Lost but now found! The Unreleased Bond Music Thread!

Comments

• edited November 2019 Posts: 17,272
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The version of Try first appeared in the 1970 album Ready When You Are, J.B. The other two were originally released as B-sides of certain singles, I believe. They were released under the Polydor label, with which John Barry signed in the early seventies.
    That late? I have a couple Polydor vinyl singles (both blue vinyl) from the early 60's where John Barry & His Orchestra appear.

Edit: Never mind, it was Parlophone not Polydor!

Oh, okay!

Easy mistake to make - the blue vinyl singles from both brands are quite similar! Examples:

MOODY-BLUES-THE-OTHER-SIDE-OF-LIFE.jpg
    R-1483645-1223117788.jpeg.jpg
    Thunderball shark pool fight

Goldfinger: Bond smashes up Aston Martin

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Many thanks for those, @vzok.
    grunther wrote: »
    John Barry's pulls his own tongue in cheek move with 'The best place in town' cue. Admittedly I didn't make the connection until later years lol. The 4 bonks...I mean honks sounded more subtle in your version, less oomph than I thought it had but I was streaming from youtube at the time. Its just a memorable bit to me for that reason.
    Haha, you've got a point there regarding the muted bass trombone! It's like with the muted trumpet in DAF's Plenty, Then Tiffany, which someone said sounded like kisses.

Ha! John Barry IS the man B-)
    I also noticed you streamed some re-recorded versions of DAF, WHATTITW & Try....where did they appear from?
    The version of Try first appeared in the 1970 album Ready When You Are, J.B. The other two were originally released as B-sides of certain singles, I believe. They were released under the Polydor label, with which John Barry signed in the early seventies. These re-arrangements were all done by Barry, of course, and DAF and WHATTITW were given the "Persuaders" treatment-- all synths and European string instruments. They have been included in some Barry compilation albums since, such as this one and this one.

There are several Barry pieces that were arranged (or re-arranged) in that distinctive Persuaders style. DAF, WHATTITW, This Way Mary (from Mary Queen of Scots), Orson Welles' Great Mysteries, Play It Again (from The Tamarind Seed), The Adventurer and of course The Persuaders.

Ah, I assumed it was from around that era, I do have that album but missed it when I glanced at the track list. Thanks...will be worth checking out the others.
    Yes...its always interesting to hear how Barry's music and sound evolved and how there was some overlap between scores, how non-Bond scores influenced Bond scores or vice versa.
    Fellas, you're not going to believe what I just heard.

A Spanish-language cable channel is running a marathon of Bond films. DAF started a few minutes ago, and the audio track with the Latin American Spanish dub --the second one, incidentally-- included the title song without Shirley Bassey's voice! I recorded it on my DVR; now I just have to find a way of retrieving the audio. Might take a few days. I will note, however, that a voice reads the title in Spanish when it appears. I'll replace that part with the audio from the album version of the song, but Shirley's voice is heard in that part, so that is one little snippet of the song that will probably continue to include her voice. Other than that, we've got ourselves a full instrumental version of DAF.

Weird coincidence that it happened just a few months after we were discussing the possibility of obtaining a DAF instrumental.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 6,718
    That's great.

So the Latin American dub doesn't feature the Bassey vocal version, but where does the instrumental version come from? If only there were "no vocals" versions for all the title songs.
    Very good question. I suppose a film's audio track is made up from different stems (dialogue, SFX, music, etc.). One could consider the possibility that, maybe, the film studio was meant to send a dialogue-less audio track to the dubbing studio, so that they could overlay their own dubbed lines over the track, and they mistakenly also removed Bassey's vocals from the song. Another possibility could be that the dubbing studio made the mistake of removing the vocals. However, the truth is I own the film on DVD and the very same dub has the vocals on the song, so that makes those possibilities very unlikely. Yet another possibility could be that the lyrics were omitted because of legal reasons related to the broadcast, though I can't think of what the specific reasons could be. Whatever the case, the omission of the vocals probably has to do with the specific broadcast, rather than with the dub.

