The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    edited October 2019 Posts: 858
    Took a break as to refill drinks and walk the dog. Moving on:
    I cannot praise Ken Adam, John Barry and Michael Lonsdale enough. All three of them shoot Moonraker to the next level. (pun intended)
    Drax's speech while short is good, there's still some Novel- Von Den Drache in the character.
    The indifference with which Bond rips out the cable under the desk always cracks me up.
    I like the idea of Bond turning one of Drax' own against him, but not Jaws. I think he should have stayed in TSWLM.
    Oh, how I long for another "Villain's lair being raided by the good guys" scene in a Bond film...
    "Where's Drax?
    - Oh, he had to Fly."

Now this might be the alcohol talking, but I think Drax's body or parts of his space station on a collision course with earth is a missed AVTAK plot opportunity.
    Jaws doing a complete 180 in terms of character is just weird, but my girlfriend loved that he survived, so.

Oh no, the auto aim fails, oh no, Bond has only one shot left, aaaaand its done, time for some space rumpypumpy.

Q making one of the most brilliantly stupid one-liners of the series.

Closing thoughts:
    - Every composer should demand that their main theme be disco-fied for the end credits.

- Not a good spy movie as such, but this movie just screams fun and excitement. Every pound is on screen in terms of set pieces, locations and music. Roger is amazing, Lonsdale is one of my favourite characters ever, and apart from being "very easy on the eye" as Sir Rog would say, Chiles as Goodhead is a very capable and intelligent woman indeed. If only more people would see that and get off the Moonraker ridicule bandwagon.

I had another blast, I don't think it's possible for me to dislike this film.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    When Bond leaves Corinne Dufor for the night and says "Take care of yourself" and she responds "and you" before walking away, Moore gives her a look that almost says 'you are doomed'. Almost like Bond knows his actions to gain progress in his mission are causing unintended harm that he has to live with.

Yes MR can be a campy romp, but don't doubt that there aren't serious moments peppered throughout the flight.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    barryt007 wrote: »
    MartinBond wrote: »
    The gondola chase is indefensible, but just pure fun to me in all its ridiculousness.

Bond does some serious snooping in this film. First in Drax' estate, now in Venini Glass. Wonderful fight scene with Chang.

Lois Chiles looks wonderful in this film, natural beauty.

The Bondola does so much damage to the film ,cut that out and just have Bond walk across the square would improve the film 70%

Whenever i watch my Bluray i miss the Gondola scene out. Skip to next chapter and you go from Bond's chat with Holly to Bond turning up at the glass factory in the evening. It's pretty seamless and misses out the ridiculous farce.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The gondola chase is indefensible, but just pure fun to me in all its ridiculousness.

Bond does some serious snooping in this film. First in Drax' estate, now in Venini Glass. Wonderful fight scene with Chang.

Lois Chiles looks wonderful in this film, natural beauty.

The Bondola does so much damage to the film ,cut that out and just have Bond walk across the square would improve the film 70%

Whenever i watch my Bluray i miss the Gondola scene out. Skip to next chapter and you go from Bond's chat with Holly to Bond turning up at the glass factory in the evening. It's pretty seamless and misses out the ridiculous farce.

I bet that makes a great difference as well.
    When Bond leaves Corinne Dufor for the night and says "Take care of yourself" and she responds "and you" before walking away, Moore gives her a look that almost says 'you are doomed'. Almost like Bond knows his actions to gain progress in his mission are causing unintended harm that he has to live with.

Yes MR can be a campy romp, but don't doubt that there aren't serious moments peppered throughout the flight.

Yes I see that as well .
    MR had the potential to be a brilliant Bond film ,lots of spying and some nasty moments (Corinne death,the death of the scientists etc).

Shame .
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    "Where's Drax?
    - Oh, he had to Fly."

Now this might be the alcohol talking, but I think Drax's body or parts of his space station on a collision course with earth is a missed AVTAK plot opportunity.

