'This is MY Bond film' : which film means the most to YOU and why .

13»

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    well written @Legionnaire !
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Well there's 2. The is The Living Daylights, which is of course, my favourite Bond film, that I will defend to the hilt.

But there is also You Only Live Twice, my first Bond film. I have often said it, but I saw YOLT on VHS back in 1996 (I turned 11 later that year), on the newly release 007 Collection label, the one with this (still the best series trailer) before the film:

I used to love the film more when I was younger, and while I will always have a special place for it in my heart (attack the film for whatever reason, but it was the one that made me a fan), the older I get, the more that the rose tinted glasses fail. I will say this, YOLT still has the most melodious title track, and one of the best renditions of the Bond theme. My favourite use of the YOLT Bond theme, is when Bond chases down Hendersons assassin, chokes him and takes his place, all while the Bond theme is slowly playing the back round.
    For me, it's TLD... I'll write a post explaining why soon.
    peter wrote: »
    When CR came out, I saw it three times on the first day coz I was like, WTF happened??? This WAS the Bond film I was waiting for: sex, danger, a character who was so brave, macho, but fucking up as he took the next step forward, then, finally, finding the right step again... CR was exhilarating, and certainly gave me a re-birth into this universe again.
    Good points, right on!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Milovy wrote: »
    For me, it's TLD... I'll write a post explaining why soon.
    peter wrote: »
    When CR came out, I saw it three times on the first day coz I was like, WTF happened??? This WAS the Bond film I was waiting for: sex, danger, a character who was so brave, macho, but fucking up as he took the next step forward, then, finally, finding the right step again... CR was exhilarating, and certainly gave me a re-birth into this universe again.
    Good points, right on!

TLD is NO. 4 for me!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 2017 Posts: 6,759
    I've got two actually: On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Licence to Kill.

Ever since I became a fan I've always been a staunch defender of both George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton. I felt that they both gave great performances that were unjustly overlooked by mass media and general public alike.

I also liked these films for being different before that happened in every episode (the pre-Craig era). In both films Bond goes through a lot on a personal level and it gives for a very invested watch. Both tackle two very different but engaging themes: OHMSS is about love and LTK is about friendship.

Furthermore, I've always been a fan of two decades for various reasons: the 60's and the 80's. OHMSS is the ultimate 60's chique-film and LTK carries that unmistakable 80's touch, which some hold against it but I absolutely love that.

So yeah, my two Bond films are: On Her Majesty's Secret Service from 1969 and Licence to Kill from 1989, which happens to be my birth year too.
    @GoldenGun Nice! Good points, as well.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I also liked these films for being different before that happened in every episode (the pre-Craig era). In both films Bond goes through a lot on a personal level and it gives for a very invested watch. Both tackle two very different but engaging themes: OHMSS is about love and LTK is about friendship.

Furthermore, I've always been a fan of two decades for various reasons: the 60's and the 80's. OHMSS is the ultimate 60's chique-film and LTK carries that unmistakable 80's touch, which some hold against it but I absolutely love that.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Thanks @Milovy!
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Echoing some other sentiments, but it has to be TMWTGG. Not because it is the best film, or because RM was the best Bond, but it was the first 007 film I watched, and the one which made me a fan of the film franchise.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited May 2017 Posts: 4,548
    This is a tough question, because the Bond film that I think is "mine" is different than the one that "means the most" to me.

DAF is my Bond film. Mine. I say this because few fans like it. It's a piece of trash, really. But, oh, don't we all love our trash sometimes? Part of the allure is Vegas in the 70s, the other part is Barry''s score (which is one of his best and most underrated), and part is the pure wackiness. Given that Twin peaks just returned, I am reminded that DAF is the closest thing to a David Lynch Bond film.

But then SF is the one that means the most; it's the one Bond film that "spoke" to me--and still does. There were several scenes/lines that left an impression. At one point, Bond says to M, after being briefed, "Anything else you want to tell me?" (expecting an apology). When it doesn't come, the look of disappointment on Bond's face (some of DC's best acting) is powerful. And a bit later, when Q talks about the old ship being taking off for scraps...jeez, it's laid on thick, but it still worked for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bumping this for new members.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    It'll always be GoldenEye for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Remington wrote: »
    It'll always be GoldenEye for me.

Because it was your first or because it is your favourite?
    Definitely
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS.
    Enjoyed Roger Moore Bonds immensely, but knew it was time for change. But I wasn't impressed when it looked like it was going to be Pierce Brosnan. The press here in Ireland were all over the story, but I was in despair. When Timothy Dalton was announced, though I hadn't seen him much in film (Agatha, Flash Gordon), I had a strong feeling they had the right man.
    Opening weekend, I went Sunday afternoon (I always went on that day for new Bond movies, just a habit!)
    When the gunbarrel appeared, I was convinced there and then, and the pts....and that first shot of him..WOW, I was blown away! Loved the film, still do!
    Daltons my favourite Bond and always will be!
    The next time I felt like that was for CR!
    After all the horrible negative press (and those morons in Craignotbond!) It was a stunning film and Craig had the last laugh.
    Still keep some if the new paper reviews. All positive!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    "MY" Bond movie is not my favourite Bond movie. It's the movie I was most insanely stoked to see, the one I waited with baited breath for, and one that did not disappoint me: Tomorrow Never Dies. GE would be the runner up.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Probably Goldeneye for nostalgic reasons, but I love Octopussy so much that it might be 'the one' for me. In fact I'm tempted to put it at number one on my rankings, but there's things other films do better that make me hesitate to do that
  • Goldfinger- I was ten years old and my Dad took me to see a “Golden Girl,” a gadget laden Aston Martin DB5, Oddjob with his lethal hat, Fort Knox and an atomic device, the ultimate villain with the strange name and last but not least Sean Connery as the best still to this day- James Bond!

It got me hooked and 55 years later I am anxiously awaiting Bond 25!!!!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Living Daylights

Although i'd always liked the Bond films, this was the film that turned me into a die hard fan. I loved that Dalton was playing the Bond from the novels and i was thrilled that this was a more serious interpretation.

Everything just clicked for me in this film. The silliness had gone, the action had a harder edge and it had a real Fleming flavour to it.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    FredJB007 wrote: »
    Goldfinger- I was ten years old and my Dad took me to see a “Golden Girl,” a gadget laden Aston Martin DB5, Oddjob with his lethal hat, Fort Knox and an atomic device, the ultimate villain with the strange name and last but not least Sean Connery as the best still to this day- James Bond!

It got me hooked and 55 years later I am anxiously awaiting Bond 25!!!!

You'll get on well with our very own @Birdleson.
    The Living Daylights

Although i'd always liked the Bond films, this was the film that turned me into a die hard fan. I loved that Dalton was playing the Bond from the novels and i was thrilled that this was a more serious interpretation.

Everything just clicked for me in this film. The silliness had gone, the action had a harder edge and it had a real Fleming flavour to it.

"Great minds...." LeonardPine.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    The Living Daylights

"Great minds...." LeonardPine.

Definitely! :D
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Goldeneye. I also mean the game when I say that too.

It was the first Bond I saw in the cinema, and the game was what got me into gaming. Very fond of it.

Is it the greatest Bond movie ever made? Who knows? But is it my favourite? Definitely.