Does Spectre actually make any sense?

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    @Tokoloshe I guess that's a good idea as it gives people thinking time, as they know what is coming up.

@vzok The thread won't change if the discussion is still clearly ongoing, no worries there.
    I do think though over the past few pages that your first point has been addressed.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,117
    vzok wrote: »

Bond is later sent after the ATAC. Why was there a hold up? Clearly if Bond was busy with Gonzalez someone could have looked for the ATAC.

When does this ever happen? Bond's last contact with MI6 is on the intercom to Tanner (or if you like with Luigi) but he is never told to hunt down the ATAC. He only goes to Greece after Cortina to follow up on the lead to Columbo from Kristatos at the ice rink.

He does this of his own accord to my mind and when he meets Q in the confessional shouldn't he be in the shit because it's his ineptitude in retrieving the ATAC on his own/not blowing it up there and then in the St Georges that has led it to fall into Kristatos's hands?
    GBF wrote: »
    especially since they thought that there were no notes

They 'thought' that there were no notes? Based on what exactly? Clearly not by doing even the most cursory search of the boat and finding Havelock's diary. It just didn't occur to them to search for the slightest clue that Havelock might be on to something? And these are the people safeguarding the nation's security?

Also once Havelock is dead the British don't send anyone else out to look for the ATAC at all (Bond finds it but wasn't ordered to by MI6 - see above). Is Havelock really the only person in the world who can conduct underwater searches? If so perhaps they might have done better if they'd left him with a bit more back up than an old woman, a girl with a bag of pistachios and a parrot?
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,026

Bond is later sent after the ATAC. Why was there a hold up? Clearly if Bond was busy with Gonzalez someone could have looked for the ATAC.

When does this ever happen? Bond's last contact with MI6 is on the intercom to Tanner (or if you like with Luigi) but he is never told to hunt down the ATAC. He only goes to Greece after Cortina to follow up on the lead to Columbo from Kristatos at the ice rink.

He does this of his own accord to my mind and when he meets Q in the confessional shouldn't he be in the shit because it's his ineptitude in retrieving the ATAC on his own/not blowing it up there and then in the St Georges that has led it to fall into Kristatos's hands?

They 'thought' that there were no notes? Based on what exactly? Clearly not by doing even the most cursory search of the boat and finding Havelock's diary. It just didn't occur to them to search for the slightest clue that Havelock might be on to something? And these are the people safeguarding the nation's security?

Also once Havelock is dead the British don't send anyone else out to look for the ATAC at all (Bond finds it but wasn't ordered to by MI6 - see above). Is Havelock really the only person in the world who can conduct underwater searches? If so perhaps they might have done better if they'd left him with a bit more back up than an old woman, a girl with a bag of pistachios and a parrot?

I was just trying to reiterate what had been said on here so far, to see if I could get my head round this bit of the plot. I still don't get what MI6 were going to do about the ATAC.

The ATAC is a MacGuffin, and Hitchcock always thought that they were something for characters to chase after to kick start the film. I guess this is why they can get forgotten or sidelined.
  • GBFGBF
    edited August 2016 Posts: 3,195

I was just trying to reiterate what had been said on here so far, to see if I could get my head round this bit of the plot. I still don't get what MI6 were going to do about the ATAC.

The ATAC is a MacGuffin, and Hitchcock always thought that they were something for characters to chase after to kick start the film. I guess this is why they can get forgotten or sidelined.

I agree that the ATAC is a perfect example for a MacGuffin since no one even knows what the ATAC really is and how it works. All we need to know is that it is a very important device that should not fall in the wrong hands.

@WizardofIce

Keep in mind that the mission was Top secret. They cannot just send some agents there to get the ATAC out of the water. They need sepcific equipment to locate it and then raise it. You also need a good cover that allows you to operate secretely. In this regard FYEO was actually pretty close to real espionage.

MI6's original plan was to locate and probably raise the ATAC. However, they were not allowed to operate there officially. How should they do that and with what kind of justification? The St. George was secretely spying in Abanian waters. It would have been a disaster for MI6 if anyone got to know about it and that it had such a specific devise on board.

