No Time to Die production thread

Comments

If Bond drives three different Aston Martins in the film, then it’s excessive. I don’t like this latest electric one. Astons always had a refined elegance which this one is missing. I hope Bond won’t be driving it but I guess he probably will be...
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Getafix wrote: »
    Those references could be unintentional. If they are not, then someone is doing their best to pique my interest. Would it be expecting too much for a little of Ice Lake Chase to play, if the V8 Vantage is involved in an action sequence?

I don't think either reference can be unintentional. The V8 even has the same number-plate as in TLD doesn't it? And using the same painting behind M's desk as in TLD takes the reference even further.

TLD is one of my favourites, but I don't want them to take this too far. Don't want to end up in DAD territory with all those lame 20th film commemorative references.

+1. The overabundance of homages makes movies like The Force Awakens, Solo and Jurassic World unwatchable to me. The number-plate and the painting are fine since they are not intrusive (and I'll be honest, I wouldn't have even noticed them if it weren't for you guys), but I don't want them to recreate scenes from previous movies or even directly quote them.
    Pavlo wrote: »
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Those references could be unintentional. If they are not, then someone is doing their best to pique my interest. Would it be expecting too much for a little of Ice Lake Chase to play, if the V8 Vantage is involved in an action sequence?

I don't think either reference can be unintentional. The V8 even has the same number-plate as in TLD doesn't it? And using the same painting behind M's desk as in TLD takes the reference even further.

TLD is one of my favourites, but I don't want them to take this too far. Don't want to end up in DAD territory with all those lame 20th film commemorative references.

Yes, no question CF and MT, in art direction etc., are deliberately making respectful nods to TLD. It would have been CF's second Bond film on the big screen when he was kid, so the film, the new Bond, Dalton, would have made an impression. I also love TLD and Dalton. I suspect Craig is a fan of Dalton too - note the charity video making fun of "who is the best Bond", and one of the crew ends with, "Mind you, Dalton was solid."

Wouldn't hurt if they took inspiration from its score, either. Barry's last is arguably one of his best -- sweeping, pulse-pounding, and distinctly Bondian through and through.

I'm sure Arnold could pull it off. ;)

Surely we should hear the composer decision any day now? I suspect they want Justin Hurwitz, but I think it'll be Dan Romer.

Maybe producers want J. Hurwitz but I do think that Cary wants to work with Dan Romer who had great experience working with CJF on two absolutely different projects. For Dan Bond25 will be a huge career jump. I think producers will let director pick who he wants.

Much as they were happy to get an Oscar-caliber (and truly wonderful) composer in Tom Newman, I think they'd also have to know by now that the last score for SPECTRE doesn't seem to have been particularly well-received.

It's an interesting dilemma, and probably quite an interesting negotiation as well.

EON acquiesced to Mendes and asked Arnold to sit the last two out, and one might think they'd like their (generally loved) resident go-to option back in the fold to mitigate risk. On the other hand, someone like Cary Fukunaga doesn't sign up for a picture like this without ensuring a certain degree of creative control, especially after what happened to Boyle -- and composer choice might make sense as one element the producers are comfortable trading off in exchange for other things.

On top of all this, though is the consideration -- what if CJF simply loves David Arnold as well and is happy to have him back? A reliable, strong hand on the music would be an advantage to Cary in a franchise he's taking the reigns of for the first time. Perhaps, if he's pushing for innovation in other ways, he knows a familiar strength in the music can be an asset to the overall experience.

He's already shown himself to be an open-minded collaborator where personnel are concerned. He's kept Mark Tildesley on board from the Boyle era (no small influence, a production designer!) and apparently had no trouble diving straight into work with Neal and Rob.
    Station_Z wrote: »
    Guys, this same painting was used several times, beginning with DN. No direct TLD reference.

And the V8 Vantage isn't a nod to TLD either?
    I was clearly only speaking about the painting.
    TLD is perfection and Dalton is the best Bond imo but I'm actually not a fan of these nods at all. Outside of SF, which gets a pass because it was an anniversary film, I really feel that the Craig era has played too much with the iconography of other films and banked off nostalgia (the DB5, the GF reference in QoS, the LALD parallels of the SP turtleneck poster, Connery's white dinner jacket, guess you could count M's door too but I'll let that one slide as it never should have gone away).

