The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Well it does give a whole new series of opportunities for Bond. French villains, revangist civil servants from Brussels....

After Joseph Wiseman as Doctor No... Angela Merkel as Madame Non? ;)

Freulein Nein actually works.....

If anything, it should be Frau Nein. She's married. And, oh yes, Frau Dr. Nein in fact. But I suppose le docteur Macron is a more likely candidate, really.

I'm on record here as predicting the title of Anthony Horowitz's second Bond novel as Frau De'ath. I got that one wrong...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Well it does give a whole new series of opportunities for Bond. French villains, revangist civil servants from Brussels....

If anything, it should be Frau Nein. She's married. And, oh yes, Frau Dr. Nein in fact. But I suppose le docteur Macron is a more likely candidate, really.

I'm on record here as predicting the title of Anthony Horowitz's second Bond novel as Frau De'ath. I got that one wrong...

Is that like "Castle De'ath" in what I think was the fourth season of The Avengers? I mean the REAL Avengers, not the superhero stuff.

Is that like "Castle De'ath" in what I think was the fourth season of The Avengers? I mean the REAL Avengers, not the superhero stuff.

Yep, saw that one years ago. Gordon Jackson was in it, I recall. De'ath is actually a real surname too. I recall a letter written into The Times where a man revealed his son, a GP, was actually named Dr De'ath! I think it'd make a good Bond villain name, though it may be a tad too obvious!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Yep, saw that one years ago. Gordon Jackson was in it, I recall. De'ath is actually a real surname too. I recall a letter written into The Times where a man revealed his son, a GP, was actually named Dr De'ath! I think it'd make a good Bond villain name, though it may be a tad too obvious!
    In fact, Gordon Jackson was. I actually only remembered the episode title. (cf. theavengers.tv/forever/peel1-5.htm

And why is this on the Brexit discussion thread? I had meant to stay clear of that.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Nah, that's her front, she's not really married, and deep inside she was working for a communist resurgence, as the new Stalin. She's got the real Klebb-shoes as well.

Or Boris Johnson is the evil genius, but I've come tired of all the traitors within MI6 and other government positions of the Craig era.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 17,899

In fact, Gordon Jackson was. I actually only remembered the episode title. (cf. theavengers.tv/forever/peel1-5.htm

And why is this on the Brexit discussion thread? I had meant to stay clear of that.

I dunno. We kind of segued into a discussion of Bond villain names! Still, it's more entertaining than Brexit...
    Merkel will come to be regarded as a true legend in modern European politics. Johnson will be an embarrassing footnote.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Le Carre on Brexit.

“It is my considered opinion,” one of the characters declares to Nat, “that for Britain and Europe, and for liberal democracy across the entire world as a whole, Britain’s departure from the European Union in the time of Donald Trump, and Britain’s consequent unqualified dependence on the United States in an era when the US is heading straight down the road to institutional racism and neo-fascism, is an unmitigated clusterf bar none.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/oct/11/john-le-carre-truth-was-what-you-got-away-with
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Getafix wrote: »
    Le Carre on Brexit.

“It is my considered opinion,” one of the characters declares to Nat, “that for Britain and Europe, and for liberal democracy across the entire world as a whole, Britain’s departure from the European Union in the time of Donald Trump, and Britain’s consequent unqualified dependence on the United States in an era when the US is heading straight down the road to institutional racism and neo-fascism, is an unmitigated clusterf bar none.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/oct/11/john-le-carre-truth-was-what-you-got-away-with

Another voice of reason. Britain has chosen the wrong friends, while also choosing leadership--symbolic or otherwise--from a bunch of class A bullies with interests perpendicular to those communicated to the people.

But it matters little. Many leavers are so convinced they have chosen the right path, they'll just have to feel the mess they were plunged in by cheap demagogues to realise this epic and historical mistake.
    Just saw something funny while channel-surfing. Ready ? Here goes :

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-news-brexit-free-new-pop-up-channel-to-launch-tomorrow-at-5pm-11835610

Yep, seems the british public is getting tired of this whole farce, to the point Sky News is launching a new channel, with nothing Brexit-related on.
    I wonder what Brexit headline I will wake up too tomorrow morning?
    RogueAgent wrote: »

The interesting part is probably which Brexit headline you'll wake up to on the 1st of November...
    RogueAgent wrote: »

The interesting part is probably which Brexit headline you'll wake up to on the 1st of November...

True, but all I am hearing is that tonight a legal text must be agreed by midnight tonight?
    I'm riveted to my sofa. But I'm going to bed instead nevertheless.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 17,899
    Gerard wrote: »
    Just saw something funny while channel-surfing. Ready ? Here goes :

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-news-brexit-free-new-pop-up-channel-to-launch-tomorrow-at-5pm-11835610

Yep, seems the british public is getting tired of this whole farce, to the point Sky News is launching a new channel, with nothing Brexit-related on.

The Daily Star has already thought of this idea, not that that means very much of course as they're a celebrity obsessed newspaper. I don't read it by the way but have seen the "Brexit free zone" tag on the newspaper at work.

