007 heading to streaming? Amazon buys MGM for $8.45 billion!

edited May 2021 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 4,400
What are our thoughts on this?

The streaming wars will officially begin this winter – with both Disney and Apple launching services and Warner’s HBO Max waiting in the wings. In turn, pretty much all studios will abandon licencing deals with established streaming services and launch their own platforms.

The industry is in flux and almost certainly will look entirely different in 5 years’ times. We have already seen streaming services invading the art-houses, with Netflix now a legitimate Oscar player – something Netflix was derided for even attempting in 2015. So surely, next the streamers will come for franchise films? Disney is certainly using this model with a deluge of Star Wars and Marvel shows due to launch.

So where does this leave Bond? Well, Bond is pretty much the only nomadic franchise. Aside from MGM’s minor stake in the company, the series flits between studios with ease.

Can we envision Bond heading to a streaming service? It’s a series that seems custom built for streaming services - which are designed to engage and saturate audiences with content. If you get a stake in 007, you also get a stake in the (soon to be) 25 other films in the series. That is a helluva lot of content which spans almost 60 years. Quite the feat, not only in terms of building up IP but also influencing cinematic history.

I think there is a very good chance that Bond will be one of the first major franchises to ‘jump ship’ and head to a streaming giant. I think the most logical seems to be Apple. It’s not so crazy to contemplate, they were after all in the bidding race for NTTD – which feels like a lifetime ago but was actually only two years ago:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/apple-amazon-join-race-james-bond-film-rights-1035539

Plus, the Apple brand values sync nicely with Bond. They are a premium tech company who produce ‘state of the act’ products. It’s a far more comfortable piece of brand synergy than say Disney and there vulgar tendency to merchandise and theme-parkise their IP for the dumb masses.

The other attractive thing is that Apple have committed to theatrical windows for their films and, Lord knows, they have the disposal cash to finance and distribute behind a tentpole film such as Bond.

There has even been recent rumours that MGM is thinking of selling up to Apple:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/apples-bumpy-tv-launch-inside-tech-giants-impending-arrival-hollywood-1247577

Personally, I hope it happens. If Bond goes to streaming it changes the goalposts and we could see the entire dynamic of these films change for the better.

So……….will we see Bond jump to streaming? Or will Eon (ever the traditionalists) stick to their model?

Comments

I don't even know what streaming is,if i'm honest. :/
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Here is what I always felt about Bond when it came to the idea of a potential streaming adaptation:

I think EON's Bond should remain in cinema. There's something very special about these films that really translates best on the big screen with a large crowd. It's really become something of its own beast compared to what the original novels were that they're no longer in the same league. They should never leave the theatrical experience.

That said, I would love to see strict adaptations of the original novels on a streaming service. There, you get rid of all the EON specific iconography like the gun barrel, the Barry sound, Blofeld's cat, etc. Set it in the 1950s. Make it for a strictly adult audience. Being on a streaming service, you're no longer trying to come up with a Bond film that has to live up to what we expect from Bond in cinema. You don't have to bother thinking of throwing in a large set piece. No need to use the cinematic formula. Even if EON wanted to, they could have never done a strict adaptation of CR right down to a hard cut to black after Bond says "the bitch is dead". That was just never in the cards for the Cinematic Bond. But on the television medium, all bets are off.

Of course, that's what I would like to see. I think such a streaming series would serve as a good counterpoint to the cinematic Bond.
  • A move to a streaming service doesn’t preclude a theatrical release.

In fact, this is the model that Amazon and Apple have adopted. Some projects go directly to streaming, but a number of ‘big ticket’ items are given splashy theatrical windows. This is unlike Netflix, who have only started doing very (very very) brief theatrical releases to entice high-brow directors. Most theatre chains are on to them and have refused to screen their films.

It’s been a totally different story with Amazon. If Apple did release a Bond film, it would likely still get 12 weeks in cinemas before going to streaming.

