Lost but now found! The Unreleased Bond Music Thread!

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Is there anyway to collect all these in one download?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm afraid not.
    grunther wrote: »
    cool! thanks

I came across this the other day...

and a few more from the same user, not all visible from their channel

higher bitrates make a difference though... @vzok do you have any links from your mixes? they are also very well done!

I don't end up with tracks in high quality flac I'm afraid, so the audio is probably as good as it's going to get as I've uploaded it to youtube. I tend to put them there as they don't get deleted.

As for the guy's videos above, I think @mattjoes examined the FRWL gypsy camp cue and found it was a unique recording. however this chap has done a good job in trying to replicate it - I lost patience trying to do that one. I pinched from youtube his effort on OHMSS stock car chase, and although it's just an edit of the main theme, it's surprising how the OHMSS playlist benefits from putting that one in - a real reminder of where you are in the movie at that point.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited February 2019 Posts: 6,721
    Those videos aren't good, in my opinion. Clearly, they're all sourced from tracks in the soundtrack albums, reedited to resemble different, but similar cues that aren't available. The actual SPECTRE meeting music from FRWL is quite different than what you hear in the video (I think @vzok shared a rip with us). The music in the OHMSS video is closer to the real one but it's still certainly not the same. I concede the 007 theme edit is more forgivable as it's easy not to notice the film features a unique recording. I can also understand the edits of the car chases in OHMSS and SP, since as @vzok says, they make the playlists flow better (though my personal preference is to avoid tracked edits of film cues and just keep the actual film cues as recorded, for the scenes they were intended).

This is some strange attempt by that YouTube user to make his playlists longer by adding more music he doesn't really have. (Edit: or he is tone deaf!)
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I love it. Of all the one-time composers I would've had Conti come back.

He's still active, isn't he? :-D
    I love it. Of all the one-time composers I would've had Conti come back.

He's still active, isn't he? :-D

"I sincerely hope so." ;)
    Couldn't wait to share this with you people. I felt inspired to do it after the group watch of Thunderball last year.

Lossless download link:
    https://www84.zippyshare.com/v/ngX4Bdkh/file.html
    Awesome
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,279
    Couldn't wait to share this with you people. I felt inspired to do it after the group watch of Thunderball last year.

Lossless download link:
    https://www84.zippyshare.com/v/ngX4Bdkh/file.html

This is great, @mattjoes! :-)
    The score is one of many reasons that makes TB a top three Bond film for me.
    vzok wrote: »
    As for the guy's videos above, I think @mattjoes examined the FRWL gypsy camp cue and found it was a unique recording. however this chap has done a good job in trying to replicate it - I lost patience trying to do that one. I pinched from youtube his effort on OHMSS stock car chase, and although it's just an edit of the main theme, it's surprising how the OHMSS playlist benefits from putting that one in - a real reminder of where you are in the movie at that point.
    Yes, some complete film mix playlists and composer alternative ones are something I need to get round to doing. I traced and pulled out every piece of music for a cue list on the 1st 4 films a few years ago, was hoping to list more films but thats a task in itself. Thunderball is a monster!
    Those videos aren't good, in my opinion. Clearly, they're all sourced from tracks in the soundtrack albums, reedited to resemble different, but similar cues that aren't available. The actual SPECTRE meeting music from FRWL is quite different than what you hear in the video (I think @vzok shared a rip with us). The music in the OHMSS video is closer to the real one but it's still certainly not the same. I concede the 007 theme edit is more forgivable as it's easy not to notice the film features a unique recording. I can also understand the edits of the car chases in OHMSS and SP, since as @vzok says, they make the playlists flow better (though my personal preference is to avoid tracked edits of film cues and just keep the actual film cues as recorded, for the scenes they were intended).

This is some strange attempt by that YouTube user to make his playlists longer by adding more music he doesn't really have. (Edit: or he is tone deaf!)
    Interesting insights! and thanks for the new share. Thunderball is in bad need of a complete 2 disc release.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 6,721
    Glad you enjoyed it.

I've got transcriptions of all the missing Goldfinger cues. I'll get around to giving them this same treatment. It's going to take a while though, because mixing is hard work for me! I'm getting better at it, though (I'm really happy with the sound of the strings in this cue!).
    yes you should be! i can do video editing but anything with music i find fiddly, takes me ages to make a seamless cut. I once ripped the TND isolated score only to find the horrendous volume fluctuations ruined it. others were able to take it a bit further to iron that out.
    This was my DR NO effort.
    http://forums.ffshrine.org/showthread.php?t=77043&page=178&p=3682840&viewfull=1#post3682840
    It was quite an insightful exercise into how the score was put together.
    Glad you enjoyed it.

I've got transcriptions of all the missing Goldfinger cues. I'll get around to giving them this same treatment. It's going to take a while though, because mixing is hard work for me! I'm getting better at it, though (I'm really happy with the sound of the strings in this cue!).

I’ve probably asked already, but what software do you use for virtual instruments and editing?
    Glad you enjoyed it.

I’ve probably asked already, but what software do you use for virtual instruments and editing?

