No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited September 2019 Posts: 2,598
    Yes, Spectre definitely also should have had more dialogue to aid in plot development.

Yes, the problem in the Craig and Brosnan era, although certainly to a lesser extent in the Craig era, thank god, is that it seemed like everyone were comedians and not just Bond.
    Bounine wrote: »
    "Hopefully NTTD will provide Craig (and the others) a bit of "meaty" dialogue. It makes for a better movie experience, IMO."

I've hoped for the same thing since Goldeneye and I've always been disappointed. I won't be getting my hopes up but here's hoping... :)

It was a conscious choice by DC to have his Bond be less ‘talkative.’

In fact, in an interview with Sam Mendes – I think on Charlie Rose (but someone can verify) – they mention that they deliberately went through the script and cut out dialogue when on set.

They wanted his Bond to be colder, more calculated and menacing. A lot of Craig’s performance boils down to the introspective and more quiet moments. That’s what I love about his Bond.

It isn’t about reams of dialogue. A performance is not dictated by how much dialogue you have…………..Craig has given Bond a complex internal life, and he’s done it without dialogue.

I don't want Bond emoting about his 'soul' again. Daniel Craig is a terrific actor and - like all great screen actors - can do a lot with a glance. Lesser actors need copious dialogue to convey character and emotion.

I think this is one of the reasons this approach worked not so well in "SPECTRE". To me Daniel Craig still had this introspective atmosphere surrounding him, while at the same time Mendes wanted to add more circumstantial light-hearted comedy. The reason this comedy-element to me didn't work is because the humour should have come from Daniel Craig himself, from his lines alone. On top of that, the absence of dialogue also resulted in a film that was devoid of logical explanations for certain actions. It was all...gone...and we had to guess. SP would really have worked better if Daniel Craig would have given more lines. And not only him, but also Christoph Waltz.

My guess is that Phoebe Waller-Bridge changed this.

Yes, Spectre definitely also should have had more dialogue to aid in plot development.

The problem in the Brosnan era is that it seems like almost everyone are comedians and not just Bond.

The humour in Spectre doesn't suit Craig.
    delfloria wrote: »
    I felt that way after it turned out that Bond and Blofeld were foster brothers but I'll drag myself out to see NTTD.
    talos7 wrote: »
    If Bond ends up being the new M , sending off the new, black female 007 on a mission, I will not see the film.

Apologies but I'm not a fan of this idea at all. I would be incredibly surprised if this happened.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Seems like MGM Studios in Los Angeles have this painted. But where? 007-exhibition if I understand it right

oafHtdg.jpg

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

Yes, the problem in the Craig and Brosnan era, although certainly to a lesser extent in the Craig era, thank god, is that it seemed like everyone were comedians and not just Bond.
    "Hopefully NTTD will provide Craig (and the others) a bit of "meaty" dialogue. It makes for a better movie experience, IMO."

I've hoped for the same thing since Goldeneye and I've always been disappointed. I won't be getting my hopes up but here's hoping... :)

It was a conscious choice by DC to have his Bond be less ‘talkative.’

In fact, in an interview with Sam Mendes – I think on Charlie Rose (but someone can verify) – they mention that they deliberately went through the script and cut out dialogue when on set.

They wanted his Bond to be colder, more calculated and menacing. A lot of Craig’s performance boils down to the introspective and more quiet moments. That’s what I love about his Bond.

It isn’t about reams of dialogue. A performance is not dictated by how much dialogue you have…………..Craig has given Bond a complex internal life, and he’s done it without dialogue.

I don't want Bond emoting about his 'soul' again. Daniel Craig is a terrific actor and - like all great screen actors - can do a lot with a glance. Lesser actors need copious dialogue to convey character and emotion.

I think this is one of the reasons this approach worked not so well in "SPECTRE". To me Daniel Craig still had this introspective atmosphere surrounding him, while at the same time Mendes wanted to add more circumstantial light-hearted comedy. The reason this comedy-element to me didn't work is because the humour should have come from Daniel Craig himself, from his lines alone. On top of that, the absence of dialogue also resulted in a film that was devoid of logical explanations for certain actions. It was all...gone...and we had to guess. SP would really have worked better if Daniel Craig would have given more lines. And not only him, but also Christoph Waltz.