But I’ve had some polarising experiences in the cinema recently, the audience were too dumb and bored to get OUATIH, kids were bored and playing on their phones in Joker, but I had a terrific time with an engaged audience in Endgame. But even then they were noisy and chatty – but I didn’t really mind as they all seem so excited.

Perhaps the cinema experience isn’t “dead’ but it has certainly changed……………I’d be v interested to hear @antovolk thoughts on this.
    The only time I can recall an experience where there were people on their phones or being chatty was during a matinee screening of the first HOBBIT film. I don't know how common that is for others, but thankfully it hasn't been a recurring thing in my experience.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Personally, I wouldn't at all mind Bond on a streaming service. If it does happen, the films will likely still get a theatrical release; as you write @Pierce2Daniel, moving to a streaming service doesn’t preclude a theatrical release.

The only reservations I have is which streaming service would be most suitable. I wouldn't want Bond anywhere near Disney and their streaming platform. I'm also not sure about Netflix. Apple's new streaming service might be a decent fit, but like any new streaming service, it needs to be popular enough for EON to even consider them; Netflix has an advantage here.
    But I’ve had some polarising experiences in the cinema recently, the audience were too dumb and bored to get OUATIH, kids were bored and playing on their phones in Joker, but I had a terrific time with an engaged audience in Endgame. But even then they were noisy and chatty – but I didn’t really mind as they all seem so excited.

This has happened to me more often than not the last 8 -10 years going to the cinema. So much so that I really don't care for a trip to the cinema anymore. The worst experience I had was with Inglourious Basterds, where a noisy group of couples in their mid-20's constantly sat with their phones, talking loudly and leaving halfway through the film. I heard one of them as they left the room saying "…they speak too much! Where the f**k is the action?!" (or something like that). They obviously expected a cheap a shoot-em-up kind of film, not something that included…dialogue.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    edited October 2019 Posts: 2,426
    I’ve thought for a while now that I’d like to see some kind of spin-off or addition to the theatrical Bond films, mainly because of the long wait between films. I’d quite like to see some EON spin-off film such as an exploration of Moneypenny’s training as an agent and any other assignments she took part in before her desk-duty. I would even have quite liked to see the proposed Jinx spin-off, but that boat has sailed.

It’s likely that a streaming service pick up would be a TV show however. So I do quite like the idea of exploring more literal interpretations of the Fleming novels - they would sit alongside the ‘official’ cinematic Bond films in the same way the books do now. In fact, I’d quite like to see animated versions of these, maybe in an anime style - although I suppose the Dynamite Comics are already doing that. The continuation novels are also a large pool of potential material for a show as well.

The Young Bond books would also make a great TV show, and would maybe be a ‘step away’ from the Bond films so the two don’t conflict. I really like the Silverfin graphic novel that was produced, and so could see this again great as an animated show.

I suppose the question is how to make sure anything doesn’t cheapen the Consistently high standard set by the EON films, either in the short term or longer term (where the worry is that more and more shows will be developed/rebooted as time goes on leading to a sprawling catalogue of material of varying quality).

I suppose the question is how to make sure anything doesn’t cheapen the Consistently high standard set by the EON films, either in the short term or longer term (where the worry is that more and more shows will be developed/rebooted as time goes on leading to a sprawling catalogue of material of varying quality).

I think it's best to think of it like how there's many versions of Sherlock Holmes. No version really "cheapens" the other, but rather adds variety. That's why if there has to be Bond involved in streaming, I don't want EON and all its trademarks put in.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    It’s not something I’m really up on, so can one of you guys explain what the rights implications are? For instance in the example above of Apple buying up MGM what does that give Apple the right to produce?

If someone wanted to produce a TV show based on the Fleming novels for example who owns the rights to that? What intellectual rights do EON have - is that just films or does it extend into other areas?

Any insights would be interesting - thanks
    A move to a streaming service doesn’t preclude a theatrical release.

In fact, this is the model that Amazon and Apple have adopted. Some projects go directly to streaming, but a number of ‘big ticket’ items are given splashy theatrical windows. This is unlike Netflix, who have only started doing very (very very) brief theatrical releases to entice high-brow directors. Most theatre chains are on to them and have refused to screen their films.

