The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Lotus..... Classic stuff!
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    It’s hard to know which one is the most beautiful - Anya, Naomi or the Lotus! Enjoy!
    It’s hard to know which one is the most beautiful - Anya, Naomi or the Lotus! Enjoy!

It is a dilemma 😁
    Broccoli certainly spared no expense with this one. A huge climax!
    Sir Rog on a wet bike and the Bond theme... 👍
    What the hell was that giant magnet used for?!!!
    Barbara Bach looks terrified when that water hits her 😆
    Have really enjoyed watching the first 3 Moore Bonds again. He was so underrated.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    @LeonardPine I just find them great fun watches, just kick back and enjoy. Moonraker next?
    I may pop in a Bond film tomorrow to celebrate Global Bond Day. Generally though I’ll be trying to keep the films unwatched until a traditional marathon next year leading up to NTTD.
    @LeonardPine I just find them great fun watches, just kick back and enjoy. Moonraker next?

@Max_The_Parrot Definitely mabey!
    I chose Dr. No for my Global Bond Day film! I was originally going to watch SF, but my mood switched to DN.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Good choice @FoxRox . I watched DN a few weeks back so I instead popped in GF.
    At the scene with Goldfinger and the mobsters. I love when the floor moves and one of the mobsters says 'what is this a merry go round???'. Has the guy ever seen a merry go round?

Quite enjoying this viewing! Happy James Bond day all!
    One of my favorite lines: "Nobody died from my cooking - yet."
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Love me some Puss Feller. Very underrated minor character!

Agreed. DN has a lot of my favorite characters, minor and major.

Agreed. DN has a lot of my favorite characters, minor and major.

Even the most minor of characters in DN are quite fun like Count Prince Miller, the very exuberant club dancer, during the Jump Up scene.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I’ve always thought that Barbara Bach looks like a little boy when filmed next to Caroline Munro.

Well Barbara was wearing that silly hat that did her no favours...! Caroline Munro is quite breathtaking in Spy though....
    I've been MIA on this thread for awhile now. Even missed my annual Global James Bond Day viewing of a Bond epic. Worked graveyards this weekend.

So today is indeed the 36th anniversary of the U.S. release of this iconic classic (now imitated by so many of the Craig era Bond films). Imitated may not be the correct word. Influenced, maybe.

Here it is..................

the GREATEST movie ever made...................

NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN

I must say I do love Connery in full military gear. He looks great here as an older Bond. I hope Craig has a similar vibe in the newest masterpiece : NO TIME TO DIE.

Bond is reamed a new one by the new M, Edward Fox.

I miss the Naval vibe of Bernard Lee and Robert Brown's office.

Still, it looks old school enough I can honestly say I prefer this office to Judi Dench's.

Conery is wearing a lot of eyeliner.

Let's get through this Moneypenny scene so fast the typical 1983 audience members who don't have access to a VHS player won't notice this isn't Lois Maxwell.

Didn't work.
    I like Pamela Salem as Moneypenny, actually.

I like Prunella Gee. What a beaury. She was on RETURN OF THE SAINT and the Hammer House of Horror episode: Witching Time.
    Pierce Brosnan was in the "Carpathian Eagle" episode.

Shplendid!

Bond is enjoying his time with Prunella Gee. She's adjusting the slight lesions of his thoracic vertebrae. I could use that actually. I slipped on some ice last winter and injured up my back royally. I was out of commission for a few days. When I fell I made sure to loudly present my impression of Roger's "OOOOOOOOOOORRHHHHHHHHHHH!"
    It was amazing.

I want to try some Quail's eggs some time. Where the Hell do you find some, though?
    Fatima beats up Richie Cunningham's brother. Fonzie's not around to protect him.
    This is why we never heard from Chuck Cunningham again, and he disappeared into television obscurity.

Gavin O Herilihy is great, though. Brad in SUPERMAN III.

Bond's doctor at Shrubland's was Scrooge's nephew in the Albert Finney musical SCROOGE.

He should have offered Scrooge an enema, too. That would have been funny.
    Pat Roach pounds on Bond. I really love this fight sequence. Very obviously an homage to the Oddjob fight.

