith helmet on the ground skull visible within. A reminder that while the Jedi live on...the Sith become dust."
    Kylo tracking beacon flashes and he enters a fortress. He hear's a voice. It's TOR VALUM. Kylo asks if he trained Plagueis. Valum says that "name means nothing to me". Kylo threatens him. Valum: "You wish to obtain the powers of those who came before. Take your place among the gods of Mortis."
    Valum: "You call yourself a Sith? The Sith are unrepentant, remorseless. You are haunted by the past, your very existence." Valum instructs Kylo to sever the past or he will suffer the fate of the corpses around the fortress.
    Valum: "The living force is nourishment. The more one consumes the stronger one becomes. To take life is to cheat death."
    Valum shows Kylo how to consume life (described as vampiric). Essentially remove the force from living beings.
    Back to Coruscant w/ Team A (Rose, Finn, R2, 3PO). Finn is shocked how many citizens are living underground.
    Rose: "Rich folks don't spend much time thinking about who and what they're standing on."
    3P0 comments his knowledge is only limited to the Upper Levels. R2 beeps at him and 3P0 responds: "Elitist? Where did you even learn that word?"
    Team A's plan is to turn the beacon on and 3P0 will send a hologram of Leia to the 50 planets (ode to Leia's message in ANH).
    R2/3P0 enter the Jedi Temple. Homeless citizen live in/around it. Described as "a sad reminder of a better time." R2 ribs 3P0 for standing out.
    Back to REMINCORE: Kylo removes the living force from a 3 tusked Gronk Boar. As Valum trains Kylo, they notice a cave. Valum refers to it as a "vergence" in the Force. Kylo enters it and confronts Vader.
    Vader bests Kylo. Disheveled and angry, Kylo asks Valum where Mortis is. Valum calls it the "well of the living Force. The source of the galaxy's birth." Valum says Kylo isn't worthy. Kylo retaliates draining the force from Valum, killing him.
    At Coruscant: Team A lights the beacon. As 3P0 projects the hologram, the story cuts to different locales (RMB mentions Bendu monks among the groups).
    The signal reaches a palace on Trandosha. "Bossk, sitting like a sultan in his den of pleasures, turns angrily towards the hologram projected from his servant droid." Leia says "our voices will not be silenced." Bossk looks at a light coming from a "Red rock spire" and clenches his fist (indicating he dislikes the First Order).
    The signal also reaches a boy and his sister watching the hologram from an R6 unit near their moisture vaporator on Tatooine. Leia: "We can no longer live in the shadow of the First Order. We must step into the light."
    EDIT: RMB says the transmission is cut halfway.
    RMB describes a set piece on Bonadan where Team B (Rey, Poe, Chewie, BB-8) are on a sailing ship (term: Razer Sail) on the water and get attacked by the Knights of Ren from their Knife 9 ship. Eventually Rey battles the Knights of Ren.
    During the fight Rey has visions (of what is not described). She ultimately kills the Knights.
    Rey is conflicted and tells Poe she had no choice. Poe says "It's okay. Jedi do that, right?" Rey knows who the Knights are, but is unsure how she knows them. She tells Poe: "You can't go where I'm going." Poe asks why and Rey replies that the Resistance needs him. RMB notes that Poe has a crush on Rey throughout the script. Rey keeps pushing for Poe to leave, going so far to try to Mind Trick him, but Poe resists. There is a back and forth with Mind Trick and ultimately Rey kisses Poe, causing him to submit to the Mind Trick and leave. 😬😬😬
    Rey takes the Knife 9.
    Poe, Chewie, BB-8 take the Falcon back to the stolen Eclipse Star Destroyer.
    Hux contacts Kylo as he exits Remnicore's orbit, warning him that Resistance tried to overcome the Coruscant blockade. Kylo reveals he was the one who stopped the Force Beacon.
    Hux urges Kylo to use whatever power he has acquired to intimidate the Resistance. Kylo: "Snoke was right about you. Without faith you only serve yourself." He then goes to Mortis.
    Leia goes to a smokey "cabaret club" owned by Lando on the planet Alaforn (ode to Indy visiting Marion in Raiders). Lando tells Leia most of his club's clientele are First Order, but she says needs Lando's help since he knows smugglers. Lando reveals he promised Han he would take care of Leia in case something happened.
    He takes her to a docking bay and says she needs to leave since he can't protect her. Leia keeps urging him to join the fight. Lando: "We won a war once already. What good did that do?" He kisses her on the forehead and declines.
    Rey heads to Mortis. There are no stars around it, just deep black.
    There are no stars around it, just deep black. Her ships power suddenly dies and she crashes.
    Simultaneously Kylo arrives at Mortis.
    Rey then takes on knights and travels to mortis which is a dark planet where stars are not visible and she crashes her ship and walks in a snow area to find ancient statues where she has a vision of her parents leaving her on jakku and Kylo who's on mortis has a vision of his younger self meeting Han and they both meet on the temple of mortis Leia meets Lando in his club on Alafon to get smugglers to help resistance but he says he won't because he thinks they didn't achieved anything by winning the previous battle (episode 6) and apologize to her during battle on coruscant R2 is blown up and everyone is shocked chewie collects the parts we find hux tries to be jedi and when the battle is lost he kills himself with one of his collected light sabers (purple) Rey and Kylo fight in the temple where Rey's backstory is revealed and Kylo kills them he starts draining her and blinds her with his saber she falls on the steps and Kylo walks into temple to find nothing then Luke appears showing him the glimpses of battle he tells him to come back but Kylo won't listen the Luke says to Kylo ' you're not a skywalker' we find Rey tying blindfold and fights Kylo and here she starts glowing and destroys his saber and her force flows through Kylo curing his facial injury during this time Leia contacts him through force but he sacrifices himself by giving his force to her and dies revealing her last name to be solana She reaches the well and enters astral plane and meets Luke Yoda and Obi-Wan where they appreciate her and asks her if she stays she chooses to leave and Obi-Wan says you're a jedi now Rey solana but you're not the last We find chewie repairing R2 and reboots him we then find the footage of skywalker saga through R2's perspective like Luke finding R2, yoda lifting x-wing, battle on naboo etc The movie ends with Rey coming to methesda to give Jedi training to boys and girls where Finn is present.
    KNjy0NV.png