My guess is that Phoebe Waller-Bridge changed this.

The problem in the Brosnan era is that it seems like almost everyone are comedians and not just Bond.

The humour in Spectre doesn't suit Craig.

I agree, it sounded forced.

A good combination of SF & CR humour would be sweet. ~O)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Lol at everyone still thinking their opinion is fact. Again, just because you don’t want something to happen, doesn’t mean it’s not going to. I’m looking at you Nomi-haters, and to be honest if you don’t see the film, it’s not skin off any of our noses, so you enjoy being overly stubborn and close minded about a film you haven’t even seen yet.

...although I must say I’m not a fan of this whole Bond becoming the new M idea or theory, but it’s got nothing to do with a black female 007, I just think it wouldn’t fit with Craig’s Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wouldn t Bond be called B?
    Denbigh wrote: »
    you Nomi-haters.
    I'm not Nomi-hater.
    I don't know her character, nor do you.
    I'm Nomi 007-hater.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    If Bond ends up being the new M , sending off the new, black female 007 on a mission, I will not see the film.

Where does that even come from?

Besides, that "badass" Lashana pic doesn't even proof that she'll be DA FEMALE 007 (imho). She might just be send to save them.

This is all getting a bit out of hand. :-$

It doesn’t prove it no, but it would be quite the coincidence after the speculation and then the rumours. And to be honest I do actually think her wearing an Omega is a pretty huge clue; I’m still thinking the Aston Martin Valhalla is hers too. I would be very surprised if she isn’t 007.
    Sani wrote: »
    you Nomi-haters.
    I'm not Nomi-hater.
    I'm Nomi 007-hater.

Which is not even confirmed and could work if done right. I'd only have a problem with it if:

- Bond remains without his 00 status for almost the whole movie
    - Bond needs go get back in shape or something similar

• Check out Cary and Billy Magnussen's Instagram. Both him and Billy are in Crystal Palace Park doing a charity run.

Also, Cary has blue hair now......

2-Vintage-Troll-Dolls-Russ-Brand-Collectors-Doll-_1.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    you Nomi-haters.
    I'm not Nomi-hater.
    I'm Nomi 007-hater.
    My comment still stands. Nomi is a black female 007, which is what you don’t want and dislike, so therefore you’re a Nomi-hater... and still one even though you haven’t seen the film?? The logic has disappeared imo
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 71

For now, I can't imagine that Nomi will die in the movie.
    And I think, 007 number won't be taken away from her because James Bond is back to the MI6.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Considering no-one has seen the finished film, how can anyone comment on what Nomi's story will be.
    @Sani your posts so far seem to be confrontational and baiting. I'm not sure what you're hoping to achieve. We're all different when it comes to Bond, it's unlikely anyone is going to agree with you 100%.
    My comment still stands. Nomi is a black female 007, which is what you don’t want and dislike, so therefore you’re a Nomi-hater... and still one even though you haven’t seen the film?? The logic has disappeared imo

I like Tanner (white male), Leiter (black male), M (white male), Moneypenny (black female).
    But I would really hate Tanner 007, Leiter 007, M 007, Moneypenny 007.
    Moreover I wouldn't mind Nomi 001-006, 008-...

For now, I can't imagine that Nomi will die in the movie.
    And I think, 007 number won't be taken away from her because James Bond is back to the MI6.

I was not talking about Nomi when I mentioned Bond.

:-\"
    Benny wrote: »
    @Sani your posts so far seem to be confrontational and baiting

I was called racist and sexist here a few days ago. I think it's also confrontational.
    Benny wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're hoping to achieve. (...) it's unlikely anyone is going to agree with you 100%.

Nothing.
    That's not problem for me, that's my opinion.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I like Tanner (white male), Leiter (black male), M (white male), Moneypenny (black female).
    But I would really hate Tanner 007, Leiter 007, M 007, Moneypenny 007.
    Moreover I wouldn't mind Nomi 001-006, 008-...
    But none of that matters when you’re still hating on a character from a film that you haven’t seen? If you go into the film telling yourself you’re gonna hate a certain character, the chances are you’re gonna hate that character, and then you’re just ruining the experience for yourself. No-ones asking you to change your opinion at the end of the day, just to keep an open mind.