It’s been a totally different story with Amazon. If Apple did release a Bond film, it would likely still get 12 weeks in cinemas before going to streaming.

Perhaps the cinema experience isn’t “dead’ but it has certainly changed……………I’d be v interested to hear @antovolk thoughts on this.

I think Sky have done a few releases where they premiere on TV and at the cinema on the same day. Gives everyone the choice.
  • No. I prefer theatrical release only.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'll say this:

I'd be highly surprised if Bond continues to be an iindependant property from the studio system post Bond 25. I think this is the end of an era, which is the reason for getting Craig back and the one picture deal for distribution.
    I think in this day in age IP is simply too valuable, every big player in the business would be bidding for a property like Bond, it has such a universal reach. I wpuld never say this, but once it happened with STAR WARS, I no longer feel like it is very unlikely. There are also some quotes which have come out which support the idea that this could happen soon. Barbara herself said she wouldn't like to make a Bond film without Craig. I think she has many projects besides Bond which she wants to get to, and I think once the Craig era is complete she'll feel like she has done her part.

Now whether it goes to a streaming service thats another matter. Imagine Netflix or Amazon having exclusive rights for Bond movies on their service. Thats a huge coup right there. But I feel like if Bond does come up for grabs it'll be Warner Bros who gets it. I don't think they have a service of their own yet, but perhaps they are preparing one. I think the idea of a Christopher Nolan Bond film is so mouth watering that they probably think its worth the money. But whoever it is, I think Bond will go bigger in terms of blockbuster appeal and not smaller, back to cold war thrillers. I think the franchise is set up now for big things, and its exciting to think what could be around the corner.
  • I'll say this:

I'd be highly surprised if Bond continues to be an iindependant property from the studio system post Bond 25. I think this is the end of an era, which is the reason for getting Craig back and the one picture deal for distribution.
    I think in this day in age IP is simply too valuable, every big player in the business would be bidding for a property like Bond, it has such a universal reach. I wpuld never say this, but once it happened with STAR WARS, I no longer feel like it is very unlikely. There are also some quotes which have come out which support the idea that this could happen soon. Barbara herself said she wouldn't like to make a Bond film without Craig. I think she has many projects besides Bond which she wants to get to, and I think once the Craig era is complete she'll feel like she has done her part.

Now whether it goes to a streaming service thats another matter. Imagine Netflix or Amazon having exclusive rights for Bond movies on their service. Thats a huge coup right there. But I feel like if Bond does come up for grabs it'll be Warner Bros who gets it. I don't think they have a service of their own yet, but perhaps they are preparing one. I think the idea of a Christopher Nolan Bond film is so mouth watering that they probably think its worth the money. But whoever it is, I think Bond will go bigger in terms of blockbuster appeal and not smaller, back to cold war thrillers. I think the franchise is set up now for big things, and its exciting to think what could be around the corner.

It's called HBO Max and it arrives next spring.....

You make some very valid points about Eon selling up and the current administration moving on.

Personally, I think it may be time for Eon to move to a streaming service. You could get something very special if Netflix was involved. I just had a very pleasant Sunday watching The Irishman at home. I had the heating on and had plenty of opportunities to make a cup of tea.

Which is by far more rewarding than my experience watching Joker in a cold poxy cinema where children were on their phones and chatting to each other.

Maybe I'm getting old, but the threatre experience for me is waning. Especially when the quality of product - such as the rather terrific The Irishman - is available at home.

I mean just look at the time and money that Netflix put into The Irishman! It's staggering. Plus, there is zero anxiety regarding pundits analysing and critiquing box office. Then, because the film would be available to every country on the same day, you start a huge international conversation. People who would never watch a film like The Irishman now feel compelled. It's become the zeitgeist, even though it stars a bunch of 70 year old men.

