Critically Acclaimed Films You Don't Like

12346»

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,497
    There are a lot of films I just can't seem to enjoy. Here's the first (critically acclaimed) ones that I could think of:

- Batman Begins
    - The Dark Knight
    - The Dark Knight Rises
    - Inception
    - Skyfall
    - Spectre
    - The Harry Potter series
    - The Matrix
    - Most of the Disney film catalogue (too "cute" for my tastes; Disney characters (or rather the main characters in almost any film) are painfully perfect – and as a result totally uninteresting)
    - 2001: A Space Odyssey
    - Max Manus
    - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Now you're hard to please!!!

I guess so…

I can elaborate my list a bit:
    - Avatar is just visuals, there's nothing interesting as far as story goes.
    - I can't sit through most of Nolan's films; they're totally uninteresting. The only one I kinda like is Memento, because it's a small film with an interesting concept – unlike the overblown films that followed.
    - SF and SP I've covered in detail before on other threads. Sorry, Sam!
    - The Harry Potter films are just a bit boring, IMO. Much prefer the books.
    - The Matrix is a film that's fine to watch once; multiple viewings, not so much…
    - Disney in general only produces films that are morality tales, love tales, etc. – often featuring very "perfect" characters. I much more prefer the characters of other studios; Daffy Duck, Sylvester the cat, Tom & Jerry. The list goes on.
    - 2001: A Space Odyssey and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are films I really tried to like, but just couldn't – and I can't really put my finger on why, necessary.
    - Max Manus is one of the most popular Norwegian films ever, yet I found little of interest here, other than the historical background. I'd rather read books on the events the film is based on.

Yeah Avatar just completely disappeared from pop culture. Sequels are being released until 2025 for Pete's sake.

I still don't understand how this movie was the highest grossing (modern) film until this year: Cameron's arrogance? the so called new camera (which was already used for at least one other film)?

• edited July 2019 Posts: 17,241
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    There are a lot of films I just can't seem to enjoy. Here's the first (critically acclaimed) ones that I could think of:

- Batman Begins
    - The Dark Knight
    - The Dark Knight Rises
    - Inception
    - Skyfall
    - Spectre
    - The Matrix
    - Most of the Disney film catalogue (too "cute" for my tastes; Disney characters (or rather the main characters in almost any film) are painfully perfect – and as a result totally uninteresting)
    - Max Manus

I guess so…

- I can't sit through most of Nolan's films; they're totally uninteresting. The only one I kinda like is Memento, because it's a small film with an interesting concept – unlike the overblown films that followed.
    - The Matrix is a film that's fine to watch once; multiple viewings, not so much…
    - Disney in general only produces films that are morality tales, love tales, etc. – often featuring very "perfect" characters. I much more prefer the characters of other studios; Daffy Duck, Sylvester the cat, Tom & Jerry. The list goes on.
    - 2001: A Space Odyssey and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are films I really tried to like, but just couldn't – and I can't really put my finger on why, necessary.
    - Max Manus is one of the most popular Norwegian films ever, yet I found little of interest here, other than the historical background. I'd rather read books on the events the film is based on.

Yeah Avatar just completely disappeared from pop culture. Sequels are being released until 2025 for Pete's sake.

I still don't understand how this movie was the highest grossing (modern) film until this year: Cameron's arrogance? the so called new camera (which was already used for at least one other film)?

2027, according to IMDb…

I don't get it either. There's nothing special about that film; I guess the film being directed by Cameron had something to about it, but still…

- Batman Begins
    - The Dark Knight
    - The Dark Knight Rises
    - Inception
    - Skyfall
    - Spectre
    - The Matrix
    - Max Manus

I guess so…

2027, according to IMDb…

I don't get it either. There's nothing special about that film; I guess the film being directed by Cameron had something to about it, but still…

What, 2027???

:-? :-q

- Batman Begins
    - The Dark Knight
    - The Dark Knight Rises
    - Inception
    - Skyfall
    - Spectre
    - The Matrix
    - Max Manus

I guess so…

2027, according to IMDb…

What, 2027???

Yes, Avatar 5

- Batman Begins
    - The Dark Knight
    - The Dark Knight Rises
    - Inception
    - Skyfall
    - Spectre
    - The Matrix
    - Max Manus

I guess so…

2027, according to IMDb…

What, 2027???

Yes, Avatar 5

I thought I'd read 2025, but anyway...

Just... why?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There are thousands of films I don t get the point of, but AVATAR was a masterpiece and I am very much looking forward to the sequels.

- Batman Begins
    - The Dark Knight
    - The Dark Knight Rises
    - Inception
    - Skyfall
    - Spectre
    - The Matrix
    - Max Manus

I guess so…

2027, according to IMDb…

What, 2027???

Yes, Avatar 5

Just... why?

Why, indeed. And the first sequel won't be released until 2021 – 12 years after the original.