Some of these references were cool at the time, but overall I think there's been too many. The novelty of them has worn off for me and I think the series needs to focus on creating new icons. That's why I liked the DB10. What better way to try and give the new car iconic status than make it pretty much exclusive to the film.
    If only the film would have been worth the car. I agree on too many references. Even the highly traditional M's office is in the dangerzone of being degraded to a reference after such long absence.
    My feeling in general is that the producers don't have as much faith in their knack for experimenting with the formula as Fleming had in his Bond in the FRWL novel, where almost the entire first third doesn't feature James Bond at all.
    I don't mind subtle references, though I feel perhaps the consistent long gaps between films are a cause for the more obvious ones.

Bond is pretty much always away from the big screen now, with only a few instances when a new film is in production. Perhaps Eon feels the need to remind audiences of Bond's cinematic historical influences whenever a new film is actually in production? Hence the references to other films.

In addition, I'm seeing more and more of the Brosnan/Craig films played on television now than the earlier classics. I'm also coming across more people who have never seen the pre-Brosnan films. Sadly, many people today have no interest in watching a movie made before they were born.

Still, I think the Craig era should have focused more on creating it's own iconography rather than reference the earlier films. We really don't need Aston Martin involved with every Bond movie.
    Guys, this same painting was used several times, beginning with DN. No direct TLD reference.

And the V8 Vantage isn't a nod to TLD either?
    I was clearly only speaking about the painting.

So you agree at least one respectful nod to TLD?

• edited June 2019 Posts: 12,837
    @Getafix Yeah, I think a Bond cars in general should feel like a treat. A proper event, something we get every few years. I realised this when I was properly excited for the DB10 in a way that I never was for any of Brosnan's cars besides the Vanquish (as we hadn't had an Aston for a while) because he had a new gadget filled spy car every film.

They've gone in the right direction because they don't all have gadgets anymore, but still, a new Aston every film or two seems excessive to me. Moore, Connery and Dalton didn't always have a flash new car. It's not necessary imo. I think every actor should have one new car per era with all the gadgets bells and whistles, and then that can make little cameo appearances throughout the rest of their run (like the DB5 in TB).

Unfortunately though since the Craig era Aston Martin seem to thrive off the legacy they have with Bond and I bet EON get a lot of money out of it. So I think we'll keep seeing their new models popping up for the forseeable. I also don't think we'll ever get Bond being given a car from a new marque anytime soon for the same reason.
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    edited June 2019 Posts: 98
    I think between the Aston Martin donning TLD plates and the near identical M office, it’s safe to say CF is a massive Daylights fan. I honestly couldn’t be happier as TLD remains one of my favorite Bond films and is one of the classiest in the franchise.

Let's hope the BOND 25 OST will be as excellent as the 1987 one ^:)^

The still-not-commisioned-B25-film-score-composer ...have already some pressure
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    zebrafish wrote: »
    German newspapers reported that Materas might feature trash-sculptures by German artist HA Schult. Apparently the production team wants Bond to drive past these sculptures.
    https://www.express.de/koeln/was-hecken-die-denn-aus--james-bond-trifft-koelner-promi-in-sueditalien-32464814

Modern art and heritage sites is one of my pet hates. I hope he flattens the lot of them in his fleet of Astons!

Yes, no question CF and MT, in art direction etc., are deliberately making respectful nods to TLD. It would have been CF's second Bond film on the big screen when he was kid, so the film, the new Bond, Dalton, would have made an impression. I also love TLD and Dalton. I suspect Craig is a fan of Dalton too - note the charity video making fun of "who is the best Bond", and one of the crew ends with, "Mind you, Dalton was solid."

Wouldn't hurt if they took inspiration from its score, either. Barry's last is arguably one of his best -- sweeping, pulse-pounding, and distinctly Bondian through and through.

