GOTHAM (TV Series 2014 – )

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Epic fucking anger!!!!!!!!
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    GOTHAM: We Might Just Meet 'The Joker' Before The Season 1 Finale
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=114794

By the time Bruce Wayne becomes Batman, he's going to become the Doddler.
    Personally I say this show is becoming increasingly bad which is largely why i stopped watching it however with so many years between Batman films I feel I need something batman to pull me through.

Ironically I walked away from Arrow as well for different reasons though

but I will dscuss Gotham here and my issues.

My main issue is I could care less about Gordon. I really don't care. I mean I am much more concerned \Interested in Bruce Wayne because well I am a fan of Batman.

But beyond that there are two issues

1. Using to many characters from Batman mythos Penguin Nygma DENT it's becomeing quite ridiculous and now the Joker why can't the show just die it's ridiculous

2. Ignoring the pre batman mythos established in the comics. One of the biggest isssues is the Reaper. A character that could be interesting a sort of psedo batman who kills people. If you don't want bruce to be batman fineuse Reaper as essentially the same thing heck Have him try and train Bruce. you could do a lot of interesting stuff there that would be far more interesting and Dramtic the Gordon the super cop fighting Corruption and super criminals without Batman.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    In order to really enjoy and see value in the show you need to understand that this show isn't about Batman. That is first and foremost.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,341
    I think I prefer if the show spent more time with Gordon and the mob rivalries and less time with Comics mythos. We got Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman and Poison Ivy. I am assuming that the Joker is closer in age to Bruce and Selena, so he is but a mere laddie at the time. I'd like to see less time spent on these characters. They are there to remind us of the Batman comics and the movies, then fine. Now lets move on. We got all the Batman mythos from the Christopher Nolan films. Now lets leave it at that.

The Gordon super cop and the mob is something I can get my teeth into. I say spend more time here. Plus I wish they had carried the Asylum theme further. have Gordon spend more time there. I think it should have had more episode arch instead of just the one. Gordon meets and falls for the attractive physician...he butts heads with that crazy director. There was so much more that they could have done with this if they had only tried.
    IMO
  • HI,

Anyone know when the show is back on in the UK?

Personally I felt it was very slow in getting going (A Batman show, without Batman... Really???) But the last few episodes before the Christmas break were excellent!
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    GOTHAM: We Might Just Meet 'The Joker' Before The Season 1 Finale
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=114794

By the time Bruce Wayne becomes Batman, he's going to become the Doddler.
    OK, I spat my breakfast over the keyboard when I read that :))

It does kind of sum up how I felt about the show though. My personal opinion is that once the whole Wayne murder is solved, they might want to consider jumping forwards in time a little each season and showing Bruce and the others growing more towards being their ultimate characters...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited February 2015 Posts: 7,854
    Let's hope that the Somali pirate thing happens first, because I want to see Fish go toe-to-toe with Somali pirates for literally no reason.

Turns out we're checking in with a gray haired man, but he's not alone, there's somebody else in his house. I bet it's Dr. Crane. Turns out I was mistaken last week, he's not the Scarecrow, he's the Scarecrow's father. Anyway, looks like they're both there.

Now we're... somewhere. I think I've seen this place in Left 4 Dead before. Fish is there, and there's absolutely no closure from Somali pirate land. Anyway, there's a couple guys fighting and it turns out that this is a common occurance here, so I'm just gonna call this place Fight Club and assume Brad Pitt is somewhere.

Holy sh*t it's snowing! Bruce is disappointed because he's still never been to Leslie's apartment, and she doesn't seem eager to take him there, even though she wants him. Big surprise, she's the new GCPD medical examiner, and this is somehow big news, because her only competition was Edward f*cking Nygma, and he's a riddling psychopath waiting to happen.

Gordon meets up with Bullock in the dead man's place, where they find Precrow's handiwork. Then we cut over to Precrow's place where he's... injecting the adrenal glands. What the hell? Looks like a weird aphrodesiac. He hallucinates the place burning, I assume the woman asking him for help is his dead wife.

I love this Kia commercial with Pierce Brosnan. It's hilarious.

Bruce looks to be getting ready for school, or maybe he's not. Whatever he's doing, it wouldn't be right for Alfred to come with him, so maybe he's spelunking. Considering it's got something to do with his father, maybe he's camping. Hey, wait a minute, shouldn't Bruce still be in school?

Penguin and Falcone walk around what will likely become the Iceberg Lounge (aka, it's Fish's place). Falcone's not worried about Maroni wanting to kill Penguin, he's more worried about the lamps. Penguin's really losing his sh*t, but Falcone is saying that unless they have the income that the club takes in, Maroni's really gonna kill him.

GCPD time, and Leslie pops in for her first day. Apparently nobody knows that Gordon's shagging Leslie, except for Bullock, because he says that office romances end in heartache. Either way, they find Precrow's picture in a year book and head off.

