The Boredom Thread: What do you find boring (and why)?

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited September 2020 in General Discussion Posts: 17,728
Welcome to the Boredom Thread. So I thought I would create this thread to collate stories of what you find boring in everyday life, whether at work or at home, or even while at school or university. As the thread title indicates I'd also like to know the reasons why you find certain things boring.

Conversely, hopefully this will be an interesting discussion about what you find boring (and why)!

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    • Smalltalk.
    • Sports on television.
    • "Big events" like the Olympics and the Eurosong contest.

Tedious, all of these.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Cricket. Can't understand the popularity of this so called "sport". Douglas Adams' said that cricket was "almost entertainingly dull".
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A lot of football talk at work, and I immediately tune out.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    People who overveloborate an answer when a one word response would have sufficed.

Terrestrial TV the majority of the content is brain numbing, when work colleagues talk about soaps and reality TV, my eyes become glazed and I tune out
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Long lectures by mono toned people.
    People who overveloborate an answer when a one word response would have sufficed.

Terrestrial TV the majority of the content is brain numbing, when work colleagues talk about soaps and reality TV, my eyes become glazed and I tune out

Especially with 24 hours news stations. The story is about 10 minutes long. Yet they stretch it out to ad nauseam.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    royale65 wrote: »

Especially with 24 hours news stations. The story is about 10 minutes long. Yet they stretch it out to ad nauseam.

Absolutely, its even worse when they may have a story you are interested though make you wait until the end of the news loop. Thank god for google we can just hop online read said news and then its done
    My ethics class.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 23,105
    My ethics class.

I often struggled with Religious Studies Lectures, though that was down to me and the tutor not getting on
    This one's so dry and boring. Thank goodness I'm done by Thursday.
    Most of the speculation about BOND 25.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    My ethics class.

I often struggled with Religious Studies Lectures, though that was down to me and the tutor not getting on

That was me with Land Law. It's a deathly dull and impenetrable subject.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 23,105
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    My ethics class.

I lasted six weeks with Religious Studies then changed my minor to English Literature, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 17,728
    My ethics class.

I lasted six weeks with Religious Studies then changed my minor to English Literature, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Yes, I did English Literature as the Minor part of my undergraduate History degree as well. We were told at the time of registration that we had to take on a minor subject in first year as well so I chose English as I was best at it and had studied it for A Level. I then just kept it on for the three years of the degree.
  • kg54mvpkg54mvp USA
    Weekdays. Going to bed early to get up early, punching in the clock, doing the same tasks at work.
    My ethics class.

Yes, I did English Literature as the Minor part of my undergraduate History degree as well. We were told at the time of registration that we had to take on a minor subject in first year as well so I chose English as I was best at it and had studied it for A Level. I then just kept it on for the three years of the degree.

I studied English at A level so it was an easy transition, it's a subject I always enjoyed. Studying something you don't enjoy can be difficult, enthusiasm and motivation are key factor's in learning I think.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I don't often get bored these days because I've become very, very good at tuning out of life and letting my mind wander. Especially in meetings.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Most of the speculation about BOND 25.

Indeed.
    A lot of football talk at work, and I immediately tune out.

I'm in agreement with you as I mentioned in the OP. I think that the two sketches below perfectly illustrate my feelings about football and boring football talk and post-match analysis by armchair pundits:

Firstly, on the whole royal "we" ownership of football fans with their teams and players:

On the utter boredom of the unending nature of football:

"It will never be finally decided who has won the football!" :))
    Yep, total insanity.
    Yep, total insanity.

It certainly is. Thank goodness that we have James Bond fandom to fall back on! :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Forum threads that focus on the negative. Yawn.
    QBranch wrote: »

So mainly all of the Bond 25 analysis threads then? ;)

You're both boring and negative! ;)

Welcome to my world.

Welcome to my world.

Don't worry Draggers. We're all a little boring.

Welcome to my world.

Don't worry Draggers. We're all a little boring.

True, though at least we're not as boring as this sketch character (played by our own Charlie Higson) from The Fast Show:

edited July 2019 Posts: 4,418
    I've always fancied being a stop - motion animation artist. Very boring, erm, relaxing.
    I've always fancied being a stop - motion animation artist. Very boring, erm, relaxing.

Yes, you get as much as a second of film every day. That's on a good day. ;)