Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    zebrafish wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

Excellent, it seems that the future of ST is guaranteed. I hope that ST:Picard will be the antidote to ST:Discovery, which for me fails on several levels.

I think season 2 of ST:DSC started really well. With more exploration episodes at the start. But in the end it felt like a giant "Avengers"-film with too much complex narrative exposition, too much focus on only one character (Michael Burnham) and really too much focus on explosive action, death-themes and special effects.

What I need is "Star Trek" focusing more on human themes, on better development of a cast of team characters (DSC barely developed the other individual characters in a more streamlined, well-dosed way), on true positive themes, like space exploration and difficult messages that question our own way of life.

ST:PIC mightjust do that better...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    talos7 wrote: »

Excellent, it seems that the future of ST is guaranteed. I hope that ST:Picard will be the antidote to ST:Discovery, which for me fails on several levels.

I think season 2 of ST:DSC started really well. With more exploration episodes at the start. But in the end it felt like a giant "Avengers"-film with too much complex narrative exposition, too much focus on only one character (Michael Burnham) and really too much focus on explosive action, death-themes and special effects.

What I need is "Star Trek" focusing more on human themes, on better development of a cast of team characters (DSC barely developed the other individual characters in a more streamlined, well-dosed way), on true positive themes, like space exploration and difficult messages that question our own way of life.

ST:PIC mightjust do that better...

For those who prefer the Captain Picard - helmed Enterprise over action-heavy-save-the-Universe Discovery I recommend season 2 of "The Orville". It has everything that ST:TNG had and is so much more fun than Discovery.

• BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    I've got tickets booked to a cinema screening of Star Trek II in November. CANNOT WAIT.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    BondStu wrote: »
    I've got tickets booked to a cinema screening of Star Trek II in November. CANNOT WAIT.

One of my favorite films of all time, never had the chance to watch it on the big screen
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns are you in the UK?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    BondStu wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns are you in the UK?

I am mate is that where you are watching it?
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns - check out the Showcase Cinemas website. I don't know if you have one of those near you or not but they're showing it as part of the Flashback season they do. I don't think it's just in my local one, I think it's at Showcases nationwide.

Check it out and good luck!
    Expected a trailer for today? Here it is:
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Now THAT is Star Trek!

Yes, Data does look a little dodgy but I can overlook it. Engage!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I certainly liked that a lot. I also love the nod to the TOS Romulan ships too.
    Awesome can't wait, personally I am viewing this as mini Next Gen movies rather than compare it to the TV show, hurry up 2020
    Expected a trailer for today? Here it is:

This looks fantastic!!!! :-bd
    New trailer looks incredible.
    What makes me even more happy than this trailer is that it will be on amazon prime, which means I can watch it in Germany :-)!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Re-configuring DISCO to the concept of 23rd century crew members trying to restore the Federation of the far future seems like a solid concept, perhaps exactly where the show should have gone in the first place. Also digging Burnham's new look.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Noah Hawley to write & direct the next Star Trek installment. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban and Zoe Saldana are expected to return.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/noah-hawley-star-trek-1203409795/
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Good choice. FARGO was pretty amazing.
    I wonder if the cast took pay cuts, I assumed rebooted Star Trek 4 was dead in the water.
    „This will serve as the fourth movie in the cinematic series, and is separate from another “Star Trek” pic that Paramount is developing with Quentin Tarantino producing and Mark L. Smith writing.“

Say what?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This is excellent news! I was hoping they would make another after Beyond. The cast finally hit their stride.
    Great news as I really enjoy these new batch of Star Trek movies!!! :-bd
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Noah Hawley to write & direct the next Star Trek installment. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban and Zoe Saldana are expected to return.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/noah-hawley-star-trek-1203409795/

This is excellent news. I truly like the "new" crew; these people have grown in their parts. I want more Trek with them.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Very much agreed @DarthDimi. I really enjoyed the 3 Trek films of the 2009 timeline. And as you say, this current crew really works well together. Similar feelings towards the Mission Impossible and the Fast & Furious franchises, I could watch 10 more films from both with their respective casts.
    Star Trek: Picard Season 1, Episode 1 It was great to catch up with Jean Luc, I am intrigued to see where this goes. There were some good call backs and a bonkers last scene.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 5,767
    Saw Ep 1 today. The big question is, will Number One join Picard in space?

I´m not sure: Is it me getting older and nostalgic, or is Patrick Steward simply such a force of nature?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Saw Ep 1 today. The big question is, will Number One join Picard in space?

I´m not sure: Is it me getting older and nostalgic, or is Patrick Steward simply such a force of nature?

DATA had spot so there is a good chance number one will be in space, and I expect a number one meets number one scene.

Even at 80 + Patrick Stewart still has it, there were moments when his tone of voice changed and the old (youthful) Picard was still there.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I enjoyed that; it was nicely done.