No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited September 2019 Posts: 3,018
    He's one of the baddies.

Car fleet rolling by, slomo version second video in slider

And some guy posted these tagged with Bond. Probably means nothing for now.

Oh, so the headlights go under so the bigger airplane-like machine guns come out. Nicely done.
    Sometimes the stuntmen have better heads for baddies than the actual actors playing the baddies.
    Univex wrote: »
    slyfox wrote: »
    I forgot to mention the other day but if anyone understands Latin, then the following text was inscribed on the mausoleum
    of Vesper:
    "QVOD TV ES, EGO FVI. QVOD EGO SVM, TV ERIS"
    The banner is being held by two skeletons at either side of it.
    What you are, I was. What I am, you'd be.
    Or something like that.

That's kinda creepy, if 'you' is meant to be Bond.
    So Bond is a traitor/double-crosser and later he wil be dead? Great.
    But I suppose we're not meant to take it literally.

Regarding the Latin line, it's an old medieval warning about the frailty of life and the certainty of death.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Univex wrote: »
    Oh, so the headlights go under so the bigger airplane-like machine guns come out. Nicely done.

Yeah, and even in that version you can see the 'damage' is a sticker which has been applied. The bullet hits on the windows are presumably the same.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 151
    The latest sassilive.it story says: "in the afternoon [today], from 2pm to 8pm, the adjacent streets will be closed the balcony build hotel, via Ridola, via Duni, via Bruno Buozzi, for the filming of the explosion of James Bond's hotel room in the area below piazzetta Pascoli."
    http://www.sassilive.it/cultura-e-spettacoli/cinema-cultura-e-spettacoli/film-no-time-to-die-con-james-bond-riprese-del-17-settembre-con-daniel-craig-e-lea-seydoux-in-via-daddozio-via-fiorentini-e-piazzetta-pascoli-video-e-foto/
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine

Cary with Bond fan from German 007 club.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Someone wrote: »
    The latest sassilive.it story says: "in the afternoon [today], from 2pm to 8pm, the adjacent streets will be closed the balcony build hotel, via Ridola, via Duni, via Bruno Buozzi, for the filming of the explosion of James Bond's hotel room in the area below piazzetta Pascoli."
    http://www.sassilive.it/cultura-e-spettacoli/cinema-cultura-e-spettacoli/film-no-time-to-die-con-james-bond-riprese-del-17-settembre-con-daniel-craig-e-lea-seydoux-in-via-daddozio-via-fiorentini-e-piazzetta-pascoli-video-e-foto/

@Contraband and @slyfox here we go.
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    Pavlo wrote: »

This is a wonderful, young, fibrant, open-to-social-media, nerdy, ordinary director. Our own 'Christopher McQuarrie'. And I thinkk if Fukunaga makes a masterpiece out of NTTD he could very well be the Bond 26 director who kicks off a new Bond-actor.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Someone wrote: »

@Contraband and @slyfox here we go.

I'll be watching 👍

This morning Aston Martin and sheep scenes....
    This afternoon hotel room set scenes...
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

This is a wonderful, young, fibrant, open-to-social-media, nerdy, ordinary director. Our own 'Christopher McQuarrie'. And I thinkk if Fukunaga makes a masterpiece out of NTTD he could very well be the Bond 26 director who kicks off a new Bond-actor.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine

Great photo!
  • antovolk wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    That's probably because Nolan is one of the only filmmakers to shoot IMAX. Like, properly :P. Aside from him only ones in the last couple years were Damien Chazelle with First Man (the moonwalk finale had an aspect ratio change for the whole sequence) and Zack Snyder with Batman v Superman (a few full sequences in the format, but expanded image didn't make it to the Blu-ray unfortunately). Avengers Infinity War and Endgame were filmed on the IMAX digital cameras entirely so in these cinemas they were presented expanded for the whole film, but on disc only in 2.40:1.

Yep I know, but it depends in which theaters you see those films. I saw BvS (many times) in regular non-IMAX theaters and there was no change in the aspect ratio. None on the BvS BD either. But the aspect ratio change was always present in the same theater* (and BD as well obviously) speaking about Nolan... so I believe NTTD will face the same BvS treatment. Point is, Nolan wants to present the audiences the power of IMAX even if they watch the film on a laptop. Which is, uhm, weird. Always hated the aspect ratio changes and for example if u see the BvS Nightmare sequence on BD you are still able to enjoy the difference without that annoying aspect ratio bug.

*You say the aspect ratio change happens only in IMAX... but I remember Dunkirk had that change also in the theater, and it was no-IMAX...

