No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited October 2019 Posts: 440
    NicNac wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Brosnan was a John Calley choice.
    Calley was briefly put in charge of United Artists around 1994-1995. He confronted EON with the lacklustre US box office of The Living Daylights and (especially) Licence to Kill, and asked for Dalton to be replaced, because they couldn't afford taking the risk of having three "flops" in a row for the franchise, especially after such a long gap in production. As a result, they had to change the lead to create even more buzz for Bond 17.
    EON tried to stick with Dalton, who had struck a friendship with Wilson and the Broccolis, but lost the fight. As a favor to Dalton, they offered him with the opportunity to announce instead he had resigned.

When Cubby died in 1996, the family asked Dalton to be one of the pallbearers. They had a working relationship with Brosnan, but not ties as deep as with Dalton.

Also, Martin Campbell has stated in interviews that he didn't like Dalton as Bond and wouldn't have considered directing Goldeneye with Dalton as the lead.

Not sure how to break this to you, but Brosnan was literally Cubby's first choice to replace Moore after AVTAK. In fact, his over-enthusiasm for Brosnan was what kept Brosnan from taking the role until 1995.

Cubby eagerly announced him to the press and had even gone so far as to shoot promotional material for TLD with him in it. But the media blitzkrieg lead to a tv show Brosnan was under contract to, getting another season, which in turn made Cubby turn to Dalton.

According to John Glen book, Cubby had to be persuaded on the "merits" of Brosnan by Michael Wilson and Glen himself.
    Cubby always wanted Dalton as far back as OHMSS!

No he didn't. Its a misconception that Dalton was considered to replace Connery when he quit in 1967/68. Dalton only had one film at that point - The Lion In Winter - which was released a few months after Lazenby was announced.

Dalton was considered the second time Connery quit after DAF. By that time he had played Heathcliffe in Wuthering Hieghts on top of other roles. And was an emerging British star.

Exactly. I should have worded my response better @HildebrandRarity ; it wasn't really about Brosan being Cubby's first choice (the information I had read on the subject suggested it, but I fully admit to others knowing more than I do on that subject), but he was absolutely a choice that Cubby signed off on.

John Calley may have had some influence when it came to getting him back in 1994/1995 but it's ludicrous to suggest that his hiring was entirely the result of one executive, especially given that Brosnan's leading man career had been stalled for several years by that point so he was hardly an obvious box office draw.

I don't see why it's hard to think that EON would have tried their hardest to keep Dalton on and at the same time made sure that Brosnan was their backup choice.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Mendes was an awful choice for Bond and Craig IMO. I know the films did great BO but the Bond of SF and SP is a different character from CR and QOS. Totally lacking in the vitality and energy of the first 2 films.
    +100

It's just a different filmmaker.

Mind you I don't hate QOS as much as a lot of us seem to do, but apart from Craig's performance there's not much that I find "great".

IMO Mendes and Logan didn't get Bond. I think he never read the books and if he did he didn't care about getting Flrming's character right. He seemed much more interested in movie Bond - hence the constant homages even at the expense of continuity (like the DB5) - and unnecessary drama (hence the brother angle in SP).
    So...no news then :)
    Univex wrote: »

Sweet Fanny Adams.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    We could talk about the supporting cast. Russian worker and lab team..

The latter must work at the scientist lab (waldo's lab?), and the russian worker could be connected to Safin somehow
  • JamesCraig wrote: »
    In any case, Dalton was a gentleman. He waited until 1994 to officially step down.

• Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Contraband wrote: »
    We could talk about the supporting cast. Russian worker and lab team..

The latter must work at the scientist lab (waldo's lab?), and the russian worker could be connected to Safin somehow

I am interested to see how Safin and Spectre are connected if at all. There seems to be a distinction between Safin and his compatriots and the Spectre team. Perhaps Safin is also a scientist, Bond saves him only to discover he is the true villain.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Sweet Fanny Adams.
    Oh well...
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,497
    In any case, Dalton was a gentleman. He waited until 1994 to officially step down.

He announced his resignation in April 1994, during the shooting of the Scarlett mini-series.
  • JamesCraig wrote: »

He announced his resignation in April 1994, during the shooting of the Scarlett mini-series.

Yes I know.
  • It's possible Safin is a member of SPECTRE who goes rogue and gets his own team to commit his crimes.

The real question is, with Blofeld behind bars who is running SPECTRE?
    Or is Blofeld somehow running SPECTRE from behind bars? ;)
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited October 2019 Posts: 524
    It's possible Safin is a member of SPECTRE who goes rogue and gets his own team to commit his crimes.

The real question is, with Blofeld behind bars who is running SPECTRE?

That's why I think Blofeld won't be behind bars for long in NTTD. However, they want to give full room to Malek's villain, and I don't think Waltz has shot very long sequences.