Back with Fish, because apparently the Fight Club is owned by the Somali pirates. We quickly find out some of the pecking order there before we cut to Bruce, who's collecting rocks for some reason. After that, we get back to Gordon and Bullock, who are questioning the headmaster of whatever school Precrow worked for, and she really seems to know more than she should. Looks like Precrow wanted to cure himself of fear.

Gordon and Bullock take the paper that Precrow wanted to publish to Nygma, who's being far less Riddler-like. He's extremely happy that there's a new medical examiner. Now we zip over to Precrow, who's shooting up adrenal glands again, and doesn't seem as afraid as before. Scarecrow walks up and asks his father if he's okay, and it appears that Precrow has finally figured out how to cure himself of fear, which is likely 200% bullsh*t.

Maroni goes to Falcone's place, because they're friends and he wants to talk. He wants to kill the Penguin, and Falcone says "so be it". Now we're at the Iceberg Lounge and it appears as though the place is opening in a few hours. I know, I know, the special envelopes say "Oswald's", but c'mon, it's the Iceberg Lounge.

Back to Fish in the Fight Club, and she wants to talk to the guy who always gets food first. Turns out he's also got the only knife, and she wants his protection in exchange for her skills. Penguin's at the GCPD, where he's having an awkward-looking future Batman villain-off with the Riddler. Either way, Penguin's pretty damn intimidating toward Nygma. Looks like Penguin wants to deliver that invitation to Gordon in person. Gordon doesn't want to go, likely because Penguin's a maniac. The dialogue here is very much an "I'm dumping you, Penguin" "No, you're not" type thing.

Precrow gets a syringe ready to inject Scarecrow with the gland heroin. He does it, and Scarecrow freaks out. Now we're back to Bruce, who's still collecting rocks. He picks one up, throws it, repeats, kicks the rocks, throws more in some sort of anger that clearly has to stem from the fact that his parents are dead, but it really doesn't seem to have much context in this scene, either way, he falls down a hill into a commercial break.

We come back from this commercial to find Bruce with what's probably a broken leg. Damn does it look painful. Looks like you shoulda brought Alfred, kid. Now we're at the GCPD, where Leslie and Gordon share an intimate scene that Bullock walks in on. Gordon doesn't want to be intimate in the building, but dammit, Leslie doesn't care.

Maroni and Falcone are still talking to one another, and Maroni just really wants to kill Penguin. Falcone offers someone in turn for Penguin's continued survival, and Maroni wants it, though he doesn't look like he believes Falcone will deliver, but Falcone has already delivered.

Bullock and Gordon are talking about finding Precrow. Bullock wants to use Penguin, but Gordon's adamant that they not. They go looking for Precrow's dead wife and find that he wants to get rid of his fear because it was his fear that got his wife killed. Precrow seems pleased that he's finally conquered his fears, so he calls for Scarecrow, but Scarecrow runs out of the house because he's going nuts. Hilariously, he runs toward a scarecrow. Isn't that interesting. Precrow just wants him to revel in this opportunity to kill fear and finish his treatments. Yeah, that camera focused on that scarecrow too long.

Now we're at Wayne Manor, where Alfred stands pretty much in the dark and looks at his watch. We cut back to Bruce, who is slowly making himself a split and trying to get back home. So help me, if a bat shows him the way... Anyway, he's having a difficult time, to be sure.

Back to Fight Club Fish, and it seems as thougshe's pretty much enslaved everybody except that Mace guy with the knife, who would rather seduce her, rather than the other way around. She kills him with his own knife. Why has no one put a bullet in her brain yet? It's like they're trying to let her win all the damn time!

Gordon and Bullock show up at the Crane household, and holy sh*t, there's only 13 minutes left plus or minus a commercial break. Judging by how much adrenal gland Precrow put in that needle, it looks like Scarecrow's gonna OD on fear serum. This just provides an easy way for Gordon and Bullock to find them. A shootout ensues where Gordon and Bullock just completely gun Precrow down, who goes in head first because he has no fear. Yep, there's that commercial break.

Bruce is crawling his way back to where those rocks were that he went mental on. Oh, and there's Alfred. I think this is actually the first time I've heard Alfred call him "Master Bruce". I love their dynamic, though. It reminds me of the Craig Bond/Dench M dynamic. Bruce wants to go home, but Alfred wants him to remain there and watch the sunrise, like he used to with his father.

The Iceberg Lounge, and there's nobody there... except Don Maroni. Maroni congratulates him, and mocks him. Penguin offers him a table and a drink. Maroni says that he's not going to kill Penguin so long as Penguin doesn't give Falcone any more secrets, and says that as soon as Falcone's dead, Penguin's dead.

We back with Bruce and Alfred and "Master B" just doesn't have the same ring to it, stop saying it, Alfred. You guys wanna know what I found out recently? Alfred played the half-Helgast playable character from the first Killzone on the PS2. He was my favorite character, no wonder I like Alfred so damn much.

Gordon drops by the morgue to talk to Leslie, and asks that she not kiss him at work, but she still doesn't give a damn, and proves her point by giving him a peck on the cheek. We're back at Fish's Fight Club and damn I see no point to this subplot. The cool part is that some woman's eyes were cut out.