The body of Drax plummeting through Zorin s blimp, saving the day.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Bought the recent 4K Fire stick today, it streams Bond better than my 4K TV interface the HDR is good to an extent though watching TSWLM the picture is duller than my BOND50 Bluray box set. The image of TSWLM pops more on my 4K Roku stick and Xbox One X, though this new Fire stick gives me quicker access to my digital Bond films in that sense its good. Watching the Lotus scene this is pure Bond, one of the best sequences in the entire series.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    'All those feathers and he still can't fly'
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,102
    'Do you ever get the feeling someone does not like you' this is one of Sir Roger's best, top three
    This film is awesome, Sir Roger will always be my second favorite Bond after Sir Sean. Sir Roger is bloody brilliant
    Sir Roger is bloody brilliant

Amen.
    Time for Roger on his 92nd birthday...............

A VIEW TO A KILL

Love the opening shot as the iris expands. I think this is great PTS thanks to John Barry.

California Girls..............everyone sing along...........

nah, never mind. That scene was almost funny.

There was a heck of a crowd on the piste.

Happy birthday, Roger. We miss you.

We could DO with a couple of glasses...........

Call me JAMES. 5 days to Alaska.........................
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    ToTheRight wrote: »

A VIEW TO A KILL

Love the opening shot as the iris expands. I think this is great PTS thanks to John Barry.

That scene in the fake iceberg is excruciating. Moore looks old enough to be her grandfather!!!
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 15,785
    Great Bond song to jam to. Hope NTTD has some kick to it.

We really need something iconic that everyone will remember for the rest of their lives.

TSWLM era Roger appears in the titles.

Alan Hume is my favorite Roger cinematographer.

A Phoenix for the Flame.

M's office looks good in this film.

"What about ZORIN himself?"

Only 12 minutes in and Bond has solved the entire microchip mystery.
    The taxi chase is pretty funny, actually. Not as over the top as , say the gondola bit.

Bond gets arrested and M bails him out.

I think Roger looks good in this film. He's every bit Roger/Bond.

St John Smythe. I should use that as an alias. That's a great phony name.
    I love how he corrects everyone's pronunciation. LOL.
    Oh my lord, Tibbett. Look at the state of my clothes!

Obsequious.

Great word.
    The steeple chase bit. Always liked this scene. Roger shows real disdain for Zorin.
    Bond in peril. I love Bond breathing air from the tires. MacGyver would be proud.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

A VIEW TO A KILL

That scene in the fake iceberg is excruciating. Moore looks old enough to be her grandfather!!!

Bond gets older.........they stay the same age.

Yes they do.
    Anthony Chinn falls to his untimely demise. As a kid I always enjoyed scenes where someone falls to their death from a great height. Must be all those Road Runner cartoons.

Chuck Lee, CIA.

I GO FIRST, INDY!!!!!!!!!!

I think that is actually Maud in the background with her doctor boyfriend.

Bond underwater.............

HURRY UP G****MMIT!
    POLA IVANOVA!

JAAAAAAAAAMES BOND.

Bond with a past girlfriend.

This theme would be elaborated on in TND.

I must say, that Roger and Fiona Fullerton have wonderful chemistry here.
    Stacey gets fired and Bond says "Eff him! Life is short."

Chuck Lee is killed...........

I GO FIRST, INDY!!!

Okay. That joke is getting old now.

Howe gets shot.

Walken is a great villain.

Roger Ebert loathed this one so much he thought the series should expire after Roger Moore. Siskel's main problem was with Roger's Bond portrayal. Yet he liked FYEO and OP.
    SWING ME BACK!

Controversial opinion:

I admit................................

I like the fire truck chase.

Bond in disguise as a Zorin mine employee.
    Reminds me of that DIFF'RENT STROKES episode when Philip Drummond went undercover as a blue collar factory worker to prove he wasn't a stuck up tycoon.
    Bond and Stacey are caught. Game on.

Bond looks really cool in the Zorin jacket. I'd love to find a jacket similar to that. Great color.
    Here we go.................Zorin starts killing everyone.

He laughs about it as he goes on a massacre. My mom really was uncomfortable with this scene.

It is pretty violent for a Roger film.

My mom liked LTK, though.