The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• edited October 2019 Posts: 15,818
    I love Largo's reaction when he offers Bond a drink and he requests a vodka martini.

That little chuckle before he replies "Of course".
    Now in the final act. Great laser watch escape bit. This version of Palmyra was recently found thanks to "ON THE TRACKS OF 007". Always liked Palmyra here.

Connery looks great in these scenes.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK BRAAAAAAAAVO!

Fatima is great.

I'm not so sure I like the transfer on this 2009 DVD release. The Blu-ray used the same transfer, so I doubt it's much better. This looks too muted, IMO. Maybe too much edge enhancement? I actually remember how this film looked in cinemas. The colors of the video game graphics were vibrant red and blue.

I was looking at old clips on Youtube of Cinemax airings of this film back in '84 and the colors on that transfer were far superior, IMO.

My Bluray of NSNA looks pretty darn good to me. Being a fan of the film i'm suprised you haven't got it.

There's a bit of grain in some of the special effects shots but overall it was a big upgrade from the DVD.
    JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK BRAAAAAAAAVO!

Fatima is great.

I'm not so sure I like the transfer on this 2009 DVD release. The Blu-ray used the same transfer, so I doubt it's much better. This looks too muted, IMO. Maybe too much edge enhancement? I actually remember how this film looked in cinemas. The colors of the video game graphics were vibrant red and blue.

I was looking at old clips on Youtube of Cinemax airings of this film back in '84 and the colors on that transfer were far superior, IMO.

My Bluray of NSNA looks pretty darn good to me. Being a fan of the film i'm suprised you haven't got it.

There's a bit of grain in some of the special effects shots but overall it was a big upgrade from the DVD.

Agreed. It's one of the reasons why I reappraised my view of NSNA.
    Hated it when I saw it in the cinema.
    But there some good stuff in it and the blu ray release made me appreciate it more.
    Wow. That's great to hear. Looks like I'll have to do an upgrade. I believe the U.S. release is out of print, but apparently there are some all region Blu-rays out there.
    Wow. That's great to hear. Looks like I'll have to do an upgrade. I believe the U.S. release is out of print, but apparently there are some all region Blu-rays out there.

Yeah, i live in the UK and i'm pretty sure my version is region free. You can get it pretty cheap on Amazon.

Yeah, i live in the UK and i'm pretty sure my version is region free. You can get it pretty cheap on Amazon.

Likes like it's reasonable on ebay as well. I may put that on my Christmas list, actually.
    GOLDFINGER

Gunbarrel is amazing.
    Sneaky Bond at night with an astonishingly wonderful Barry score.
    Connery wearing toupee Number 1,the Bing Crosby.
    Squeezes some toothpaste.

Bond enters nightclub...........
    Connery wearing toupee Number 2. The GF PTS Toupee.
    I just got a trim today and it looks just like Sean's here. Well, sort of.

Bond looks great here. The iconic white dinner jacket.

Connery is the man.
    Robert Brownjohn in an unsung hero in the Bond universe. These titles are legendary.
    Quite excellent.

INTO MIAMI - my favorite piece of music in recorded history.

One of them anyway.
    The Blu ray does look excellent on my set.

I love 1964. Wish I had been there to experience it.

I like Felix's hat. My Dad wears one sometimes like that in the summer time.
    I'm more of fedora guy. Used to have several, but when I relocated they went to charity.
    I need to get one like Bogie's.

Back to 007.................

The Golden Jill sequence.
    So iconic and classic.

Bond takes it personally that he got her killed. It's all his fault.
    Beautifully conveyed in Connery's performance. Subtle, yet effective.

I love how Connery straightens himself when M says "This isn't a personal vendetta, 007."

Moneypenny looks quite lovely in that blue.
    When my Dad was 13, my grandparents took him on a family road trip to Kentucky to visit some relatives. It was a tradition for our family in those days.
    They got back home late one night after a long drive. However just in time to catch the late showing of the movie now playing at their local cinema, The Strand.

GOLDFINGER!

My Dad had no idea what it was or about. No publicity, nothing. He was completely enthralled and riveted. A few months later The Strand played the previous 2 Bonds on a double bill re-issue. But this sealed the deal and he was hooked.

He doesn't really collect movies like I do. Occasionally he'll pick one up. He had a DVD of GF, and I noticed the damn thing was cracked. I replaced it for Christmas last year. In my humble opinion, it's mandatory he have a copy of this film. I gave him TSWLM for his birthday this year.

Oddjob and Goldfinger cruising along the mountain roads. Auric wipes his nose like Wally Cleaver.

