NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The blockbuster landscape is changed a lot since SP. Don't think Bond will hit the 1 billion mark this time around, but it really depends on how much success the film will have in the US. 250+ millions in the US would be very good, anything less would 99% run out the 1 billion mark.
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    matt_u wrote: »
    The blockbuster landscape is changed a lot since SP. Don't think Bond will hit the 1 billion mark this time around, but it really depends on how much success the film will have in the US. 250+ millions in the US would be very good, anything less would 99% run out the 1 billion mark.

What I'm worried more about, as you could read on page 14, is the real-time profits, the ROI, of the upcoming Bond-film. Box office figures alone don't do it anymore. If NTTD grosses worldwide a mere $725 Million, but if, at the same time, it manages an ROI of more than 550%......now THEN I will be happy :-).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I will be happy if NTTD turns out a great Bond film, regardless of what money it makes.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,343

What I'm worried more about, as you could read on page 14, is the real-time profits, the ROI, of the upcoming Bond-film. Box office figures alone don't do it anymore. If NTTD grosses worldwide a mere $725 Million, but if, at the same time, it manages an ROI of more than 550%......now THEN I will be happy :-).

You know a similar ROI won't ever happen? XD

NTTD looks like another 200 millions production + maybe 150 millions for marketing and other costs...

BTW, I don't care too much about this, but the movie must gross more than what Fallout did. :D

P.S. Wasn't the production budget for Spectre 245 millions? On box-officemojo they say 245. You're reporting 300.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I think this film has potential to reach 1 billion mark.
    I only hope people will be fair towards the movie. If it doesn't make a billion dollars or even 750 mil, I hope we'll still be able to fairly judge its quality regardless. Some have called SP a bad film simply because it made less money than SF. That's like saying the fruit tasted bad because fewer people bought some of it.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I will be happy if NTTD turns out a great Bond film, regardless of what money it makes.

Obviously! The same counts for me. I can't wait to see NTTD. It's one of the reasons I felt so adamant to peek on this forum again.

But there's more than just that film. I just hope the Bond-franchise on the whole becomes (financially) more healthier. Because when that happens we fans could perhaps witness less breaks between Bond productions (Goodbye "The Rhythmn Section", goodbye "Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool", goodbye 'Harry Saltzman-mentality'), a more fresher attitude towards the character Bond, and even a higher quality film on the whole.

On the positive side: there might already be some diversification plans with regard to Lashana Lynch playing (rumoured) 007. There could very well be a spin-off in the making, which personally would interest me greatly. You could then have one 'Nomi-008' film every 1,5 years, followed by a real James Bond-007' film 1,5 years later and vice versa. Financially I think it would make the Bond-franchise healthier.

So my adage would be: I will be happy if NTTD turns out a great Bond-film, and at the same time the Bond-franchise management-wise and financially gets healthier, so that also in the long-term we can enjoy wonderful films from the Bond-franchise in a slightly more rapid fashion and with more quality too.

Box office figures to me as such don't interest me much either. But a healthy Bond-franchise is what all Bond-fans would appreciate.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

This is all I care about, really. I just want a damn good, cracking installment, particularly one that'll wrap up the Craig era in a wonderful way. Make a great film first and foremost and let the end product and word of mouth speak for itself worldwide.
    P.S. Wasn't the production budget for Spectre 245 millions? On box-officemojo they say 245. You're reporting 300.

I mainly used figures from The-Numbers.com and BoxOfficePro.com, not BoxOfficeMojo: https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Spectre#tab=summary. Also I digged into the SonyLeaks a bit and previous film business articles (I linked to those). The $300 Million production budget for SP to me sounds quite accurate. In any case ROI's of recent Bond-films have been relatively abysmal to say the least. Would be good for the Bond-franchise if it can improve profits-wise.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This is all I care about, really. I just want a damn good, cracking installment, particularly one that'll wrap up the Craig era in a wonderful way. Make a great film first and foremost and let the end product and word of mouth speak for itself worldwide.