As they could not start an official investigation, they asked Haveloc who as a acknowledged scientist living there for years had a perfect cover. At that point in time they did not even know if the Russians or anyone else had any information about the ATAC. After the death of the Havelocs MI6 realised that their initial plan had failed and that they were not the only ones to know about the ATAC.
    It would have been too risky to just repeat the mission with another random scientist who by the way also may lead the enemies to the ATAC in case he finds the St. George.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

It's no surprise that the ATAC causes something of a plot anomaly, as it is only a McGuffin to weave the adapted short stories, 'FYEO and 'Risico' into a single story for film purposes.

I agree that the ATAC is a perfect example for a MacGuffin since no one even knows what the ATAC really is and how it works. All we need to know is that it is a very important device that should not fall in the wrong hands.

@WizardofIce

Keep in mind that the mission was Top secret. They cannot just send some agents there to get the ATAC out of the water. They need sepcific equipment to locate it and then raise it. You also need a good cover that allows you to operate secretely. In this regard FYEO was actually pretty close to real espionage.

MI6's original plan was to locate and probably raise the ATAC. However, they were not allowed to operate there officially. How should they do that and with what kind of justification? The St. George was secretely spying in Abanian waters. It would have been a disaster for MI6 if anyone got to know about it and that it had such a specific devise on board.

As they could not start an official investigation, they asked Haveloc who as a acknowledged scientist living there for years had a perfect cover. At that point in time they did not even know if the Russians or anyone else had any information about the ATAC. After the death of the Havelocs MI6 realised that their initial plan had failed and that they were not the only ones to know about the ATAC.
    It would have been too risky to just repeat the mission with another random scientist who by the way also may lead the enemies to the ATAC in case he finds the St. George.

That's the clearest explanation I've seen. Thanks.
    The Saint George was a disguised spyship with precious cargo that went down near the Albanian coast which was in those days a serious no-go area unless you wanted to provoke a war. They did not know exactly where the ship was lying, pre-GPS days, and Melina's father was essentially send to have a look to find out if he could find the vessel. The British navy actually thought that the ATAC has been destroyed by the self destruction handle.
    When the men who was sideways working for MI6 was killed they naturally curious as to way the killing which was why 007 was send to investigate the killer. And next his paymaster.
    Melina and 007 only found out the whereabouts of the St George when the discovered the coded writings of her father who had seen a boat with serious diving gear near a certain spot. they then went looking for the boat.

The first part of the movie was actually 007 detecting why Havelock was killed and by whom. Only then we get to the ATAC and the race to keep it out of the hands of Gogol.

This story is brilliant when compared to the QoS & Craig and Mendes movies which were poorly written and executed (blame Forster and Mendes).
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well that was a pretty interesting dissection of Sir Roger's most grounded Bond film.

You can carry on discussing it if you so desire, but in the mean time it feels pertinent to delve into the riches on offer from the original Bond movie. Dr No burst onto our screens in 1962 and the action/adventure genre had been reinvented overnight.

Based on Ian Fleming's novel it's hard to discuss any of those early movies so closely associated with the great man's work and be anything but humble and appreciative, but at the end of the day we simply must ask the question...

Does DR NO actually make any sense?
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I don't understand why they didn't make the murder and disappearance of Strangways and his secretary look like an accident especially if Spectre knew he was an enemy agent? Also - Strangways didn't convey any of his suspicions to his superiors? His death would draw heat from Britain - Dr No knew this - hence trying to make Bond's death look spider inflicted, then road accident - so why try to shoot him in front of people outside his hotel? These don't make an awful lot off sense. Aside from that - the rest seems reasonable - except for the actual way that Dr No funded his operation - an operation that it wasn't obvious how it was yielding funds or clear results? It was revenge - of the most arbitrary kind.
  • GBFGBF
    @Major_Boothroyd

I agree on your points. I am also not really sure why Bond actually kills Dent. I mean would it not have been better to arrest him and get further information baout Dr. No from him? He could have also used him as an opportunity to enter Crab Key. Of course the kill is great but it seems a bit unnecessary to me.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    @Major_Boothroyd

I agree on your points. I am also not really sure why Bond actually kills Dent. I mean would it not have been better to arrest him and get further information baout Dr. No from him? He could have also used him as an opportunity to enter Crab Key. Of course the kill is great but it seems a bit unnecessary to me.

