No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Anyone else getting the vibe that this will be all the great things about Craig's era in one film?
    Yes! Bond vs slate type of fight
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Anyone else getting the vibe that this will be all the great things about Craig's era in one film?

The potential is certainly there. They seem to have taken several careful steps to ensure Daniel goes out with a bang (ie. hiring additional writers for script with PWB, top notch cinematographer with Linus, IMAX cameras, dramatic locales, etc)

Of course the whole thing could fall apart with a weak script, but overall I’m optimistic it will be a classic.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 832
    Denbigh wrote: »

The potential is certainly there. They seem to have taken several careful steps to ensure Daniel goes out with a bang (ie. hiring additional writers for script with PWB, top notch cinematographer with Linus, IMAX cameras, dramatic locales, etc)

Of course the whole thing could fall apart with a weak script, but overall I’m optimistic it will be a classic.
    My thinking exactly. We certainly have a great creative team 🙏🙏🙏
    I forgot to mention the other day but if anyone understands Latin, then the following text was inscribed on the mausoleum
    of Vesper:
    "QVOD TV ES, EGO FVI. QVOD EGO SVM, TV ERIS"
    The banner is being held by two skeletons at either side of it.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 6,665
    slyfox wrote: »
    I forgot to mention the other day but if anyone understands Latin, then the following text was inscribed on the mausoleum
    of Vesper:
    What you are, I was. What I am, you'd be.
    Or something like that?! Alas, latin is not my strong suit.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Whenever they finally release the teaser trailer, I do hope we get a whole slew of things to go along with it. We still don’t have an official poster, nor any official images besides the one of Bond & the Vantage.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Univex wrote: »
    of Vesper:
    Or something like that.

That's kinda creepy, if 'you' is meant to be Bond.
    So Bond is a traitor/double-crosser and later he wil be dead? Great.
    But I suppose we're not meant to take it literally.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,834
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Whenever they finally release the teaser trailer, I do hope we get a whole slew of things to go along with it. We still don’t have an official poster, nor any official images besides the one of Bond & the Vantage.
    Well often official images are released close to the release of a trailer. So maybe a first still will be a clue to the trailer's release?
    of Vesper:
    Or something like that.

That's kinda creepy, if 'you' is meant to be Bond.
    So Bond is a traitor/double-crosser and later he wil be dead? Great.
    But I suppose we're not meant to take it literally.

If that's what it says... ;)

But yes, rather creepy and cryptic.
  • J_Bryce777J_Bryce777 San Francisco
    of Vesper:

I believe, "I am what you are going to be; and I was what you are."

Seems to be an epitaph written in many graves in Puglia.
    J_Bryce777 wrote: »
    of Vesper:

I believe, "I am what you are going to be; and I was what you are."

Seems to be an epitaph written in many graves in Puglia.

Exactly, that's it! Seems quite common for an epitaph.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Question - with regards to IMAX, seeing as only certain shots are being filmed with IMAX cameras of a certain sequence (Matera car chase, for example), should we expect constant changes in aspect ratio during the sequence?
    jake24 wrote: »
    Question - with regards to IMAX, seeing as only certain shots are being filmed with IMAX cameras of a certain sequence (Matera car chase, for example), should we expect constant changes in aspect ratio during the sequence?

I expect so. No real way around that. But it would be cool if they did a gradual shift like MI: Fallout did as opposed to a Dark Knight Rises with the constant, abrupt shifts.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondbat007 wrote: »

I expect so. No real way around that. But it would be cool if they did a gradual shift like MI: Fallout did as opposed to a Dark Knight Rises with the constant, abrupt shifts.
    Agreed.
    @antovolk, any intel?
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 698
    Is it just me or does Lea Seydoux look so much better than she did in Spectre?
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Is it just me or does Lea Seydoux look so much better than she did in Spectre?

It's not just you. Then again, the way they filmed her in SP was pretty unflattering for the most part.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Have to say it is most impressive how to this day we know nothing about NTTD?!!!

We already know the diversity. This is very important nowadays.

Agreed.
    @antovolk, any intel?

Going off the set photos looks like as much as possible Fukunaga is gonna have whole sequences in the format to minimise the aspect ratio changes. Ultimately we'll have to see what happens when he plays around with it all in the edit, he can crop some of the IMAX shots down to 2.40:1 scope if necessary.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    edited September 2019 Posts: 630
    of Vesper:

whatever you are I was, whatever i am, you will be.
    It's Satyricon by Petronius

• of Vesper:
    [/quote]

whatever you are I was, whatever i am, you would be.
    It's Satyricon by Petronius[/quote]

What you are, I was (=alive).
    What I am, you‘ll be (=dead).
    antovolk wrote: »

Agreed.
    @antovolk, any intel?

