Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Spider-Man: Far From Home officially becomes the first solo Spider-Man movie to cross the $1 billion mark. 5 of the last 6 MCU films have earned at least $1 billion (Black Panther, Infinity War, Captain Marvel, Endgame and Far From Home).

That is some serious money making!!!! :-O

They gave Sony their second only billion dollar movie with Spidey. Blade will be the acid test if they're going to 'Disney' Marvel characters that shouldn't be Disneyfied.

I think Wesley Snipes when I hear the name Blade. This will be some challenge for Disney to make it a money maker because of what Blade is? Will he become part of an Avenger story? Be really interesting to see if I have understood things correctly.

I wish they would just do Dracula instead. I hope he at least features.

Anything is possible with Disney so watch this space?!! :)]

if you look at hte current comic runs, Blade is an avenger, so I think his inclusion will usher in Moon Knight and that would be rather tremendous.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Spider-Man: Far From Home officially becomes the first solo Spider-Man movie to cross the $1 billion mark. 5 of the last 6 MCU films have earned at least $1 billion (Black Panther, Infinity War, Captain Marvel, Endgame and Far From Home).

They gave Sony their second only billion dollar movie with Spidey. Blade will be the acid test if they're going to 'Disney' Marvel characters that shouldn't be Disneyfied.

I think Wesley Snipes when I hear the name Blade. This will be some challenge for Disney to make it a money maker because of what Blade is? Will he become part of an Avenger story? Be really interesting to see if I have understood things correctly.

if you look at hte current comic runs, Blade is an avenger, so I think his inclusion will usher in Moon Knight and that would be rather tremendous.

Yes. Moon Knight is high up on my wishlist.

To be honest I have no idea what goes on in the comic world, but thanks for informing me of that. Future looks pretty interesting then?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I think Disney is starting to realise that they are going to have to take certain risks with their projects now. Does anyone actually think a pg-13 Deadpool Movie is going to work?

Neither does Disney, they've stated a couple times that Deadpool would continue to be R rated.
    I think Disney is starting to realise that they are going to have to take certain risks with their projects now. Does anyone actually think a pg-13 Deadpool Movie is going to work?

Neither does Disney, they've stated a couple times that Deadpool would continue to be R rated.

Not seen the Deadpool movies as yet.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Not seen the Deadpool movies as yet.

They're good movies, though the second is merely "okay" and repeats some bits from the first.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2019 Posts: 15,686
    Andy Serkis is confirmed as director for Venom 2. This is the first major blockbuster he'll direct.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-2-andy-serkis-direct-1228724
    Andy Serkis is confirmed as director for Venom 2. This is the first major blockbuster he'll direct.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-2-andy-serkis-direct-1228724
    It's definitely an interesting choice. Given his work as Gollum and Caesar I definitely can see him working well in Venom, as more of an actors director.
    Very interesting choice? Be interesting to see what he does with the character?
    So Hulk was going to turn into red hulk in EG...what?
    So Hulk was going to turn into red hulk in EG...what?

Red Hulk, in the comics, is Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross, played by William Hurt in the MCU. They're two separate characters.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 222
    So Sony ends deal with Disney and Marvel over Spiderman? KF is no longer the lead creative producer and will have no involvement in the movies as will Disney/Marvel characters. So is this end of Tom Holland?

Sidenote = Tom Rothman (the head of Sony) hates cinema and loves money. He ruined the Wolverine and the first deadpool (and blocked it for 10 years) and a ton of other movies but he makes money for the studio. Creatively he cares little for film. He also tried to undo the Bond formula and cut budgets ahoy I believe.

https://nerdist.com/article/marvel-sony-end-spider-man-partnership/
    Really?? Not a big nerd myself, but I thought they had just started doing "proper" Spiderman films?
    Oh man, these times are getting too fast-changing for me...
    The thing is Far From Home wouldn't get anywhere near $1 billion if it wasn't for the MCU. Sony needs Marvel just as much as Marvel needs Sony.
    Let's see how long this lasts. Spidey's MCU story arc is nowhere near complete and Sony can't hope to keep raking in the dough otherwise.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    It’s just business, as far as I’m concerned. It’s a matter of time before Sony and Disney agree to a new deal again, but Disney will have to come down in their asking price.
    It’s just business, as far as I’m concerned. It’s a matter of time before Sony and Disney agree to a new deal again, but Disney will have to come down in their asking price.

Or they just bid an obscene amount to buy the Spider-Man rights back. The combined box office of the MCU would probably more than cover it.
    It will annoy me until the end of time if we don't get a third Spider-Man movie. I hate it when movies and tv shows finish with cliffhangers only to not find out what happens cause they get cancelled.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Never seen the appeal of Spider-man personally, but I do appreciate his importance to the MCU moving forward. It would be a shame if the cliff hanger at the end of FFH isn't resolved.
    It will annoy me until the end of time if we don't get a third Spider-Man movie. I hate it when movies and tv shows finish with cliffhangers only to not find out what happens cause they get cancelled.