Gordon talks to a doctor about Scarecrow, and it looks like Scarecrow's never going to fully recover from the overdose his father gave him. Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Scarecrow permanently dosed by fear toxin. I bet I know what he's seein', too - or not. The hell's he afraid of a mummy for?!
    Goddamnit! The Joker is introduced next episode, and it pisses me off something fierce!!!!
    So Gordon never needed batman
    Gotham will never need Batman, if this show is any indication.
    I thought the last episode was particullary violent. The way Fish disposed of the jail bully and then how it ended with that poor woman. I think she will end up prevailing and making the pirates "squeal like the pigs they are."

Interesting about Scarcrow. I guess the good doctor choose the scarcrow as his way to terrorize people is similiar to how Bruce Wayne choose the Bat. Both wanted something to instill terror and they choose the thing that they themselves were afraid of.
    I like it.
    I wish someone would make Fish squeal a death-squeal by stuffing a knife into her neck. She's not a good character, her subplot makes no sense. It's as if they knew they'd need to pad out the episodes as much as they decided to pad out the origins of Gotham's heroes and villains, so they created a character who people are unquestioningly loyal to after a second and a half, who no one wants to actually kill like the worthless wretch she is, and who exists solely for nothing.

When Fish is gone, this series will grow. With Fish standing there, the growing is purely hampered.
    I saw the preview for next weeks episode so we are all on the same page that the producers have little to no interest in keeping us happy and with second season firmly locked they can piss us off more and more and more.

Little Wayne in the boardroom is cute but this is turning into a college humor parody. Before people say well of course everyone in Gotham knows Bruce is batman look at the toys. Paul Dini in his excellent book war on crime points out batman in Gotham is like Sasquach in our world some have seen it most haven't and those who haven't either think it's all an elaborate hoax or think it's a myth. Yes I am well aware joker has held the whole city to ransom but there is a reason my favorite batman stories are the simpler ones where he is fighting crime lords muggers and mobsters.

But I digress Bruce brazenly doing what he is is farcecal now mind you I haven't been keeping up though Monday I plan on catching up on this arrow and elementary but still no oath scene seriously. I just.....

I just don't understand why this show exists and more importantly why people like it do they not get if Gordon can handle all of batmans villians with a gun batman becomes pointless and kind of stupid.... Sigh
    GOTHAM: New Images See 'Fish' Back On Top; Plus More On 'The Joker'
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=115051
    We're supposed to have the Joker tonight, so expect a very angry portion of the review that may involve a spoiler-tagged swear fest. You've been thorougly warned.

We begin with Bruce sleeping. We then cut to the Iceberg Lounge, where Penguin's smiling at a bad singer that happens to be his mother, and the grungy gang bangers want to leave. Then we're at Somalicatraz, where Fish tells everybody to wake up. Then we're at Barbara's apartment, where Selina and Ivy are still hanging out. Barbara shows up and enjoys the company.

Now we're at the circus, where the Flying Graysons are performing, and, oh, look, there's some clowns. One of them looks drunk, and they proceed to fight the Flying Graysons. Oh, did I mention Gordon and Leslie are there? They are. Gordon goes all cop on the people fighting. Then we cut back to the Iceberg Lounge, and Penguin's mother's done, and she gets booed. Penguin promptly either assaults or kills this man.

Back at the circus, Gordon's interrogating the clowns, and it turns out the Clowns V. Graysons: Dawn of Justice fued is a Hatfields V. McCoys kind of feud. Someone mentions a woman named Lyla (Lila? I'm sticking with Lyla), and that's the best lead we have to go on. Gordon and Leslie go out to where Lyla is supposed to be, and they find her son Jerome instead. Seems like Lyla's missing, and Gordon wants to use the snake to find her. I literally don't know how this works, but it seems as though snakes are bloodhounds now. They find Lyla's body, and Jerome breaks down into tears. The ringleader seems to have known about the body, but he just found her that way earlier.

Now we're at Somalicatraz, where Fish explains that they're being used as transplant donors. When the hell was this information revealed? Oh, well, I couldn't care less. Fish is rallying her troops, because these people obviously have nothing better to do. Apparently, no one besides Fish could have rallied them.

The ringleader explains where he and others had found Lyla's body, claiming that they would have punished the one responsible when they were found. Gordon takes him in. Now we're in the police station, and Bullock thinks this is all a prank, but it's not. Gordon talks to Jerome, where it's discovered that Lyla had a string of lovers, and that Jerome didn't really mind at all. Now he's interrogating one of the Clowns (Lloyds), where it's discovered that the Clowns V. Graysons: Dawn of Justice fued has been around since prior to World War I when the Grayson's supposedly stole a horse from the Lloyds.

