NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Didn't CJF said that he cares about his films to be both critical and financial success .
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 13,031
    Worry's not the word. Separate from how I like the film or judge its quality, I'd like it to do very very well at the box office.

I do realise that over the top success can be a double-edged sword.
    EON obviously cares about how the film does financially! I am talking from the perspective of a fan. No one wants the film to fail of course. But as a fan I am not going to invest a lot of worry or thought into things like timing of the release date, competition, marketing and sponsors, wether the film will satisfie the Asian market etc, etc, etc... What matters to me is that I like the film.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    jobo wrote: »
    EON obviously cares about how the film does financially! I am talking from the perspective of a fan. No one wants the film to fail of course. But as a fan I am not going to invest a lot of worry or thought into things like timing of the release date, competition, marketing and sponsors, wether the film will satisfie the Asian market etc, etc, etc...
    Neither will I. I do hope it beats HAPPY FEET 6.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Bond has done "better" the last two films. I'm talking about dollar-wise bumping the gross overall.

@RichardTheBruce yeah that is true if it goes higher for the U.S. gross the better because we know Bond dominates overseas
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    $1.007 billion worldwide.
    Capturing the US audience is key to one billion.
    Tuck91 wrote: »

@Tuck91 Rami Malek helps with capturing a US audience.
  • RC7RC7

As noted before, I’ll take a passable Box Office if the film is a corker. It’s obviously fun, as fans, to revel in the financial success of a new Bond, but when has that really happened (particularly in Box Office terms) in the last 30 years?

SF was an anomaly in those terms, a welcome one, but an anomaly nonetheless. Beyond this CR was undoubtably an unexpected critical success, while GE was regarded very positively on the whole. Beyond that it’s a mixed bag, with one of the more financially successful (DAD) also being gradually relegated to the foot of most rankings. SF has really skewed fans’ expectations in this regard.

As Bond fans our sole interest is surely in whether it’s a great Bond film, period? If so, the Box Office may or may not follow, but that is secondary. We all have our favourites in the canon and when discussing them, BO is hardly ever used as a yardstick.

All these threads tend to do is work as conduit for doom-mongers to prophecise what a disaster it’s going to be.
    Box office depends more on Marketing and less on film's quality so yes whether or not this film will get paas 1 billion would solely depends on Marketing.
    Box office depends more on Marketing and less on film's quality so yes whether or not this film will get paas 1 billion would solely depends on Marketing.

I'll have to disagree.

Marketing is key in generating excitement and awareness. Therefore it will need a killer trailer, set visits and press conferences to generate excitement and awareness. Also, it will need a big commercial star to do the theme song. This will guarantee a healthy opening weekend worldwide.

However, the film will taper off quickly if there is a tepid response. You want to produce a great unmissable film. The key word here is 'unmissable'.

They need to make something people speak about on social media and at work/school. Suddenly, something people were aware of has become a must-see film.

Bond has the advantage of being Bond in the UK and Europe. But the goodwill can be squandered if people see the film shrug and say it was "okay". People will stay at home and watch whatever the new 'unmissable Netflix or HBO show is.

If the film is to be successful and possibly pass $1billion it'll need more than good marketing. it needs to be 'unmissable'.

Eon need some big hooks to get people excited. From what I can see, Bond 25 has the following going for it:
    • It's the last DC film. They should focus on that;
    • It has Rami Malek who is a huge star currently thanks to BoRhap;
    • It's riding a new feminist wave and there are rumoured plans to introduce a female 007; and
    • We could see the death of Bond! They should play into the whole 'final film' angle! This trope is fast becoming fashionable for blockbusters and the box office results speak for themselves.

edited April 2019 Posts: 2,541

I'll have to disagree.

Marketing is key in generating excitement and awareness. Therefore it will need a killer trailer, set visits and press conferences to generate excitement and awareness. Also, it will need a big commercial star to do the theme song. This will guarantee a healthy opening weekend worldwide.