It's fake, just like the infamous JJ cut. There's no way they'd use Mortis in a SW movie.
    From what I hear, I kinda glad Kylo Ren got redeemed. In fact, I actually used to be against it because I didn’t want another redemption story, but Adam Driver is a national treasure that made a believer out of me. I only wish his character didn’t die.
    ...and? Why would that guy be reliable?

Unless someone from LucasFilm confirms it I will never believe that a script with Mortis in it is true. They barely referenced the prequels in the new trilogy and didn't even make Anakin The Chosen One Skywalker show up in ghost form and now I'm supposed to believe they were going to bring up a plot point from an episode of the animated show?
    edited January 2020 Posts: 8,025
    Scuttlebutt is that Colin Trevololololo leaked an early draft himself just for amusement and to seem like his film would have been better (though had he made it I’m sure fans would hate it as much anyway).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Lucasfilm won't ever confirm or deny anything. Perez is not a random no one within the insider landscape. Plus, the leak doesn't come from a random unknown user, but a filmaker and producer.

This is a first draft. Far from being approved by Disney. It's not a final script. This is just a summary of the first story for IX crafted by Trevorrow. Rey and Poe being romantic also fits with the fact that Johnson had to add a proper introduction between the two at the end of TLJ on a direct request by Trevorrow.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,691
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is now officially the 46th film to enter the $1 billion club, the 9th film of 2019 to achieve this.
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is now officially the 46th film to enter the $1 billion club, the 9th film of 2019 to achieve this.
    You sound like a proud father. Personally, I'd put this abomination immediately up for adoption.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,691
    bondsum wrote: »
    You sound like a proud father. Personally, I'd put this abomination immediately up for adoption.

I am not even a Star Wars fan, and I only enjoy the original trilogy, so I do not know at who or what your comment is aimed at.
    @DaltonCraig007 I always appreciate your stat updates, earlier I was wondering how close to the billion club TROS was.