Or let the film rest a few years.

We weren't ready for OHMSS in '69, but we were a few years later. I'm happy with the OHMSS we've got. Had they made it more easily digestible as a follow-up to YOLT, we may not be appreciating the film the way we do today. Same with LTK.

If NTTD is a bloody good Bond film but not the one people want today, it'll remain a bloody good Bond film that people may rediscover a few years from now. If it's a film that pleases the masses but fails to impress us otherwise, it'll stay a let-down.

I mainly used figures from The-Numbers.com and BoxOfficePro.com, not BoxOfficeMojo: https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Spectre#tab=summary. Also I digged into the SonyLeaks a bit and previous film business articles (I linked to those). The $300 Million production budget for SP to me sounds quite accurate. In any case ROI's of recent Bond-films have been relatively abysmal to say the least. Would be good for the Bond-franchise if it can improve profits-wise.

Okay got it.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 431

Or let the film rest a few years.

We weren't ready for OHMSS in '69, but we were a few years later. I'm happy with the OHMSS we've got. Had they made it more easily digestible as a follow-up to YOLT, we may not be appreciating the film the way we do today. Same with LTK.

If NTTD is a bloody good Bond film but not the one people want today, it'll remain a bloody good Bond film that people may rediscover a few years from now. If it's a film that pleases the masses but fails to impress us otherwise, it'll stay a let-down.

But that's what worries me. In 'Blockbuster-land' that luxury style of thinking is a no go. And frankly, my fear is that if that happens, that in the near future we only get one Bond-film once every 4,5 years, then the Bond-franchise might slowly become extinct from our collective consciousness (I say slowly). I already know people, especially young ones, who have never heard of James Bond.

I'm not only thinking of what I want. Because then I could agree with your notions @DarthDimi. I'm a patient guy. Really (37 now). But what worries me is the franchise at large. I think everyone in here would agree that it would be better for the franchise if it's being managed better. Not because I want it, but because I would love to see new young people being infected as much by Bond as they are by Marvel.

So as a follow-up I say:

Good for me: If NTTD is a bloody good Bond film but not the one people want today, it'll remain a bloody good Bond film that people may rediscover a few years from now.

Way better: If NTTD is a bloody good Bond film and at the same time it's exactly the kind of film people want today, then it'll not only remain a bloody good Bond film that people may rediscover a few years from now…...but can also be seen as a bloody good entry that is a trendsetter/standard bearer as witnessed instantly by massive amounts of people coming April.

At least the last one was more or less 'Cubby's' motto no?

Why does the ROI % interest you more than the actual dollar profit?
    Assuming this really is Craig's final entry in the series, there's no doubt the mere fact of a new James Bond will generate enough interest and publicity in and for the next Bond film, no matter what NTTD does. Depending on how "strategically" the next Bond will be cast and how much more of a "refreshing", if any at all, they'll impart on the next line of films, young ones will or won't find their way to the series. In that sense, I believe NTTD is enjoying the unique privilege of not having to worry too much about how big an impact it may have on what comes next.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 431
    vzok wrote: »

Why does the ROI % interest you more than the actual dollar profit?

Both actually. But the actual Dollar profit is much harder to predict in the absence of exact marketing budget investments. And on the whole, ROI and real-time profit interest me more than just plain out-of-perspective box office grosses.
    Assuming this really is Craig's final entry in the series, there's no doubt the mere fact of a new James Bond will generate enough interest and publicity in and for the next Bond film, no matter what NTTD does. Depending on how "strategically" the next Bond will be cast and how much more of a "refreshing", if any at all, they'll impart on the next line of films, young ones will or won't find their way to the series. In that sense, I believe NTTD is enjoying the unique privilege of not having to worry too much about how big an impact it may have on what comes next.