So my guess is that Blofeld will escape from prison at the first act of the film, Safin is doing his evil plan taking orders from Blofeld (but maybe Bond doesn't know it), and at the end I think Blofeld and Bond will come face to face again.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    IMDB updated:

Safins henchman, Russian worker, Laboratory Team member, and lot's of Spectre-guys

Lourdes Faberes ... Spectre Agent
    Ahmed Bakare ... Spectre VIP Guest
    Rae Lim ... Spectre Agent
    Paul O'Kelly ... Safins Henchmen
    Julian Ferro ... MI6 Security Guard
    Brigitte Millar ... Vogel
    Toby Sauerback ... Guard
    Iulia Filipovscaia ... Russian Worker
    Ty Hurley ... Office Male
    Rod Hunt ... Spectre Bodyguard
    Douglas Bunn ... Spectre Member
    Adnan Rashed ... Spectre Agent
    Michael Herne ... Spectre Guest
    Lampros Kalfuntzos ... Cyclist
    Joe Grossi ... Hotel Porter
    Mariia Legun ... Laboratory Team
    Andy Cheung ... Spectre Agent
    Andrew Reed ... Motorbike Rider
    Omar Alboukharey ... Spectre Member (uncredited)
    Rodrig Andrisan ... Spectre Member (uncredited)
    Ali El Khodary ... Bodyguard (uncredited)
    Andrew G. Ogleby ... MI6 Worker (uncredited)

I wonder if either Mr So is back
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    w2bond wrote: »
    IMDB updated:

Safins henchman, Russian worker, Laboratory Team member, and lot's of Spectre-guys

Toby Sauerback ... Guard

I have a feeling one of them will. It'd be cool to see both of them.
    Calley was briefly put in charge of United Artists around 1994-1995. He confronted EON with the lacklustre US box office of The Living Daylights and (especially) Licence to Kill, and asked for Dalton to be replaced, because they couldn't afford taking the risk of having three "flops" in a row for the franchise, especially after such a long gap in production. As a result, they had to change the lead to create even more buzz for Bond 17.
    EON tried to stick with Dalton, who had struck a friendship with Wilson and the Broccolis, but lost the fight. As a favor to Dalton, they offered him with the opportunity to announce instead he had resigned.

When Cubby died in 1996, the family asked Dalton to be one of the pallbearers. They had a working relationship with Brosnan, but not ties as deep as with Dalton.

Also, Martin Campbell has stated in interviews that he didn't like Dalton as Bond and wouldn't have considered directing Goldeneye with Dalton as the lead.

Not sure how to break this to you, but Brosnan was literally Cubby's first choice to replace Moore after AVTAK. In fact, his over-enthusiasm for Brosnan was what kept Brosnan from taking the role until 1995.

Cubby eagerly announced him to the press and had even gone so far as to shoot promotional material for TLD with him in it. But the media blitzkrieg lead to a tv show Brosnan was under contract to, getting another season, which in turn made Cubby turn to Dalton.

According to John Glen book, Cubby had to be persuaded on the "merits" of Brosnan by Michael Wilson and Glen himself.

No he didn't. Its a misconception that Dalton was considered to replace Connery when he quit in 1967/68. Dalton only had one film at that point - The Lion In Winter - which was released a few months after Lazenby was announced.

Dalton was considered the second time Connery quit after DAF. By that time he had played Heathcliffe in Wuthering Hieghts on top of other roles. And was an emerging British star.

Wrong. Dalton was offered it after Connery, but felt he was too young for the role! Next time he was considered was after MR, when Moore's contract was up!
  • shamelord wrote: »

Hard for them to deal with Blofeld with originality - especially given Solomon Lane in the M:I films. Blofeld orchestrating things from a prison cell isn't original either - Italian Job, Silence of the Lambs, Skyfall, Dark Knight all have shades of this.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jake24 wrote: »
    w2bond wrote: »
    IMDB updated:

Toby Sauerback ... Guard

I have a feeling one of them will. It'd be cool to see both of them.

It would be so and so.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

Yes I know.

Okay. We cool. :)>-
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    shamelord wrote: »

Hard for them to deal with Blofeld with originality - especially given Solomon Lane in the M:I films. Blofeld orchestrating things from a prison cell isn't original either - Italian Job, Silence of the Lambs, Skyfall, Dark Knight all have shades of this.

At this point it's just a trope that they may very well use
    Unless he is busted out of jail ala Sanchez in LTK.