Somalicatraz time, and a group of men walk in and ask for one of the potential donors. Fish asks to talk. The warden doesn't want to talk to her, and I'd like him to kill her, but she's 99.999% about to take this place over. She wants to negotiate, and wants what she wants. The warden doesn't want to negotiate. She has her people kill the inmate that the warden wants. He still doesn't want to negotiate, and says "the manager is gonna be very unhappy with you." She agrees to talk to the manager, so long as the warden stays down there in the prison. The warden leaves to talk to the manager.

In the police station, Essen's just as confused as I was about the snake thing. Leslie and Nygma walk in and explain how and when Lyla died, and the two suspects couldn't have killed her. They keep them locked away in the cage anyway, because there's a little bit of doubt. Gordon talks to Leslie, who asks him to her place for dinner. At this time, a blind man walks in. He's a psychic, and he has a message from Lyla. "The servant of the devil lies in the garden of the iron sisters." He delivers his message and Huckleberry Finn leads him out of the building. Gordon's not buying his sh*t, Leslie is, and calls Gordon out on his close-mindedness.

Wayne Manor, and Bruce is ready for his meeting with the board of directors, but Alfred doesn't want him to go through with it. Seems, the Wayne Enterprises board has either mafia connections or is the mafia.

Penguin's up on stage, playing the piano. Barbara dresses up and asks for Selina and Ivy's opinion. Gordon and Leslie are having dinner and there's all of one dinner roll! Dammit! Either way, she figures out what the blind man's message meant, and points out the location that the message meant. Gordon doesn't really give a sh*t, and Leslie wants to go check it out now.

There's like five homeless people in that park. Either way, they look around and... actually find the potential murder weapon. Apparently Marvel's Hellfire Club is active in Gotham City, or at least they used to be, because that's where the axe came from.

Police station, Gordon and Leslie argue for a moment, and then have a tender moment, then they go interrogate the blind man. Gordon plants an 'accessory to murder' charge on the blind man, who keeps saying that he just passed on a message. Gordon then brings Jerome in, and it appears as though Jerome was the one that killed his mother. The blind man may very well be Jerome's father. Jerome seems to believe that his father was a sea capitan, but Gordon is adamant that the blind man is Jerome's father, and it appears it's true. Jerome is driven to tears again, which soon turns into laughter. Looks like Jerome has some sort of split personality. Or, maybe he's just nuts.

This kid can't act for sh*t. Seems as though Jerome killed his mother because she was a whore. He just keeps laughing. That swear-filled rant is probably going to end this review. Anyway, Leslie enjoyed this little adventure, as scary as it was. Gordon finds her unusual, and dammit she is. Granted, this woman will end up helping Batman eventually, so I guess it makes sense. Barbara shows up at the police station, determined to get Gordon back, and finds him kissing Leslie, and stomps away.

The Iceberg Lounge, a woman is playing violin, Zsasz shows up, being sent by Falcone because Penguin's doing crappy in the nightclub scene. There's a fat guy who looks an awful lot like Oddjob (wait, is it the Right Hand Fatman from episodes ago?), and this frightens Penguin.

Oh, hey, it is the Right Hand Fatman, and he's been worked over by Zsasz into being completely loyal to Penguin. Now we're at Wayne Manor, where Alfred has gotten Bruce ready for his board meeting. We quickly shift over to Wayne Enterprises, where Bruce starts asking questions. The board looks like they're about to sh*t themselves.

John Grayson and his future wife that will eventually birth him Dick thank Gordon for finding the killer. Bullock then calls Gordon out on sleeping with Leslie. Back to the board room, Bruce is laying on them all that he's discovered, except he's purposefully holding back some information so that they can't fake things. He threatens possible legal action, then leaves.

Back at Somalicatraz, and the warden will stay down there so that Fish can talk to the manager. Fish's "family" surround the warden, which clearly frightens the hell out of him.
    Okay, time for my rant. I was already pissed off at the idea of the Joker being introduced on this show, and now I'm even more pissed off at their shitty execution of his origins. All he needs is clown make-up and he's already the goddamn Joker! Where is the build-up?! This show needs to learn a lot about character development, because every one of these characters is already the famous comic book icons we will come to know them as, and there's still at least ten years before the costumes show up!
    I keep meaning to catch up with Gotham but I must admit I think I would find your rants more entertaining and original then the actual show so far.
    So the shows creator Bruno Heller says this episode takes place seven or eight years before The Joker offically arrives in Gotham. So that means this show takes place seven or eight years before Bruce becomes Batman in Gotham. Bruce is what 13 now? So he would be around 21 or 22 when he starts being Batman ( similar to The New 52). So I now it all makes sense and I could definitely see that guy being the Joker. I dig it!!!
    So the trampeze couple are Robin's parents? Ha Ha. totally escaped me.

Finally Barbara returns having gotten over her lesbian fling. She is ready to fight for her man? I sense a love triangle is brewing between Leslie, Jim and Barbara...
  • OHMSS69 wrote: »
    So the trampeze couple are Robin's parents? Ha Ha. totally escaped me.

Finally Barbara returns having gotten over her lesbian fling. She is ready to fight for her man? I sense a love triangle is brewing between Leslie, Jim and Barbara...

