No Time to Die production thread

Comments

00Agent wrote: »
    giphy.webp

But no, really, no one cares.
    You've only been here a couple weeks, whining non stop about nomi being 007.
    It will be hard to loose such a valuable member...

I see, James Bond is happy in the background, too.
    Good bye, and enjoy the movie.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Sani wrote: »
    giphy.webp

I see, James Bond is happy in the background, too.

lol, good one.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Part of me kinda hopes that EON did this intentionally as a big F you to all the people telling them what they should do with the franchise.

I'm not telling them what they shoul do.
    I'm saying that if they do that, I won't watch this movie because I hate this idea.
    That's my sin.
    Then it seems you’re probably gonna be missing Bond 25, and you’re side of future discussions will be redundant because you won’t have even seen it :)

Yes, it's likely that after 24 years, my James Bond fan status will end.
    And to everyone's delight, from now I won't write here. :)

giphy.webp

Yes.

Considerably.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,343
    I don't see any problems in @Sani opinions. He just hates the idea of someone else portraying the agent 007, since you know, those movies are about Ian Fleming's James Bond 007. So I understand him. It's fair opinion. In the world, James Bond is associated to 007. The fact that EoN choose a black woman to "replace" him as the 00 agent, sounds even more outrageous from his perspective, since you know, sounds like a choice, as he sees things, driven by propaganda. I understands it, maybe he's even right, maybe Lynch choice was driven by both her talent and her color of skin - given the endless narrative about "It's time to a black Bond" - and this doesn't make him a racist. But I don't agree.

After 24 movies I like this Nomi idea. I think EoN found a smart way to throw a bone to all the "black Bond / Elba / female Bond" annoying narrative without destroying what makes Bond, Bond to most of the people. Nomi looks like a cool, tough character and honestly, after Bond quitted in SP, makes perfect sense to replace him with someone else at MI6. I think this brand new dynamic could create exciting good situations throughout the film. So I'm fine and excited to see what this groundbreaking event of Bond not being 007 in the film will bring, keeping in mind that obviously James Bond will be the main protagonist and the hero of NTTD. Something that throughout the web some people tend to forget.

The only thing that I worry a little is related to the finale. Will Bond die / supposedly die / quit again and the Craig era will wrap up with someone else, aka Nomi, as 007? That's something I don't like, on paper, especially in this era filled with the anxiety of "world building" franchise, but I obviously want to see the final product before making any statement.
    Cary Fukunaga seems to have built up quite the friendship with the cast, and that can only make the film better.

Well Billy is the only actor in the film who had previously worked with Cary, he stars in Maniac.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I've been thinking about the DB5 Matera car chase. It has to be the best car chase of the Craig era. I hope Fukunaga and co. realise that. None of the Craig car chases so far have been entirely satisfying so this really has to deliver.

CR car chase: great stunt at the end but otherwise too short and uneventful to consider it a real car chase.

QOS car chase: easily the best one of the Craig era so far, but it's horribly edited.

SP car chase: too slow, zero excitement. A total dud.

I can't disagree with any of this @PanchitoPistoles
    QOS is great but the editing is terrible. SP is lifeless, and very boring. It's as if no-one lives in Rome. No-one on the roads late at night.
    From the footage we've seen of NTTD, it's hopeful that the car chase is Craig's best.
    Benny wrote: »
    I've been thinking about the DB5 Matera car chase. It has to be the best car chase of the Craig era. I hope Fukunaga and co. realise that. None of the Craig car chases so far have been entirely satisfying so this really has to deliver.

CR car chase: great stunt at the end but otherwise too short and uneventful to consider it a real car chase.

QOS car chase: easily the best one of the Craig era so far, but it's horribly edited.

QOS is great but the editing is terrible. SP is lifeless, and very boring. It's as if no-one lives in Rome. No-one on the roads late at night.
    From the footage we've seen of NTTD, it's hopeful that the car chase is Craig's best.

