Does Spectre actually make any sense?

Comments

Some of these points about not looking too deep to enjoy something goes back to my feelings about GE's sacred cow status, and therefore some fans who love it get off-put and defensive when you point out it has flaws. I've picked out flaws in GF in other threads, an even more revered film in the series.

I just notice the flaws here and sometimes it's hard to not notice them as opposed to other films in the series. For example, Drax having built a space station without being noticed is way outrageous, but MR was meant to be outrageous all around, I mean there is a Bondola.

YOLT is full of outrageous moments I could nitpick to death. I always enjoy TND as my favorite Brosnan film because it's meant to be a standard avert WWIII entry with emphasis on action with a thankful lack of "this time it's personal" that works for me on that level.

Getafix mentioned so much of what I think about GE and since this is a thread about it not making sense and having problems then why is it not appropriate? If it's just love and praise you want to show, maybe the GE appreciation thread is the best place for that.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,372
    Getafix wrote: »
    Surely the flying into the plane sequence is one of the worst in film history. People bang on about the kite surfing in DAD but ignore the fact that the action in the Brosnan films was just awful from the very first PTS. Could add the helicopter flying on its side in TND and the dire hover skiing sequence in TWINE.

Surf scene aside, I absolutely love all these.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I think Goldeneye is the second worst Bond film, and even I think the entire PTS is awesome. Love the absurd dive into the plane.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Terrible film. Completely overrated.

Great film. Rightly held in high regard.

Agreed...do we really need to lower ourselves to playground squabbling ?

edited October 2019 Posts: 8,053
    barryt007 wrote: »

We never do. But some do it anyway.

Per the aim of the topic, while I do think GE is a great film, there are certain things about Alec's scheme that are a tad strange and have been pointed out here already. It's never been enough to take away from my enjoyment of the film, but it's not perfect by any means.

Per the aim of the topic, while I do think GE is a great film, there are certain things about Alec's scheme that are a tad strange and have been pointed out here already. It's never been enough to take away from my enjoyment of the film, but it's not perfect by any means.

I just see it as a great Bond film.
    They are not meant to be analysed,just enjoyed.

Nothing wrong with that! :)
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

But surely we all come on here to analyse the Bond films and novels. That's what makes us fans!
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,281
    I don't think GE does make any sense, but I don't think that is where the main faults lie with the movie. For me the issues are -

1) The soundtrack. I absolutely detest the Serra score, and think it is the worst in the franchise (yes, even worse then Newman).

2) I don't like the fact that too many scenes linger on away from Bond. The scene when Natalya is involved with the GE bunker bomb attack drags on for way too long. Its one of the faults I find with TB too, when the plane goes underwater with the bombs and drags the films pace down with such a lengthy scene away from Bond.

3) Brosnan looks great in the film (particularly the hair), but his performance is muddled and weak in parts (this issue I would find throughout his tenure). One minute he can play the tough guy fairly well, but then when he hams it up in pain with theatrical yells, or attempts at comical gestures, he starts to look weak as a character, and is not Bond anymore, but more Brozza.

4) I don't find Sean Bean particularly convincing as the main villain. He's not a patch on the likes of Robert Shaw, which is what I think EON were trying to go for with this part.

5) the tank scene is daft, OTT and dull.

6) there are no adapted Fleming scenes. Any of the Bond films that doesn't contain them loses a few points in my book.

Where the film does work is Campbell's direction, the new M (and the fact that she's kept to a minimum appearance - how it should be), the locations (Monaco in particular), and the fight at the end.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I've enjoyed this thread looking at an individual film's plot logic. These are three films so far I really dig as well - most of which are in my top ten in fact!

I notice that the original poster has been banned (as have a few of the naughty contributors to the thread) any chance an admin could change the title and move it onto a new Bond film so we could focus on a different 007 adventure and whether it 'makes sense'?

Cheers.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2019 Posts: 40,614
    That only requires mod approval, @Major_Boothroyd. I can do it, it's a great topic. What would you lot like to go over next? SP could be a good choice, detailing how much (or how little) Blofeld's overarching plot throughout the Craig era makes sense.

As for the topic at hand, as much as I love the film, it definitely doesn't make sense, both in terms of the PTS (did Alec and Ourumov have this planned beforehand or after? If so, was staging such a close execution really necessary? And why all the theatrics just to go silent for nine years until he opted to kick off his grand mission) and the objective itself, destroying England yet somehow finding a use for all of its currency that he plans to steal. One of those installments that plays out incredibly well but only if you sit back and try not to question it too much.
    Thanks @Creasy47 ! SP is a good shout...

I'd also like to reiterate that I really love all these films so I'm not bashing any of them by analysing the internal logic. SF and SP have been recently criticised so I'm aware of their issues, but I'd never thought about how little Alec's plan makes sense in GE - still enjoy the hell out of that movie! My favourite Brosnan by a stretch too.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2019 Posts: 40,614
    Thanks @Creasy47 ! SP is a good shout...

I'd also like to reiterate that I really love all these films so I'm not bashing any of them by analysing the internal logic. SF and SP have been recently criticised so I'm aware of their issues, but I'd never thought about how little Alec's plan makes sense in GE - still enjoy the hell out of that movie! My favourite Brosnan by a stretch too.

