Official NTTD Poster Thread

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Going back, there's a history of simple (but sometimes very effective) poster designs for the Bond films. The GE one posted by @GertGettler above, the Craig era ones of course, but also other ones. Examples in the spoiler tag:
    james_bond_teaser_posters_the_spy_who_loved_me1.jpg
    james_bond_teaser_poster_octopussy_1.jpg
    james_bond_teaser_posters_octopussy_2.jpg
    james_bond_teaser_posters_the_living_daylights_2_and_3_us_and_uk.png
    james_bond_teaser_posters_licence_to_kill.jpg
    james_bond_teaser_posters_tomorrow_never_dies.jpg
    james_bond_teaser_posters_the_world_is_not_enough.jpg
    IMG_97531-482x357.jpg

I also came across this poster, which I believe was just an unused concept. Look at the font! :-D

james_bond_teaser_posters_on_her_majestys_secret_service_bond_and_bride_concept.jpg

Nice find, @Torgeirtrap

That unused OHMSS one is very cool.

They're all vastly superior to the new one though, to my eyes.

Oh, I definitely agree. A different image (possibly with Craig holding the PPK) would have made people more forgiving I guess. There's also a sense of danger with those other posters, which the NTTD one unfortunately doesn't display.

Absolutely. The Dalton ones are probably the closest to NTTD in terms of Bond in front of dominant colour and a contrasting colour for the title making it more prominent.

But damn, Dalton really sells that look in both. Do not mess with that guy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @GertGettler I don’t think it’s the simplicity of the concept that people are taking issue with, it’s the “cheapness” of it. When I first saw the poster, I was immediately reminded of fan art, not because the poster was overly simple or boring (in fact the SP teaser is one of my favourites), but because it very clearly looks like an on-set photo with the logo (which is far too large) slapped on top. All the other posters had a polished quality and professional level of detail to them and images of Bond made for the specific purpose of the teaser. For a film of this scale, there’s an expectation of a certain level of care and attention paid to them, and this looks a lot like a fan found a cool “Bond on Set” photo and made a fan art of it.

I’m not sure why Greg Williams made the poster this time around instead of Empire Design, but I hope the following posters go back to a house that specializes in posters. EON isn’t going to “nail it” every single time, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with not being happy with the product if it appears to be below the usual standard.

Teaser posters are cheap and simplistic.

In a way the NTTD teaser poster reminds me of this one:
    james_bond_teaser_posters_goldeneye1.jpg

Also simplistic, perhaps even rather 'cheap'. The big difference however was: Back in 1995 Bond fans were, even after a 6 year hiatus, way more patient. They accepted what they were given and were looking forward for what was being brought on offer to us. Nowadays however society is invested with social media, Ttwitter and all its negative side effects, including the fact we don't accept things more easily as back in 1995. 'We' have become nagging, little dictators in disguise when it comes to what we want from movies.

Maybe I exaggerate a bit. But that's how I feel. Accept the NTTD-teaser, or at least try to 'learn' to like it (which I did with classical music for example). And then move on. The end.

This is really unnecessarily antagonistic. You don't have to post like this.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,951
    Going back, there's a history of simple (but sometimes very effective) poster designs for the Bond films. The GE one posted by @GertGettler above, the Craig era ones of course, but also other ones. Examples in the spoiler tag:
    IMG_97531-482x357.jpg

I also came across this poster, which I believe was just an unused concept. Look at the font! :-D

james_bond_teaser_posters_on_her_majestys_secret_service_bond_and_bride_concept.jpg

Ha! Great spot on the font! :)

There's not much wrong with that LTK one, is there? Great shot, really nicely cropped. LTK gets flak for bad publicity all the time but that's a cracker. I loved those Brosnans at the time too and they still look good, if slightly dated, but that's just the way it goes. The photography is at least top notch.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,280
    IMG_97531-482x357.jpg

Nice find, @Torgeirtrap

That unused OHMSS one is very cool.

They're all vastly superior to the new one though, to my eyes.

Oh, I definitely agree. A different image (possibly with Craig holding the PPK) would have made people more forgiving I guess. There's also a sense of danger with those other posters, which the NTTD one unfortunately doesn't display.

Absolutely. The Dalton ones are probably the closest to NTTD in terms of Bond in front of dominant colour and a contrasting colour for the title making it more prominent.