- Batman Begins
    - The Dark Knight
    - The Dark Knight Rises
    - Inception
    - Skyfall
    - Spectre
    - The Matrix
    - Max Manus

I guess so…

2027, according to IMDb…

What, 2027???

Yes, Avatar 5

Just... why?

Why, indeed. And the first sequel won't be released until 2021 – 12 years after the original.

C85ybQ9.gif

- Batman Begins
    - The Dark Knight
    - The Dark Knight Rises
    - Inception
    - Skyfall
    - Spectre
    - The Matrix
    - Max Manus

I guess so…

2027, according to IMDb…

What, 2027???

Yes, Avatar 5

Just... why?

C85ybQ9.gif

:))

- Batman Begins
    - The Dark Knight
    - The Dark Knight Rises
    - Inception
    - Skyfall
    - Spectre
    - The Matrix
    - Max Manus

I guess so…

2027, according to IMDb…

What, 2027???

Yes, Avatar 5

Just... why?

C85ybQ9.gif

Or when a friend tells me "I'm looking forward to those sequels man".

JnA4S6B.gif

- Batman Begins
    - The Dark Knight
    - The Dark Knight Rises
    - Inception
    - Skyfall
    - Spectre
    - The Matrix
    - Max Manus

I guess so…

2027, according to IMDb…

What, 2027???

Yes, Avatar 5

Just... why?

C85ybQ9.gif

Or when a friend tells me "I'm looking forward to those sequels man".

JnA4S6B.gif

7E2eTU6.gif
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 12,242
    Ludovico wrote: »
    The message of Forrest Gump: do as you're told, don't ask questions and you will be rewarded.

Yeah. Ask questions, rebel and buck the system = Die of Aids

Nice message.

I respectfully have to disagree with these interpretations of the film. How much was Gump really rewarded? He made good money and got by, but it's emphasized throughout the film that all he really wanted was Jenny, who evaded him most of his life and he ended up losing her as soon as he was finally settled with her. Despite any material success Forrest gained, his heart was repeatedly broken by the one woman he loved. Jenny did die young (it's never explicitly revealed as AIDS, though many have assumed this), but I don't think the point was to villainize people against the system - just a result of the risks taken by the character. If there's any "message" takeaway that I get from the movie, it's found in the scene with Forrest wondering if life is based on destiny or chance or both. Perhaps it was cruel destiny that allowed all the good and bad things to happen to Forrest and Jenny? Or just blind chance?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Under the Skin

My blood pressure still hasn't recovered. I just can't stand that film. The TV is lucky it didn't go through a window.
    AVATAR (2009) - girl I was seeing at the time thought this was the greatest movie ever made and demanded I agree with her. I showed her the door instead, which was far more entertaining than this pretentious CGI fest. You would have to pay me the inflation adjusted equivalent of Connery's salary for DIAMONDS to even consider watching one of the upcoming sequels. And, no I wouldn't donate that to charity like Sean did. I'd keep it for myself.

FORREST GUMP (1994) - I might appreciate this more now, but I thought it was overrated at the time.

SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE (1998) - I barely remember it.

THE DARK KNIGHT (2008) - I don't exactly dislike it, but I prefer BATMAN BEGINS and the Burton films. I prefer the 1949 serial with Robert Lowery, actually.

LORD OF THE RINGS (2001) - I don't even remember that film's subtitle. I do like one thing, though. Christopher Lee is in it.

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS (2013)- That's the Khan reboot, right? I prefer Ricardo Montalban.

MAN OF STEEL (2013) - tries so hard to be like a Nolan film I get the impression DC is ashamed of the character it's trying to re-boot here. At that point...........there's simply no point.
    And thus, this film ended my association with paying money too see movies in the cinema.
    2013 was the year I quit cold turkey going to the movies (except for special occasions like Bond).
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    2013 was the year I quit cold turkey going to the movies (except for special occasions like Bond).

I don't go to the movies anymore either – unless it's Bond or part of an evening out with friends. There are so few films I actually want to see, and I feel I get a better experience at home anyway; none of the annoying people loudly eating their snacks, no people speaking throughout the film, constantly checking their phones, etc.
    Citizen Kane

I don´t care if you tell me how "groundbreaking" it supposedly is, or how "creatively" or "artistically" it was shot and directed. Watching it is a completely disengaging borefest!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Under the Skin

My blood pressure still hasn't recovered. I just can't stand that film. The TV is lucky it didn't go through a window.

Interesting choice. I love that one.
    jobo wrote: »
    Citizen Kane

I don´t care if you tell me how "groundbreaking" it supposedly is, or how "creatively" or "artistically" it was shot and directed. Watching it is a completely disengaging borefest!

I guess it's mostly groundbreaking because it defied film grammar conventions and rules of the time.

I don't go to the movies anymore either – unless it's Bond or part of an evening out with friends. There are so few films I actually want to see, and I feel I get a better experience at home anyway; none of the annoying people loudly eating their snacks, no people speaking throughout the film, constantly checking their phones, etc.