DAF was aired as part of a Bond marathon, so I'm paying attention to the other films in case some of them are also aired without vocals.

Yes, yes, yes!!! I've waited so long to hear an instrumental of this track – thank you so much, @mattjoes, this is great! :-bd

I've always loved the bass and the funky guitar of DAF, and the wonderful strings… and everything else really; this is and will forever be the ultimate Bond theme song, IMO. Perfection!
    Great find! research and knowledge to get this out there. thanks.

On first listen, the 8 note motif that Barry uses doesn't quite gel as well for me without the lyrics. I though that was interesting.
    Although there's so much going on in that 3 minutes, its quite a complicated piece but very rewarding.

I'm now reminded of the Italian version that Bassey made, not actually sure if that accompanied a version of the film though.

https://youtu.be/k36gH0PI30Y

Yes, yes, yes!!! I've waited so long to hear an instrumental of this track – thank you so much, @mattjoes, this is great! :-bd

I've always loved the bass and the funky guitar of DAF, and the wonderful strings… and everything else really; this is and will forever be the ultimate Bond theme song, IMO. Perfection!
    Glad you enjoyed it, @Torgeirtrap. Of the Connery era, I think this is theme I listen to the most. In this instrumental version, I love listening to the violins at 1:09. Beautiful!

Great find! research and knowledge to get this out there. thanks.

On first listen, the 8 note motif that Barry uses doesn't quite gel as well for me without the lyrics. I though that was interesting.
    Although there's so much going on in that 3 minutes, its quite a complicated piece but very rewarding.
    The 8-note motif is out of sync here, for some reason. It's not like that in the album version of the song, though. Must be a problem with this specific version. A defect in the mix.

I'm now reminded of the Italian version that Bassey made, not actually sure if that accompanied a version of the film though.

https://youtu.be/k36gH0PI30Y
    Good question. There is a strong possibility that the Italian release featured the Italian version of the song. I wish someone here could confirm that. I'll ask in the questions thread.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 17,272

Glad you enjoyed it, @Torgeirtrap. Of the Connery era, I think this is theme I listen to the most. In this instrumental version, I love listening to the violins at 1:09. Beautiful!
    @mattjoes It's no doubt the theme I listen to the most (especially more recently) – and not just from the Connery era! I love the violins at 1:09 too, and they're much more in focus without the vocals over it (not to take anything away from Dame Shirley's vocal performance of course – which is brilliant).

I really like the contrast in this song: the funky guitar and bass, the soft violins you mentioned, and the fast brassy notes heard several times throughout the duration of the song (at 0:43 for example). The song also goes well with the sleazy, neon-lit visuals of Las Vegas in the film!

@mattjoes It's no doubt the theme I listen to the most (especially more recently) – and not just from the Connery era! I love the violins at 1:09 too, and they're much more in focus without the vocals over it (not to take anything away from Dame Shirley's vocal performance of course – which is brilliant).

I really like the contrast in this song: the funky guitar and bass, the soft violins you mentioned, and the fast brassy notes heard several times throughout the duration of the song (at 0:43 for example). The song also goes well with the sleazy, neon-lit visuals of Las Vegas in the film!

@Torgeirtrap, I love all those elements you mentioned, as well as that sexy organ playing the eight-note motif and the finger cymbals in the intro, both of which reflect the glittering of diamonds. I also adore that part at 1:35 where the tinkly piano plays alongside the wah guitar and the busy percussion. Same goes for the trumpets and horns at the end.

This song is so delicious to listen to, it honestly makes me think of eating chocolate or something... it's exquisite! Some time ago I started a transcript of it just because I like the arrangement so much and I like being able to tell apart all the different instruments. I haven't finished it yet but I think I'll pick it up again and work on it.

I don't know if it's the theme I listen to the most, though. Other candidates would be Moonraker, A View to a Kill and The Living Daylights. Though I like/love all the Bond songs except one (AWTD).

I also really like TMWTGG. Whatever you might think of Lulu's voice, the theme is pretty great and what the orchestra is doing --along the dirty guitar, exciting percussion and those dramatic xylophone/string phrases-- is damn cool.

