No Time to Die production thread

Comments

If NTTD is great, I would advise Craig to leave on a high note, not do another DAF, AVTAK (although I quite like this, or at least bits of it) or DAD. Okay, when they did DAD, they did not know it'll be Brozzer's final.

Brosnan did go out on top finically with DAD being the highest grossing film at the time.
    The only way I wouldn't want Craig back is if they can make Bond 26 on the 60th anniversary but I highly doubt they will even get any film in time for 2022
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    If NTTD is great, I would advise Craig to leave on a high note, not do another DAF, AVTAK (although I quite like this, or at least bits of it) or DAD. Okay, when they did DAD, they did not know it'll be Brozzer's final.

Brosnan did go out on top finically with DAD being the highest grossing film at the time.

Yeah but he went on record stating that he didn't care much for the film itself.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,497

Yeah but he went on record stating that he didn't care much for the film itself.

The only positive thing for him was that he enjoyed the Vanquish so much that he purchased one of his own. ;)

Which he sadly lost in a house fire :( https://www.motor1.com/news/76517/pierce-brosnan-reveals-he-lost-his-aston-martin-in-a-house-fire/
    You mean Aston didnt give him one?
    Getafix wrote: »
    You mean Aston didnt give him one?
    Daniel bought and sold his blue one as well.

I don't blame him. Its probably one of the reasons why he wanted to do a 5th and end on a better note.

I don't blame him. Its probably one of the reasons why he wanted to do a 5th and end on a better note.

Same for Craig, probably. Interesting.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

In hindsight, it's interesting how Brosnan wanted to do a 5th to set the wrongs of his 4th film right and end on a high note, but was dismissed; while Craig was asked to do a 5th and only said yes because he too wanted to set the wrongs of his 4th movie right and end on a high note.
  • h

In hindsight, it's interesting how Brosnan wanted to do a 5th to set the wrongs of his 4th film right and end on a high note, but was dismissed; while Craig was asked to do a 5th and only said yes because he too wanted to set the wrongs of his 4th movie right and end on a high note.

In fairness, after SF and SP, Craig had also given EON about 2 billion reasons to say yes.
    octofinger wrote: »
    h

In fairness, after SF and SP, Craig had also given EON about 2 billion reasons to say yes.

Agreed, and while SP has certain issues, it is still, for me, a million times better than DAD - which I consider to be the worst of the entire series, although Brosnan gives a good performance and doesn't overact like he does, in a few key scenes, in TWINE,

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    The Yorkshire clothing firm hoping to provide the wardrobe for new James Bond film No Time to Die
    https://yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/the-yorkshire-clothing-firm-hoping-to-provide-the-wardrobe-for-new-james-bond-film-no-time-to-die-1-10073365

A luxury cashmere retailer whose jumpers have been worn in the last two James Bond films hopes to become an official brand partner for the next film and launched an exclusive 007 cashmere collection inspired by 50 years of the British spy.

N.Peal was asked to create new pieces for Bond and Dr Madeleine Swann in No Time To Die, which comes out next April.

The company, which is headquartered in a converted barn in Beamsley, near Bolton Abbey, created 13 looks for the collection inspired by scenes from films including Goldfinger, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, GoldenEye, and three pieces worn by 007 in the latest Bond movies Skyfall and Spectre.

N.Peal began its relationship with the world’s most famous secret agent in 2012 on Skyfall when the stylist visited one of its stores and bought 25 of its blue cashmere jumpers for Daniel Craig to wear in the film.

They were so impressed with the product that they asked the company to develop two cashmere jumpers – a cable knit roll neck and a superfine mock neck – for Bond to wear in the 2015 film Spectre. The latter also featured on the Spectre teaser poster worldwide.

Speaking to The Yorkshire Post, managing director Adam Holdsworth, said: “It’s exciting times. This really gives us an opportunity to get more international recognition because we are attached to a global franchise.

“We are reaching a different customer.”

Mr Holdsworth revealed that he visited the set of No Time To Die last month to watch Daniel Craig filming some of his final scenes, which he described as “incredible”.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    The Yorkshire clothing firm hoping to provide the wardrobe for new James Bond film No Time to Die

Is it the editor who decides on the headlines? Good job.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    h

Agreed, and while SP has certain issues, it is still, for me, a million times better than DAD - which I consider to be the worst of the entire series, although Brosnan gives a good performance and doesn't overact like he does, in a few key scenes, in TWINE,

TWINE is the worst. DAD not far behind.
    Getafix wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    h

TWINE is the worst. DAD not far behind.

Pierce overacted from GE onwards, but that is a conversation best suited for another thread.

SF & SP gave EON 2 1 billion dollar movies while Brosnan didn't. Brosnan was also a Cubby choice not a Babs choice. If Cubby was still alive come DAD he probably insist Brosnan get a 5th. Since Craig is a Babs choice she is more willing to let Craig come back.
  • octofinger wrote: »
    It's not like DAD was a financial dissappointment.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

SF & SP gave EON 2 1 billion dollar movies while Brosnan didn't. Brosnan was also a Cubby choice not a Babs choice. If Cubby was still alive come DAD he probably insist Brosnan get a 5th. Since Craig is a Babs choice she is more willing to let Craig come back.