That last notion I agree with. And in this discussion I tend to take NTTD a bit separately from the long-term future of the franchise. Besides all the pre-production problems, NTTD is in production now. And it seems everything is being run smoothly (as directed by Fukunaga). So yes, NTTD has that unique privilege in that it will be there regardless of profits or losses.

Then again, I'm just hoping our beloved franchise will be managed with a more 'hands-on' mentality after NTTD. Also, the Bond-franchise for me is also a very interesting discussion subject from an economic point of view :-).
  • RC7RC7
    The marketing costs angle seems a bit misleading here imo. EON/MGM don’t pay for a lot of marketing, it’s provided by the partners, Heineken etc. Heineken don’t pay EON, but they’re obliged to provide £Xm of marketing for the privilege. Of course there are costs there, just not on the level projected.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Speaking of costs, I know that filming is still ongoing, but have there been any announcements regarding the budget? I was hoping after that $330 million plus reported for SP that things would be rolled back considerably.
    RC7 wrote: »
    The marketing costs angle seems a bit misleading here imo. EON/MGM don’t pay for a lot of marketing, it’s provided by the partners, Heineken etc. Heineken don’t pay EON, but they’re obliged to provide £Xm of marketing for the privilege. Of course there are costs there, just not on the level projected.

Depends a bit how you look at it. If you read my article, then every party in this conglomerate 'EON-MGM-Sony' (formerly) or 'EON-MGM-UA-Universal' (new situation) gets a portion/percentage of the profits. (We do know EON screw Sony tremendously) https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.com/bond-confronting-changing-media/

In my article I tried to make distinction between pure marketing/promo costs of the actual film (direct) and the lucrative Danjaq/EON sponsorship-branch of business, which are more indirect marketing costs when compared to the actual film.

Speaking of costs, I know that filming is still ongoing, but have there been any announcements regarding the budget? I was hoping after that $330 million plus reported for SP that things would be rolled back considerably.

They have to lol. Universal is bigger/powerful (Comcast) than Sony. So I wouldn't be surprised if Universal slammed with some shoes on the negotiation table sitting opposite MGM and EON (UA Releasing/Annapurna perhaps more silent). It would be better if NTTD's 'official' production budget does not go past the $200 Million. And marketing/distribution costs less than $90 Million.
    I *think* Heineken pay to feature. As far as I know only Bollinger’s is a gentleman’s agreement with no payment.
  • RC7RC7
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I *think* Heineken pay to feature. As far as I know only Bollinger’s is a gentleman’s agreement with no payment.

I’m not sure that’s true. Bollinger will no doubt act on that level to a degree (they still provide marketing), but with Heineken I’m pretty sure their side of the deal is that they provide marketing - see the ad filmed last year. It’s a better deal for EON. As they might say, ‘Do we look like we need the money?’.
    I think the marketing has to be sharp and different than before, something will be needed to draw people into seats, I don’t think lynch is that draw but I could be wrong. they have no anniversary going for them and it’s too soon to say if the theme song will be catchy enough. The film has a lot riding against it and it’s been 5 years since the last outing. As Mathis would say if you get into trouble the Calvary won’t be coming over the nearest hill. That trouble will be a weak opening weekend or a 50% drop the following weekend.
    RC7 wrote: »

I’m not sure that’s true. Bollinger will no doubt act on that level to a degree (they still provide marketing), but with Heineken I’m pretty sure their side of the deal is that they provide marketing - see the ad filmed last year. It’s a better deal for EON. As they might say, ‘Do we look like we need the money?’.

That sponsorship marketing stuff is basically going directly in the pockets of EON/Danjaq. It won't be used -as such- as direct marketing investments on the actual film. This whole sponsorship stuff is basically an entire separate, indirect branch of the Bond franchise. The nice side-effect that it results in lots of free NTTD publicity, commercials and online/written ads.

The question is: Less Bond-films in cinema per every 4/5 years also means in the long-term the brand 'Bond' becomes less lucrative. Not to mention Marvel, who sooner or later simply have a better deal for Heineken.

