The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A group old war horses vs some punks. It has my interest.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm seeing some good stuff here.
    The red band trailer for THE GRUDGE is a bit of a problem for me, though. It looks like something out of THE CONJURING universe, or SINISTER. But this has zero--nothing--0.0 of the flavours of JU-ON. This feels like calling TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY a James Bond movie; it's that far removed.
    I'm really curious now to see how correct I am.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2019 Posts: 15,690

----

First official image of A Quiet Place 2:

gjqqtsfz68541.jpg

2xo7n7tzee541.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    xni70109km541.jpg
    Very, very nice. Sets up the right xmas mood :-).
    Vfw look more action based then horror

But in my opinion the difference between action and horror is who we are routing for...
    edited December 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Doctor Sleep arriving on digital media on January 21st & on Blu Ray on February 4th. A 3 hours long director's cut version will also be available.

https://collider.com/doctor-sleep-directors-cut-release-date-details/
    I’ll pick that up when it hits. Though I don’t love it on the same level as The Shining (it was never going to happen), I still liked a lot about it - most of all Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson’s performances. Rose was an excellent villain, and McGregor had a lot of good stuff to work with being adult Danny.
    Doctor Sleep arriving on digital media on January 21st & on Blu Ray on February 4th. A 3 hours long director's cut version will also be available.

https://collider.com/doctor-sleep-directors-cut-release-date-details/
    A 3 hour cut seems like a good idea, since I had a feeling of a tv series special.

edited January 2020 Posts: 15,690
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Looking forward to that one.
    2020 is looking like it could get 2 of the best horror sequels of recent years: A Quiet Place 2 and Peninsula, the sequel to 2016's Train to Busan. This looks bigger in scale, scope, budget and tension than A Quiet Place. And the additions of Cillian Murphy and Djimon Hounsou are a big bonus.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2020 Posts: 40,492
    Girlfriend suggested the new Child's Play film and holy hell, was it awful. Didn't have one positive takeaway once the credits rolled, garbage from start to finish. Can't believe this moved beyond preliminary talks and someone actually financed it. On top of finally seeing The Green Inferno last night and really not liking it, I need a good, new horror fix ASAP.
    Fantasy Island receives a PG-13 rating.
    The Invisible Man receives an R rating.

----

616xu6sv7g941.jpg
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Girlfriend suggested the new Child's Play film and holy hell, was it awful. Didn't have one positive takeaway once the credits rolled, garbage from start to finish. Can't believe this moved beyond preliminary talks and someone actually financed it. On top of finally seeing The Green Inferno last night and really not liking it, I need a good, new horror fix ASAP.

Fun horror or real horror?

If you want fun horror I would suggest the Meg as honestly it is one of the best shark movies in a long while that got me to jump a few times... for real horror I heard good things about the witch.
    Anyone going to watch Underwater it looks good to me but I dunno
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Fun horror or real horror?

If you want fun horror I would suggest the Meg as honestly it is one of the best shark movies in a long while that got me to jump a few times... for real horror I heard good things about the witch.

Real horror. I did enjoy The Meg, though.

I am going to see Underwater this evening. Really looking forward to it.

Let me know how it is I read some bad reviews... however I am almost the anti critic... I love movies like Highlander and Licence to kill which were panned at the time

Let me know how it is I read some bad reviews... however I am almost the anti critic... I love movies like Highlander and Licence to kill which were panned at the time

It apparently has a very fast pace (95 minutes of runtime), good set designs & soundtrack, and a good cast (especially Kristen Stewart and Vincent Cassel). Seems to be a rip-off of many sci-fi monster films but made in a solid and enjoyable way.

Hopefully it is as fun as the 2017 film Life, with Jake Gyllenhaal, Ryan Reynolds & Rebecca Ferguson.

It apparently has a very fast pace (95 minutes of runtime), good set designs & soundtrack, and a good cast (especially Kristen Stewart and Vincent Cassel). Seems to be a rip-off of many sci-fi monster films but made in a solid and enjoyable way.

Hopefully it is as fun as the 2017 film Life, with Jake Gyllenhaal, Ryan Reynolds & Rebecca Ferguson.

I know I am looking for some dumb horror fun a mixture of Alien and The meg would be nice to be honest
    I really liked The Meg too @Risico007. Jason Statham in such a film was really cool to see - he isn’t the greatest actor by any means but he is very charismatic as a leading action star. Really fun summer blockbuster where you switch off your brain and enjoy the ride.
    I really liked The Meg too @Risico007. Jason Statham in such a film was really cool to see - he isn’t the greatest actor by any means but he is very charismatic as a leading action star. Really fun summer blockbuster where you switch off your brain and enjoy the ride.

Like I said multiple times 2 of my biggest fears are

1. sharks

and
    2. Really Really BIG sharks

Blame Spielberg I guess but yeah I am not going to lie for a PG 13 movie there were a few times I jumped and more then a few times I had to look away from the screen cause it was a bit too scary for me lol
    @Risico007 Just got back home - you will definitely enjoy Underwater. Very fun way to spend 90 minutes. Kristen Stewart and Vincent Cassel were great, and I really love the set design & sound design. It felt a lot like the 2009 film Pandorum.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 9,779
    @Risico007 Just got back home - you will definitely enjoy Underwater. Very fun way to spend 90 minutes. Kristen Stewart and Vincent Cassel were great, and I really love the set design & sound design. It felt a lot like the 2009 film Pandorum.

based on what I read it feels a lot like alien

based on what I read it feels a lot like alien

Alien, Pandorum, Life, it's really a mix of several films.
    I didn't care for Underwater at all. It has shades of Alien but tried way too hard - no real setup or backstory for the characters so it's impossible to sympathize with them or feel bad when the inevitable death sequences occur, and it felt like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be more of a survival thriller or more of a monster movie, but neither angle really hit the mark for me. I know I can be harsher on films in general, though, particularly horror films, so maybe I'm an outlying opinion here, but then again, it's a January horror release, so you shouldn't really have any expectations. I didn't and it was still a let down to me. Seems pretty split down the middle on RT.
    @Creasy47 @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe @boldfinger

It's finally happening: Don't Breathe Again, the sequel to 2016's Don't Breathe is officially green-lighted. Rodo Sayagues will make his directorial debut ; Fede Alvarez will write the script ; Stephen Lang is returning as The Blind Man.

https://discussingfilm.net/2020/01/16/rodo-sayagues-set-to-direct-dont-breathe-sequel-exclusive/