Lost but now found! The Unreleased Bond Music Thread!

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited September 2019 Posts: 6,724
    mattjoes wrote: »

Is there a complete track of this available?

Well, the audio is sourced from the first Latin American Spanish dub of DAF, which was recorded from TV some 23 years ago. The audio is taken from the end credits edit of the song (which came without the vocals), so it's not possible to get the part of the song that comes before the beginning of the video. The broadcast was cut short before the end credits finished playing, which is why the part of the music that comes after the video ends is missing. Theoretically, it should be possible to get that part if someone provided another copy of the dub, but not the full song. Not from this source, anyway.

Edit: I just realized I missed the fact this audio is much shorter than the actual end credits version. It was probably edited down for the broadcast, not just cut short at the end. Once again, a full, unedited copy of the dub track could provide, at the very least, the end credits instrumental version in full.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 17,280

Well, the audio is sourced from the first Latin American Spanish dub of DAF, which was recorded from TV some 23 years ago. The audio is taken from the end credits edit of the song (which came without the vocals), so it's not possible to get the part of the song that comes before the beginning of the video. The broadcast was cut short before the end credits finished playing, which is why the part of the music that comes after the video ends is missing. Theoretically, it should be possible to get that part if someone provided another copy of the dub, but not the full song. Not from this source, anyway.

Thought it might be the case that this was all there is. I really dig the instrumentals of DAF. Bassey too of course, but as with any great song, it's always interesting to hear a version with just the instrumentals. There's often some parts you don't notice as much with the vocals included!

Thought it might be the case that this was all there is. I really dig the instrumentals of DAF. Bassey too of course, but as with any great song, it's always interesting to hear a version with just the instrumentals. There's often some parts you don't notice as much with the vocals included!

Absolutely. I adore instrumentals, and in fact, I wish all music wasn't sold merely in stereo, but with several audio channels dedicated to different instruments and groups of instruments, whose volume could be adjusted at will.

As I said, one day we could get the full instrumental of the end credits edit, but we'd have to locate someone else who might have recorded the film back in the day with that old dub. Unfortunately, the DVDs included a new, different dub that doesn't have Bassey's voice missing at the end. I do know the film was aired in my country (and likely in other places, of course) several times during the 90s, so maybe someone else recorded it and it wasn't edited by an unscrupulous TV network (my copy of the film has several cuts). As of today, as far as I know, I'm the only person who has a copy of that dub track, but that could change eventually. The dub was made sometime between 1978 and the early eighties, so in twenty years someone else must've recorded it before it was superseded by the new dub.

Absolutely. I adore instrumentals, and in fact, I wish all music wasn't sold merely in stereo, but with several audio channels dedicated to different instruments and groups of instruments, whose volume could be adjusted at will.

Oooh, that would've been nice!
    As I said, one day we could get the full instrumental of the end credits edit, but we'd have to locate someone else who might have recorded the film back in the day with that old dub. Unfortunately, the DVDs included a new, different dub that doesn't have Bassey's voice missing at the end. I do know the film was aired in my country (and likely in other places, of course) several times during the 90s, so maybe someone else recorded it and it wasn't edited by an unscrupulous TV network (my copy of the film has several cuts). As of today, as far as I know, I'm the only person who has a copy of that dub track, but that could change eventually. The dub was made sometime between 1978 and the early eighties, so in twenty years someone else must've recorded it before it was superseded by the new dub.

We can only hope the dub turns up at some point! Alternative is if an expanded score includes instrumental tracks like this one.
    We can only hope the dub turns up at some point! Alternative is if an expanded score includes instrumental tracks like this one.

The second option would be even better. They've never done it before in an expanded Bond score, though. I believe they were pushing the limit with the length of the 2003 album and if they wanted to add more music, it would probably have to go into a second disc. It could include the instrumental version of the song, and some more alternate versions of cues (assuming they exist). They could also take the opportunity to present the music of the first disc in sequence, and include the only piece of music of the score they failed to include the first time around, that very brief (and admittedly fairly inconsequential) sting that plays when the film cuts from Bond getting out of the pipeline to Blofeld in the Whyte House.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 17,280

The second option would be even better. They've never done it before in an expanded Bond score, though. I believe they were pushing the limit with the length of the 2003 album and if they wanted to add more music, it would probably have to go into a second disc. It could include the instrumental version of the song, and some more alternate versions of cues (assuming they exist). They could also take the opportunity to present the music of the first disc in sequence, and include the only piece of music of the score they failed to include the first time around, that very brief (and admittedly fairly inconsequential) sting that plays when the film cuts from Bond getting out of the pipeline to Blofeld in the Whyte House.

