No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Have high hopes for something new and official next week with Rami Malek in town!!!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    German newspapers reported that Materas might feature trash-sculptures by German artist HA Schult. Apparently the production team wants Bond to drive past these sculptures.
    https://www.express.de/koeln/was-hecken-die-denn-aus--james-bond-trifft-koelner-promi-in-sueditalien-32464814

• MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    ---
    Univex wrote: »
    @Pierce2Daniel I love that the MI6 set looks the same as it did in the Mendes era. I always hated it when they redesigned MI6 in every single film.

Yes, this is the sort of continuity I like. A lot.

On a different note, I wish they'd kept Ralph's M wearing suspenders. They suited the character. And I'm shocked at how old he looks now. He doesn't look 56, he looks older, much older. Love is briefcase, though, must get me one of those.

Also not mad about Bond's blue tie not being a knitted one, or a tad darker. And I dislike that tie pin.

Those are my fanboy nitpicks. Cause everything else is perfect, IMO. Even the painting above M's desk is straight out of TLD. Take a look:

Very nice!
    1561337293-bond-1987and2019.jpg

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Wow that office looks shocking similar to one in TLD
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Wow that office looks shocking similar to one in TLD

Not a bad thing...
  • Definitely intentional. Can't wait to watch this scene.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited June 2019 Posts: 1,006
    I think between the Aston Martin donning TLD plates and the near identical M office, it’s safe to say CF is a massive Daylights fan. I honestly couldn’t be happier as TLD remains one of my favorite Bond films and is one of the classiest in the franchise.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    B25 screams TLD. :D
    I hope the story isnt as confusing as TLD.
    Yes either Cary is a TLD fan or the production designer is.

Something in Nolan's favour as a future Bond director is that he also seems to be a Dalton era fan having gutted LTK for action sequences for Batman.
    Cary said AVTAK was the first Bond film he ever saw, so it seems logical that he may be quite nostalgic for TLD.
    Is it absurd to imagine that the film is going to have other references to TLD and 1987? We know the car and M's office are referencing it. What else?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I hope Craig gets a great sniper scene like Dalton did twice.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Those references could be unintentional. If they are not, then someone is doing their best to pique my interest. Would it be expecting too much for a little of Ice Lake Chase to play, if the V8 Vantage is involved in an action sequence?
    Those references could be unintentional. If they are not, then someone is doing their best to pique my interest. Would it be expecting too much for a little of Ice Lake Chase to play, if the V8 Vantage is involved in an action sequence?

I don't think either reference can be unintentional. The V8 even has the same number-plate as in TLD doesn't it? And using the same painting behind M's desk as in TLD takes the reference even further.

TLD is one of my favourites, but I don't want them to take this too far. Don't want to end up in DAD territory with all those lame 20th film commemorative references.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't want more obvious nods to previous films, in general. I don't want scenes recreated. What we have so far is really fine with me.
    I don't want more obvious nods to previous films, in general. I don't want scenes recreated. What we have so far is really fine with me.

Agreed. I can watch all the other films for all that, give us something original that can be worthy of a reference in a future Bond film.
    Getafix wrote: »

I don't think either reference can be unintentional. The V8 even has the same number-plate as in TLD doesn't it? And using the same painting behind M's desk as in TLD takes the reference even further.

TLD is one of my favourites, but I don't want them to take this too far. Don't want to end up in DAD territory with all those lame 20th film commemorative references.

Yes, no question CF and MT, in art direction etc., are deliberately making respectful nods to TLD. It would have been CF's second Bond film on the big screen when he was kid, so the film, the new Bond, Dalton, would have made an impression. I also love TLD and Dalton. I suspect Craig is a fan of Dalton too - note the charity video making fun of "who is the best Bond", and one of the crew ends with, "Mind you, Dalton was solid."
    Guys, this same painting was used several times, beginning with DN. No direct TLD reference.
    Station_Z wrote: »
    Guys, this same painting was used several times, beginning with DN. No direct TLD reference.

And the V8 Vantage isn't a nod to TLD either?

• edited June 2019 Posts: 2,598
    Univex wrote: »
    Isn't this a tie pin?

IMG_9058.JPG?v=1520266253

And this a tie bar?

tie-clip-silver-structured-small-john-henric-1.jpg

And Bond also had a collar pin in SP. Something I think our Bond from the Novels would never use.

edward-sexton-white-pin-collar.jpg

Oh, and @Torgeirtrap, great minds make same great mistakes, I guess ;) Cheers

Agreed about the tie pin, tie bar/tie clip difference. Our Bond from the novels would use a collar pin if the situation required him to. I feel the purpose of a collar pin is obvious to anyone who's ever worn a tie, and I'd be happy to wear one myself (though I never have). I feel a funeral in Rome is a perfectly acceptable occasion for a collar pin.

