NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

Couple of observations:

-01:55: Guess the rumor of a dancefloor being gassed was true.
    -01:53: Full face mask and the same jacket as the scene on the icelake, where the mask is partly destroyed. So he must encounter some opposition at the hut. Mr. White?
    -Lynch sounds wooden. Hope her part is smaller than the news has suggested.
  • DrinmanDrinman New York
    edited December 2019 Posts: 40
    I think the film looks gorgeous.

I guess my main concern is that NTTD seems to be continuing the trend of the Bond character morphing into something entirely different than he ever was before. He's sort of become a British Ethan Hunt. He's neither literary Fleming Bond or iconic cinematic Bond nor anything in between for that matter.
  • zb007zb007 UK
    bondsum wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm also a little concerned about Lashana Lynch's Nomi throwing major shade at Bond in her scenes. "The world's moved on, Commander Bond." Groan!! "Stay in your lane. You get in my way, I will put a bullet in your leg." This personal conflict nonsense could get tired pretty damned quick if it's continually played that way throughout the movie.

Yeah i found that a bit cringeworthy is this the tough stuff they kept going on about
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I just hope the best scenes have not been shown. It's a good a thing we don't much about Saffin plan.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I simply loved it. Every frame of it. It worth the wait. Just a quick doubt/observation:
    If I remember correctly, in early SP drafts, Q was taken hostage, and now, there's this new theory about the shot of Safin behind the glass could also be at Q's home. Particularly I think Safin's white coat is only for the Norway scenes, BUT, it's obvious that Q has some importance to the plot, otherwise he wouldn't be featured in the character posters from yesterday. Right?
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247
    I can't remember when a Bond trailer had mixed reviews like this. But I think it's better to complain about the trailer than the full movie. Coz I remember people were blown away by SP's trailer and majority weren't too happy with the full movie. NTTD might still come good. Add the gunbarrel, an upbeat theme and score and we have a classic bond film.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Couple of observations:

-01:53: Full face mask and the same jacket as the scene on the icelake, where the mask is partly destroyed. So he must encounter some opposition at the hut. Mr. White?

When Bond says your a 00 and does Noami say 2 years or 2 yes?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I can't remember when a Bond trailer had mixed reviews like this. But I think it's better to complain about the trailer than the full movie. Coz I remember people were blown away by SP's trailer and majority weren't too happy with the full movie.

Yeah, I agree with this.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Couple of observations:

Sounded like "2 years".
    The trailer looks and feels very American. It doesn’t feel or look like Craig’s other films at all.

When the universal screen rolled with Ms voiceover it felt awkward.

Some of Craig’s dialogue felt forced and cheap as well.
    Couple of observations:

Sounded like "2 years".

@MajorDSmythe I thought so to relistening to it it sounds like like 2 yes.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 3,333
    mtm wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes indeed: he's certainly* not referring to Bond at that point in the movie because Bond won't be 007 at the point he's in Jamaica!
    Although admittedly his predecessor did call him 007 in Licence To Kill even after he'd quit then ;)
    I should've mentioned that and well spotted. As you pointed out, M would know James Bond was retired before the trailer cuts to him in Jamaica, so it's clearly another 007 he's referring to and not Bond.
    Well that, or the shot of M is from much later in the movie when Bond is 007 again (maybe). Either way, they're unlikely to actually both be shots from the same time in the movie.
    Agreed. My understanding is we know that Bond has left active service, which means he's no longer actively involved with MI6 or the OO-Section when he's seen convalescing in Jamaica. I've just got a feeling that they're saving that big reveal of Niomi in-place of Bond for the actual movie, and we won't get to see it in any of the trailers beforehand. Of course, the early reviews or test screenings will reveal the truth before most of us have shelled out on cinema tickets, so they might as well be up-front and honest about it, if it's indeed true. Maybe they're holding off, so as to create a big media buzz closer to the release date. The next few months are going to be interesting, to be sure.
    Couple of observations:

Sounded like "2 years".
    It's most definitely "two years" unless my ears need a good syringe.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I can't remember when a Bond trailer had mixed reviews like this. But I think it's better to complain about the trailer than the full movie. Coz I remember people were blown away by SP's trailer and majority weren't too happy with the full movie. NTTD might still come good. Add the gunbarrel, an upbeat theme and score and we have a classic bond film.
    I think there's more to what constitutes a classic Bond film than just the insertion of the gunbarrel, an upbeat theme and score. A good story told with good acting, perhaps? Though I agree that trailers can be deceptive, it doesn't necessarily mean a studio is guaranteed my money or anyone else's come to that, based solely on loyalty or blind faith. I like some of what I've seen, but there's things I'm not particularly enamoured with. For me, I'll be holding off whether I see it on opening night or not. Until I know more about the movie, I'm going to lower my own expectations.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    I’ve seen the trailer a few times now and: wow, it seems like most - if not all - my disinterest in this film washed away.

Positives:
    - Feels like a culmination of all Craig’s entries for the perfect sendoff; you’ve got the vibrancy and “pop” of CR, the grit and intensity of QoS, SF’s lush atmospherics with the cinematography, and SP’s style.
    - Craig feels at the top of his game here, in the action especially.
    - LOVE the cinematography.
    - Looks like NTTD will have a fine balance of action, story, and character driven moments.
    - Rami Malek’s suitably creepy and I can’t wait to see how his Safin character unfolds.