Unless something totally ghastly happens with Leslie, Jim should ignored Barbara.
    May she dissapear completely from the show.
    I think Jimbo ends up with Babs. Anyone recall the name of his wife in the Nolan/Bale films? I think its "Barbara"...
    Yeah, but... Gotham and the Dark Knight trilogy have nothing to do with one another.
    Yeah, but... Gotham and the Dark Knight trilogy have nothing to do with one another.

I would also argue Gotham and good story telling also have nothing to do with one another
    Risico007 wrote: »

I would also argue Gotham and good story telling also have nothing to do with one another

They really don't.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't know how I feel about that kid being a little Joker. I'd rather see them play with the Red Hood entering Gotham and running schemes. It's too early to tell if they'll have that kid come back, but I will say that I was rattled by the actor's performance; very mercurial and interesting.

Hated seeing Barbara again, as she's just a pain in the ass at this point, a sharp pain that can't be relieved. Unfortunately, Jim will somehow end up with her again, at least long enough to have Barbara, but that's so far off in the timeline I don't know what the show is really planning. I'd love to see the show do things differently than the Batman canon as it is established, like keeping Jim with Leslie instead, who is a breath of fresh air, loyal, resourceful, interesting, and smart. The opposite of Barbara, who went from an interesting gal to a downright insufferable dimwit.

Loved the Flying Grayson's reference, especially with John and Mary at the end. It kind of makes me sad in the pit of my stomach to look at how happy they are, fully knowing what is to become of them.

I am hoping Fish dies soon, but I honestly think she's going to be in it for the long haul; at least another season or two at least. I just get so sick of Jada's over-the-top performance, and find her a nauseating spectacle. When she took over things at the little prisony-thing "The Manager" has going, I was hoping all the big guys would just jump her and end her yakking once and for all. Unfortunately, still she breathes. She's almost as invincible as Penguin.

Any guesses on who this "Manager" guy is? If he/she/it is keeping people for their organs, that could imply some kind of experiments, scientific, medical or otherwise. I'm hoping we'll see Hugo Strange sometime, if not sooner.

The best of the episode was Bruce. David is so brilliant in the role, displaying Bruce's sense of resolve, stubbornness and guile perfectly. Seeing Alfred and him suit up before giving each other a salute was great, especially after their bonding moment last episode. Speaking of that, Bruce's leg sure healed fast, didn't it? He hasn't even begun his training with the League yet and he's already built like a brick house apparently. ;)
    Let's see how this one goes. If I'm lucky, Fish will get either a bullet or, if I'm really lucky, seven-to-twelve knives, in the head.

A group of people get out of a van and go to rob a bank. One of them has a red mask. Let's see how this obviously ties in to the Red Hood. One of the security guards tries to be a hero, shooting at the Red Mask, but he's a terrible g*ddamn shot. Red Mask seems to believe it's because of the mask. Either way, the robbers go outside and the cops are on the way. Red Mask tosses some money to use as a distraction, so they get away.

Gordon and Bullock get to the bank, and Gordon watches the security camera. The bank manager's secretary is both smarter than her boss (she knows more about everything that he does) and enamored with the Red Mask.

Alfred answers the door at Wayne Manor and discovers an old friend of his, who has a semi-Russian accent is called Reggie, I think. Yeah. Reggie. His accent is now slipping into Scottish territory. Apparently, he lost someone named Vanessa. Bruce shows up and meets Reggie, and offers him a place to stay for a few days.

Fish is being led up several flights of stairs that look like they'd drive a man insane, and in fact, the people leading her where she's going (past several rooms with people having surgeries performed on them) look an awful lot like they should be working in a nuthouse. She's led into a room where a man behind a desk says "Sit".

Gordon spots something in the security footage that leads him and Bullock to Kleg's Auto, where the Red Mask and his gang are all sitting around counting their money because no one ever goes to an auto repair place in the middle of the day, obviously. Red Mask wants to be in charge, because of all the publicity he garnered them, so the guy who was clearly in charge beforehand shoots him and takes the mask, declaring him correct.

The Manager (wait a minute... that voice sounds familiar...) speaks to Fish, telling her that the Doctor, who's not there, wants the Manager to attend to the matter. Doctor Dulmasomethingoranother is his name. Not really, but it sounds funny. Fish wants to wait for the Doctor to show up, so the Manager tells her to take a shower in his private rooms.

There's a bad comedian at the Iceberg Lounge, so there's another potential Joker origin. Dammit Gotham... The Penguin's out of booze, and the Right-Hand Fatman explains that Falcone's not happy with Penguin, and nobody will deliver booze just to help Penguin since they work on Maroni's turf.

Gordon and Bullock go to Kleg's Auto and discover that nobody's there. Bullock wants to know details about Gordon's relationship with Leslie, and then he finds the original Red Mask in the refrigerator. In the meantime, the new Red Mask and his gang are robbing another bank. An innocent asks for some money, which Mask grudgingly provides. Yep.