Bond is just chilin' out until Tilly comes along.
    Connery looks great in the tweed jacket.

More sneaky Bond. When I was a kid we lived in an old apartment complex in the middle of this odd industrial area: warehouses, factories, bakeries, and so forth. Reminded me of Auric Enterprises, so after school I would put on my Bond attire and run around with my back pack pretending to spy on Goldfinger.

I climbed over a fence that led to a parking lot and right behind me a police car pulled up. A second one pulled up in front of me. The officer approached me asking what I was doing. He then asked to see my ID, and I proudly pulled out my wallet: "Are you sure that's yours?" he asked.
    "Of course" .

In the front window I had a Bond "Licenced To Kill" card my Dad had made for me. Essentially a picture of Connery glued to a card. My real ID was behind it. Once they realized we we standing in front of the apartment I lived in they left and said something like " Have fun saving the world, 007." I must have been 9 or 10.

Bond is about to be castrated. He seems more intimidated by the laser than by Fatima Blush.

Bond meets Pussy. My favorite Connery era Bond girl alongside Domino.
    Connery looks good with the stubble.
    The clock from TB during the rack sequence here making it's debut outing in a Bond film. I should get a clock like that.
    I always liked the homing device in the heel of his shoe.
    Cool smaller gadget.
    Cec Linder as Leiter is a bit underrated, IMO.
    He doesn't quite have the level of coolness as Lord or Wright, but he's quite likable.
    Here we come to the section of the film that many fans on here don't care for:

Bond mostly sitting on his arse for the second half.

I love this bit myself. I also appreciate the Afghanistan section of TLD in spite of the film's pace slowing at that point.

This has some wonderful moments:

Bond disses Auric immediately upon arriving at Auric Stud and is sent to his quarters. LOL.
    Mr Solo is being crushed at the junk yard. Meanwhile the Evil Superman is pounding on Clark Kent. I should watch that movie again soon and have a Chuck from HAPPY DAYS marathon. That would go with yesterday's viewing of NSNA.
    Fort Knox.

My favorite Ken Adam set after the Supertanker.

I like when the soldiers fall. It's funny.

Felix rises.

Bond Vs Oddjob.

I love the tension that builds as Bond goes for the key. It would be so easy to drop it.
    Bond gets knocked around. Actually one of the things I do love about SPECTRE was the opportunity to put Bond in this type of scenario with Hinx. I like when Bond is physically out classed by an opponent and must use his wits.

An iconic scene.

How remiss of me not to mention that Oddjob's hairstyle is perfectly in fashion in 2019. Probably 2020 as well.
    The model plane is cute. I miss the wires, though. Lowery rid us of them in 2006.
    And Goldfinger is sucked into outer space.

POOOOSHY

Playing his golden harp.

Great viewing of GF. Now going back to my number one spot. Excuse me while I adjourn to the ranking thread....................

I love this bit myself. I also appreciate the Afghanistan section of TLD in spite of the film's pace slowing at that point.

Bond disses Auric immediately upon arriving at Auric Stud and is sent to his quarters. LOL.

Good man. I think Bond at the stud farm and TLD Afghanistan scenes are unfairly vilified on here.

Good man. I think Bond at the stud farm and TLD Afghanistan scenes are unfairly vilified on here.

The desert scenes in DAYLIGHTS are my favorite section of that film, actually. The Barry score is amazing.

The desert scenes in DAYLIGHTS are my favorite section of that film, actually. The Barry score is amazing.

Well said! A great score from John Barry. Such a pity he didn't get to do LTK.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Well said! A great score from John Barry. Such a pity he didn't get to do LTK.

Those scenes in Afghanistan have such a sweeping epic feel to them.
    After a classy gunbarrel its off we go with Moonraker Good effects with the shuttle highjack and then fantastic stunt work in the PTS almost ruined by Jaws buffoonery...
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,985
    Corinne Celery is a real looker. HD suits her! 😍

These early scenes really are excellent.

I prefer the early part of this to TSWLM even though I prefer Spy overall
    The centrifuge. One of my favourite sequences of all the Moore films. Moore looks seriously rattled after his experience. I love the way he pushes Holly Goodhead away.
    "You missed Mr Bond..."

"Did I....?"

Great moment!

Corinne hunted by Doberman's.....wonderful music from John Barry 👍
    Most of the prominent women in this film end up as crew on the Moonraker shuttles. Just noticed the guide at the glass factory.
    I do like Lois Chile's in this although a lot of folk would disagree with me.

The stupid Gondola scene....I always skip this bit.