The book Bond isn’t generally one for fancy accessories like this. I’ve worn a tie many times but I’ve never used a tie pin/bar/clip. I think they are clutter. Does the literary Bond where cufflinks? I can’t remember. I do like to wear cufflinks. They add a slice of elegance but I think tie clips are too much. Of course tie pins/bars/clips are useful. I’m often straightening my tie. :)

If I remember correctly, Fleming’s Bond doesn’t wear waist coats either. Of course, these are the movies, so every facet of the world of Bond needs to be exaggerated for the masses.

TLD is perfection and Dalton is the best Bond imo but I'm actually not a fan of these nods at all. Outside of SF, which gets a pass because it was an anniversary film, I really feel that the Craig era has played too much with the iconography of other films and banked off nostalgia (the DB5, the GF reference in QoS, the LALD parallels of the SP turtleneck poster, Connery's white dinner jacket, guess you could count M's door too but I'll let that one slide as it never should have gone away).

Some of these references were cool at the time, but overall I think there's been too many. The novelty of them has worn off for me and I think the series needs to focus on creating new icons. That's why I liked the DB10. What better way to try and give the new car iconic status than make it pretty much exclusive to the film.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 11,425
    TLD is perfection and Dalton is the best Bond imo but I'm actually not a fan of these nods at all. Outside of SF, which gets a pass because it was an anniversary film, I really feel that the Craig era has played too much with the iconography of other films and banked off nostalgia (the DB5, the GF reference in QoS, the LALD parallels of the SP turtleneck poster, Connery's white dinner jacket, guess you could count M's door too but I'll let that one slide as it never should have gone away).

Some of these references were cool at the time, but overall I think there's been too many. The novelty of them has worn off for me and I think the series needs to focus on creating new icons. That's why I liked the DB10. What better way to try and give the new car iconic status than make it pretty much exclusive to the film.

Agree with you apart from the DB10 which I don't particularly like.

Would be happy if we had no Aston Martin in a film tbh. There was no Aston from 1969 to 1987, so why does one (or two, or three) now have to be rammed into every movie? Esp, if there isn't even a decent car chase in the movie...

Agree with you apart from the DB10 which I don't particularly like.

Would be happy if we had no Aston Martin in a film tbh. There was no Aston from 1969 to 1987, so why does one (or two, or three) now have to be rammed into every movie?

There was one in 1971!
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Was there? I don't remember there being an Aston Martin in DAF. Okay. Well, 73-87 then... and again from 89 to 2002.
    Yeah in Q's lab in Diamonds Are Forever.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Yes, no question CF and MT, in art direction etc., are deliberately making respectful nods to TLD. It would have been CF's second Bond film on the big screen when he was kid, so the film, the new Bond, Dalton, would have made an impression. I also love TLD and Dalton. I suspect Craig is a fan of Dalton too - note the charity video making fun of "who is the best Bond", and one of the crew ends with, "Mind you, Dalton was solid."

Wouldn't hurt if they took inspiration from its score, either. Barry's last is arguably one of his best -- sweeping, pulse-pounding, and distinctly Bondian through and through.

I'm sure Arnold could pull it off. ;)
    AgentM72 wrote: »

Wouldn't hurt if they took inspiration from its score, either. Barry's last is arguably one of his best -- sweeping, pulse-pounding, and distinctly Bondian through and through.

Surely we should hear the composer decision any day now? I suspect they want Justin Hurwitz, but I think it'll be Dan Romer.

Surely we should hear the composer decision any day now? I suspect they want Justin Hurwitz, but I think it'll be Dan Romer.

I'm torn on whether I think we'll get it soon or not. Timeline-wise, precedent from recent productions suggests we should. But they may simply be focused on other things -- filming every day, cutting a teaser, and actually coming up with a title in time for the (presumable) August release of said teaser.

Having said that, I'm sure there's discussion ongoing.

I'd bet on there being a pool of names currently being considered. For various reasons I could see David Arnold, Justin Hurwitz, Daniel Pemberton, Dan Romer, Lorne Balfe, and John Powell all in the mix.

• PavloPavlo Ukraine

Maybe producers want J. Hurwitz but I do think that Cary wants to work with Dan Romer who had great experience working with CJF on two absolutely different projects. For Dan Bond25 will be a huge career jump. I think producers will let director pick who he wants.