Bond is getting creamed.

The kitchen reminds me of the kitchen in THE SHINING. I should watch that movie this Halloween season. It's pretty funny.

Looks like they're in a basement floor of sorts by the end of this.
    Now they're in the urine lab.

M again reams Bond a new one.

In fact I losht four poundsh and God knowsh how many free radicalsh.
    JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK BRAAAAAAAAVO!

Fatima is great.

I'm not so sure I like the transfer on this 2009 DVD release. The Blu-ray used the same transfer, so I doubt it's much better. This looks too muted, IMO. Maybe too much edge enhancement? I actually remember how this film looked in cinemas. The colors of the video game graphics were vibrant red and blue.

I was looking at old clips on Youtube of Cinemax airings of this film back in '84 and the colors on that transfer were far superior, IMO.
    I should have popped in my 1999 DVD copy instead. But this one was handy.

I think Edward Fox has good hair. Looks fairly Bondian, himself, IMO.
    Connery's neck is squared in this one. In all of his other Bond films it was tapered.

Largo is quite chirpy and cheerful as he comes into work for the morning.

M thinks Bond is a dumb ass.

"OH DO COME ALONG, BOND!"
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 15,818
    I love the repetitive annoying bass lick playing on Domino's stereo. It's fun to pick out and jam to on the guitar. A great way to annoy your family, roommates, girlfriend, etc
    Just play those notes over and over............

Algy is my second favorite Q after Desmond.

Bond meets Fatlima.
    You can just see her nipple as she removes her bathing suit: "We've got time to kill"

Valerie Leon is my favorite Hammer Glamour beauty (alongside Ingrid Pitt).

Valerie Leon is completely turned on by the sight of Connery in dungarees.
    Had he worn a straw hat that would have really sealed the deal.

I love the easy listening, jazzy, cheese that is Michel Legrand's score as the film cuts to France. 1983 at it's finest.

I think we're probably in for something similar with NTTD. Just a hunch.
    More wonderful music as Bond and Felix perv on Domino while she dances on the deck of the Flying Saucer.

And even more as we segue to the massage sequence.

OH YEAH..................

the soothing sounds of Michel LeGrand............

All the bikini clad beauties appear to be leering at Connery yet are secretly thinking:

"Isn't that the guy that used to play Mr Roger on THREE'S COMPANY?"

Connery's toupee in this sequence looks like the Mr Roper hairstyle.
    I worked with a guy who was absolutely convinced the guy at the arcade was in fact Timothy Dalton. He had read on IMDB's forums that Dalton was being groomed to replace Moore by Kevin McClory.

He also believed the gunbarrel was in fact a camera aperture, thanks to his research on the imdb forums.

I love Connery's "My name is Bond. JAMES Bond. Along with the nod he does as he emphasized JAMES.
    The Domination game is hilarious. I love largo here: "BOOM I win the game!"

"Rather like life! We continue?"

Cheesy video games were huge in the early '80's.

This scene is a bit dated, but I like it anyway. The game itself is quite high tech and advanced for 1983, kind of ahead of ti's time.

I vividly remember this is the cinema. The close ups of Connery behind the graphic. I remember thinking he looked a lot older here, but good.

The Monday after we saw this opening weekend I told everyone at school.
    I remember my 3rd grade teacher telling me she was planning on seeing it.
    The TV spot trailers played a lot, and there was quite a bit of coverage on this film.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 15,818
    Bond eats an apple. In TB it was a grape. Perhaps his time at Shrublands did him some good and he's back to healthy eating habits?

In the novel however, as soon as he gets the green-light to go on assignment he immediately has May cook him some scrambled eggs, toast, etc. The whole works.

He has this "screw this healthy new diet bullsh*t" attitude and goes for something more filling.
    I love the motorcycle chase. Doesn't outstay it's welcome and is followed by another excellent scene.
    I love the dust and dirt on Connery's black dinner suit .
    Bernie Casey was an incredibly cool Felix Leiter. One of the best, IMO.