However, the film will taper off quickly if there is a tepid response. You want to produce a great unmissable film. The key word here is 'unmissable'.

They need to make something people speak about on social media and at work/school. Suddenly, something people were aware of has become a must-see film.

Bond has the advantage of being Bond in the UK and Europe. But the goodwill can be squandered if people see the film shrug and say it was "okay". People will stay at home and watch whatever the new 'unmissable Netflix or HBO show is.

If the film is to be successful and possibly pass $1billion it'll need more than good marketing. it needs to be 'unmissable'.

Eon need some big hooks to get people excited. From what I can see, Bond 25 has the following going for it:
    • It's the last DC film. They should focus on that;
    • It has Rami Malek who is a huge star currently thanks to BoRhap;
    • It's riding a new feminist wave and there are rumoured plans to introduce a female 007; and
    • We could see the death of Bond! They should play into the whole 'final film' angle! This trope is fast becoming fashionable for blockbusters and the box office results speak for themselves.

Not really think about it, SP had such a bad script and even bad execution still it got close to 900 million worldwide, but merely depends on Marketing, started with:
    1) Script leaked an year before films release which got it promoting before production begins.
    2) SF success also had some influence on the people being a direct sequel to it.
    3) Returning cast and crew and new faces that got it to market Such as Christoph waltz, Monica bellucci,
    4) Video blogs on social media did the rest: Austria sequence/ Day of the Dead festival etc.
    5) SP return after 40 years to the screen as well which created a lot of buzz.

It didn't entirely depends on Marketing but SP was bad mouthed by everyone I knew at that point still that film earned a lot .
    This film also started buzz before production Danny Boyle departure, Two new release dates although from what I have seen feminism involvement might not be a best idea I have seen a whole lot of comments already say bad things about the involvement of a feminist writer but we will see what she injects to it.
    They should definitely use it as DC's last film/ Rami malek involvement/ Theme song other than that we have yet see how this film marketing going to be.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Lol

Lol

@Benjamin_Weekly69 ?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Lol
    @Benjamin_Weekly69 ?
    He will help too.
    Very interesting read.....
    https://mobile.twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1129555954310307840

Essentially, Bond 25 has an ‘age’ issue. The new, edgy reinvention of Bond May be getting stale since it hit the reboot button in 2006.

Audiences have grown very ADD and the almost 5 year gap may be problematic.

Though the amount of media attention that Craig’s alleged injury got (even though it was non-story) so there is clearly still interesting.

Interesting and even-handed article nonetheless
  • RC7RC7
    Very interesting read.....
    https://mobile.twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1129555954310307840

Essentially, Bond 25 has an ‘age’ issue. The new, edgy reinvention of Bond May be getting stale since it hit the reboot button in 2006.

Audiences have grown very ADD and the almost 5 year gap may be problematic.

Though the amount of media attention that Craig’s alleged injury got (even though it was non-story) so there is clearly still interesting.

Interesting and even-handed article nonetheless

The guy couldn’t even get Moore’s age correct.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Yeah he must have forgotten that Moore did three more films after MR.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The usual BS they write to get some visibility. They'll print anything these days
    I don't really follow the box office so fairly uninformed opinion here but I can't see it being as successful as SF or even SP. To me it just doesn't feel like the interest is there and I think SP might have lost a fair few people who jumped on the bandwagon after SF (and then the massive gap may have lost even more). But then again you never know. I remember a thread on here back in the day in the run up to SF where we were laughing at the idea of it making over 900 million and look what happened there.