Yeah, Blu-ray is an interesting one as some filmmakers (like Nolan and Chazelle) have chosen to have the IMAX versions on there (and McQuarrie on Fallout), but Snyder didn't on BvS, Brad Bird specifically said no to it on Mission Impossible 4, the Russos didn't get it on Avengers... We'll have to wait and see what Cary chooses to do as the decision for the home media release is in his and EON's hands.

As to the point about theatres though...I know for a fact Dunkirk was only presented in 2.20:1 (the aspect ratio of the non-IMAX sequences in that film) in regular theatres. You must have seen it in IMAX if you got the ratio changes. The only film 'shot on IMAX' to have the changes everywhere was Transformers The Last Knight and that was a real vomit of AR changes as Bay alternated between the digital IMAX 'A' camera and regular 'B' cameras in the same scene, shot to shot, every time almost. Yuck.

@antovolk I'm going to need some serious convincing that the switching aspect ratios is a good idea. I understand that Christopher Nolan-sycophants believe it to be the ultimate storyteller mechanism. But I can’t help but feel the wider aspect ratio fetishizes action sequences and “money shots.”

Christopher Nolan is as bad as Michael Bay in this respect. If you’re going to switch aspect ratios, at least do it for a narrative purpose such as in Life of Pi, First Man or the second Hunger Games films.

(Also, Mission: impossible – Fallout doesn’t count. McQuarrie is a total fraud and didn’t even use IMAX cameras, it’s still 35mm)

If you want to film in a wider aspect ratio, then just fill the screen and don’t crop to widescreen throughout. Some of the best examples of modern cinematography are found in 1.85:1. I’d love to see a Bond film return to this aspect ratio!

Anyway, rant over……………………………more from the set. Plus our first look at Dali Benssalah. Who, aside from the brief glimpse at Nomi, is the ONLY new character we have seen!

18569148-7472445-image-m-51_1568711032123.jpg

18569164-7472445-image-m-59_1568711525686.jpg

18569186-7472445-image-a-80_1568712143855.jpg

18569174-7472445-image-m-130_1568712771203.jpg

18569152-7472445-image-a-128_1568712696652.jpg

• NickThunderballsNickThunderballs Australia
    That's probably because Nolan is one of the only filmmakers to shoot IMAX. Like, properly :P. Aside from him only ones in the last couple years were Damien Chazelle with First Man (the moonwalk finale had an aspect ratio change for the whole sequence) and Zack Snyder with Batman v Superman (a few full sequences in the format, but expanded image didn't make it to the Blu-ray unfortunately). Avengers Infinity War and Endgame were filmed on the IMAX digital cameras entirely so in these cinemas they were presented expanded for the whole film, but on disc only in 2.40:1.

Yep I know, but it depends in which theaters you see those films. I saw BvS (many times) in regular non-IMAX theaters and there was no change in the aspect ratio. None on the BvS BD either. But the aspect ratio change was always present in the same theater* (and BD as well obviously) speaking about Nolan... so I believe NTTD will face the same BvS treatment. Point is, Nolan wants to present the audiences the power of IMAX even if they watch the film on a laptop. Which is, uhm, weird. Always hated the aspect ratio changes and for example if u see the BvS Nightmare sequence on BD you are still able to enjoy the difference without that annoying aspect ratio bug.

*You say the aspect ratio change happens only in IMAX... but I remember Dunkirk had that change also in the theater, and it was no-IMAX...

Yeah, Blu-ray is an interesting one as some filmmakers (like Nolan and Chazelle) have chosen to have the IMAX versions on there (and McQuarrie on Fallout), but Snyder didn't on BvS, Brad Bird specifically said no to it on Mission Impossible 4, the Russos didn't get it on Avengers... We'll have to wait and see what Cary chooses to do as the decision for the home media release is in his and EON's hands.

As to the point about theatres though...I know for a fact Dunkirk was only presented in 2.20:1 (the aspect ratio of the non-IMAX sequences in that film) in regular theatres. You must have seen it in IMAX if you got the ratio changes. The only film 'shot on IMAX' to have the changes everywhere was Transformers The Last Knight and that was a real vomit of AR changes as Bay alternated between the digital IMAX 'A' camera and regular 'B' cameras in the same scene, shot to shot, every time almost. Yuck.

@antovolk I'm going to need some serious convincing that the switching aspect ratios is a good idea. I understand that Christopher Nolan-sycophants believe it to be the ultimate storyteller mechanism. But I can’t help but feel the wider aspect ratio fetishizes action sequences and “money shots.”

Christopher Nolan is as bad as Michael Bay in this respect. If you’re going to switch aspect ratios, at least do it for a narrative purpose such as in Life of Pi, First Man or the second Hunger Games films.