I use Sibelius to create the sheet music of the transcription. I then export it as a MIDI file which I import into Reaper, a digital audio workstation. From Reaper, using the Kontakt plugin, I load the virtual instruments I need and have them play the MIDI for me. Spitfire is one of the best brands in virtual instruments.
    grunther wrote: »
    yes you should be! i can do video editing but anything with music i find fiddly, takes me ages to make a seamless cut. I once ripped the TND isolated score only to find the horrendous volume fluctuations ruined it. others were able to take it a bit further to iron that out.
    This was my DR NO effort.
    http://forums.ffshrine.org/showthread.php?t=77043&page=178&p=3682840&viewfull=1#post3682840
    It was quite an insightful exercise into how the score was put together.

That's an interesting breakdown of the score. Incidentally, I didn't know there was an unreleased sax version of the Bond theme in the trailer. Sounds decent. Given the Bond theme wasn't famous yet, it was likely recorded for the trailer.

(Frankly, I don't even remember having watched that trailer... maybe just once!)
    Exactly! that one is a massive curiosity to me as we are talking about some sort of officially made cover right at the dawn of things. hearing the whole track, if it was ever made would be amazing.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 6,721
    I don't believe anyone has posted a clean Octopussy gunbarrel. It is known the James Bond in India documentary includes that cue without SFX. I combined it via crossfade with a rip of the film audio.

The cue is shortened by a few bars in the documentary. Generally, if a cue isn't complete from beginning to end, I don't include it in my soundtrack playlist, but in this case, given the edit is relatively minor and the cue is important, it was a perfectly acceptable thing to do, though I did label it "(Edit)".

(MP3 320 kbps alright, I trust? I'm not a FLAC person myself. Last time it was an exception.)

https://www84.zippyshare.com/v/84JKImwJ/file.html
    I don't believe anyone has posted a clean Octopussy gunbarrel. It is known the James Bond in India documentary includes that cue without SFX. I combined it via crossfade with a rip of the film audio.

The cue is shortened by a few bars in the documentary. Generally, if a cue isn't complete from beginning to end, I don't include it in my soundtrack playlist, but in this case, given the edit is relatively minor and the cue is important, it was a perfectly acceptable thing to do, though I did label it "(Edit)".

(MP3 320 kbps alright, I trust? I'm not a FLAC person myself. Last time it was an exception.)

All your additions to the 007 playlist are appreciated.

All your additions to the 007 playlist are appreciated.

Thank you.
    Super job! those drum beats, its the first time i've heard it that way.
    I didn't realise it was in that documentary or if I had its been long forgotten about.
    I enjoy lossless and feel it can make a difference with orchestral music, though granted here, you guys have to deal with all sorts of sources so there's not much point.

That link has disappeared before I had a chance to give it a listen. Any chance of a reup?

That link has disappeared before I had a chance to give it a listen. Any chance of a reup?

It's still up. Give it another try; maybe it was just a random error. I understand Zippyshare deletes files only after a month of no downloads.
    I present you the city chase music from Everything or Nothing, heard during the Battle in the Big Easy mission. The most common version you'll find of this piece is a gamerip that is missing certain crucial parts. I think this has to do with the fact the music in the game is modular (it's broken down into small parts that are played back in semi-random order), and whoever ripped the music probably missed certain parts of it (maybe it was an oversight or those parts were stored elsewhere in the game data?). Anyway, I've taken that gamerip and restored the missing parts by recording the sound directly from the game with an emulator (getting the audio from the game data was beyond my capabilities, though I gave it a shot). For the recordings, I set the SFX volume to the minimum (25/100), and with the music being quite loud, the sound of the car engine was barely audible. Still, I took things a step further and fed a sample of the pure car engine sound to a noise reduction plugin, which I then used to process the audio. The plugin toned down the relatively more noticeable bass frequencies of the car engine sound. After this, the SFXs were, for all practical purposes, not audible at all.

The most annoying omission in the music was this. This section with the muted horns is fantastic and it lost a great deal of impact without the beginning. At 2:50 in my version of the piece you can hear that part as it's meant to be. Much better.

This is my favorite cue in the entire game, and perhaps one of the best Bond action cues of any medium. Enjoy!

Download link:
    https://www118.zippyshare.com/v/jKyKBaK9/file.html
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That was fantastic! Thank you @mattjoes, That was my favorite track in the game as well. Wonderful track and great to have it in it's completion. :-bd
    Glad you enjoyed it, @Murdock.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,279
    There's been some great tracks in the Bond games through the years!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2019 Posts: 10,588
    For any fans of Skyfall's score, was anyone aware that an expanded version of the soundtrack has been available on YouTube for over two years?

There are tons on tracks that aren't on the soundtrack that can be found on this channel:

They put that Skyfall album together using the music from the For Your Consideration album (the one they sent to AMPAS members to get an Oscar nomination). Only caveat is the FYC album was edited to omit all instances of the James Bond Theme, since it was not composed by Thomas Newman. They were of course restored for that album on YouTube.

Is there a complete track of this available?