What makes me curious is also the direct marketing investments from movie companies like MGM, Universal and UA.Releasing into the Bond-films. That's an entire, more direct, ballgame of marketing.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 677
    I think it could hit one billion if there is a sense this is a special Bond movie. Not just in terms of action but in terms of cinematography and concept too (with it being the last Craig movie, and I have a feeling the 007 thing --if true-- could provide some enthusiasm).

I think the singer chosen for the theme will also play a part in this.

Now, none of this matters to the quality of the movie, of course. But this is the box office thread.
    http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20151001-does-bonds-product-placement-go-too-far

@RC7 Been quickly looking for a reputable link. BBC claims Heineken paid $45 mill to feature in skyfall. Considering you’re maybe talking 50 years of advertising that’s not bad. Just wish it was red stripe...

If we are adamant on judging NTTD financially, then please stop the talking about box office grosses and focus on the ROI-ratio, the real-time profits and sponsorships. Or at least focus on box office grosses in relationship to profits and ROI.
    If we are adamant on judging NTTD financially, then please stop the talking about box office grosses and focus on the ROI-ratio, the real-time profits and sponsorships. Or at least focus on box office grosses in relationship to profits and ROI.

I disagree. Granted, those may be more "legitimate" or more "correct" ways of judging the finances of films, but between BOMojo and what the average newspapers releases, it's mostly about the absolute figures. With Endgame surpassing Avatar, I don't recollect any of the excitement focussing on ROI's or the such. A few people were keen to point out that with inflation adjustments, Gone With The Wind is still at number 1. That was pretty much it. Absolute figures are one way to look at things, and not necessarily incorrect.

I disagree. Granted, those may be more "legitimate" or more "correct" ways of judging the finances of films, but between BOMojo and what the average newspapers releases, it's mostly about the absolute figures. With Endgame surpassing Avatar, I don't recollect any of the excitement focussing on ROI's or the such. A few people were keen to point out that with inflation adjustments, Gone With The Wind is still at number 1. That was pretty much it. Absolute figures are one way to look at things, and not necessarily incorrect.

The Bond-franchise here is in troubled, actually...bad financial waters, not Marvel. What Kevin Feige is doing is exactly what Cubby did in the 1960's, albeit under different circumstances geopolitically and geoeconomically. But Feige….he admires Cubby. So Marvel (Disney) can focus on those box office gross figures (ticket sales) while not worrying too much about ROI and profits. With Bond that's now, unfortunately, a different story. Look at SP. That Bond-flick barely broke even. Barbara and Michael...…..they pumped millions on all those expensive bespoke DB10's, but without a clear plan.

Also don't forget that even with inflation corrections the Return-On-Investments of GWTW where unbelievably huge. Nowadays costs in movie business have skyrocketed, even for Marvel. But at least Marvel appeals to larger audiences than Bond. Is it that much to ask for….for Bond to appeal to larges audiences? Are we really that fed up with at least parts of Cubby's vision? What Kevin Feige, Kathleen Kennedy and Tom Cruise can, can not be done by Barbara & Michael? Come on.....

I just read "When Harry Met Cubby"...…..and it saddens me to say that Barbara and Michael nowadays treat the franchise more like Harry did, and not like Cubby did. Especially in between two Bond-productions. And that's not a positive conclusion.
    http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20151001-does-bonds-product-placement-go-too-far

@RC7 Been quickly looking for a reputable link. BBC claims Heineken paid $45 mill to feature in skyfall. Considering you’re maybe talking 50 years of advertising that’s not bad. Just wish it was red stripe...

Indeed. What saddens me is that most of that sum goes straight into the banks of Danjaq, and will not be used to actually (co-)finance a Bond-film or a next Bond-film. That's what…makes me get an unsettling feeling!Thanks for that link @Matt007 ;-).