Very true. In addition, the newer theaters lack the atmosphere of the old luxury cinemas. Beautiful curtains, high ceilings, balconies, artwork, gargoyles, stained glass windows, fresh popcorn, and so forth,
    Multiplexes simply do not have the same vibe, and movies today do not feel like an event.
    Now some multiplexes aren't that bad. Stadium seating is king of convenient for those who don't like to look over the heads of audience member in front, but the atmosphere just isn't there.

The thing that bothers me most is, IMO, current re-boots of iconic characters tend to depart so much from original source they end up a poor example for those being exposed to these characters for the first time. I saw the Russell Crowe ROBIN HOOD (2010) with a date and her daughter and basically ended up explaining Robin Hood afterwards, because they just didn't get it based on that film. Even the Kevin Costner version was a better example of that story than this.

Under the Skin

Have to say i liked that.
    Quite mesmerizing!
    And Scarlet starkers helps an awful lot!!,
    Particularly that mirror scene!
    Agree 're Avatar...hated it, 'Dances with Smurfs' was a better moniker for it! Awful film.
    Under the Skin

Managed to get under your skin then, obviously ;)

Very true. In addition, the newer theaters lack the atmosphere of the old luxury cinemas. Beautiful curtains, high ceilings, balconies, artwork, gargoyles, stained glass windows, fresh popcorn, and so forth,
    Multiplexes simply do not have the same vibe, and movies today do not feel like an event.
    Now some multiplexes aren't that bad. Stadium seating is king of convenient for those who don't like to look over the heads of audience member in front, but the atmosphere just isn't there.

The thing that bothers me most is, IMO, current re-boots of iconic characters tend to depart so much from original source they end up a poor example for those being exposed to these characters for the first time. I saw the Russell Crowe ROBIN HOOD (2010) with a date and her daughter and basically ended up explaining Robin Hood afterwards, because they just didn't get it based on that film. Even the Kevin Costner version was a better example of that story than this.

Can't say I've ever been to one of those old luxury cinemas myself. Living in a small town we only have a small cinema; no IMAX or things like that. There's only one IMAX theatre in the country, I think. The strange thing is, out of the three screens the local cinema, it's the two smaller ones I prefer – and the smallest most of them all. I don't know why really; the smaller room just seem a little bit better to me. I would absolutely love to experience an old fashion (luxury) cinema though. Tarantino owns one, doesn't he?

Definitely get your issue with reboots of iconic characters, too. Actually, I'm not a big fan of reboots in general…
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    The message of Forrest Gump: do as you're told, don't ask questions and you will be rewarded.

Yeah. Ask questions, rebel and buck the system = Die of Aids

Nice message.

I respectfully have to disagree with these interpretations of the film. How much was Gump really rewarded? He made good money and got by, but it's emphasized throughout the film that all he really wanted was Jenny, who evaded him most of his life and he ended up losing her as soon as he was finally settled with her. Despite any material success Forrest gained, his heart was repeatedly broken by the one woman he loved. Jenny did die young (it's never explicitly revealed as AIDS, though many have assumed this), but I don't think the point was to villainize people against the system - just a result of the risks taken by the character. If there's any "message" takeaway that I get from the movie, it's found in the scene with Forrest wondering if life is based on destiny or chance or both. Perhaps it was cruel destiny that allowed all the good and bad things to happen to Forrest and Jenny? Or just blind chance?

This. I

Can't say I've ever been to one of those old luxury cinemas myself. Living in a small town we only have a small cinema; no IMAX or things like that. There's only one IMAX theatre in the country, I think. The strange thing is, out of the three screens the local cinema, it's the two smaller ones I prefer – and the smallest most of them all. I don't know why really; the smaller room just seem a little bit better to me. I would absolutely love to experience an old fashion (luxury) cinema though. Tarantino owns one, doesn't he?

Definitely get your issue with reboots of iconic characters, too. Actually, I'm not a big fan of reboots in general…

I've often found smaller screens to have superior sound in comparison with larger, non-IMAX screens.

But if that's the case, I'd sooner just watch the film at home.
    The Lord of the Rings movies.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,241

I've often found smaller screens to have superior sound in comparison with larger, non-IMAX screens.

But if that's the case, I'd sooner just watch the film at home.

Yes, that's the thing, my local cinema only offers a few things I can't get at home; 3D (if it's a 3D release), a bigger screen, (loud) surround sound, and a way to spend an evening out. It's only worth it for that last part, IMO.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Hitchcock's The Birds

Charles Laughton's The Night of the Hunter

talos7 wrote: »
    Hitchcock's The Birds

Charles Laughton's The Night of the Hunter

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER is one I didn't quite appreciate at first oddly being a huge Mitchum fan. However it's grown on me and now is one of my favorites.