(Also, Mission: impossible – Fallout doesn’t count. McQuarrie is a total fraud and didn’t even use IMAX cameras, it’s still 35mm)

If you want to film in a wider aspect ratio, then just fill the screen and don’t crop to widescreen throughout. Some of the best examples of modern cinematography are found in 1.85:1. I’d love to see a Bond film return to this aspect ratio!

Anyway, rant over……………………………more from the set. Plus our first look at Dali Benssalah. Who, aside from the brief glimpse at Nomi, is the ONLY new character we have seen!

18569148-7472445-image-m-51_1568711032123.jpg

18569164-7472445-image-m-59_1568711525686.jpg

18569186-7472445-image-a-80_1568712143855.jpg

18569174-7472445-image-m-130_1568712771203.jpg

18569152-7472445-image-a-128_1568712696652.jpg

Scene 37 on the clapper..??????
    Gonna take this IMAX debate to the Cinematography thread @Pierce2Daniel....
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 3,167
    So this is where Bond loses his tie.

Dali Benssalah certainly gets around. He is the Norway and Matera-scenes, as well as the ones in Cuba. Meanwhile, Malek is still to be spotted.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Those granny pants are going to look tremendous in IMAX.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Dali Benssalah certainly gets around. He is the Norway and Matera-scenes, as well as the ones in Cuba. Meanwhile, Malek is still to be spotted.
    Is he in Matera? First I'm hearing.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Is he in Matera? First I'm hearing.
    I didn't say he was. He was in Italy a couple a weeks ago, though. Probably he's back in N.Y. All interior scenes for him, I guess. Like Dr.No.
  • NickThunderballsNickThunderballs Australia
    Is anyone else feeling this same way, let me know. I am fearing three potential things in regards to Malek's character:

1) He will be underused or have a lack of screentime that will affect his portrayal negatively

2) His portrayal will be poor due to script/setting restrictions

3) His villain will be overshadowed by a potential return of old Uncle Ernst
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    DCisared wrote: »

I was enjoying the bras.
    Is anyone else feeling this same way, let me know. I am fearing three potential things in regards to Malek's character:

1) He will be underused or have a lack of screentime that will affect his portrayal negatively

2) His portrayal will be poor due to script/setting restrictions

3) His villain will be overshadowed by a potential return of old Uncle Ernst

Nope, calm your fears, Malek is a superb and intriguing actor, he won't be overshadowed by a brief Blofeld appearance, and he will give a 100% committed performance. As for the writing; this script has serious talent behind it - serious talent.
  • What did they do regarding aspect ratios in IMAX for Skyfall and Spectre? 'Normal' viewings will still be 2.35:1 throughout.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    Shooting schedule 19th-23th of September.
    ...in the city Gravina.
    Includes filming at:
    - the Robinson Park
    - Acquedotto bridge
    - the panoramic road Santo Stefano
    - Fonta Della Stella

Gravina__025.jpg

http://www.sassilive.it/cultura-e-spettacoli/cinema-cultura-e-spettacoli/james-bond-arriva-a-gravina-riprese-del-film-no-time-to-die-dal-19-al-23-settembre/
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    Shooting schedule 19th-23th of September.
    ...in the city Gravina.
    Includes filming at:
    - the Robinson Park
    - Acquedotto bridge
    - the panoramic road Santo Stefano
    - Fonta Della Stella

Gravina__025.jpg

http://www.sassilive.it/cultura-e-spettacoli/cinema-cultura-e-spettacoli/james-bond-arriva-a-gravina-riprese-del-film-no-time-to-die-dal-19-al-23-settembre/

This is the same bridge where 2nd unit filmed Bond's jump, isn't it? If so then first unit will probably film the same scene but with Daniel.
    What did they do regarding aspect ratios in IMAX for Skyfall and Spectre? 'Normal' viewings will still be 2.35:1 throughout.

Skyfall was shown in 1.90:1 for the entire film in IMAX (it was shot that way by Deakins on the Arri Alexa). As Spectre was shot anamorphic 35mm, there's no expanded aspect ratio version.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 3,167
    This is the same bridge where 2nd unit filmed Bond's jump, isn't it?
    It's an old aqueduct. Not the same I think It's smaller and the tiles are different.
    Gravina_in_Puglia_Ponte_acquedotto_viadotto_Madonna_della_Stella_3.jpg
    1566847874_173_The-double-stunt-of-Daniel-Craig-jumps-off-a-bridge.jpg

mtm wrote: »
    DCisared wrote: »

I was enjoying the bras.

Hopefully he'll kill the bad guy with one, with a pithy remark after. :))
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,343
    This is the same bridge where 2nd unit filmed Bond's jump, isn't it?
    It's an old aqueduct. Not the same I think It's smaller and the tiles are different.

It's the same. The article you linked clears it.