That's a must-have release if it happens. That makes me think of the La La Land Records DAD release; does it include many additional cues?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That's a must-have release if it happens. That makes me think of the La La Land Records DAD release; does it include many additional cues?

Compaired to the 2002 soundtrack: yes, many! Compared to a previous "complete score" release, fewer but still in far better sound quality.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Compaired to the 2002 soundtrack: yes, many! Compared to a previous "complete score" release, fewer but still in far better sound quality.

Interesting! I sure hope we'll see more scores get a similar treatment. Don't know how likely that is though…?

Interesting! I sure hope we'll see more scores get a similar treatment. Don't know how likely that is though…?

It's pretty likely, in my opinion. We've had two expanded releases by La-La Land already, and we only missed out on one this year because, according to La-La Land, EON was busy with the new film. I bet we'll see an expanded TND next year, and hopefully more.

It's pretty likely, in my opinion. We've had two expanded releases by La-La Land already, and we only missed out on one this year because, according to La-La Land, EON was busy with the new film. I bet we'll see an expanded TND next year, and hopefully more.

They've only done Arnold scores so far, right? I sure hope they get around to doing the same with the Barry scores, and of course all of the other (older) scores.

Was there more on the “complete” release than the LLL? I don’t remember any other tracks.
    There have been somewhat successful attempts at assembling "complete" scores of TLD, LTK and GE for example, but these are basically
    • tracks from previous scores cut up and repasted for a more chronological listening experience
    • cues ripped from the film copy with suppressed sound effects
    • bonus tracks like other versions of the theme song and whatnot that aren't, as such, in the movie
    • with at least one or two musical moments you can immediately think of, missing from the list.

To be frank, I've always appreciated these efforts despite their obvious flaws. The people behind these editions have definitely done everything in their power to give us what we get, which is usually a two-disc treat. While never 100 % complete and with obvious quality flaws, it's still the best we can find until EON or whoever releases a cleaned-up, remastered, complete score from whatever master tapes that have survived.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2019 Posts: 14,951

They've only done Arnold scores so far, right? I sure hope they get around to doing the same with the Barry scores, and of course all of the other (older) scores.

I'm sure I read an interview with the guy behind the expanded rereleases of the Bond scores from 15 years ago or so and he said it was pretty uneconomical and it didn't sound likely to happen again, sadly.
    Here you go: http://jamesbondradio.com/the-music-of-bond-an-interview-with-producer-lukas-kendall/
    mtm wrote: »

I'm sure I read an interview with the guy behind the expanded rereleases of the Bond scores from 15 years ago or so and he said it was pretty uneconomical and it didn't sound likely to happen again, sadly.
    Here you go: http://jamesbondradio.com/the-music-of-bond-an-interview-with-producer-lukas-kendall/

That's too bad, but not surprising. It often comes down to if it's profitable enough or not.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 4,024

Those expanded CDs from FSM were done on a tight budget, and FSM made nothing from it. They were happy just to get the music released.

The newer La La Land expansions seem to be backed more. Well they are 2 CD rather than 1. It seems like they will continue next year, but we don't know if they will go beyond the David Arnold scores.
    Kendall doesn't even say in the interview that expanded re-releases are unlikely to happen again. He just says that back then, money and time were tight. If anything, he claims not to know anything about the present situation of the scores and the master tapes. And the circumstances have apparently changed since 2003.

There have been somewhat successful attempts at assembling "complete" scores of TLD, LTK and GE for example, but these are basically
    • tracks from previous scores cut up and repasted for a more chronological listening experience
    • bonus tracks like other versions of the theme song and whatnot that aren't, as such, in the movie
    • with at least one or two musical moments you can immediately think of, missing from the list.

To be frank, I've always appreciated these efforts despite their obvious flaws. The people behind these editions have definitely done everything in their power to give us what we get, which is usually a two-disc treat. While never 100 % complete and with obvious quality flaws, it's still the best we can find until EON or whoever releases a cleaned-up, remastered, complete score from whatever master tapes that have survived.
    Yes. I have my own resequenced and expanded playlists of all the Bond scores, with a combination of rips obtained from the internet and my own rips, and I find myself greatly enjoying them, low quality and everything. While of course, I will always be tremendously excited at the prospect of more expanded scores, and will happily buy them, I have to say that curiously, over the years, I've become more contented with just listening to the music as ripped straight from the film audio. It's great music, and that's the most important thing. I encourage everyone to listen to the film scores in full from the film audio. Especially TMWTGG! Don't just settle for a superficial or incomplete impression of the scores based on the album. The music is out there already, in some imperfect shape or form, but it's out there.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Kendall doesn't even say in the interview that expanded re-releases are unlikely to happen again.