Gordon and Bullock are looking over the files, and a witness comes in saying he saw one of the gang (Red Mask himself) take their mask off. They ask him to ID the guy from some photos and a lineup, he asks to have his parking tickets taken care of. They say they'll try.

Bruce and Reggie start sparring, because Reggie sees that Bruce is getting ready to fight. I think his accent has slipped into some kind of broad Irish now. He teaches Bruce to use his small size to his advantage, to use things around him. Alfred stops this little lesson before it turns into Bruce beating Reggie to death, then Bruce stalks upstairs because he wanted to keep going. Alfred then berates Reggie and demands that their past stay that way.

Penguin's in a car, with a couple of guys. They're gonna knock off a liquor truck, but the cops show up at just that moment. Something tells me that the Right-Hand Fatman set this up. And his appearing confirmed just that. He used the cops so they could steal the booze.

Selina and Ivy are staying with Barbara full time now, apparently. Selina's grateful, but she doesn't like that Barbara thinks she could make more of herself. Granted, it's pretty easy to see where Barbara's going, because despite her own words, Selina doesn't have as much dirt on her as is insinuated. Selina shoves it all back in her face.

Time for the line up. The current Red Mask is there, and the witness picks him out. Gordon and Bullock decide to follow Red Mask back to his gang, and catch the whole thing.

Fish comes out of the shower and talks to the Manager. It appears as though she might end up as the next person under the surgical knife, which will be awesome. In fact, somebody wants her eyes. And g*ddamn, she cut her own eye out and stepped on it. Holy sh*t! Jeffery Combs, that's who the Manager is. Thank you Internet Movie Database.

Bruce brings up some wine from the cellar and sets it between Alfred and Reggie, who's accent seems to be slightly different again. There's a little tension in the air, but Alfred basically pulls a "Why the hell not?" and pours himself and Reggie a glass. The drinking helps everybody, and soon the conversations lead to Reggie explaining his time in the SAS. It seems as though he regrets only one mission, where he lost a man. Apparently, that man was Alfred. Alfred doesn't let the conversation go any further. "I'm here now, that's all that matters." Bruce decides to go to bed. Reggie calls him out as a cold-blooded war dog, and Bruce is listening from the other room.

Gordon and Bullock are following Red Mask, who leads them to an apartment building, where the stuttering member of the gang is waiting. He wants the Mask, so that he can actually look important to his girlfriend. Mask is now shot, and Stutterer now takes the Mask. Bullock demands some names, Gordon calls for an ambulance. It appears as though Mask (Destro is his name, apparently, but he doesn't appear to have a silver head) wanted to open a pastry shop, and all the banks turned him down.

Iceberg Lounge, the Right Hand Fatman offers Penguin a drink. They don't want to sidekicks anymore. Penguin asks the Fatman if he misses Fish, and states that he does. The Fatman says "she got what she deserved".

Alfred hears some noises and finds Reggie stealing stuff. Apparently, Reggie's in trouble, and he doesn't want to tell Alfred what kind. He stabs Alfred, leaves him there on the floor. Bruce runs into the room and calls 911 and tries to keep Alfred alive.

The now three man gang, lead by the new Red Mask once known as Stutterer, get ready to go into the final bank, but the GCPD is ready for them. This turns into a shootout, and aparently anyone who wears that damn Mask turns into a laughing maniac and becomes immune to gunfire, at least until somebody says "It's over". The GCPD takes down all three of them, and Bullock needs a danish. Gordon gets a phone call, and heads out to the hospital.

Bruce is sitting with Alfred and Gordon shows up. Bruce doesn't want to lose Alfred, and unless Alfred's one of those established characters that the show is able to kill off, we know he's going to survive. Reggie, it seems, was hired by the Wayne Enterprises board. Reggie says that Bruce is a good kid, and is promptly told to get the hell out.

A kid puts on the Mask. Dammit.
    Dulmacher. He's the Dollmaker. Wow. Gotta love how Gotham renames some villains so that their names resemble their criminal personas. I'm hoping Fish's name implies that she'll either talk to fish or sleep with the fishes. The latter will be wonderful. The former will be f*cking hilarious.

Hrm... recap... It seems that the arrest of Flass will be involved in this episode. Anyway, Bruce is sitting in Alfred's hospital room and Gordon walks in, handing the kid a bagel. Alfred's disappointed that Gordon didn't bring him any food. When Gordon asks about the stabber, Alfred claims that he didn't get a good look at him, and Bruce goes along with it. When Gordon leaves, Bruce asks why Alfred didn't give Reggie up, and Alfred says that Reggie's a friend and if anybody's gonna bring him down, it's gonna be the g*ddamn Alfred Pennyworth. He tries to leave but Bruce puts his foot down and tells him to get back in bed.