Part of me kinda hopes that EON did this intentionally as a big F you to all the people telling them what they should do with the franchise.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 4,619
    I still wish they chose someone more famous and established for the female 007 role. Such as Emma Stone or Rooney Mara... Could you imagine the hype and excitement for this movie if Emma Stone was playing the new female 007? :x
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I still wish they chose someone more famous and established for the female 007 role. Such as Emma Stone or Rooney Mara...

What difference would that make?
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 71
    Part of me kinda hopes that EON did this intentionally as a big F you to all the people telling them what they should do with the franchise.

I'm not telling them what they shoul do.
    I'm saying that if they do that, I won't watch this movie because I hate this idea.
    That's my sin.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Apologies for turning this back into the theory thread. I was being mischievous last night haha , it is frustrating for members when they come onto a thread expecting news with loads of comments but get nothing so sorry again XD
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I'm saying that if they do that, I won't watch this movie because I hate this idea.
    That's my sin.
    Then it seems you’re probably gonna be missing Bond 25, and your side of future discussions will be redundant because you won’t have even seen it :)
    The last NTTD footage was released over 3 months ago. The film will be released 6 months from now. We need and we want new footage! EON, it's time to release the teaser now.

That's my sin.
    Then it seems you’re probably gonna be missing Bond 25, and you’re side of future discussions will be redundant because you won’t have even seen it :)

Yes, it's likely that after 24 years, my James Bond fan status will end.
    And to everyone's delight, from now I won't write here. :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Check out Cary and Billy Magnussen's Instagram. Both him and Billy are in Crystal Palace Park doing a charity run.
    @Pierce2Daniel the videos are hilarious :)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,185

That's my sin.
    Then it seems you’re probably gonna be missing Bond 25, and you’re side of future discussions will be redundant because you won’t have even seen it :)

Yes, it's likely that after 24 years, my James Bond fan status will end.
    And to everyone's delight, from now I won't write here. :)

giphy.webp

But no, really, no one cares.
    You've only been here a couple weeks, whining non stop about nomi being 007.
    It will be hard to loose such a valuable member...
  • RC7RC7
    Check out Cary and Billy Magnussen's Instagram. Both him and Billy are in Crystal Palace Park doing a charity run.
    @Pierce2Daniel the videos are hilarious :)

My neck of the woods. If I wasn’t playing football I’d have gone down.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Cary Fukunaga seems to have built up quite the friendship with the cast, and that can only make the film better.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think the whole idea of making Nomi 007 is EON saying we are kind of giving you what some are craving (not the fans) but we aren't.

I could get with the idea that EON are doing a subtle FU to the idea of making Bond a woman but this something that has grown traction and seems all over the place now.

I think those cast members including DC are just placating the press with the "yes Bond could be a woman comments.

Some are just stirring up the s**t storm like Pierce and Cillian Murphy by saying this. Murphy has no desire to play Bond and may well not like the character I don't know.

Whereas Mr Brosnan probably still harbours some bitterness for the way he was let go and yes the way the Dan was given much more control over the playing the character than he was.

I didn't like him as Bond but I like him as a person and think since Bond he's proved he's a more than capable actor but it's no skin off his nose to use his wooden spoon and also it avoids the awkwardness that was directed at Fiennes when he suggested that Bond should stay white.

The problem now is it is out there and those talking about Bond being taken over enthusiastically whether that spell another studio taking the MGM 50% or something taking it whole and ending EON's reign. The possibility of Bond becoming a woman is far more likely.

I fear that EON losing control of the character may bring on the idea of them creating another timeline where Bond is a woman then down the line returning to him as male.

Hell another studio could even run different timelines concurrently. Sounds madness but for me the fear is that EON not being around could open this character we all follow and love to all sorts shenanigans.

Having the history and the passion for the character and understanding where it came from makes Bond's future far more positive, losing the family element and letting business men or a corporation take control, well... be careful what you wish for....
    I've been thinking about the DB5 Matera car chase. It has to be the best car chase of the Craig era. I hope Fukunaga and co. realise that. None of the Craig car chases so far have been entirely satisfying so this really has to deliver.

CR car chase: great stunt at the end but otherwise too short and uneventful to consider it a real car chase.

QOS car chase: easily the best one of the Craig era so far, but it's horribly edited.

SP car chase: too slow, zero excitement. A total dud.