Weekly Bond Poll: Round 59: secondary Bond girls & helicopter flights

Comments

BT3366 wrote: »
    Can I cheat or have a pardon and give a point to each?

I've long thought Frobe to be the best villain in the series - smart, arrogant, calculating, evil and looking non-threatening but immensely dangerous at once and an imaginative master plan. His verbal sparring with Bond is one of the series' highlights.

Davi is still vastly underrated as a villain, likely due to LTK's perception as one of the lesser films and a Miami Vice clone and he's merely a drug dealer. He's actually deeper than the numerous cookie-cutter megalomaniacs, and Davi's relationship with Dalton's Bond is a hell of a lot more interesting than Bond's to Blofeld, any variation of that character. That relationship is a highlight of LTK.

Although I still don't appreciate GF as much as I should, there's no denying it's full of iconic images and those two scenes are among the top. The golden girl is the focus of the entire marketing campaign. I can only imagine seeing that and the shock when it was released.

The laser table really hasn't got any right to work as well as it does. It's a Perils of Pauline cliffhanger, but Dehn, Maibaum, Hamilton, Connery and Frobe make it work better than it should.

It's a great example of Bond as a character not having a handy gadget to escape, but using his wits to survive. We don't see Bond's fear much and this adds to our concern for him as a character. It's top-notch suspense and also a chance for Frobe and Connery to shine. My vote for the best suspense scene in the series.

Unless the mods will allow my above suggestion, I'll have to go with Frobe and laser table.

You can have a pardon and you will get a point for all four, exceptionally. I like your thoughts, by the way.

Thanks, goldenswissroyale.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    A little late to the party here so I'll be brief : Goldfinger and the laser scene .
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Still two days to go.
    I enjoyed all your comments so far and you all have good arguments for your votes. Fröbe will win but it is nice to see that there are many Davi fans, too.
    The second question will be a close run.

My vote goes to Robert Davi: The movie profits a lot of his look and his performance. Goldfinger is the better and more iconic villain, while Davi is the perfect match for the role of Sanchez.

Golden Girl, although the laser scene is intense and another top scene.
    Results of round 5:

Gert Fröbe wins against Robert Davi: 15 : 10

The second one was very close! One vote more for the laser scene. Our golden girl lost against another iconic scene: 13: 12
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Good winners. I couldn t decide, but still glad they won.
    Good winners. I couldn t decide, but still glad they won.
    Rather Sanchez got it but hey ho.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,388
    Round 6:

A) Which ally do you prefer? Quarrel vs. Columbo

B) Which of the two related (and funny) scenes do you prefer? clay-pigeon shooting (TB) vs. pheasant shooting (MR)

Clay-pigeon shooting:
    Bond: "Seems terribly difficult" (He hits)… "No, it isn't, is it?"
    Largo: "No…"

Pheasant shooting:
    Bond: "I doubt if I'm in your class.
    Drax: "You're too modest Mr. Bond...Over there...You missed, Mr. Bond.
    Bond (after killing the assassin): "Did I?...As you said, such a good sport."

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Another difficult round where I cannot really decide, but if hard pressed to play...

Quarrel and clay-pigeon.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Quarrel

and

Pheasant shooting: I just like the joke
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 565
    I think I'll have the unpopular picks, but...
    Colombo and Pheasant
    The fear of the dragon ruins Quarrel for me. Colombo just has that friendly persona not unlike Mathis.

'Clay pigeon' is bad ass, but there's just a little more set up for 'pheasant' that gives it more weight. I love using Drax's own words against him. While 'clay pigeon' is utterly cool, it's Bond being cocky and showing off where MR also shows Bond outsmarting our villain.
    An easy one for me :
    Columbo.
    Watching Quarrel is sometimes uncomfortable,he is too much ‘the traditional black man’.

Pheasant shoot...Bond wasn’t arrogant or cocky,just showed Drax who he is messing with.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Columbo - I like his pistachios! Pretty boy!
    Pheasant shoot - it’s Moonraker, nuff said! Roger just couldn’t resist himself, and followed up with the horrific dogs of death.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Columbo - He is more independent than Quarrel, who just seems to be there to help Bond
    Pheasant shoot - more effective and funny than the original, which it paid hommage to.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Columbo
    Pheasant shoot
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Another great round. I'm going with...

Columbo. As likable as Quarrel is, I just feel that Columbo is the better character. A Bond ally in the same mould as Kerim Bey.

The Pheasant shoot. Whilst the clay pigeon shoot is very cool, Bond is not in danger. In MR Bond's life is in danger, and he clearly shows Drax he's not to be messed with. Great stuff.
    At the end of the day though, they're all great.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Quarrel, even though Columbo is great too.