I lived in Rome and I can assure you that at after midnight - when the chase takes place - the historical center is really almost that empty. At least 5 years ago. It's like wandering in an open air museum. Everything is closed. No cars. I often walked around Vatican, I believe was 1 AM, and it was surreal.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    matt_u wrote: »

I lived in Rome and I can assure you that at after midnight - when the chase takes place - the historical center is really almost that empty. At least 5 years ago. It's like wandering in an open air museum. Everything is closed. No cars. I often walked around Vatican, I believe was 1 AM, and it was surreal.

And now the reasoning behind all the complaints will change from "too unrealistic" to "too realistic" . Thanks for pointing out the truth.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I wonder which scene this is ;)

I wonder which scene this is ;)

Foot chase? :-D
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited September 2019 Posts: 3,157

Yep, my Roman friends confirmed this.

And now the reasoning behind all the complaints will change from "too unrealistic" to "too realistic" . Thanks for pointing out the truth.
    Walecs wrote: »

Yep, my Romanian friends confirmed this.

;)

Never been a super fan of that chase, but I like the metaphysical quality that nighty Rome has in those scenes.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,043

If that is indeed true then maybe I need to revise my take on the chase by criticizing it for being unrealistic.

Though again this is a Bond film when all said and done and realism isn't top of my list with what to expect.

Bond is preposterous nonsense at the best of times and it is one of the reasons we love it.

Though that chase was championed as being something very special, possibly the authorities objecting to something more punishing on ancient Rome played into this but there is no reason it couldn't have been recreated in Pinewood and all the potentially damning moments shot there.

Also, Matera is a Unesco site, as someone who has seen first hand and I've said this before it's one extraordinary experience to witness like I'm sure you @matt_u and our NTTD on set reporter @slyfox can testify to?

Yet is seems from what we've seen they aren't actually going light on things, we are seeing footage akin to Ronin.

I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch but Bond has never really had a car/bike chase that would rank it up with the greats but maybe just maybe this Matera sequence will change that.

All being said and done the SPECTRE Rome chase like most of the action sequences in the film bar the PTS is just souless and plain dull.

Cary & the others' Instagram game is on point - really brilliant decision from EON's publicity to let him and the likes of Magnussen out loose on there, especially with actual production-related stuff. Instagram seems like the perfect fit as a platform for Bond...
  • Walecs wrote: »

Does not surprise me......London is the same, in fact.

I've missed my last train and had to walk around at like 3pm/4pm and central London on a weekend and it's a ghost town. It's such an odd feeling being alone on Oxford Street. Feels like you're on another planet.

In fact, the city of London (which is alive during the working week) is dead quiet during the weekends. Even in the morning and afternoons. They close all the shops and everything - you'll struggle to find an open Sainsburys. It's like 28 Days Later.

If the Rome chase is supposed to take place at like 2-3am during a weekday, then it makes sense for it to be that derelict.

I've missed my last train and had to walk around at like 3pm/4pm and central London on a weekend and it's a ghost town. It's such an odd feeling being alone on Oxford Street. Feels like you're on another planet.

In fact, the city of London (which is alive during the working week) is dead quiet during the weekends. Even in the morning and afternoons. They close all the shops and everything - you'll struggle to find an open Sainsburys. It's like 28 Days Later.

If the Rome chase is supposed to take place at like 2-3am during a weekday, then it makes sense for it to be that derelict.

Either way, it still makes it a dull chase.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

Either way, it still makes it a dull chase.

Yeah it's nothing special.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2019 Posts: 10,512

My understanding is that they’re throwing everything at this. I still think there will be complaints as this will blend the rough and tumble of QoS with a dash of the fanciful, but based on what I heard a while back, and from what I’ve seen, this feels like it could be something special and up there with the best.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    RC7 wrote: »

My understanding is that they’re throwing everything at this. I still think there will be complaints as this will blend the rough and tumble of QoS with a dash of the fanciful, but based on what I heard a while back, and from what I’ve seen, this feels like it could be something special and up there with the best.
    Can't see why anyone would complain about this.
  • RC7RC7
    jake24 wrote: »

Can't see why anyone would complain about this.