Nope! Bond is Cinema only for me!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    This has happened to me more often than not the last 8 -10 years going to the cinema. So much so that I really don't care for a trip to the cinema anymore. The worst experience I had was with Inglourious Basterds, where a noisy group of couples in their mid-20's constantly sat with their phones, talking loudly and leaving halfway through the film. I heard one of them as they left the room saying "…they speak too much! Where the f**k is the action?!" (or something like that). They obviously expected a cheap a shoot-em-up kind of film, not something that included…dialogue.

So they went and watched a Tarantino movie only to complain about the dialogues? People are bloody stupid. But then again parents took their children to watch Sausage Party and complained because it was not for children.
  • Apple is after James Bond and might buy MGM

It's happening.....

It makes sense that Bond goes streaming. It would let audiences binge all the previous movies and then watch the new one.

I think the most logical choice is Apple. Plus, the Apple brand values sync nicely with Bond. They are a premium tech company who produce ‘state of the act’ products. It’s a far more comfortable piece of brand synergy than say Disney and there vulgar tendency to merchandise and theme-parkise their IP for the dumb masses.

The other attractive thing is that Apple have committed to theatrical windows for their films and, Lord knows, they have the disposal cash to finance and distribute behind a tentpole film such as Bond.
  • No. I think Netflix/streaming has been great for the industry. And TV in particular has been really good thanks to the rise of all that. But Bond isn't the Irishman. It's a big 12A rated blockbuster, a brand people know and love. The Irishman wouldn't have gone to Netflix if a studio had had the bottle to fund it, Bond will never have that problem.

And I wouldn't want it to. Even if it came out at the cinema at the same time or had a limited release a couple of weeks before, the new Bond film being available at home straight away would really kill the magic a bit imo. A new Bond film, in the UK at least, feels like a real event. I think releasing it on streaming at the same time would kill that hype a bit. Some experiences deserve to be proper cinematic ones, that you have to go to the cinema to see before talking to your mates about it.

What I would be interested in is a Netflix (or HBO or BBC or whatever) TV series adapting the Fleming novels faithfully. But a member on here told me that EON shut down the idea of a commercial audio drama company doing that because they were worried it'd affect DVD sales. If that's true then I can't see a Bond TV series ever happening.

I hope EON don't sell up personally. I think it's cool that they've managed to keep going so long as an independant producer and I wouldn't trust a big production company to not lose the magic of it and turn it into a bland, soulless shadow of itself.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Apple is after James Bond and might buy MGM

It's happening.....

Honest question: is Apple going to stream the Sony Bond movies with all that Sony product placement?
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Stream the classic films all they want on whichever platform wants them. But do NOT become exclusive of streaming because then we will get the Strangways and Quarrell limited series about how they met and their adventures in Jamaica. We will get a Felix of the CIA series about how Felix gets into adventures away from 007. We might even get a Young Bond series based on the books.

In short the quality will suffer and we will get needless titles and productions. Keep it to one character please and have everything around that! Although maybe I have hit on another thread idea? LMAO
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Walecs wrote: »

So they went and watched a Tarantino movie only to complain about the dialogues? People are bloody stupid. But then again parents took their children to watch Sausage Party and complained because it was not for children.

They certainly did! It's people like this that ruins a trip to the cinema for me. I just hope it doesn't happen with a Bond film…
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    I am old enough to remember when Ted Turner ponied up the dough to buy exclusive cable TV re-run rights to the Bond series. At the time I thought this was a foolish investment: the series was played out already on the Big 3 networks, and who cares anymore? But then I saw what he did with the movies: the intro & outro bumpers, the promos, the interstitial chats, the trivia and making-ofs... Bond became a Big Deal on his channel (not unlike Shark Week on another channel).

Now television is changing once again, and so is the cinema. Anything can happen--and something will.

"The movies" occupies a certain notional space within the entertainment sphere. Centuries ago, Grand Opera was the be-all and end-all of popular art--but where is it now? Nowadays, a new opera is a rare thing; classical music as a whole endures as an ossified collection known as "the standard repertoire." The same thing will happen to movies. The people of the future will dress up to go see Citizen Kane, Casablanca and From Russia with Love on special occasions.