Edit: And All Time High is another favorite. Very underrated.
    Does anyone know where I can find David Arnold's cover of the Bond theme released as a b-side to David McAlmont's 1997 single "Diamonds Are Forever"? It used to be on YouTube, but I can't find it there, or on iTunes.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,272

@Torgeirtrap, I love all those elements you mentioned, as well as that sexy organ playing the eight-note motif and the finger cymbals in the intro, both of which reflect the glittering of diamonds. I also adore that part at 1:35 where the tinkly piano plays alongside the wah guitar and the busy percussion. Same goes for the trumpets and horns at the end.

This song is so delicious to listen to, it honestly makes me think of eating chocolate or something... it's exquisite! Some time ago I started a transcript of it just because I like the arrangement so much and I like being able to tell apart all the different instruments. I haven't finished it yet but I think I'll pick it up again and work on it.

@mattjoes Indeed, I like how Barry managed to evoke a feeling of sparkling and glittering so effectively through cues in this track (and the score for that matter). Even the sweeping violins does that! That part at 1:35 is really great! I have a real soft spot for wah guitar (think Theme from Shaft, for example) – and here it works as a great little addition to a classic-sounding Bond theme song. Just wonderful.

Hah! I like it when music makes you think of or associate it with other (completely different) things – like food. I've had that experience before; some rock songs have made me want to grab a burger, strangely enough. Don't know why. I'd love to see that transcript at some point! :-)
    I don't know if it's the theme I listen to the most, though. Other candidates would be Moonraker, A View to a Kill and The Living Daylights. Though I like/love all the Bond songs except one (AWTD).

I also really like TMWTGG. Whatever you might think of Lulu's voice, the theme is pretty great and what the orchestra is doing --along the dirty guitar, exciting percussion and those dramatic xylophone/string phrases-- is damn cool.

Edit: And All Time High is another favorite. Very underrated.

I listen quite often to these songs as well. I've never understood the TMWTGG hate (both the song and the film!). I really love that song. Sure, it's cheesy and Lulu's voice is over the top, but why not? I think it's a fun song for a fun Bond film. I too loooooove the dirty guitar; it suits/reflects the more raunchy elements of the film, like the inclusion of the Bottoms Up Club, for example.

Indeed, All Time High is a great tune. I sometimes find myself humming it!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,935
    Gosh what a find: well done for recording it!
    The 8-note motif is out of sync here, for some reason. It's not like that in the album version of the song, though. Must be a problem with this specific version. A defect in the mix.

Yeah isn't that weird? It's timing is out.

Is it my imagination filling in the gaps or is there a very slight echo of Bassey singing the title line?
    I like that it is the film version with the sting at the beginning.
    Milovy wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find David Arnold's cover of the Bond theme released as a b-side to David McAlmont's 1997 single "Diamonds Are Forever"? It used to be on YouTube, but I can't find it there, or on iTunes.

Try this

Hey everyone, long-time lurker and first time poster. This thread is such a welcome find, as someone who has been trying to gather as many complete Bond soundtracks as possible over the past decade. It's great to see an ongoing discussion about the soundtracks as it got a bit dead over at the Final Fantasy Forum Shrine :(

@mattjoes Your work on the missing Goldfinger cues is exemplary! It takes a special ear to work out all the orchestral parts, notate and record them. Bravo sir and thanks so much for sharing them with us.