Can’t decide the second one. Really can’t.
    Benny wrote: »

Columbo. As likable as Quarrel is, I just feel that Columbo is the better character. A Bond ally in the same mould as Kerim

Thanks. I would like to play Kerim but I think there is no match for him...
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Which one gave you the brighter smile the first time? ...Anyway, a tie is also fine.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    My gut goes with Quarrel-- I like him with Connery. It felt like an easy relationship between these two-- suspicion on both sides turned to a genuine friendship; makes Quarrel's murder that much more effective.

And easily Connery taking out the clay-pigeon...
    I'll take Columbo. He just seems more natural and the only real chance Moore's Bond got to play off a character like that. My problem with Quarrel is he goes from tough and mysterious to almost comical with bulging eyes out of a film from 30 years prior and the fear of the dragon, although it made his death more emotional. It could be argued Columbo is basically a Kerim Bey variant, but a successful one.

The second is a lot harder as I love both scenes that show why both Connery and Moore were the best when it came to antagonizing their foes, forming a back-and-forth banter that their successors didn't pick up nearly as well.

I like the clay pigeon scene just a little more since the Bond-Largo relationship has a little more at stake with Domino between them. And the dialogue is great that only enhances it, it's Connery at his best. The problem with the MR scene is despite everything he knows, Drax just lets Bond go away instead of making another attempt on him. He was already going to arrange a convenient accident, what's stopping him from completing it in another way since Bond will obviously report to M and continue his investigation?
    Bond in TB was in the same situation tbf
    barryt007 wrote: »

That's debatable. Largo invited Bond to lunch and knew his people knew Bond would be there and the scene originally included a tour of the Disco Volante that was cut with the intention to throw Bond off until they moved forward with the plan and not to kill him at Palmyra.

Drax was directly involved when trying to assassinate Bond.

That's debatable. Largo invited Bond to lunch and knew his people knew Bond would be there and the scene originally included a tour of the Disco Volante that was cut with the intention to throw Bond off until they moved forward with the plan and not to kill him at Palmyra.

Just put a bullet in Bonds head,job done.

Just put a bullet in Bonds head,job done.

Dr. Evil would disagree. :D
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Benny wrote: »

Columbo. As likable as Quarrel is, I just feel that Columbo is the better character. A Bond ally in the same mould as Kerim

Thanks. I would like to play Kerim but I think there is no match for him...
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Which one gave you the brighter smile the first time? ...Anyway, a tie is also fine.

Well, for the sake of picking one, I’ll go for TB.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 12,988
    Round 6:

A) Quarrel. Just a richer, more enjoyable character I cared about. Columbo was good, but he didn't rise to the level of Kerim Bey or Marc Ange Draco or René Mathis.

B) Clay-pigeon shooting. Equally enjoyable, stands up more to scrutiny.

Just one more thing (including @goldenswissroyale's correction): Columbo in the film, in Italian Colombo means dove. Or pigeon.
    Columbo-70369-3.png
    @RichardTheBruce I thought the same and checked the name: IMDB and even MI6 have him listed Peter Falk-style.
  • a) I'll have to Quarrel, a lot more friendlier and memorable than Colombo.
    b) Close one I like them both, but the pheasant shooting is one of the few things I like in MR, and it is quite a cool moment. I don't see why Drax needed to put someone in a tree to kill Bond but who cares it's a cool middle finger moment as compared to the plain old bad-assery that is in TB.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    @RichardTheBruce I thought the same and checked the name: IMDB and even MI6 have him listed Peter Falk-style.
    Doggonit you're right, @goldenswissroyale. That's how it appears on the end titles. Thanks for the correction.
    For-Your-Eyes-Only-1004.jpg
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    edited October 2019 Posts: 858
    Columbo and Pheasant shooting for me.
    Columbo strikes me as more of a true friend to Bond, and As utterly, utterly cool Sean is, it's a nice little nothing whereas Roger's scene actually "interacts" with the characters.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited October 2019 Posts: 7,314
    A) I have to go with Columbo, although Quarrel was certainly one of the better allies as well. As others have mentioned, Columbo seems to be Bond's friend, whereas Quarrel is more of an assistant. Topol gives such a great performance and plays him with such a spark. Quarrel is great too though. Tough choice.

B) Definitely going with the pheasant shoot. I enjoy the TB frivolities. Connery is such a badass here, but there's not much more to it than that. In MR, Bond's life is in danger and he has to think on his feet, without gadgets. The way Moore delivers the line is superb. Just really well done all around.