But damn, Dalton really sells that look in both. Do not mess with that guy.

Indeed! They made good use of Dalton's stare in these (have a Bond ever looked as intense?). I actually think they could've got away with just displaying Dalton'd face + the title!
    mtm wrote: »
    IMG_97531-482x357.jpg

Ha! Great spot on the font! :)

There's not much wrong with that LTK one, is there? Great shot, really nicely cropped. LTK gets flak for bad publicity all the time but that's a cracker. I loved those Brosnans at the time too and they still look good, if slightly dated, but that's just the way it goes. The photography is at least top notch.

Agree. The LTK one doesn't need anything more, IMO. This other one on the other hand; Dalton looks ten years older here!

914YrSCmgvL._SY445_.jpg

The Brosnan ones (at least some of them) do look slightly dated now. For me I think it's partly because of the fonts (and the way they're displayed), some of the effects used, and the fact that I personally find anything 90's to date badly. They're still cool though!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,951
    The Brosnan ones (at least some of them) does look slightly dated now. For me I think it's partly because of the fonts (and the way they're displayed), some of the effects used, and the fact that I personally find anything 90's to date badly. They're still cool though!

They do look dated, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Tastes move on.

The NTTD poster is still bugging me though. I've tried playing with the composition; I'm sure there's a way to fix it but I don't know if I've found it yet! I love the typography though so I wonder if making it even bigger is bad.

NTTD2psd-copy2.jpg
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    The Brosnan ones (at least some of them) does look slightly dated now. For me I think it's partly because of the fonts (and the way they're displayed), some of the effects used, and the fact that I personally find anything 90's to date badly. They're still cool though!

The NTTD poster is still bugging me though. I've tried playing with the composition; I'm sure there's a way to fix it but I don't know if I've found it yet! I love the typography though so I wonder if making it even bigger is bad.

I tried ;)

Slide1.png

Yes, tastes indeed changes. It does make it interesting to look back at these posters though, and how they very much were a product of their time.

NTTD2psd-copy2.jpg

Interesting. I have no issue with the way the original poster is cropped (unless they've deliberately cut out anything that would've made the poster better!), but as you see with the translated titles – there's a case for making the title slightly smaller, IMO. Then again, they did go big with the title reveal, having Craig walking alongside some very large letters. With that in mind, the large title logo on the poster kind of makes sense.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans

I tried ;)

Slide1.png

A little too much re-touching on the face, but this is awesome and a tremendous improvement.
    This is Bond, armed, dangerous and dressed to kill
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Thank you. Had to use that pic from CR, but I would have had Craig with the bow tie done and with that look on his face
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I must be one of the very few who don't mind the teaser poster as is.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Benny wrote: »
    I must be one of the very few who don't mind the teaser poster as is.
    I'm very happy with it :) Althouh still attempted some tweaks. Would be interested to hear people's thoughts, although this would be the fourth time I've posted these posters and no-one seems to care hahaha :D

ddhr298-d46c7584-79d7-4667-b992-944efa6faf7f.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2NkNWQwOTM4LWY2M2YtNDUyZi04ZTk5LTc3M2QwYWUzMTEzNlwvZGRocjI5OC1kNDZjNzU4NC03OWQ3LTQ2NjctYjk5Mi05NDRlZmE2ZmFmN2YuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.bCPxR5BVu7VyuVR_VaJRPXLXL5stLZsgYEB9SXAkqos ddhr2bb-3deaab64-848e-4227-b5fe-258236a6fb97.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2NkNWQwOTM4LWY2M2YtNDUyZi04ZTk5LTc3M2QwYWUzMTEzNlwvZGRocjJiYi0zZGVhYWI2NC04NDhlLTQyMjctYjVmZS0yNTgyMzZhNmZiOTcuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.-06GHkUMICvp-ghNsuJbWVITEd-z48oHOwnzy1vvdlE

That TWINE poster is pretty timeless if you ask me. A cracking teaser poster with a clever, eye catching design. Remember seeing it fondly outside the local cinema for the first time.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

That TWINE poster is pretty timeless if you ask me. A cracking teaser poster with a clever, eye catching design. Remember seeing it fondly outside the local cinema for the first time.
    Agreed.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,441
    How poster can look like in Dutch street promotion. (With possible option there wil release movie 2 days earlier on Thuesday to make more money and one day after red carped premiere with fames people wil be on that Monday 30 March 2020 ;) )

NTTD-fanart-poster.png

If there going to option to buy the teaserposter (what not going to happen i think), as always prefer no release date but mabey this time not even comingsoon. Mabey only studio logo's as above or cast/crew credits.
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    talos7 wrote: »

I tried ;)

Slide1.png

A little too much re-touching on the face, but this is awesome and a tremendous improvement.