Negatives:
    - *Sigh*....more personal angles here. Not really feeling it. Like seriously, can we just move away from the vendettas, “his/her secrets have secrets” business for once?
    - It feels....crammed. We’ve got major players from SP, Mi6 feels to be focused on AGAIN, and Felix is back. Wish the focus was narrower.
    - Too many callbacks, references, winks to previous Craig-era Bond films as others have pointed out (bridge jump, Bond presumed dead AGAIN, etc.).
    - I wasn’t a big fan of SP and I get the impression this film will do down that same road, only slightly less boring.
    - Safin’s lair kind of reminds me of Blade Runner 2049... Not a bad thing, but perhaps a little too derivative?

All in all, I’m looking forward to the film and will be there opening night but have some reservations. Remaining cautiously optimistic.
    I simply loved it. Every frame of it. It worth the wait. Just a quick doubt/observation:
    If I remember correctly, in early SP drafts, Q was taken hostage, and now, there's this new theory about the shot of Safin behind the glass could also be at Q's home. Particularly I think Safin's white coat is only for the Norway scenes, BUT, it's obvious that Q has some importance to the plot, otherwise he wouldn't be featured in the character posters from yesterday. Right?

This is so puzzling to me. Not only is it the same coat but the mask does not have the corner missing. Does Safin have more than one mask but only one coat? This blows up the flashback theory as I would imagine he's have bought a new coat from Walmart by now.

Is it winter in London for part of the film?

Is the glass just symbolic or misdirection?

Also who are those people dressed in red standing in water holding LED's

Man this film is still so mysterious
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Couple of observations:

Sounded like "2 years".

"Two years", according to the subtitled version.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Couple of observations:

Ha! That’s a good thought: maybe! :)
    ertert wrote: »

This is so puzzling to me. Not only is it the same coat but the mask does not have the corner missing. Does Safin have more than one mask but only one coat? This blows up the flashback theory as I would imagine he's have bought a new coat from Walmart by now.

That's why I am loving it.
    Couple of observations:

Sounded like "2 years".

"Two years", according to the subtitled version.

Ok I was trying to get that on.
  • I’m more than satisfied with the trailer and am definitely excitedly by what I’m seeing. I know a lot of people were hoping there would be some distance from SP, but we knew from day one it would be a direct follow up so it’s no surprise that there’s still the personal angle.

Overall it does feel very different from the previous three movies, but I’m glad that Fukunaga has injected some new energy/vibes while still staying true to the franchise. I’m really most excited to see what the dynamic between Bond and Madeleine is and this “secret”. I know many around here aren’t fond of the emotionality of Craig’s tenure, but I think his films have been their best at their most emotional and I’m happy to see that we’re cranking that up a notch after a SP. Other than the dodgy green screen before the bridge jump, I really don’t have any negatives! Bring on April!!!
    I think the Cabin will be the PTS, then Matera right after. Or Matera is part of the PTS. Mostly why I think this is there needs to be enough time between Bond & Madeline breaking up, which I assume happens in that location, and Bond seeing her again to meet Blofeld that it's believably a shock to him to see her again.

So maybe Cabin, Matera, Jamaica, Cuba, London, Norway.

Who the hell knows really. Those scenes of Nomi in action were unexpected.
  • NectouxNectoux São Paulo, Brazil

That's lighting for algae cultures. That ties with the rumours...
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    The trailer looks and feels very American. It doesn’t feel or look like Craig’s other films at all.

Yeah, right. We believe you. Say "goodnight, Gracie."

ColonelSun wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Yeah, right. We believe you. Say "goodnight, Gracie."

:))
    Still looking forward to it
    Nectoux wrote: »

That's lighting for algae cultures. That ties with the rumours...

Fascinating. I forgot all about that and was so sure based on this trailer it was some kind of fountain of youth thing since I can't tell if Safin is burned or wrinkled from age.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I’m more than satisfied with the trailer and am definitely excitedly by what I’m seeing. I know a lot of people were hoping there would be some distance from SP, but we knew from day one it would be a direct follow up so it’s no surprise that there’s still the personal angle.

Overall it does feel very different from the previous three movies, but I’m glad that Fukunaga has injected some new energy/vibes while still staying true to the franchise. I’m really most excited to see what the dynamic between Bond and Madeleine is and this “secret”. I know many around here aren’t fond of the emotionality of Craig’s tenure, but I think his films have been their best at their most emotional and I’m happy to see that we’re cranking that up a notch after a SP. Other than the dodgy green screen before the bridge jump, I really don’t have any negatives! Bring on April!!!

This. I’m just happy to have one more Bond film starring Craig. This is no time to be picky!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,383
    I think the Cabin will be the PTS, then Matera right after. Or Matera is part of the PTS. Mostly why I think this is there needs to be enough time between Bond & Madeline breaking up, which I assume happens in that location, and Bond seeing her again to meet Blofeld that it's believably a shock to him to see her again.

I agree chronologically. The Matera scene seems too long to be the the PTS. Unless Norway happens to be a flashback at a different part of the film.

I agree chronologically. The Matera scene seems too long to be the the PTS. Unless Norway happens to be a flashback at a different part of the film.

Perhaps then Norway is the PTS. Would be a creepy and mysterious way to set up the plot given that the mask seems to be very significant.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Perhaps then Norway is the PTS. Would be a creepy and mysterious way to set up the plot given that the mask seems to be very significant.

I think it will be. The mask could be the last thing we see before the PTS transitions into the titles sequence, like the ring was in Spectre.
    He obviously loses it at some point early because it ends up with Madeleine.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I think my only gripe are some of the outfits. I know Bond is retired and what not, but what’s up with the white Henley & the tan trench coat?