Mind you ,that will make the British look useless again,i think we've had enough of that with SF and SP.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    edited October 2019 Posts: 564
    shamelord wrote: »

At this point it's just a trope that they may very well use

I have a similar feeling. Most plotlines have been explored by some film its how you use them and the execution that differs. If you watch True Detective plot wise its no dofferent than other crime dramas its just Cary is a skilled director who elevated the material into something great.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    mtm wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    People keep repeating this, but it's very likely they had no intention of using Blofeld and SPECTRE ever again after they got the rights back... until Sam Mendes had the "brilliant" idea that they should return.

They bought the rights because Mendes and Logan really wanted to use Blofeld.

My guess is that it was presented that way.

EON/Danjaq may have tried a few times to buy the rights from McClory's estate. Around 2013, they see an opportunity. They must cost something in the tens of millions of pounds, dollars, euros or whatever currency the McClories want to get.

When they're close to the deal, accountants explain that this operation will be charged on both MGM and Danjaq, but if SPECTRE and Blofeld are used in the next film, the final film in the Sony contract, Sony would foot the bill, as the acquisition costs would be assigned to development in the budget of Bond 24. Anyway, after that operation, these elements owned by the estate of Kevin McClory will be forever part of the IP already owned by Danjaq and MGM.

That was an opportunity to good to miss, the final missing piece (after the adaptation rights to CR) they'd been trying to find for decades.

At this point, Logan and Mendes are already in love with their idea of making the next villain Bond's adoptive brother named Oberhauser. Logan may be interested in using Spectre, but for Bond 25, as he was then developing a two-parter. Corporate pressure get the upper hand and they find some compromise. They keep the Operation Kid Step Brother plot, and they merge Oberhauser with Blofeld, with elements from the projected Bond 25 synopsis being used for the third act.

Logan tries to find a suitable use of Blofeld and SPECTRE in his script, fails to do it, and leaves production, to be replaced by Purvis and Wade. EON may have even accepted to compromise in some way Bond 25 for the benefit of the entire franchise, they show at some point to Sony the script they have come up with, Sony green-lights the project and pays for the transaction with the estate.

I know this may explain many things too nicely, but I really suspect that part of the creative decisions were related to taking advantage of a few financial windows of opportunity.

Interesting thoughts; I’m trying to decide if it was just Oberhauser was Bond’s brother would I have disliked it as much? Was making him Blofeld too the bit that pushed it too far? I think so, probably yes.

Making the villain someone from Bond's childhood or early years was bad enough and shouldn't have been touched period.

Although, making it Blofeld will always be the worst crime the series has ever committed.

It was incredibly ill-advised.

I kind of don’t mind the ‘cuckoo’ concept, but to make it work you’d need a character who’s from outside of Bond’s world. For him to be a super-terrorist and for it to just have happened that he’s ended up in the same line of work (more or less) as Bond is just a bit too silly.

It all sounds incredibly contrived when you start to connect it with Bond's past. SF should have been as far as that was taken.

When you try factor things like someone from Bond's past the author of all your pain.

What dreadful line that was but no doubt whoever wrote thought it was inspired
    Oh I think it’s a cracking line, whether or not it should have happened! :)

Not in that context and not in that film.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Maybe Safin kills Blofeld, to take control of Spectre.
  • Benny wrote: »
    Maybe Safin kills Blofeld, to take control of Spectre.

Or maybe Bond and/or Swann does unwittingly enabling Safin to take control of Spectre.
    I cant see Safin killing Blofeld,that would make him even more of a pathetic character than he was in SP.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Wrong. Dalton was offered it after Connery, but felt he was too young for the role! Next time he was considered was after MR, when Moore's contract was up!

I don't know how it can possibly be wrong. In early 1968 when Lazenby was cast what had Cubby got to go on as far as Dalton was concerned? He had no CV. If Dalton says he was considered for OHMSS then he doesn't remember correctly. In 1971 Connery quit 'for good' and the search was on again. Dalton even then was 25 years old, so plenty young enough for him to think twice.

And he was considered, along with many others. He was never approached.
    Everyone assumes Blofeld is in prison

He was merely detained at the end of Spectre

Maybe he got out before NTTD starts off
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,548
    Mendes was an awful choice for Bond and Craig IMO. I know the films did great BO but the Bond of SF and SP is a different character from CR and QOS. Totally lacking in the vitality and energy of the first 2 films.

+100

It's just a different filmmaker.

Mind you I don't hate QOS as much as a lot of us seem to do, but apart from Craig's performance there's not much that I find "great".

IMO Mendes and Logan didn't get Bond. I think he never read the books and if he did he didn't care about getting Flrming's character right. He seemed much more interested in movie Bond - hence the constant homages even at the expense of continuity (like the DB5) - and unnecessary drama (hence the brother angle in SP).

Take it somewhere else. Let's not hijack this thread with asinine crap.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    What if Waldo is a Russian scientist?

Dencik has played Russians in the past, and they are known for their sophisticated poison labs.