Well, I was about to go to Box Office Mojo and take a look at the adjusted for inflation numbers and....by God, Box Office Mojo has been purchased by IMDB, and the site now sucks. I can't find the genre listings anymore.
    SF & SP gave EON 2 1 billion dollar movies while Brosnan didn't.

You can't compare box office from then and now.
    Ticket prices were much lower back then, even in the 90's.

Adjusted for inflation "Die Another Day" (only in the US) was more succesful than CR, QOS and SP.
    It's different in other countries where Craig is far more popular.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    SF & SP gave EON 2 1 billion dollar movies while Brosnan didn't.

You can't compare box office from then and now.
    Ticket prices were much lower back then, even in the 90's.

Adjusted for inflation "Die Another Day" (only in the US) was more succesful than CR, QOS and SP.
    It's different in other countries where Craig is far more popular.

Or maybe where people have better tastes... :D :D

Jokes aside, just for the record, adjusting to the current inflation DAD earned almost 90 million dollars less than QOS, 140 less than CR and 330 less than SP.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Walecs wrote: »
    People keep repeating this, but it's very likely they had no intention of using Blofeld and SPECTRE ever again after they got the rights back... until Sam Mendes had the "brilliant" idea that they should return.

They bought the rights because Mendes and Logan really wanted to use Blofeld.

My guess is that it was presented that way.

EON/Danjaq may have tried a few times to buy the rights from McClory's estate. Around 2013, they see an opportunity. They must cost something in the tens of millions of pounds, dollars, euros or whatever currency the McClories want to get.

When they're close to the deal, accountants explain that this operation will be charged on both MGM and Danjaq, but if SPECTRE and Blofeld are used in the next film, the final film in the Sony contract, Sony would foot the bill, as the acquisition costs would be assigned to development in the budget of Bond 24. Anyway, after that operation, these elements owned by the estate of Kevin McClory will be forever part of the IP already owned by Danjaq and MGM.

That was an opportunity to good to miss, the final missing piece (after the adaptation rights to CR) they'd been trying to find for decades.

At this point, Logan and Mendes are already in love with their idea of making the next villain Bond's adoptive brother named Oberhauser. Logan may be interested in using Spectre, but for Bond 25, as he was then developing a two-parter. Corporate pressure get the upper hand and they find some compromise. They keep the Operation Kid Step Brother plot, and they merge Oberhauser with Blofeld, with elements from the projected Bond 25 synopsis being used for the third act.

Logan tries to find a suitable use of Blofeld and SPECTRE in his script, fails to do it, and leaves production, to be replaced by Purvis and Wade. EON may have even accepted to compromise in some way Bond 25 for the benefit of the entire franchise, they show at some point to Sony the script they have come up with, Sony green-lights the project and pays for the transaction with the estate.

I know this may explain many things too nicely, but I really suspect that part of the creative decisions were related to taking advantage of a few financial windows of opportunity.

Interesting thoughts; I’m trying to decide if it was just Oberhauser was Bond’s brother would I have disliked it as much? Was making him Blofeld too the bit that pushed it too far? I think so, probably yes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think we know how it played out from the Sony leaks/interviews given when the film was released:
    • Mendes and Logan wanted to bring Spectre and Blofled back
    • Originally they wanted Chiwetel Ejoifer for the role and envisioned Blofeld as an African Warlord who had a grudge against England.
    • Chiwetel Ejoifer was v excited for the role and Mendes was keen to hire him.
    • However, they couldn’t get that aspect of the story to work. So they began to reimagine Blofeld. There was the suggestion that Blofeld could be a woman and Meryl Streep was mentioned as an actress they were after.
    • By summer 2014, Sony and Eon were unhappy with John Logan’s script.
    • This led to Mendes asking P&W to return.
    • P&W were told to brainstorm ideas for Blofeld. One of the locations for the film was already set as Austria and they suggested the Oberhuaser story from Octopussy due to the location connection.
    • Mendes liked the idea and the notion that Bond’s surrogate father had a forgotten son. Hence, how Blofeld became Bond’s brother.

Ejiofor? Is that right? I didn’t know that, he’d have been good. But then equally if someone had said they could get Waltz I’d want him too.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    mtm wrote: »
    People keep repeating this, but it's very likely they had no intention of using Blofeld and SPECTRE ever again after they got the rights back... until Sam Mendes had the "brilliant" idea that they should return.

EON/Danjaq may have tried a few times to buy the rights from McClory's estate. Around 2013, they see an opportunity. They must cost something in the tens of millions of pounds, dollars, euros or whatever currency the McClories want to get.