What will replace the cinema? I don't know. Some of the science fiction I've read has us "jacking in" recorded experience directly into our brains. Personally, I imagine something that's less invasive and more like a cross between a video game and a rock concert. But whatever the format may evolve into, I take some comfort in knowing that....

....JAMES BOND WILL RETURN.
    Going to be interesting to see how this Apple story develops?
    Interesting quotes from Barbara in the Variety interview:
    Fukunaga and cinematographer Linus Sandgren pushed to have “No Time to Die” shot on film instead of digital, believing it enhanced the look of the picture. They also used Imax cameras for key sequences. These decisions were made with an eye toward boosting the theatrical run of “No Time to Die.” But the film is hitting theaters at a moment of transition for the industry. Netflix has upended the way that people consume movies, providing a direct challenge to the exhibition industry. In the process, Disney has launched a streaming service and Comcast and WarnerMedia are preparing their own subscription offerings. For now, Broccoli says Bond’s future will remain on the big screen, but she doesn’t rule out the possibility that a future 007 adventure could debut on a streaming platform.

“We make these films for the audiences,” Broccoli says. “We like to think that they’re going to be seen primarily on the big screen. But having said that, we have to look to the future. Our fans are the ones who dictate how they want to consume their entertainment. I don’t think we can rule anything out, because it’s the audience that will make those decisions. Not us.”

Looks like Bond on a streaming service might be a thing eventually.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 725
    No! Most of the boomers here would be confused.
    No. To me, Bond is a movie series, and each new Bond is a cinema event.

One day the concept of going to watch a ‘film’ in a ‘cinema’ will be dead. Which in my view will be the right time for Bond as a film series to stop, too.
    No. To me, Bond is a movie series, and each new Bond is a cinema event.

One day the concept of going to watch a ‘film’ in a ‘cinema’ will be dead. Which in my view will be the right time for Bond as a film series to stop, too.

I never ever want to see that day!
  • MGM in discussions with Netflix and Apple

This syncs up with Broccoli’s comments last month….I think the eventual likelihood is that Bond 26 will belong to a streamer.

Whereas that totally precludes a theatrical release isn’t known at this point. But if it’s Netflix, I’d imagine Bond will get a near non-existent cinematic presence. Whilst Apple will still release in cinemas, but to what extent is unknown……………..

What seems likely, is that the oldest film franchise in movie history will be the first to jump ship to streaming.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,241
    It would be really interesting if EON jumped ship like that, and a massive "win" for whoever secures the streaming rights. It's also interesting to think what a move like that would mean for the cinema industry.
  • It's one thing for Netflix or Apple to have exclusive streaming rights to the Bond catalogue, including any new releases. It's another thing for Netflix or Apple to be producing new films and releasing them only on their platform, bypassing cinemas. I'm sure the latter scenario is a no-deal for EON and possible MGM.
    Let’s enjoy NTTD , I have a feeling a big shakeup or hiatus is coming afterwards.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    It's one thing for Netflix or Apple to have exclusive streaming rights to the Bond catalogue, including any new releases. It's another thing for Netflix or Apple to be producing new films and releasing them only on their platform, bypassing cinemas. I'm sure the latter scenario is a no-deal for EON and possible MGM.

If MGM sells to Netflix or Apple (which is what this is about), they have zero say in the matter. Their 50% ownership of Bond goes to whatever company who has bought them.

So if it comes to a sell, it's EON versus Apple or Netflix. And currently, EON does get a lot of leeway from MGM. If they want to hold out for Daniel Craig, fine. If they don't want to get on board with streaming, fine. If they don't want to do spin offs, fine.

The possible consequence of MGM selling to a streaming service is much more severe than 'Bond films will be only on their platform'. It's about the freedom and the tradition EON has right now, to do things their way. Since the streaming market is faster than 'traditional film releasing', this means that EON might need to adapt to methods they don't want to.

Brave new world.