It's a fair point. People can always agree to disagree and it's easy to seem "nasty" or what have you when discussing why a given installment does or doesn't make sense, be it via plot or characterization or what have you, so that's always a great aside to make.

And sounds good, we'll now move the discussion to Does Spectre Make Any Sense?
    edited October 2019 Posts: 2,721
    So SP, here's how I read Blofeld's existence in the Craig era.

Blofeld becomes the leader of Spectre. One of his top generals is Mr White, leader of Quantum. White bank rolls Le Chiffre who is thwarted by Bond. White is captured by Bond in Quantum of Solace and then escapes. This maybe the first time since his childhood that Blofeld is made aware of his foster brother - James Bond? He then bank rolls Silva (still something I dislike about the retrofitting of SP into SF) and keeps an eye on silva's chaos, until his destruction and then the distant bell rung by the incident in Mexico...

So does Blofeld not really care about Bond until SP and Sciarra's death? Is it when he bank rolls Silva? Does Silva pitch his plan to kill M to Blofeld? Blofeld must be aware of Bond by SF and his closeness with Dench's M.

One option is Blofeld doesn't care about Bond at all, is happy to let him exist and let the chips fall where they may until Bond pokes his head in at the Spectre meeting. Yet from that point on he seems to want to kill Bond (via Hinx) all the way until he meets him at the crater base. Seems odd, but also seems like Blofeld doesn't actually care about him that much until Bond involves himself in the events of SP?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Of course it makes sense. SP was even able to make the SF plot kinda more believable.
  • SP has one of the most cookie cutter storylines in Bond franchise. Which is why it's so annoying that the movie is so long -- it can't justify that runtime.
    I'd guess that Silva, with his tech knowhow, could probably raise his own money. Blofeld says it was him all along, so he must have had some interest in Bond from CR onwards.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    None but maybe NTTD will help.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Remington wrote: »
    None but maybe NTTD will help.

Hopefully, but I doubt it.
    SP is a downright mess. Where to start? One of the worst part is the retconning to make the previous Craig Bond adversaries members of Spectre, which in the case of Silva is particularly unforgiveable. Le Chiffre and Green, fine, but Silva is such a stretch.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2019 Posts: 10,588
    I agree that it was careless to include Silva, but thankfully his involvement with the organization isn't elaborated on at all. Which means we can interpret his role within SPECTRE in any way we choose. I like to think they merely bankrolled Silva in order for him to carry out his plans.
    There’s also the possibility that Blofeld is a liar, that Silva was never anything to do with Spectre at all, and that Blofeld is messing with Bond’s head, just a part of his game.
    Trying to connect SPECTRE to the earlier Craig films i think was one of the biggest missteps in the series.

It makes no sense within the films or as a decision by the scriptwriters.

SP is one big car crash with regards to making any sense.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,343
    jake24 wrote: »
    I agree that it was careless to include Silva, but thankfully his involvement with the organization isn't elaborated on at all. Which means we can interpret his role within SPECTRE in any way we choose. I like to think they merely bankrolled Silva in order for him to carry out his plans.

Silva was chose by them. "All to the best bidder". SPECTRE needed to destabilize the MI6 in order to pave the way to the 9 Eyes Program and Blofeld hired Silva, an agent who seeked vengeance on M, giving him the resources to accomplish this plan while at the same time hurting Bond as a collateral damage, given his relationship with M. So Silva was a perfect match from both a business and "emotional" perspective.

I will never understand all this negativity towards a choice that basically made events of the past even more compelling. Never.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,372
    matt_u wrote: »
    I will never understand all this negativity towards a choice that basically made events of the past even more compelling. Never.

For me the choice of connecting past events ruined the previous films.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

Silva was chose by them. "All to the best bidder". SPECTRE needed to destabilize the MI6 in order to pave the way to the 9 Eyes Program and Blofeld hired Silva, an agent who seeked vengeance on M, giving him the resources to accomplish this plan while at the same time hurting Bond as a collateral damage, given his relationship with M. So Silva was a perfect match from both a business and "emotional" perspective.

Especially given that the first two in this series were already connected completely and also involved a secret organization.

Tying in Skyfall is admittedly less cut and dry, and I can understand some not liking it. That said, Silva was up to some very Spectresque stuff.

I'm not seeing anything here yet about how Spectre's it doesn't make sense though...
    Maybe they could have kept the organisation as Quantum right until a reveal at the end, and kept Silva out of it.

When SF was written the makers didn't even have the rights to use SPECTRE so your explanation that 'Silva was chosen by them' is complete hearsay.

SP was linked to the other films simply because the makers wanted to tie all the events together, i assume to make the SPECTRE organisation look super powerful. Instead it just made the film even more nonsensical.

SP had some very poor decisions made on the film IMO.
    How does M's Dench get to the point of knowing Sciarra's death will mean someone of significance will be at the funeral? Is this a hunch from M? I'm assuming she has investigated as far as Sciarra and knows nothing more about Spectre or Blofeld. Just that Sciarra is a terrorist and any one who shows up at his funeral will be worth checking out. Because if she has knowledge of spectre and/or Blofeld how did she become aware of it while her agents and department know nothing about it? If Sciarra is merely a bad guy, and nothing to do with Blofeld or Spectre and M doesn't know about his connection with Bond then why leave a secret message for Bond to be delivered to him in the event of her death?