Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

Christopher Nolan put The Spy Who Loved Me as one of his top 30 films.

That's great. But I thought it would be OHMSS.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So apparently, due to dictatorships limiting the availability of printing equipment, some places in Africa had to resort to producing their own movie posters by hand painting on canvas flower sacks. The results were...interesting;
    WXGy2mF_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Full album here: https://imgur.com/gallery/MKN7MnA

I have seen some of those before. They are hilarious.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    England's Justin Rose has just teed off on the first hole on the last day of the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach in California. He's one off the lead.
    hornoxe.com_gifdump270_1.gif
    hornoxe.com_gifdump270_1.gif

Hahaha! Good one!

Bought a new iPhone XS yesterday. Can't believe how expensive smartphones have become, but it's sure an upgrade to my old iPhone 5, which I bought back in January 2013.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Torgeirtrap, I've been using my wonky iPhone 5S for years and years now because I refuse to pay $700+ for a smartphone.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap, I've been using my wonky iPhone 5S for years and years now because I refuse to pay $700+ for a smartphone.

I certainly understand that, and it was my goal initially to use the old iPhone until the next generation (11 or XI or whatever it might be called). Unfortunately the battery just started to drain drastically at the start of the year, until I couldn't really use it for anything – constantly having to recharge it two-three times a day. So, I decided to just use some cash I've saved up situations like this, and upgrade. Other than the battery and the fact that the iPhone 5 has been running a bit slow lately, it's been great to have – no doubt my best phone I've owned. Still going to keep it as a backup though.

Also, I know I could have chosen a cheaper smartphone from a different manufacturer, but I have several other Apple devices, so I found it preferable to keep with the same brand.
    I totally get you, that's what's been happening with mine - ever draining battery and the phone can get pretty hot if I'm using it for long or charge it for too long. I'm waiting for the damned thing to explode.

I think I'll be upgrading to the iPhone 7 if my local store ever has it in stock; pricy, but not as pricy, thankfully. I need it before it inevitably craps out and stops working.

And yes, I've debated purchasing a used iPhone XR or whatever through eBay, but even still, they're still wildly pricy and I can't stand purchasing used/refurbished tech.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,270
    I've ever experienced my old iPhone 5 getting hot, as far as I can remember. Warmer after use sometimes, but mostly during warmer temperatures.

Have you considered the iPhone 8? Can't remember for sure, but I think I read somewhere that the jump in tech and features from the 8 to the X/XS/XS Max isn't that huge. The 8 will no doubt be more pricy than the 7 though.

I did briefly consider buying an used XS (if available at my local store), but in the end I didn't want to take the risk. There's more components and stuff in an iPhone that can go wrong compared with a vintage music amplifier, for example.
    I almost went with the iPhone 8 today since it was the "oldest" one available in store, but the price difference between the 7 and 8 was $250-300. I'd rather wait for the 7 to be in stock after all this time, I should've seen if they could've specially ordered it for me or something.
    There was a drunk guy who fell over board in S America and was attacked by piranhas but he bled to death more than actually being eaten by them
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,270
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I almost went with the iPhone 8 today since it was the "oldest" one available in store, but the price difference between the 7 and 8 was $250-300. I'd rather wait for the 7 to be in stock after all this time, I should've seen if they could've specially ordered it for me or something.

That's quite the price difference for two older models! My local store is part of the Telenor Group (mobile operators), so I can easily order an iPhone online and get it delivered there. Looking through the Telenor web store right now, they have iPhone 7's and even iPhone 6's available. Is your local store a part of a chain, and/or do they offer similar services?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Speaking of iPhones, the screen on my 6S Plus completely gave out today. Not cracked at all, it just won't display anything. Siri still responds to my speaking and the phone vibrates when it receives texts, so its on and active. I've repaired iPhones before, including this one, but I've had no luck when opening it up. I think the display processor chip when out. I'm going to have to revert to my really old 4S until I can secure a suitable replacement phone. I'll likely get an SE as I don't need the latest and greatest, nor do I care for the lack of headphone jack on newer models.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Watching the set visit of Prince Charles to Bond 25, I couldn't help being reminded of Rowley Birkin QC, the character from The Fast Show.
    No disrespect to our future King intended of course.

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Ha, good old Rowley Birkin, QC. Always used to love The Fast Show and that character, in particular. Especially the one-off sad sketch. Really oddly, marvellously moving.

As for Charlie's set visit, if you watch the whole thing (which, I'm sure, many of us here have), it actually struck me the touch of skill his role requires; the rapidity of relevant (if nonsense) questions he asked every person he met really is quite something. Mastering small-talk is a skill that can definitely help you professionally. You can learn something watching old Charlie there. ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I love this. The CIA makes their statement.
    Tinder con man caught at Athens airport , hes been scamming all over Europe

Hopper and Barbra future hubbie Jim Brolin.......
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Why has the internet been going wild for Area 51 memes? What have I missed? :-??
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2019 Posts: 10,588
    Why has the internet been going wild for Area 51 memes? What have I missed? :-??
    We're all getting together to raid Area 51. They can't stop all of us. You in?
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    cake
    jake24 wrote: »

Go ahead. It s just a distraction anyway. Isn t it, @RichardTheBruce ?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I'm coming from Wales, but if you can all wait for me, i'll join you. Maybe start a little sing song as we're breaking in. I'll bring my dog, and we'll make a day of it.

I'm coming from Wales, but if you can all wait for me, i'll join you. Maybe start a little sing song as we're breaking in. I'll bring my dog, and we'll make a day of it.

Looking forward to it.
    axn-x-files-trivia-7.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Go ahead. It s just a distraction anyway. Isn t it, @RichardTheBruce ?
    [No comment.]
    Somali-canadian woman who tried to talk positive about Somalia was killed on Friday by al-Shabaab truck bomber among with 25 other people at somali hotel , she was involved with TV in Canada