Fish wakes up and sees Colm Feore - er, Dr. Dulmacher. Dear God, Feore's putting on one of the crappiest accents I've ever heard, and it keeps slipping back into his natural accent. He wants to know what to do with Fish, and she says that she needs to be his right hand. She uses her accomplishments and her former relationship to Falcone as a bargaining chip, but Dulmacher doesn't seem to be having it. Judging by his dialogue, it seems that they stuck a new eye in Fish's head. Cool, they did.

Now we're in Essen's office, Harvey Dent is there, and Flass is getting out because all the evidence they collected means jacksh*t when 99% of the city is on the take. Gordon's pissed that Loeb could do something like this, so he storms out and bumps into Flass. Flass tells Gordon that he's not going to be taken down easily or for long. Gordon goes to see Loeb, who shows Gordon that Bullock is the officer who claimed to have presented false evidence against Flass. Gordon's obviously surprised.

Gordon waits for Bullock, who's very happy about some sort of situation, and Gordon demands that Bullock tell him why he lied about Flass. It looks like Bullock and most of the GCPD were ordered to murder someone and Loeb knows about all of them.

It's the Riddler Romance Report, and he tries to tell what's her name that Flass is out and she should be worried, but she's not, and she feels there are better men than Flass.

Apparently it's snowing, and Gordon and Dent are meeting at that diner from the pilot. They conspire to take Loeb down by getting to his evidence. It seems Loeb may or may not have killed his wife. Dent suddenly gets up. Suddenly, we're in the locker room and Dent brings Loeb's former partner into the locker room, and he and Gordon try to press information from Loeb's ex-partner, who gives them information by not giving them information. He gives up a Chinaman that Loeb gives "important" things to.

Fish is walking around with Dulmacher, and they talk about plans. Fish believes that if she's his right hand woman, he'll get everything he wants. He's still not having her sh*t, though. He accepts her proposal, but not without threat. Looks like the Manager is now a woman, and if Fish fails Dulmacher, he'll play with her in much the same way he's played with the Manager. What the f*ck, man, seriously?

Bruce reads a book to Alfred and then Selina walks in. Alfred appears to be asleep, so why was Bruce still reading aloud? Oh well, Selina hugs Bruce and comforts him, then Bruce lets her in on the full story for some reason. "Yeah, I didn't see the guy who killed your parents." "I don't care, here's what happened on last week's episode." She offers to help, despite telling Bruce he's out of his mind, but Bruce says no.

Meanwhile, Gordon and Dent arrive at that Chinaman's restaurant, which doubles as a money laundering set-up. Shi-loo (how do you spell that?) dodges the questions, but Dent lays on some threats. Shi-loo's phone rings and he answers it with a grunt. Seriously. He's given information on Gordon and Dent because someone must have seen them walk in, and everybody pulls a knife on them. Gordon and dent then run, make it outside, and get rescued by Bullock just as all the knife-wielding Chinamen just about get to kill them.

Gordon and Dent tell Bullock about who they've gone to, and Bullock decides to pull a Marv from Sin City and gets Loeb's ex-partner to talk by hanging him out a speeding car and just about turning him into a greasey smear on the asphalt. They get what they need and go to Penguin.

Penguin says that if he helps them, hell will rain down on him, but Bullock and Gordon try their damnedest to get him to do it. Gordon offers him a no-questions-asked/anything-he-wants favor in exchange for his help. He agrees.

Fish goes down to the prison shantytown where all her no-g*ddamn-reason-to-be-loyal loyal subjects are ready to slaughter that guy who was left down there in Fish's place. She tells them to let the guy go, and then has the guards take away one of her subjects. They start getting pissed off, now. She lays down the law, though, and then walks off.

Gordon, Bullock and Penguin pull up to the farm where Loeb's stuff is. I seriously think this is turning into a Sin City story. A farm. Seriously. The, I guess caretaker, owner, whatever, walks up and asks them what they're doing. Penguin throws some sh*t in his face about Loeb sending them, and then they're suddenly inside having dinner. The wife asks what they're doing, and Gordon tells them that they're Loeb's personal assistants. They get the old man to show them around, and the wife walks in with a shotgun. A shootout ensues, and Gordon and Bullock kill the old man and wound the wife. Gordon and Bullock go upstairs and find a woman dancing around to some music. Apparently, it's Loeb's daughter. Holy crap.

Riddler walks up to that woman he's trying to seduce and asks her on a date, but she's actually going out on a date with a cop. Riddler's clearly not happy about this, and probably wants to stab him. I think I'm going to be quite angered if this version of the Riddler goes on a nutty "I will terrorize Gotham with riddles" kick because just because he didn't get his girl.

Gordon and Bullock talk to Loeb's daughter, who doesn't know anything about any potential files that Loeb may keep there. It seems as though Loeb has kept her there for some time, pretty much destroying her mental growth and leaving her as a 30 year old teenager. Gordon decides that he wants to use Miriam as Loeb's closet skeleton, which I guess is pretty appropriate, because she's making jewelry out of bird bones. He asks her about her mother's death, and judging by how she's talking, she must have been the one to kill her. Yup. It was Miriam. At the top of the stairs. With the candlestick.