True, but he would probably just kill himself a la Mr Jones.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    except for the actual way that Dr No funded his operation - an operation that it wasn't obvious how it was yielding funds or clear results? It was revenge - of the most arbitrary kind.

I thought Spectre funded him
  • GBFGBF
    @Major_Boothroyd

True, but he would probably just kill himself a la Mr Jones.

Yes I thought so too. Maybe one could have just made the kill a bit more feasible.But I also have no solution at the moment. It is certainly not a big issue that I am holding against the film.
    w2bond wrote: »
    except for the actual way that Dr No funded his operation - an operation that it wasn't obvious how it was yielding funds or clear results? It was revenge - of the most arbitrary kind.

I thought Spectre funded him

I'm presuming that the Russians or Chinese are paying SPECTRE to take down the US rockets?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    NicNac wrote: »
    Bibi adds to the depth of the film without necessarily adding to the plot.

Isn't it famously said that nothing in Raiders Of the Lost Ark would have happened differently plot-wise if Indiana Jones had been taken out of the film?
    Er, didn't Indy find the Ark.....and weren't the Nazi's digging in the wrong place..?

What Hitler and the U.S. governement cared about was finding the ark; had Hitler found it he would have felt invincible (not necessary because he would have used it, but as a symbol of power - it was Belloq who wanted to open it, not the nazis, and this is clearly stated in the movie) and would have started WW2 in 1936.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    @Major_Boothroyd

It is also very un-Bondian, since Fleming's Bond hates cold-blood kills.
    Regarding Dr No's murder of Strangways and Tess Trueblood I think it can be rationalised: No uses violence to clear what he perceives an immediate threat. It does trigger an investigation from MI6, but the investigation would have come eventually and anyway that is how he operates. It made perfect sense regarding the villain's psyche: ruthless, eager to use lethal force to both eliminate danger and intimidate those in the known, etc. Yes it's a mistake on the long run. But why wouldn't an overconfident criminal made such mistake.

Regarding Dent's killing: I doubt the Professor had much to give Bond and as I think after being the target of many assassination attempts Bond felt vindictive. A reckless action maybe but in line with his state of mind at the time. Why wouldn't Bond make mistakes sometimes?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Regarding Dr No's murder of Strangways and Tess Trueblood

Who?

Ludovico wrote: »
    Regarding Dr No's murder of Strangways and Tess Trueblood

Who?

Sorry Mary. No idea why I thought Tess.
    I don't understand why they didn't make the murder and disappearance of Strangways and his secretary look like an accident especially if Spectre knew he was an enemy agent? Also - Strangways didn't convey any of his suspicions to his superiors? His death would draw heat from Britain - Dr No knew this - hence trying to make Bond's death look spider inflicted, then road accident - so why try to shoot him in front of people outside his hotel? These don't make an awful lot off sense. Aside from that - the rest seems reasonable - except for the actual way that Dr No funded his operation - an operation that it wasn't obvious how it was yielding funds or clear results? It was revenge - of the most arbitrary kind.

You can partly explain the attempts on Bond - Dr No tries to make them appear accidental, but then when they fail (I will not tolerate that) he just wants Bond killed fast. But that doesn't make much sense when didn't cover up the first 2 kills.

Spectre wanted the toppling to happen, so must have paid, but usually someone pays them to do that sort of thing (as in YOLT), but there is no sign of that here. Still makes sense, even if everything isn't spelt out.

Probably because of theat :

latest?cb=20101001120346

Or that :

latest?cb=20120513192333

Now, back to the movie : notice that, when Bond comes back to the Carribeans, no mention is made of the fallout of Dr. No's headquarters' destruction ? Granted, it was only a small nuclear reactor, not Chernobyl, but still....
    Regarding the disappearance of Strangways wouldn't that be considered accident until we know further? MI6 suspect possible foul play but they only suspect it. Professor Dent is also eager to give a potentially very good reason for their disappearance: "cherchez la femme".
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 5,767
    I think because FYEO is an adaptation of two short stories (FYEO and Risico) it doesn't always gel, but it wasn't a bad attempt by the writers to merge two completely different stories using the ATAC McGuffin.

Still my favourite Rog film!
    In my unprofessional opinion Fleming´s two short story collections should each have been woven into one big story. They always feel to me as if Fleming had the bits and didn´t know how to put them together and then let them be as short stories.