And you're right that the British public is indeed tired of this whole sorry farce. One can't really overstate how fed up people are by this stage in the proceedings. People now just want it done and dusted so that we can move on to other pressing matters of which there are many.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Boris Johnson arrives in Brussels today for the final EU summit before Brexit deadline day. Hoping to negotiate his new proposed Brexit deal, the DUP has announced it rejects the deal. Johnson is thus negotiating a final deal with the EU that the UK parliament is going to vote down.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50077760
    I voted Remain but think we now need to get Brexit done and leave on Oct 31st, deal or no deal. Dragging this on and on, delay after delay will only make the country in a worst state than its already in. The uncertainty is now what is killing the country the most, as investors won't do anything until they know what course the UK is taking.

I also think the scaremongering about leaving with no deal is not going to be as bad as predicted. It's been created by the Remain elite who don't want to accept the result of the referendum, working in conjunction with the EU who don't want us to leave either, in case it kick-starts the collapse of the EU.

I'm sure it won't go smoothly if we leave with no deal, but once the politicians move aside and start letting things happen, business somehow find a way. We adapt and move forward, like we've always done.
    Funny. I voted remain but was resigned to us leaving. However I now think leaving looks more and more unlikely. Boris has demonstrated that there is no good deal. In every scenario the UK comes out of Brexit worse off. It has to go back to a second referendum. If the people vote for Boris's deal then so be it, but what is now being offered is so far removed what Lying Boris promised that it would be an outrage if the people didn't have a final say.
    Funny. I voted remain but was resigned to us leaving. However I now think leaving looks more and more unlikely. Boris has demonstrated that there is no good deal. In every scenario the UK comes out of Brexit worse off. It has to go back to a second referendum. If the people vote for Boris's deal then so be it, but what is now being offered is so far removed what Lying Boris promised that it would be an outrage if the people didn't have a final say.

I don't think a second referendum is likely, mainly because of the prolonged paralysis to the country (another 9 months away at least), and then the potential fallout afterwards.

If Leave win again, then Parliament and the elite will still do its upmost to block it, as they don't want to leave. If Remain win, then Leave will want a best of three. That won't be the end of this, as Leavers won't take that result lying down, as the first result wasn't respected and implemented.

Because we live in a democracy, somehow Brexit has to be seen to be implemented for the survival of the UK. I think that is what is more at stake, than us leaving the EU with or without a deal.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    A new Brexit deal has been agreed between the UK and the EU.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50079385
    Game on !
    edited October 2019 Posts: 15,696
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Game on !

Sadly it seems likely the UK Parliament will vote the deal down, as the DUP made it clear it won't support this deal. Johnson will struggle hard to find a majority without the DUP.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Game on !

Sadly it seems likely the UK Parliament will vote the deal down, as the DUP made it clear it won't support this deal. Johnson will struggle hard to find a majority without the DUP.

Yes I just read your link....its going to be interesting for sure.
    Now its gone from an EU battle to a domestic battle,especially with Northern Ireland as well.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 11,425

I don't think a second referendum is likely, mainly because of the prolonged paralysis to the country (another 9 months away at least), and then the potential fallout afterwards.

If Leave win again, then Parliament and the elite will still do its upmost to block it, as they don't want to leave. If Remain win, then Leave will want a best of three. That won't be the end of this, as Leavers won't take that result lying down, as the first result wasn't respected and implemented.

Because we live in a democracy, somehow Brexit has to be seen to be implemented for the survival of the UK. I think that is what is more at stake, than us leaving the EU with or without a deal.

Brexit = the end of the UK anyway.
    Scotland likely to vote for independence and Irish reunification looking more and more likely.

Little old England and Wales will be left looking like billy no mates.

Whatever happens its a colossal mess. Anyone who thinks Boris passing his deal means the end of this nightmare is sadly deluded. This is just the withdrawal agreement. Then start the negotiations on the future relationship with the EU and decades of trying to patch together our wrecked global trading relationships.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 19,339

Brexit = the end of the UK anyway.
    Scotland likely to vote for independence and Irish reunification looking more and more likely.

Little old England and Wales will be left looking like billy no mates.

I don't think we will be getting Irish reunification any time soon for sure.
    As for Scotland,they are always threatening independence and themselves when the time comes.
    And even if they do,it's no big loss.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2019 Posts: 13,912
    Scotland holds a referendum on independace in 2014.
    The UK decides to withdraw from the EU in 2016.

Brexit is the reason Scotland want independance? Do you want to tell William Wallace, or shall I?

As for Wales, as someone that thinks of themself as both Welsh and British, I am against Welsh independace.
    I can see Parliament blocking this again!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    You Brexiteers will be only happy when we are little old England, the laughingstock of the world and totally insignificant.

I heard some bloke saying on the TV in some pub where Farage was stinking up the air with his farts, going on about wanting the Empire back. Seriously the the level of thickness amongst some people that voted to leave is beyond me.

If Parliament doesn't vote this through on Saturday, I really hope the EU tell us to do one and don't grant us an extension, forcing us to leave with no deal. It's nothing less than that shower in Parliament deserve.
    If Parliament doesn't vote this through on Saturday, I really hope the EU tell us to do one and don't grant us an extension, forcing us to leave with no deal. It's nothing less than that shower in Parliament deserve.

Except that all the resulting downsides will hit real people struggling to make ends meet and not those nits.
This discussion has been closed.