Personally, as fun as it was to enjoy coming on here and finding out that SF had made even more money and beaten more and more films (I remember it beat The Dark Knight Rises which to me felt like a massive deal because of how big a pop culture impact Nolan's Batman had made), I wouldn't mind it if it didn't make a billion, break records, etc. I don't want Bond to compete with Marvel and co. Blockbusters today are often too bland and safe imo. So I wouldn't mind it if a more modest success forced them to lower the budget, giving them the freedom to take more risks and do stuff they wouldn't be able to do otherwise (like letting Bond smoke again). Not sure that'll ever happen though because of how reliant on product placement they are. I think Bond could definitely thrive as a more niche thing but I doubt Aston Martin, Omega, etc, would be happy with that.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Personally I saw no interest in SF and SP back then. Bond seems to be a franchise no one talks about, when a movie comes out everyone watches it and then no one talks about it anymore.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 1,661
    The box office is hard to call. On one hand it's a new Bond film and a long-ish gap so the hype level should be huge. On the other hand, Craig's profile has dropped. He hasn't made any big US blockbuster type films since SPECTRE so younger film goers may be less interested in him. I don't think it will gross close to a billion but it will do well enough to convince Craig to do a sixth or Eon recast with Chris Nolan on board as director. I can't see Bond 25 under-performing. $800 million type gross?

My gut feeling is if Bond 25 went over one billion worldwide gross, Craig would come back for a sixth. MGM would not want to lose their billion dollar Bond. I don't think Bond 25 will gross that amount but who knows!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I wonder if this will shatter records in Norway?

Beating Flåklypa Grand Prix?

I meant for Bond.

I meant for Bond.

Ah, I see. Don't think Bond 25 will come close to Flåklypa, no matter how brilliant it is.

I meant for Bond.

Ah, I see. Don't think Bond 25 will come close to Flåklypa, no matter how brilliant it is.

Hardly. Bond isn t for everyone, but Flåklypa was. Went to see it with seven, or eight, or was it nine? family members. Never happened before or after.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,291

I meant for Bond.

Hardly. Bond isn t for everyone, but Flåklypa was. Went to see it with seven, or eight, or was it nine? family members. Never happened before or after.

The appeal of Flåklypa was (and is) really something! Don't know how many times I've seen it through the years, but it's definitely a lot. The new films are quite popular too.

Just did a Google search about most popular films at the cinema in Norway, and according to Wikipedia, it looks like SP and QoS were both the second most popular films the year of their release. QoS beaten by Mamma Mia, and SP by Bølgen. There are no numbers from the years SF and CR were released in that Wikipedia article.

I guess Bond 25 will get competition by Black Widow next year, especially if both feature Norwegian locations – as Norway.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I personally agree with @jobo. Unless the film is a total flop that forces EON to close the books on Bond, I'm fine with whatever it does. None of the 80s Bond were record-smashing films, but most if not all of them will endure. Some were modest hits and have remained audience favourites, like OP. Others, like TLD and LTK, did somewhat struggle at first but have since gained a "cult" following willing to immortalise Dalton's short era as one of the highlights of the series. When I sit down to watch FYEO or TLD nowadays, it never bothers me that these films didn't bring in MR money or better: I'm just having a blast with some very respectable, enjoyable, well-made Bond films.

Right now, my ranking of the Craigs is as follows:

1) CR, 2) SP, 3) QOS, 4) SF

Clearly, BO performances do not influence my appreciation of the films. Like @jobo, I want a darn good Bond film, one that feels like it was made for me. That said,

- if B25 doesn't scoop up astronomical figures, we'll end up in that tiresome battle again with folks insisting the film isn't good because Captain Marvel made more money, and I'm sick and tired of that illogical reasoning.

- if B25 can't climb high enough at the BO, many will call it a tragic departure for Craig rather than a glamourous swansong, another illogical sentiment.

- if Craig goes out with a great movie AND a huge success, at least the fact of having to recast for B26 will not automatically lead them into a formulaic copy/paste job, thank goodness. Plus, it might help to motivate the suits to "get on with it", rather than leave us with empty cravings for another half a decade. ;-)

Just did a Google search about most popular films at the cinema in Norway, and according to Wikipedia, it looks like SP and QoS were both the second most popular films the year of their release. QoS beaten by Mamma Mia, and SP by Bølgen. There are no numbers from the years SF and CR were released in that Wikipedia article.

SF was No. 2 that year in Norway behind Kon-Tiki.