Surely we should hear the composer decision any day now? I suspect they want Justin Hurwitz, but I think it'll be Dan Romer.

Maybe producers want J. Hurwitz but I do think that Cary wants to work with Dan Romer who had great experience working with CJF on two absolutely different projects. For Dan Bond25 will be a huge career jump. I think producers will let director pick who he wants.

Much as they were happy to get an Oscar-caliber (and truly wonderful) composer in Tom Newman, I think they'd also have to know by now that the last score for SPECTRE doesn't seem to have been particularly well-received.

It's an interesting dilemma, and probably quite an interesting negotiation as well.

EON acquiesced to Mendes and asked Arnold to sit the last two out, and one might think they'd like their (generally loved) resident go-to option back in the fold to mitigate risk. On the other hand, someone like Cary Fukunaga doesn't sign up for a picture like this without ensuring a certain degree of creative control, especially after what happened to Boyle -- and composer choice might make sense as one element the producers are comfortable trading off in exchange for other things.

On top of all this, though is the consideration -- what if CJF simply loves David Arnold as well and is happy to have him back? A reliable, strong hand on the music would be an advantage to Cary in a franchise he's taking the reigns of for the first time. Perhaps, if he's pushing for innovation in other ways, he knows a familiar strength in the music can be an asset to the overall experience.

He's already shown himself to be an open-minded collaborator where personnel are concerned. He's kept Mark Tildesley on board from the Boyle era (no small influence, a production designer!) and apparently had no trouble diving straight into work with Neal and Rob.
    What people tend to overlook IMO is the mood the director wants from the score. Arnold exceeds in delivering bigger-than-life cues, but any director who wants for instance a more serious tone in the music will probably look somewhere else.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    zebrafish wrote: »
    German newspapers reported that Materas might feature trash-sculptures by German artist HA Schult. Apparently the production team wants Bond to drive past these sculptures.
    https://www.express.de/koeln/was-hecken-die-denn-aus--james-bond-trifft-koelner-promi-in-sueditalien-32464814

Modern art is one of my pet hates. I hope he flattens the lot of them in his fleet of Astons!

+1
    Trashing trash.
    boldfinger wrote: »

What people tend to overlook IMO is the mood the director wants from the score. Arnold exceeds in delivering bigger-than-life cues, but any director who wants for instance a more serious tone in the music will probably look somewhere else.

Indeed, that will dictate a great deal of the decision. I think Arnold's much more versatile than he gets credit for, but this could be a major factor in EON and Fukunaga's decision for sure.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

At the same time, EON might have been disappointed in the choice Mendes made to bring in Newman. Newman wasn't going to have Adele's theme in the film, BB and MGW demanded he'd have it in there. And even then, he let J.A.C. Redford do the orchestration, because he couldn't be bothered himself. And then he did the same thing on Spectre, leaving the instrumental for Simon Hale.
    No idea whose decision it was to reuse Arnold's arrangement for the endings, but this could've been an EON thing as well.

What I'm trying to get at, is that BB and MGW might not let Fukunaga as freely to choose the composer as they did with Mendes, as they have learned the hard way. At the same time, I think this does not guarantee that Arnold will return, but EON might be looking for a composer who actually wants to tick the boxes (Bond theme, instrumental version of the title song, romantic theme) first and discuss tone and feel with the director second.

At the same time, EON might have been disappointed in the choice Mendes made to bring in Newman. Newman wasn't going to have Adele's theme in the film, BB and MGW demanded he'd have it in there. And even then, he let J.A.C. Redford do the orchestration, because he couldn't be bothered himself. And then he did the same thing on Spectre, leaving the instrumental for Simon Hale.
    No idea whose decision it was to reuse Arnold's arrangement for the endings, but this could've been an EON thing as well.

What I'm trying to get at, is that BB and MGW might not let Fukunaga as freely to choose the composer as they did with Mendes, as they have learned the hard way. At the same time, I think this does not guarantee that Arnold will return, but EON might be looking for a composer who actually wants to tick the boxes (Bond theme, instrumental version of the title song, romantic theme) first and discuss tone and feel with the director second.

