The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree with that. Much was always made of how mean Roger felt kicking Locke off the cliff and how 'out of character it was'. However in his first 4 films he: tricks a virgin into bed, shoots someone armed 'only' with a sword, hits and threatens to break the arm of Anders, admits to enjoying killing Scaramanga, shoots Stromberg more than necessary, and the one I think is most like Lockes death is the way Bond swipes Sandor's tie sending him to his death.
    I liked this version of Moore's Bond better.

There is a fine balance to it. I love his down-to-business approach in TMWTGG, but in LALD and TSWLM he just comes across as an unpleasant scumbag.
    In the mood for a 4 word titled Bond film.

I'm also in the mood for a 5th outing.

I also want to see Blofeld.

We have more than 6 months to go still.

So I'll go for

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Especially since the Blu-ray thread I've been in the mood for this one, but now have some time to indulge in Bond.

Busy week, worked graveyards, had my car worked on.

Ran some errands today..

Here we go...............

Our man in Hong Kong is working on it now.

SEAN!!!!!!

Since the Blu-ray of YOLT looks very little like the cinematic prints, my television is calibrated to the warmer "MOVIES" picture setting.
    Helps a bit, actually.

Great titles.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am watching SP I do struggle with this film though there are some great moments in the pre title sequence as soon as DC removes that mask. The tracking shot of Bond on the roof tops is excellent. I love the the look on DC's face when Sciarra first see's Bond.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    In the mood for a 4 word titled Bond film.

I'm also in the mood for a 5th outing.

I also want to see Blofeld.

We have more than 6 months to go still.

So I'll go for

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Especially since the Blu-ray thread I've been in the mood for this one, but now have some time to indulge in Bond.

Busy week, worked graveyards, had my car worked on.

Ran some errands today..

Here we go...............

Our man in Hong Kong is working on it now.

SEAN!!!!!!

Since the Blu-ray of YOLT looks very little like the cinematic prints, my television is calibrated to the warmer "MOVIES" picture setting.
    Helps a bit, actually.

Great titles.

I often change the picture setting on my TV dependent on which film I am watching
    DC best Bond moments are when he looks p*ssed off
    edited September 2019 Posts: 23,528
    As good as the Mexico sequence is, the filter robs it of a sense of realism certainly during the helicopter fight
    Connery in full Naval attire.
    Looks great.

I remember taping this film off of The ABC Sunday Night Movie back in '86. It was around this time of year actually. Mid to late September. The next film to air would be NSNA in November, then FYEO in December. The transfer of YOLT was incredibly washed out looking. In fact there's a Youtube ABC Sunday Night Movie video of the intro for that airing. Bond movies aired on ABC were kind of an event back in the '80's. We still had a couple years to go before the series would be re-released on VHS at affordable prices. So recording them off TV was the most feasible option for collecting the films. This particular airing wasn't too truncated. Neither was NSNA in fact.

Although Connery looks a bit tired here, and not quite as lean as the previous outings I think it recalls the world weariness Fleming's Bond had in the later novels.

• edited September 2019 Posts: 15,846
    I am watching SP I do struggle with this film though there are some great moments in the pre title sequence as soon as DC removes that mask. The tracking shot of Bond on the roof tops is excellent. I love the the look on DC's face when Sciarra first see's Bond.

That moment of Daniel walking along the rooftops is classic Bond, IMO. Great scene in that film.
    Sciarra's body probably fell on a few people and killed them when Bond kicked him out of the helicopter

That moment of Daniel walking along the rooftops is classic Bond, IMO. Great scene in that film.

I thought the same DC is great during that scene
    I like the olive green trench coat Bond wears. Although it looks more gray on the Blu-ray.
    Reminds me of Stacy Keach on MICKEY SPILLANE'S MIKE HAMMER. Connery's toupee in this film looks similar to Keach's as well.

Bond looks goofy in those shoes, TBH.