Night Monkey is coming...seriously I'd think they'd ditch him as they've alreay laid the grounds for another webslinger...I would as I can't stand Tom Rothman as he just kills anything that's creative and logical - see The Wolverine and the first Deadpool for examples, he almost derailed Bond as well I believe with his type of studio notes.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Can't say I blame Sony too much in this regard. They've churned out some awful garbage in the last ten years but from a business point of view they are right to be standing firm.

Unless.....

How were the production costs split in the last two solo Spidey flicks? Does anyone know? I know Disney took home 5% but was that figure relative to the amount put in?
    Can't say I blame Sony too much in this regard. They've churned out some awful garbage in the last ten years but from a business point of view they are right to be standing firm.

Unless.....

How were the production costs split in the last two solo Spidey flicks? Does anyone know? I know Disney took home 5% but was that figure relative to the amount put in?

From what I know, Disney put no money in, and that's what this deal was an attempt to fix. Disney wanted to front 50% of the cost for 50% of the profit and Sony said "No".
    You see without Ironman and Captain America? That is a massive character hole for the Avenger films? Seeing as their are no Xmen or Fantastic 4 either with the heroes they offer up? Things could get messy?!
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 5,767
    You see without Ironman and Captain America? That is a massive character hole for the Avenger films? Seeing as their are no Xmen or Fantastic 4 either with the heroes they offer up? Things could get messy?!
    If I understand correctly, IM wasn´t the most popular Marvel character to begin with. Yet they made him into one of the strongest characters in the MCU. One could argue that it took them time with a number of solo films and a number of ensemble films. But I genuinely think that IM wouldn´t have been such a successful character if he didn´t work on a film-by-film basis, without the audience knowing or remembering the previous films. I for my part for instance found the first CA film boring, yet later on, Cap was one of the most impressive characters for me.
    I think it needn´t be a mess at all. All it takes is one good film with a smashing lead.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, IM wasn´t the most popular Marvel character to begin with. Yet they made him into one of the strongest characters in the MCU. One could argue that it took them time with a number of solo films and a number of ensemble films. But I genuinely think that IM wouldn´t have been such a successful character if he didn´t work on a film-by-film basis, without the audience knowing or remembering the previous films. I for my part for instance found the first CA film boring, yet later on, Cap was one of the most impressive characters for me.
    I think it needn´t be a mess at all. All it takes is one good film with a smashing lead.

I am guessing that Black Panther will now head the Avengers team?
    The MCU managed to survive for eight years without Spider-man. Why are people behaving as if Spider-man is essential to the franchise? And please spare me the whole "Spidey is Iron Man's successor" crap.

I have never considered Iron Man to be essential to the franchise. His last solo movie was back in 2013. The first two Iron Man movies were moderate hits. Only the third film was a big box office hit. And there have been plenty of other MCU characters who had hit films. The ONLY time Iron Man was the "leader of the Avengers" was between "Civil War" and "Infinity War" in which there were very few members of that team due to the Sokovia Accords transforming some of them into fugitives and prisoners. Two of them had been gone since "Age of Ultron"/ And now . . . people have been expecting a 17-18 year-old boy to automatically become the Avengers' new leader because . . . why? Why? Besides, I can't stand the MCU Spider-man movies. I think they are below mediocre. There were too many plot holes and I got tired of Peter Parker being Tony Stark's official fan boy and bitch.
    @DRush76, where does this discussion happen about Spiderman becoming the leader of the Avengers? I haven't read or heard anything about it.
    DRush76 wrote: »
    The MCU managed to survive for eight years without Spider-man. Why are people behaving as if Spider-man is essential to the franchise? And please spare me the whole "Spidey is Iron Man's successor" crap.

I have never considered Iron Man to be essential to the franchise. His last solo movie was back in 2013. The first two Iron Man movies were moderate hits. Only the third film was a big box office hit. And there have been plenty of other MCU characters who had hit films. The ONLY time Iron Man was the "leader of the Avengers" was between "Civil War" and "Infinity War" in which there were very few members of that team due to the Sokovia Accords transforming some of them into fugitives and prisoners. Two of them had been gone since "Age of Ultron"/ And now . . . people have been expecting a 17-18 year-old boy to automatically become the Avengers' new leader because . . . why? Why? Besides, I can't stand the MCU Spider-man movies. I think they are below mediocre. There were too many plot holes and I got tired of Peter Parker being Tony Stark's official fan boy and bitch.

You're vastly underplaying Iron Man's importance to the MCU. It doesn't matter if the first Iron Man film was a "moderate" hit, it was the fact that it was a hit that made the MCU. If that movie hadn't succeeded, there would be no MCU, no multibillion dollar powerhouse that changed the cinematic landscape. Tony Stark says it in that film "Sometimes you gotta run before you can walk", and that was what that film did.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Kit Harington officially confirmed to join The Eternals.

Black Panther 2 officially confirmed for May 6, 2022. Ryan Coogler returning to direct.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-2-release-date-kit-haringtons-role-eternals-confirmed-1233149