@Major_Boothroyd

Walecs wrote: »
    It is also very un-Bondian, since Fleming's Bond hates cold-blood kills.
    Rather than calling it un-Bondian I would suggest that the filmmakers had a Bond character in mind that somewhat deviates from the literary character. Literary Bond would never ever have made a quip such as, "Make sure he doesn´t get away." And especially in Dr. No, Bond is portrayed as a bit unpatient, and his reply when offered a place in SPECTRE suggests that he is to some degree prone to the urge for vengeance. Thus, Bond killing Dent fits in.

• edited August 2016 Posts: 2,341
    This tread was supposed to be about DN and don't we all just love it when these treads take on a life of their own. I've seen comments on FYEO which I am okay with, I have a problem with: YOLT
    that plot is so fanstastikical and full of holes.

1. The UK was such a minor player on the world stage and would not be referring a talk between USA and USSR
    2. No way that space capsule could have been launched and then re enter the atmosphere without US or Soviet spy satellites picking it up and finding out in short fashion that it come from Japan...
    3. WFT did SPECTRE get the resources to mount such an operation following the losses in the previous film?
    4. Addendum to 3 above: the costs in material, personnel in building the volcano hideaway could not be done without someone from Japanese authorities to Soviet and American spy satellites would have known something was going on in that area long before Blofeld completed construction.

All in all the movie is just as fantastical as MR or DAD.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    This tread was supposed to be about DN and don't we all just love it when these treads take on a life of their own. I've seen comments on FYEO which I am okay with, I have a problem with: YOLT
    that plot is so fanstastikical and full of holes.

1. The UK was such a minor player on the world stage and would not be referring a talk between USA and USSR
    2. No way that space capsule could have been launched and then re enter the atmosphere without US or Soviet spy satellites picking it up and finding out in short fashion that it come from Japan...
    3. WFT did SPECTRE get the resources to mount such an operation following the losses in the previous film?
    4. Addendum to 3 above: the costs in material, personnel in building the volcano hideaway could not be done without someone from Japanese authorities to Soviet and American spy satellites would have known something was going on in that area long before Blofeld completed construction.

All in all the movie is just as fantastical as MR or DAD.

By now we have arrived at the Doctor NO, so keep the good stuff until we get there.
    Sorry guys...

In regard to DN, they could not just say Strangeways had run off as Mi6 had the attempted transmission and that is what set off the bells and whistles. M was going to send an agent to look into this right away.

The bad guys could have cleaned up the mess after they killed her and attempted make it look like she had run off by packing a bag, making flight reservations but there was always the issue of the radio going dark...
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Sorry guys...

In regard to DN, they could not just say Strangeways had run off as Mi6 had the attempted transmission and that is what set off the bells and whistles. M was going to send an agent to look into this right away.

The bad guys could have cleaned up the mess after they killed her and attempted make it look like she had run off by packing a bag, making flight reservations but there was always the issue of the radio going dark...
    They could have intended to kill Strangways and the lady before the radio call was initiated. Since that was a reliable time Strangways would be at a certain place, the general timing would fit. Mediocre hitmen who mess up the time could still be more preferable to Dr. No than professionals, because he might be of the opinion that laymen are easier to get rid of, while he would take care that the official investigation would go nowhere. Of course he couldn´t know that MI6 would send such a brilliant agent as James Bond ;-).

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It's a great discussion thread and idea.

Personally I don't care if a plot makes sense as long as you can follow it and the movie is fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.

That has worked for 23 Bond movies.

Only Skyfall failed because it's the only Bond movie where fun and entertainment was replace with dreary drama and too much seriousness.

As for Dr. No:

I never had the slightest problem with that plot. It's simple and it makes sense for me.
    Who is that random guy who comes to the casino looking for Bond?

Presumably works for MI6 and has no discernible personality or impact on the story.

Are we seeing a prototype for Rory Kinnear's Tanner here?
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 19,339
    Who is that random guy who comes to the casino looking for Bond?

Presumably works for MI6 and has no discernible personality or impact on the story.

Are we seeing a prototype for Rory Kinnear's Tanner here?

Who knows,MI6 yep,but he was one pompous pratt wasnt he ?