Going off the set photos looks like as much as possible Fukunaga is gonna have whole sequences in the format to minimise the aspect ratio changes. Ultimately we'll have to see what happens when he plays around with it all in the edit, he can crop some of the IMAX shots down to 2.40:1 scope if necessary.

I suspect they are framing the IMAX for 2.40:1 and will present the entire film in that aspect ratio.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Agreed.
    @antovolk, any intel?

I suspect they are framing the IMAX for 2.40:1 and will present the entire film in that aspect ratio.

Agreed.

In recent years the only films that I saw switching aspect ratios were made by Nolan.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 3,164

Agreed.
    @antovolk, any intel?

Then I guess what's the point of shooting IMAX in the first place? Especially after the fiasco surrounding Star Wars The Last Jedi (where the island training scenes were shot on the cameras then Rian Johnson didn't like the shifting AR and cropped it all), it was a nightmare for the company marketing wise as the expanded aspect ratio is very much the selling point - they had to get rid of 'filmed with IMAX cameras' in all the materials, which NTTD still very much has.

But given how much we've seen the IMAX cameras on set, I would imagine they're really going full 'Nolan' on this. Again, I'd think Fukunaga is wise enough to be aware of the impact of aspect ratio changes to make sure that it's fuller sequences in the format as opposed to some shots, or at the very least a logic to the changes (eg interior/exterior). Plus, on the larger IMAX screens which are the only places the aspect ratio changes will happen (every other format - regular cinemas, Dolby Cinema, cinema-proprietary large formats like Cineworld Superscreen etc will be presented 2.40:1), these AR changes are less in your face as it adds to your vertical peripheral vision.
    matt_u wrote: »

Agreed.
    @antovolk, any intel?

Agreed.

In recent years the only films that I saw switching aspect ratios were made by Nolan.

That's probably because Nolan is one of the only filmmakers to shoot IMAX. Like, properly :P. Aside from him only ones in the last couple years were Damien Chazelle with First Man (the moonwalk finale had an aspect ratio change for the whole sequence) and Zack Snyder with Batman v Superman (a few full sequences in the format, but expanded image didn't make it to the Blu-ray unfortunately). Avengers Infinity War and Endgame were filmed on the IMAX digital cameras entirely so in these cinemas they were presented expanded for the whole film, but on disc only in 2.40:1.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2019 Posts: 2,541

Agreed.
    @antovolk, any intel?

Then I guess what's the point of shooting IMAX in the first place? Especially after the fiasco surrounding Star Wars The Last Jedi (where the island training scenes were shot on the cameras then Rian Johnson didn't like the shifting AR and cropped it all), it was a nightmare for the company marketing wise as the expanded aspect ratio is very much the selling point - they had to get rid of 'filmed with IMAX cameras' in all the materials, which NTTD still very much has.

But given how much we've seen the IMAX cameras on set, I would imagine they're really going full 'Nolan' on this. Again, I'd think Fukunaga is wise enough to be aware of the impact of aspect ratio changes to make sure that it's fuller sequences in the format as opposed to some shots, or at the very least a logic to the changes (eg interior/exterior). Plus, on the larger IMAX screens which are the only places the aspect ratio changes will happen (every other format - regular cinemas, Dolby Cinema, cinema-proprietary large formats like Cineworld Superscreen etc will be presented 2.40:1), these AR changes are less in your face as it adds to your vertical peripheral vision.

Agreed.
    @antovolk, any intel?

Agreed.

That's probably because Nolan is one of the only filmmakers to shoot IMAX. Like, properly :P. Aside from him only ones in the last couple years were Damien Chazelle with First Man (the moonwalk finale had an aspect ratio change for the whole sequence) and Zack Snyder with Batman v Superman (a few full sequences in the format, but expanded image didn't make it to the Blu-ray unfortunately). Avengers Infinity War and Endgame were filmed on the IMAX digital cameras entirely so in these cinemas they were presented expanded for the whole film, but on disc only in 2.40:1.