Ha! I made a Clue reference.

There's a gunshot from downstairs, and I guess the old man wasn't as dead as I thought he was. They rushed Penguin, escaped, and stole the car. Miriam sees Penguin and goes creepy.

Gordon walks into Loeb's office with the skeleton jewelry that Miriam makes, and Loeb's less than happy to see that. He describes his daughter as "sick", and Gordon uses Loeb's love for his daughter to bring Loeb under his thumb. Gordon is turning into a mafia don himself. It's about the only awesome part of this show. He wants Loeb's files on the GCPD, but Loeb says no. He wants to stay alive, so he just gives Gordon Bullock's file, and then Gordon asks for just one more thing. He wants to be president of the policeman's union.

Gordon walks into the locker room and hands Bullock the file Loeb had on him. Bullock tells Gordon that the good will never make up for the one bad thing that was done. He's talking about himself and Gordon, which is good. He tells Gordon that Penguin will call in that failure.

Penguin tries to get the old couple to split up by only offering one ticket to Arizona. The wife kills the old man so that she gets the ticket. Penguin then kills the wife.

Dulmacher asks Fish a question about salsa night (it's on Tuesday), then welcomes Fish to the management section. He shows her the view, and apparently they're on an island, but said island is covered in snow, so it's likely near Gotham anyway. The show comes back in April.

I'm going to take this moment to talk about the pure f*cking randomness this show has decided to go down now. It wasn't enough that FIsh somehow gained pure loyalty for no reason, but now she's drawn into a weird organ trafficking ring that had absolutely no precedent. Nothing hinted at the idea of the possibility of the chance of this potential plotline prior to that Somali pirate showing up and Rocky III-ing Fish into the basement. Nothing. Penguin's rise is at equal times meteoric and nonexistent, because every time he takes two steps forward, somebody comes around and does something that sends him those same two steps back. Gordon's contradicting himself by trying to be the honest cop and then using underhanded tactics to get what he wants. Selina's motivations are completely in the air, Bruce is underutilized (except for those times when he's the main character, where he's suddenly the most important person in the episode), why did they even include Ivy in the first episode when she's not important in the slightest, Dent now has no hints at his "Big Bad Harv" side and all of Barbara's character development is washed away in the same damned episode it arrives in.

I mean, seriously... this show is nothing but random. What the hell are they driving us towards? A Gotham City where Gordon is just as much a mob boss as Carmine Falcone? A Gotham City where every villain is too old to get out of their wheelchairs just to taunt Batman? Even worse, a Gotham City where Batman isn't even needed because Gordon has either put them all away or shot them?! What is the purpose of this show? I want them to define it all in the season finale, because if they don't, there's literally nothing to bring anyone back next season. Nothing.
    I have a problem with the villians cronological age. We all know Catwoman is close to Batman's /Bruce Wayne's age but as far as I know (and judging from the tv show of the sixties, not recommended as a source) only Penguin was older than Batman. I would assume that Riddler and Joker are closer in age to Bruce... and maybe the same age group...

Maybe they should stop introducing the iconic villains and just concentrate on new ones and while they at it, just ignore the Wayne Industries backstories altogether. Give us a glimpse of Scarcrow and maybe Joker but we thats as far as it should go.

And where the hell are they going with Fish Mooney? That storyline is something out of Nightmare on Elm Street or Halloween. Its extremely ghoulish and I don't know if I can take much more of it.
    Batman was always a dark comic until the sixties show made it campy and tongue in cheek but some of the stuff with Mooney...just sick.
    The show itself, if you read my rant at the end of my last review, is descending into pure random. There's no clear path, they keep trying to walk the line between serialized and case-of-the-week, with no real intentions other than, "Here's the people you know, seven years before you'll know them." It's annoying.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    My Wife and I watched the first episode as we'd racked these up, decided to give the next one a go and got 10 minutes in and that was it.

I know some like this but I think you need to like the comic books and have an insight into the world to enjoy this as for me if you removed the Batman world element you'd have a very generic cop show. They should have gone for something like the tone of Se7en but that's just my take, it was just too glossy for me.

Although if it keeps some of you entertained then it's served it's purpose.

I don't how many villains they hinted at in that first episode, the Poison Ivy one was decidedly lame.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I know some like this but I think you need to like the comic books and have an insight into the world to enjoy this as for me if you removed the Batman world element you'd have a very generic cop show.

No. Actually, it's much better if you aren't a comics fan. I'm a comics fan, and every week, I face-palm at the stupid ways this show perverts and destroys the comics. They're also very capable of killing established comic characters, though they haven't yet.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I don't how many villains they hinted at in that first episode, the Poison Ivy one was decidedly lame.

Riddler, Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Penguin, Carmine Falcone. That's all I remember. There might have been more (there was a comedian doing his bit in Fish's club that may have been the Joker, until the creators decided to start the Joker's journey in the sixteenth episode, by showing a kid who's already the Joker sans bleached skin and green hair, they then went on to say "It could be him, it might not be").