You know what people are like.
    Is this likely to be the main action sequence? If so it looks fantastic from the footage we've seen. Edited together, with a score it could be amazing.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited September 2019 Posts: 7,978
    I have absolutely no problem with what they are doing with the character of Nomi' in this film; it fits in perfectly with Bond having left Mi-6. I have absolutely no problem with the character being female or black. I simply do not find her the least bit attractive. I’ll have to get past that and hopefully appreciate her acting skills and what she brings to the role.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2019 Posts: 8,087
    Yeah and the SP chase felt special based on set photos,that was going to be the showstopper. Lets not hype anything too big until we see how it gets manipulated on screen.

My confidence that things would turn out well was descimated when they revealed the title, and I still haven't gotten over that (still call it Bond 25). For me there are too many bizarre decisions being made, and the inclusion of DB5 again is very eye-rolling. Its appearing in every film now, and for me indicates a servere lack of creativity. The same problem that the title IMO. How many times do we need "die" in the title?
  • RC7RC7
    Yeah and the SP chase felt special based on set photos,that was going to be the showstopper. Lets not hype anything too big until we see how it gets manipulated on screen.

My confidence that things would turn out well was descimated when they revealed the title, and I still haven't gotten over that (still call it Bond 25). For me there are too many bizarre decisions being made, and the inclusion of DB5 again is very eye-rolling. Its appearing in every film now, and for me indicates a servere lack of creativity. The same problem that the title IMO. How many times do we need "die" in the title?

And like a silent fart...

For some people @RC7 the title will determine the overall outcome of NTTD.
    It's why DAD was such a failure. ;)
    And now, back to reality. 8-}

You should go for a drink with Sani!
  • J_Bryce777J_Bryce777 San Francisco

I was just in Rome and noticed this too late into the night/very early morning. Streets were completely empty. I actually thought of the Spectre car chase.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy

Yep, my Roman friends confirmed this.

Well, i live in Rome and i can confirm that, except for the weekend, it is like that late at night, both in the centre and in the part of the city that is featured in the first leg of the chase.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 4,619

Come on! Can one really not write anything negative about what we have heard and seen of NTTD so far without getting insulted? I have to agree with @Mendes4Lyfe , the title is lazy and the umpeenth return of the DB5 is uninspiring. (The end of Skyfall should have been the end of the DB5 in the Bond franchise.) Doesn't mean the chace scene won't be great, but I would have much rather seen the V8 Vantage even in Matera.

EDIT: I cannot tell you how much I hate what they have done with the DB5 in the Craig era!! First he wins it in the Bahamas. Great! Bond won a DB5! It's his personal car! Then in SF the wheel is suddenly on the other side and the car has been outfitted with weapons from the 1960s!! WTF?! Okay, the car blows up, it's a big scene that's supposed to have weight. But no, the car is back in SP without any scratch. Q completely fixing the car entirely undermines the impact of that scene in SF when the car blows up. Not only that, Q is reprimanding Bond for destroying the car?!?! It's Bond's personal car, you obnoxious nerd!! It is not MI6 property!!
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    Part of me kinda hopes that EON did this intentionally as a big F you to all the people telling them what they should do with the franchise.

I'm not telling them what they shoul do.
    I'm saying that if they do that, I won't watch this movie because I hate this idea.
    That's my sin.
    Then it seems you’re probably gonna be missing Bond 25, and you’re side of future discussions will be redundant because you won’t have even seen it :)

Yes, it's likely that after 24 years, my James Bond fan status will end.
    And to everyone's delight, from now I won't write here. :)

People like you probably are part of the neo-orthodox branch of the Bond-fandom that were basically grilling Lashana Lynch, p*&%#ng over her head, because they thought they had the 'truth' in their hands about Bond. I tell you this: there's no need to mention in here that you have found your moment where you break ranks and stop being a fan. Do it silently. As perhaps you never were a real Bond fan after all.