So can they go with full imax just like infinity war and endgame did?
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,343

Yep I know, but it depends in which theaters you see those films. I saw BvS (many times) in regular non-IMAX theaters and there was no change in the aspect ratio. None on the BvS BD either. But the aspect ratio change was always present in the same theater* (and BD as well obviously) speaking about Nolan... so I believe NTTD will face the same BvS treatment. Point is, Nolan wants to present the audiences the power of IMAX even if they watch the film on a laptop. Which is, uhm, weird. Always hated the aspect ratio changes and for example if u see the BvS Nightmare sequence on BD you are still able to enjoy the difference without that annoying aspect ratio bug.

*You say the aspect ratio change happens only in IMAX... but I remember Dunkirk had that change also in the theater, and it was no-IMAX...

Agreed.
    @antovolk, any intel?

Agreed.
    @antovolk, any intel?

Agreed.

So can they go with full imax just like infinity war and endgame did?

They can't have IMAX for the full duration as they're shooting it on the traditional 15/70mm cameras as opposed to the newer digital ones (and we've of course seen set photos of NTTD with 35mm). They're just too noisy for dialogue scenes, hence Nolan and others reserving them for action sequences or picturesque establishers.

Infinity War and Endgame were shot on IMAX's digital cameras - basically souped-up Arri Alexas - which have a less-tall aspect ratio (1.90:1 as opposed to 1.43:1) and are less impactful than 'traditional IMAX', which is what Nolan uses. Infinity War/Endgame is arguably no different in reality than Roger Deakins just opening the mattes up for Skyfall's IMAX version and having it 'expanded'. What McQuarrie did on M:I was an interesting one as he essentially wanted to replicate Nolan with having those two sequences as if they were shot IMAX, but on Panavision DXLs (because of the weight, particularly when shooting the HALO jump). The 1.90:1 aspect ratio is easy to achieve there too.

The big deal about NTTD and IMAX is that they've opted for the Nolan/traditional variety of the format, presented in the taller 1.43:1 ratio of IMAX's older (and much bigger) cinemas akin to the BFI in London, which is a huge deal and undertaking. They wanted to do it on Spectre but no suitable processing lab existed in the UK at the time.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine

Agreed.
    @antovolk, any intel?

Agreed.
    @antovolk, any intel?

Agreed.

I think Cary will make full-IMAX sequences (as we see with Matera filming), but will change principle of aspect ratio change when IMAX scenes are coming. Chris Nolan doesn't do smooth transfers from one ratio to another and that's what I don't like. Maybe Cary will create some visual, narrative logic for aspect ratio change. For example, Maddy and Bond will drive in Matera's tonnel with 35 mm camera filming it and after the tonnel the image will go full IMAX. I think it can be really great.
    The big deal about NTTD and IMAX is that they've opted for the Nolan/traditional variety of the format, presented in the taller 1.43:1 ratio of IMAX's older (and much bigger) cinemas akin to the BFI in London, which is a huge deal and undertaking. They wanted to do it on Spectre but no suitable processing lab existed in the UK at the time.

So they're goin full Nolan.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 3,164

Yep I know, but it depends in which theaters you see those films. I saw BvS (many times) in regular non-IMAX theaters and there was no change in the aspect ratio. None on the BvS BD either. But the aspect ratio change was always present in the same theater* (and BD as well obviously) speaking about Nolan... so I believe NTTD will face the same BvS treatment. Point is, Nolan wants to present the audiences the power of IMAX even if they watch the film on a laptop. Which is, uhm, weird. Always hated the aspect ratio changes and for example if u see the BvS Nightmare sequence on BD you are still able to enjoy the difference without that annoying aspect ratio bug.

*You say the aspect ratio change happens only in IMAX... but I remember Dunkirk had that change also in the theater, and it was no-IMAX...

Yeah, Blu-ray is an interesting one as some filmmakers (like Nolan and Chazelle) have chosen to have the IMAX versions on there (and McQuarrie on Fallout), but Snyder didn't on BvS, Brad Bird specifically said no to it on Mission Impossible 4, the Russos didn't get it on Avengers... We'll have to wait and see what Cary chooses to do as the decision for the home media release is in his and EON's hands.

As to the point about theatres though...I know for a fact Dunkirk was only presented in 2.20:1 (the aspect ratio of the non-IMAX sequences in that film) in regular theatres. You must have seen it in IMAX if you got the ratio changes. The only film 'shot on IMAX' to have the changes everywhere was Transformers The Last Knight and that was a real vomit of AR changes as Bay alternated between the digital IMAX 'A' camera and regular 'B' cameras in the same scene, shot to shot, every time almost. Yuck.