Not quite. This is Bond yes. But it's the Bond from 13 years ago. The Bond that started as a rough, blunt assassin. The Bond that was not really the Bond we all have in our minds now. It was the rebooted Bond. As shown in CR and QOS.

With all due respect @talos7, but it's 2019 now. The Bond witnessed at the end of SF and during SP was still pretty violent, but it was also the more experienced, charming, slightly more funny, grown-up Bond. The Bond that presented 'M' in the London Hildebrand safe house with the facts. The Bond that called 'M' Sir. The Bond that was more friendlier towards women. The Bond in which we saw a shimmer of respect for authority.

Hence I still go 200% for the official NTTD tease poster, and not mock-ups that we saw before some 13 years ago and that fully ignore how our wonderful Daniel Craig is the only Bond-actor who showed serious, realistic, human character development throughout his reign. A real person so to say, whose changes in behaviour and traits were executed through interesting, not always perfect, writing and tremendous acting. Hence I love the official teaser poster of an aged Bond, with no photoshopped details, and in full tuxedo. And I do not like that fan art that shows the Bond that's already gone.

I tried ;)

Slide1.png

A pose similar to this with a current Craig would be pretty great.

I tried ;)

Slide1.png

Not quite. This is Bond yes. But it's the Bond from 13 years ago. The Bond that started as a rough, blunt assassin. The Bond that was not really the Bond we all have in our minds now. It was the rebooted Bond. As shown in CR and QOS.

With all due respect @talos7, but it's 2019 now. The Bond witnessed at the end of SF and during SP was still pretty violent, but it was also the more experienced, charming, slightly more funny, grown-up Bond. The Bond that presented 'M' in the London Hildebrand safe house with the facts. The Bond that called 'M' Sir. The Bond that was more friendlier towards women. The Bond in which we saw a shimmer of respect for authority.

Hence I still go 200% for the official NTTD tease poster, and not mock-ups that we saw before some 13 years ago and that fully ignore how our wonderful Daniel Craig is the only Bond-actor who showed serious, realistic, human character development throughout his reign. A real person so to say, whose changes in behaviour and traits were executed through interesting, not always perfect, writing and tremendous acting. Hence I love the official teaser poster of an aged Bond, with no photoshopped details, and in full tuxedo. And I do not like that fan art that shows the Bond that's already gone.

Well we see this differently. Yes Bond is older and has been through a great deal, but he is still Bond and should look confident, determined and dangerous; the expression on Daniel’s face in this poster is none of those things; he looks unsure, trepidatious and lacking the look of someone licensed to kill.
    Let's agree to disagree.
    👍🏼
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2019 Posts: 1,165

I tried ;)

Slide1.png

Well we see this differently. Yes Bond is older and has been through a great deal, but he is still Bond and should look confident, determined and dangerous; the expression on Daniel’s face in this poster is none of those things; he looks unsure, trepidatious and lacking the look of someone licensed to kill.

You're pigeonholing the franchise a little bit there... Unsure? Trepidatious? Lacking the look of someone licenced to kill? For all we know, that's the point, and feeds directly into the theme of NTTD.
    Minion wrote: »

I tried ;)

Slide1.png

You're pigeonholing the franchise a little bit there... Unsure? Trepidatious? Lacking the look of someone licenced to kill? For all we know, that's the point, and feeds directly into the theme of NTTD.

Even if that turns out to be true, a good poster it does not make.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 7,976
    Minion wrote: »

I tried ;)

Slide1.png

All of that may be true, but this poster is announcing the return of an iconic character. It deserves an iconic image that conveys not only the core of the characters makeup but the fantasy that he represents, women want to be with him, men want to be him...... and it’s not because of his emotional angst.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2019 Posts: 16,330
    women want to be with him, men want to be him...... and it’s not because of his emotional angst.