I didn't say he did; that was my inference based on not much having changed! :) Fingers crossed it does.
    Kendall doesn't even say in the interview that expanded re-releases are unlikely to happen again.

I didn't say he did; that was my inference based on not much having changed! :) Fingers crossed it does.

Of course FSM are no more, and I don’t know how much involvement Kendall has elsewhere in the industry now.

Ah, gotcha. But I think the situation has changed. Otherwise, we wouldn't have gotten any new releases. And it was pointed out that TWINE was sourced from the "MGM vault", so it's not like Arnold himself provided the masters. They did go looking for them, to some extent, and that is good news since the same might happen with other scores.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2019 Posts: 16,330
    So there's some bad news. Picosong, the site I posted the majority of these links to is shutting down on October 21st. If you don't already have these tracks, I suggest everyone download them right away. Also, I will be posting the original fan expanded Soundtracks somewhere else very soon so everyone will have access to them.

@GertGettler, this concerns you too since I recall you posted some tracks on Picosong some time ago.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I will be finding a new place to reupload everything soon.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Only heard of the complete score for TLD, I’d be very interested in those of LTK and GE. Especially LTK’s original soundtrack was a very lacking representation of the movie’s music.
    Murdock wrote: »
    So there's some bad news. Picosong, the site I posted the majority of these links to is shutting down on October 21st. If you don't already have these tracks, I suggest everyone download them right away. Also, I will be posting the original fan expanded Soundtracks somewhere else very soon so everyone will have access to them.

@GertGettler, this concerns you too since I recall you posted some tracks on Picosong some time ago.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I will be finding a new place to reupload everything soon.

I would like to say thank you, @Murdock, for the time and effort you put into all that work--past, present and future. It's deeply appreciated, friend. :)
    Murdock wrote: »

I would like to say thank you, @Murdock, for the time and effort you put into all that work--past, present and future. It's deeply appreciated, friend. :)

Same here. Appreciate the effort on trying to complete the scores @Murdock
    Thank you @DarthDimi, and @vzok. I can't really take any credit as I'm just sharing them. But I would like to really thank people like, KaFaraqGatri, gkgyver and the many others who put their time, efforts and hearts into doing the impossible and trying their hardest to expand those Bond soundtracks we love. And I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread as well. Sharing my love of Bond music is a great honor and here's hoping we'll see some more expansions in the near future. Fortunately you can get the fan compiled expansions here.

http://forums.ffshrine.org/showthread.php?t=77043

Many of the ones here are in better condition than the ones I've posted previously though some of the newer ones omit tracks from older releases due to quality and what not. However, I have both old and newer releases so if you find yourself missing any previously posted tracks, feel free to PM if you need any specific tracks. :)
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    Almost finished with my manual to my project ;-). And then everyone can have my username and password to download it from my box-account ;-)
    jake24 wrote: »
    @Murdock, do you happen to know the track that accompanies the scene where Zorin escapes the mine via blimp, while Bond and Mayday discover all the dead mine workers? It's one of my favorites cues from AVTAK.

To maybe answer a 3 year old question, it might be this track......

edited October 2019 Posts: 6,724

All the unreleased music heard in For Your Eyes Only, ripped from the film audio. Only one brief track (02 - Bond Is Caught) contains any noticeable SFX. I did all the rips, except for track 10 - Albania, which I got from the internet, though I did do some EQ on it.

Download link (FLAC): https://mega.nz/#!BUp1EISQ!yhdliLGrpndON4oPsrZt-qa8cO6WKkMUuRXGcNcGKeA

Since a few tracks required some heavy noise reduction that also reduces the high frequencies of the audio, the download also includes the noisy versions of these tracks, if you prefer a crispier sound, albeit with considerable hiss. All tracks have had their volume imbalances corrected.

Enjoy!

P.S.: I hope they don't take down this friggin' video. And more music coming soon!
    @mattjoes These are excellent! Thank you for this wonderful contribution.
    You're welcome, @Murdock!
    Damn, I just realized I missed a track. I'll reupload the file and include it.