On the MI6 HQ site someone has noted all the cues from the film and cross-referenced them with the OST. I've made notes on the ones recorded by Matt as well as cues that have been released on other forums. The ones in bold are the ones left outstanding:
    United Artists Fanfare – has been released on other forums
    Bond Back In Action Again
    Belly Dance Source Music – Matt Joes posted
    Goldfinger (Main Title)
    Into Miami
    Hotel Source - Matt Joes posted
    Tracked Music - Enter Goldfinger (Death of Goldfinger/End Titles 1:58-approx.2:24 [fade out])
    Tracked Music - Bond, James Bond (Oddjob’s Pressing Engagement 0:06-0:26)
    The Best Place In Town – Matt Joes posted
    Golden Girl
    Excuse Oddjob, Mr. Bond - Matt Joes posted
    Planting the Tracker – Matt Joes posted
    Oddjob’s Hat - Matt Joes posted
    Alpine Drive (Alpine Drive/Auric’s Factory 0:00-1:53)
    Auric’s Factory (Alpine Drive/Auric’s Factory 1:53-4:27)
    Death of Tilly
    The Mirror – unreleased
    The Laser Beam
    Bathroom spying – has been released on other forums
    Pussy Galore’s Flying Circus
    Auric Stud – source music – unreleased
    Better Bred Than The Owner – unreleased

Teasing the Korean
    Gassing the Gangsters
    Oddjob’s Pressing Engagement (Oddjob’s Pressing Engagement 0:00-2:23)
    Felix to the Farm (Oddjob’s Pressing Engagement 2:23-3:08)
    He Wants You – has been released on other forums
    He Had A Pressing Engagement/That’s My James – unreleased
    Bond and Pussy (the barn scene) – unreleased

Dawn Raid on Fort Knox
    The Arrival of the Bomb (The Arrival of the Bomb and Countdown 0:00-1:20)
    Countdown (The Arrival of the Bomb and Countdown 1:20-3:29)
    The President Wants To Thank You Personally – unreleased
    The Death of Goldfinger (The Death of Goldfinger and End Title 0:00-1:19)
    End Title – Original Version (The Death of Goldfinger and End Title 1:19-2:34)

Matt - do you plan on recording any more of these missing cues? Can I very cheekily put in a request for the barn scene with Pussy and Bond if you are? It's one of my faves and I've always hoped to get hold of a copy of it someday.

Thanks so much again for all your work, it's greatly appreciated by us all :)
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Old but Gold. A late brazilian rapper sampled DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.

• edited January 2020 Posts: 4,023
    Hey everyone, long-time lurker and first time poster. This thread is such a welcome find, as someone who has been trying to gather as many complete Bond soundtracks as possible over the past decade. It's great to see an ongoing discussion about the soundtracks as it got a bit dead over at the Final Fantasy Forum Shrine :(

@mattjoes Your work on the missing Goldfinger cues is exemplary! It takes a special ear to work out all the orchestral parts, notate and record them. Bravo sir and thanks so much for sharing them with us.

On the MI6 HQ site someone has noted all the cues from the film and cross-referenced them with the OST. I've made notes on the ones recorded by Matt as well as cues that have been released on other forums. The ones in bold are the ones left outstanding:
    United Artists Fanfare – has been released on other forums
    Bond Back In Action Again
    Belly Dance Source Music – Matt Joes posted
    Goldfinger (Main Title)
    Into Miami
    Hotel Source - Matt Joes posted
    Tracked Music - Enter Goldfinger (Death of Goldfinger/End Titles 1:58-approx.2:24 [fade out])
    Tracked Music - Bond, James Bond (Oddjob’s Pressing Engagement 0:06-0:26)
    The Best Place In Town – Matt Joes posted
    Golden Girl
    Excuse Oddjob, Mr. Bond - Matt Joes posted
    Planting the Tracker – Matt Joes posted
    Oddjob’s Hat - Matt Joes posted
    Alpine Drive (Alpine Drive/Auric’s Factory 0:00-1:53)
    Auric’s Factory (Alpine Drive/Auric’s Factory 1:53-4:27)
    Death of Tilly
    The Mirror – unreleased
    The Laser Beam
    Bathroom spying – has been released on other forums
    Pussy Galore’s Flying Circus
    Auric Stud – source music – unreleased
    Better Bred Than The Owner – unreleased

Teasing the Korean
    Gassing the Gangsters
    Oddjob’s Pressing Engagement (Oddjob’s Pressing Engagement 0:00-2:23)
    Felix to the Farm (Oddjob’s Pressing Engagement 2:23-3:08)
    He Wants You – has been released on other forums
    He Had A Pressing Engagement/That’s My James – unreleased
    Bond and Pussy (the barn scene) – unreleased