A-freaking-men! Post of the week.
    I think we guys see too much in teaser posters. It's a 't.e.a.s.e.r.'. My above examples show we really ought to cool down a bit. Are we on steroïds here?

A teaser poster can still be designed creatively decent though, as opposed to a 6 year old learning how to use Microsoft Paint for the very first time.

Exaggerating much?

Ok, 7 year old then.
    I think we guys see too much in teaser posters. It's a 't.e.a.s.e.r.'. My above examples show we really ought to cool down a bit. Are we on steroïds here?

A teaser poster can still be designed creatively decent though, as opposed to a 6 year old learning how to use Microsoft Paint for the very first time.

Exaggerating much?

Ok, 7 year old then.

It's a pity you don't like the teaser (I don't either), but comments like "…as opposed to a 6 year old learning how to use Microsoft Paint for the very first time." is just silly.

I'll refer to @AgentM72 's post on the production thread; it's worth a read:
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    As it happens, I work for a design agency who principally handles large, corporate clients and campaigns. I've seen more than a few posts today slamming the agency behind the NTTD poster, so I thought I'd interject some context (if anyone's interested).
    • It's impossible to know what the agency's level of....well, "agency" is here. Every client is different. EON could be a client who provides a VERY specific creative brief the agency is forced to stick to, or could be more open-minded collaborators who give them free reign to experiment.
    • Even *if* EON is the latter, that doesn't mean they aren't also very prescriptive based on the options they're presented. It's not uncommon for an agency to do the major initial push on a project, only to have the client dictate specifically (and differently) what they want at a later/final stage -- a change of mind that essentially becomes a change of project.
    • I'm personally (and subjectively) seeing some clear high-level intention behind the strategy here, but we don't know if that came from EON or was the agency's idea.
    • In terms of tactical execution, I understand some of the (valid) criticisms people have...but again, without knowing what was in that strategic creative brief, we can't know where the line is between agency and client input.
    • I assure you nothing about this would have been "thrown together" quickly -- there would have been dozens, if not hundreds of drafts of this worked on. Not all necessarily presented to the client, but there would have been deep discussions and reasonings around why this was considered the best option.

Personally: I think the "meh" reaction comes down to three factors.
    • Creatively, this is by far the most in media res poster of Craig's era and very, very narratively minimalist at first glance. That's not at all what we're used to. We're used to stylized, heightened-reality designs that offer an almost-meta positioning for the film itself. Glamour shots, essentially. So something this direct is bound to feel like a bit of a blunt instrument.
    • Purely from an art direction perspective, it (knowingly) sacrifices atmosphere for authenticity. Contrast it with the original CR teaser, for example: Strategically, they're actually not that different in terms of approach. But whereas that glorious CR teaser absolutely revels in the vibe it's creating, the NTTD instead presents its subject as a fleeting, desperately captured moment instead of a staged one. Funnily enough, it's a little more approximate of Craig's take on Bond -- but that doesn't necessarily lead to more exciting poster, for some.
    • We've all been waiting for official NTTD material for so long that our preset expectations were through the roof and anything short of that original CR teaser's engrossing impact was bound to feel like a letdown -- I hope the first trailer doesn't suffer from the same thing, actually.

Sorry that turned into a blog post. But it's just some fun food for thought. :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    M_Balje wrote: »
    How poster can look like in Dutch street promotion. (With possible option there wil release movie 2 days earlier on Thuesday to make more money and one day after red carped premiere with fames people wil be on that Monday 30 March 2020 ;) )

NTTD-fanart-poster.png

If there going to option to buy the teaserposter (what not going to happen i think), as always prefer no release date but mabey this time not even comingsoon. Mabey only studio logo's as above or cast/crew credits.

I think that’s better!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

NTTD2psd-copy2.jpg

I've seen that typography somewhere before! :))
    Screen-shot-2014-06-01-at-7-57-10-PM.png
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    I really like the teaser poster. The level of analysis is beyond obsessive. A bit sad really. I think this film will set the bar for future installments. I have faith in Cary and company.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I really like the teaser poster. The level of analysis is beyond obsessive. A bit sad really.

Not really; some of us are just interested in design. It's okay if you're not.
    I really like the teaser poster. The level of analysis is beyond obsessive. A bit sad really. I think this film will set the bar for future installments. I have faith in Cary and company.

Indeed.