When they're close to the deal, accountants explain that this operation will be charged on both MGM and Danjaq, but if SPECTRE and Blofeld are used in the next film, the final film in the Sony contract, Sony would foot the bill, as the acquisition costs would be assigned to development in the budget of Bond 24. Anyway, after that operation, these elements owned by the estate of Kevin McClory will be forever part of the IP already owned by Danjaq and MGM.

That was an opportunity to good to miss, the final missing piece (after the adaptation rights to CR) they'd been trying to find for decades.

At this point, Logan and Mendes are already in love with their idea of making the next villain Bond's adoptive brother named Oberhauser. Logan may be interested in using Spectre, but for Bond 25, as he was then developing a two-parter. Corporate pressure get the upper hand and they find some compromise. They keep the Operation Kid Step Brother plot, and they merge Oberhauser with Blofeld, with elements from the projected Bond 25 synopsis being used for the third act.

Logan tries to find a suitable use of Blofeld and SPECTRE in his script, fails to do it, and leaves production, to be replaced by Purvis and Wade. EON may have even accepted to compromise in some way Bond 25 for the benefit of the entire franchise, they show at some point to Sony the script they have come up with, Sony green-lights the project and pays for the transaction with the estate.

I know this may explain many things too nicely, but I really suspect that part of the creative decisions were related to taking advantage of a few financial windows of opportunity.

Interesting thoughts; I’m trying to decide if it was just Oberhauser was Bond’s brother would I have disliked it as much? Was making him Blofeld too the bit that pushed it too far? I think so, probably yes.

Making the villain someone from Bond's childhood or early years was bad enough and shouldn't have been touched period.

Although, making it Blofeld will always be the worst crime the series has ever committed.

It was incredibly ill-advised.
    I think we know how it played out from the Sony leaks/interviews given when the film was released:
    • Originally they wanted Chiwetel Ejoifer for the role and envisioned Blofeld as an African Warlord who had a grudge against England.
    • However, they couldn’t get that aspect of the story to work. So they began to reimagine Blofeld. There was the suggestion that Blofeld could be a woman and Meryl Streep was mentioned as an actress they were after.
    • P&W were told to brainstorm ideas for Blofeld. One of the locations for the film was already set as Austria and they suggested the Oberhuaser story from Octopussy due to the location connection.
    • Mendes liked the idea and the notion that Bond’s surrogate father had a forgotten son. Hence, how Blofeld became Bond’s brother.

Ejiofor? Is that right? I didn’t know that, he’d have been good. But then equally if someone had said they could get Waltz I’d want him too.

Ejiofor was considered for C, Andrew Scott's role - this was confirmed by P&W I believe in Some Kind of Her.
    They signed waltz in July 2014 and Seydoux in April 2014
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    antovolk wrote: »

Ejiofor was considered for C, Andrew Scott's role - this was confirmed by P&W I believe in Some Kind of Her.

Oh I’d have definitely gone for him there. I’m not keen on Scott, although I’d have to admit he’s probably better casting for a ‘cocky little shit’ than Ejiofor.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Shardlake wrote: »

Making the villain someone from Bond's childhood or early years was bad enough and shouldn't have been touched period.

Although, making it Blofeld will always be the worst crime the series has ever committed.

I kind of don’t mind the ‘cuckoo’ concept, but to make it work you’d need a character who’s from outside of Bond’s world. For him to be a super-terrorist and for it to just have happened that he’s ended up in the same line of work (more or less) as Bond is just a bit too silly.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote: »

I kind of don’t mind the ‘cuckoo’ concept, but to make it work you’d need a character who’s from outside of Bond’s world. For him to be a super-terrorist and for it to just have happened that he’s ended up in the same line of work (more or less) as Bond is just a bit too silly.

It all sounds incredibly contrived when you start to connect it with Bond's past. SF should have been as far as that was taken.

When you try factor things like someone from Bond's past the author of all your pain.

What dreadful line that was but no doubt whoever wrote thought it was inspired.

I'm all for trying new things with the character but this was momentous step too far.

So no I don't think the cuckoo thing could have ever worked credibly, when you start echoing the film franchise that made a mockery of you in the first place.

The spoof series that made it clear that Bond needed to approach things differently, that's when things should have been stopped.

I'll never understand how some can be so down on Skyfall yet think SPECTRE was OK.

I think this will go onto be the black sheep of the era, whereas QOS has moved on in its reputation. SP I think will continue to be ridiculed much like DAD of the previous era.

It's not just the cuckoo thing, outside the PTS the film has no thrill or suspense it is incredibly flat, nothing that really grabs you at all.

SF even with its fault has a sense of danger, SP completely lacks this. It is an incredibly troubled film, not just one thing but many.
    I'm really curious as to how Cary and the writers have approached NTTD; with Madeleine Swann returning, it's an obvious connection between the two films.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I would've rather have met an older Hannes Oberhauser, or focus the storyline on him without Ernst Stavro Blofeld being connected to him by blood.