I want to see Bond break into a safe again sometime. I miss those kinds of scenes.
    The way the Spectre ring morphs into the title sequence is good then what follows is awful time to fast forward
    I think Aki is an underrated Bond girl. Not one that is discussed too often. Seems to me, most Bond girl books and magazine articles have very few photos of her.
    She probably could have just been called Kissy Suzuki and the other character written out altogether. Aki could have been the main Bond girl. She has quite a strong screen presence. Though we would have missed out on her death scene.
    I like the olive green trench coat Bond wears. Although it looks more gray on the Blu-ray.
    Reminds me of Stacy Keach on MICKEY SPILLANE'S MIKE HAMMER. Connery's toupee in this film looks similar to Keach's as well.

I want to see Bond break into a safe again sometime. I miss those kinds of scenes.

Mike Hammer is hard as nails, Sir Sean looks the part for sure. I recently rewatched Kiss Me Deadly, at some point I am going to revisit the Keach films.

Mike Hammer is hard as nails, Sir Sean looks the part for sure. I recently rewatched Kiss Me Deadly, at some point I am going to revisit the Keach films.

KISS ME DEADLY is great. My personal favorite of those early Hammer films is the ultra low budget MY GUN IS QUICK.
    The way the Spectre ring morphs into the title sequence is good then what follows is awful time to fast forward

I have a hard time with that title sequence. Could never appreciate it.
    Aki sneaks up behind Bond as he'd being massaged. He acts like he hasn't seen her in years.

Cut to a shot of him looking astonishingly bored in the cab. Then even more bored in the elevator.

KISS ME DEADLY is great. My personal favorite of those early Hammer films is the ultra low budget MY GUN IS QUICK.

I have never watched MY GUN IS QUICK I will look for it

The SP title sequence and title track are just weird, showing all the past characters is a bit naff, the naff finale well the writing was on the wall with the foreshadowing in the title sequence, pun intended
    Max Denbigh should walk around with a sign above his head saying I am a villain

The SP title sequence and title track are just weird, showing all the past characters is a bit naff, the naff finale well the writing was on the wall with the foreshadowing in the title sequence, pun intended

MY GUN IS QUICK is pretty cool. Very much a B movie with Robert Bray as Hammer.
    I, THE JURY is good also.

I'm at the Kobe Docks sequence. One of my favorite scenes in the series. The Barry score is amazing.
    Bond shoots everyone and beats everyone up. LOL.
    Max Denbigh should walk around with a sign above his head saying I am a villain

He does have some good line delivery. Very arrogant character.

MY GUN IS QUICK is pretty cool. Very much a B movie with Robert Bray as Hammer.
    I, THE JURY is good also.

I'm at the Kobe Docks sequence. One of my favorite scenes in the series. The Barry score is amazing.
    Bond shoots everyone and beats everyone up. LOL.

The roof top fight aerial shot is great love that sequence, one of Barry's best scores
    I, THE JURY if I recall the first Hammer story?
    There are a lot of flat scenes in SP the MI6 scenes are quite dull

I loathe some of the score in this film

Yeah. I love the novel.

Biff Elliot, who played Hammer in that film version reminds me of one of the DEAD END KIDS, only grown up. Still, it's a solid noir. Remade in '82 with Armand Assante and Barbara Carrera.
    Sciarra's funeral looks good visually
    Q arrives wearing his favorite shorts and isn't in the mood to take any of Bond's needling.

This can only be for children! Don't use it, Bondsan. Take my helicopter!

I love that line! I should use that sometime : This can only be for children!
    The dialogue between Bond and Lucia is god awful

Yeah. I love the novel.

Biff Elliot, who played Hammer in that film version reminds me of one of the DEAD END KIDS, only grown up. Still, it's a solid noir. Remade in '82 with Armand Assante and Barbara Carrera.

Of course I remember the Assante film, another to revisit
    When I saw a 35mm print of this a few years ago, the buddy I was with commented that the action scenes have improved since this film was made.
    Technically I could understand where's he's coming from but it kind of bothered me.
    Aside from the crane sequence in CR, the car roll, the Craig films mostly rely on car chases and fight scenes. Those sometimes enhanced with CGI.
    I find the Little Nellie battle more fun than say the plane car snow chase in SP.
    SP commits the worst crime in movie making, the film is boring and why its ranked lowest in the series for me