Dawn Raid on Fort Knox
    The Arrival of the Bomb (The Arrival of the Bomb and Countdown 0:00-1:20)
    Countdown (The Arrival of the Bomb and Countdown 1:20-3:29)
    The President Wants To Thank You Personally – unreleased
    The Death of Goldfinger (The Death of Goldfinger and End Title 0:00-1:19)
    End Title – Original Version (The Death of Goldfinger and End Title 1:19-2:34)

Matt - do you plan on recording any more of these missing cues? Can I very cheekily put in a request for the barn scene with Pussy and Bond if you are? It's one of my faves and I've always hoped to get hold of a copy of it someday.

Thanks so much again for all your work, it's greatly appreciated by us all :)

@mattjoes did the Goldfinger stud farm track, and I think part of that is tracked for “That’s My James”.

Ok, the Mirror hasn’t been re-recorded by anyone. I’m waiting and hoping on that one. Meanwhile
    vzok wrote: »
    @mattjoes did the Goldfinger stud farm track, and I think part of that is tracked for “That’s My James”.

Ok, the Mirror hasn’t been re-recorded by anyone. I’m waiting and hoping on that one. Meanwhile

Hey @vzok, thanks so much for the Mirror - that'll do nicely on my Goldfinger playlist for the time being :)

I've looked back on this thread and the link to the Stud Farm cue is dead. Would you mind re-posting it please?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

This is stunning, by the way! :)
    mtm wrote: »

This is stunning, by the way! :)

i hope @mattjoes is able to do some more of these tracks in the future
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    How did he do that trumpet solo bit; if that's actually transcribed from the film that's pretty amazing :)
  • FullMontyNornanFullMontyNornan Tucson AZ USA
    Wonderful cue. Why wasn't THIS on the extended Goldfinger CD. Lukas Kendall of then, Film Score Monthly did the extended versions in 2003. I'd say ask him over at FSM.com but he'd just get defensive.
    I too loooooove the dirty guitar; it suits/reflects the more raunchy elements of the film, like the inclusion of the Bottoms Up Club, for example.
    Indeed it does.

Is it my imagination filling in the gaps or is there a very slight echo of Bassey singing the title line?
    At the beginning, yes. That's because the audio I recorded came from a Spanish dub, and the announcer read the title of the film in Spanish. I had to remove that, so I replaced it with the rear channels of the 5.1 audio track of the film. Unfortunately, Shirley Bassey's voice can still be heard there. It's not possible to get a 100% vocal-less version from the 5.1 track.

Yes, I'll recreate all the remaining cues. I was taking a break, but I'll get working on it again.

Just a MIDI file, though. I'll give it the full treatment in some time. (@Bond_Scores, have the MIDI in the meantime: https://mega.nz/file/dVoTgLAR#Jsq62NoojHQvAFP9aA6DTMG5puFx8cCYwH-p8YsMrUE)

From what I recall, there's no tracked music in That's My James. It contains some similar musical material to the Auric Stud track, but it appears to be its own recording.

How did he do that trumpet solo bit; if that's actually transcribed from the film that's pretty amazing :)
    It wasn't that difficult, but it was definitely tedious!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    At the beginning, yes. That's because the audio I recorded came from a Spanish dub, and the announcer read the title of the film in Spanish. I had to remove that, so I replaced it with the rear channels of the 5.1 audio track of the film. Unfortunately, Shirley Bassey's voice can still be heard there. It's not possible to get a 100% vocal-less version from the 5.1 track.

Oh wow, nicely done.
    It wasn't that difficult, but it was definitely tedious!

Good effort! :D

Good to hear these cues are still being worked on. They are much appreciated on my playlists. Hope you are doing ok where you are @mattjoes
    Good to hear these cues are still being worked on. They are much appreciated on my playlists. Hope you are doing ok where you are @mattjoes

I'm doing fine, @vzok. Hope you are too!