Yes, that's the other side of that. My instinct is they're leaning this way.
    Still hoping for Arnold to return. Definitely don’t want Newman back, even though I liked some of his work in SF and SP.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I knew about Redford doing the orchestration of Skyfall, but I didn't know that Newman also left the instrumental of SPECTRE too. That's shameful. Fingers crossed for Arnold's return to bookend Craig's era.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Still hoping for Arnold to return. Definitely don’t want Newman back, even though I liked some of his work in SF and SP.

I, too, liked some of Newman's work (that is most of Skyfall score, and Madeleine, the first half of Secret Room and Los Muertos Vivos Estan from SPECTRE) but I don't want him anywhere near next Bond movies. I couldn't care less about a composer who refuses to weave the theme song into the score.
    Newman was awful
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    The SF ost is used a lot on television programs in The Netherlands I noticed, probably because if you are not a fan, you wouldn’t know it is from a Bond film.

For B25 I wouldn’t mind a soundtrack with a little more Bond vibe in it.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    The SF ost is used a lot on television programs in The Netherlands I noticed, probably because if you are not a fan, you wouldn’t know it is from a Bond film.

For B25 I wouldn’t mind a soundtrack with a little more Bond vibe in it.

Noticed that too! Especially the Istanbul score gets used a lot! Strangely enough, the SP score isn't used at all. Perhaps because it's already too similar?
    Walecs wrote: »

I knew about Redford doing the orchestration of Skyfall, but I didn't know that Newman also left the instrumental of SPECTRE too. That's shameful. Fingers crossed for Arnold's return to bookend Craig's era.

Or at least, that's what the liner notes of my SP soundtrack CD are saying, I presume they have it right! ;-)

I agree with 'bookending the Craig era'. If those rumours of Bond visiting Vesper's grave are true, I would actually like to hear Vesper's theme for just a split second. Yes, another reference, I know, some people would hate that, but I kinda found it shameful that Vesper's Theme was not played when Bond discovered the tape in SP. Newman is not the composer to do that, to give those nods, so no surprises here.

But if they truly go full circle with Bond 25, then I actually would like Vesper's Theme back. And maybe even the YKMN instrumental.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    As much as I like Vesper's Theme and You Know My Name - they should bring something new to B25 unless the plot needs it.
    I am hoping for the 007 theme to be updated and used again!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I am hoping for the 007 theme to be updated and used again!

Me too. I'm hoping this for years now. YEARS!
    And no, it's not to cartoonish, it's perfect. And if done right it would make for a brilliant chase/action moment.

;)
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Which is the 007 theme again? The one from the underwater fight in TB or the ski chase in OHMSS? Love both of them anyway.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Which is the 007 theme again? The one from the underwater fight in TB or the ski chase in OHMSS? Love both of them anyway.

Underwater TB fight
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This is the 007 theme. :)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2019 Posts: 4,043
    Having Arnold back to bookend DC's era would be ideal for me, makes sense Felix is part of the Arnold DC films and he's back. Hearing the YKMN instrumental again would be very satisfying and thematically make sense as this was the theme that introduced Craig.

Also paying tribute to by far the greatest theme of this era and the best since VTAK.

A number of factors point to the return of Arnold being a smart move in my book.

Although if CF goes with another candidate I'm willing to see what they might deliver. As long as it's not Newman again I'll be happy.
    People are talking about Arnold AGAIN?? The guy not only hasn't done a Bond score in 11 years, he is a has been. Next!
    Would love to have Arnold back! A true fan, a true professional, and still the best Bond composer since Barry. His last work was his best, IMO. But this is an old conversation. Most Bond fans want him back. Myself included.

Was watching the plane chase in SP the other day and I was thinking how greatly it would be improved with another score. I like Newman's SF score. But SP was just embarrassing.

I say bring Arnold back.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    People are talking about Arnold AGAIN?? The guy not only hasn't done a Bond score in 11 years, he is a has been. Next!

We love David Arnold. So does Barbara Broccoli! He is the best. Next!