Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames I'd rank Tom Hardy and Jake Gyllenhaal equal as the best of their generation. Dunkirk / Inception / Bronson / The Revenant / Mad Max Fury Road / Warrior versus Nocturnal Animals / Southpaw / Nightcrawler / Enemy / Prisoners / End of Watch / Source Code / Zodiac / Jarhead. 2 very impressive filmographies, and if you cloned all of their various roles and put them all in the same room, I'd never guess the same actor is behind these different performance.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree @DaltonCraig007, and good call on Gyllenhaal. He is another one who just disappears totally into his roles. Nocturnal Animals and Nightcrawler were amazing.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    May 2018 preview:

New image of Tom Hardy as Al Capone in Fonzo

x11x5odm0uu01.jpg

That's some effort by the make-up people!

You mean the smoke coming out his nose?

Haha!
    bondjames wrote: »
    New image of Tom Hardy as Al Capone in Fonzo

x11x5odm0uu01.jpg

That's some effort by the make-up people!
    This guy is truly a chameleon. One of the best (if not the best) of his generation imho.

He knows how to change his appearance from project to project, that's for sure!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Really looking forward to that one, and thanks for not tagging me. I manage to see it anyway.
    Saw the trailer for that earlier. Looks fun, but hardly a cinema visit.
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe @Creasy47

First image of the Spike Lee directed crime film BlacKkKlansman, starring Adam Driver, John David Washington and Topher Grace:

tt3fn7vgj2v01.jpg

The plot: Follows the true story of an African-American detective who infiltrated a local chapter of the Ku Klux Klan in Colorado Springs and became one of its leaders.

Release date: August 10, 2018.
    Looks even more amazing than the first trailer. Very much looking forward to this!

@bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe @Creasy47

Mel Gibson has set his target on his next film as director, and it will be WW2 related again: he will helm Destroyer, a World War II naval war movie.

Just as Hacksaw Ridge dealt with the Battle of Okinawa in the Pacific Theatre of the war, Destroyer too tackles the subject, although from a different front. The book the project is based on (the non-fiction book by John Wukovits titled Hell from the Heavens: The Epic Story of the USS Laffey and World War II’s Greatest Kamikaze Attack) told the heroic story the crew from the Laffey defending their ship from an astounding 22 kamikaze attacks.

And in related news, Mark Wahlberg is pushing for Mel Gibson to co-star in the upcoming big screen adaptation of The Six Billion Dollar Man, which aims to start shooting in August/September 2018.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Wasn’t Mel Gibson supposed to make a Passion of the Christ sequel or something
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The Don Quixote film isn't in a genre I normally watch, but it looks interesting enough. As far as Adam Driver is concerned, I'm actually more excited by his new Spike Lee joint.

Destroyer sounds like it will be very good. 22 kamikaze attacks? The effects are likely to be outstanding!

RE: a possible Passion of the Christ 2: If I were Mel I'd stay away from religious controversy for a while. After all, he's just regaining his footing after years in the wilderness.
    @bondjames @JamesBondKenya Gibson has been planning for years now to make a Vikings-related war film called Berserker, which he describes as ''real and visceral''. It is said Gibson would take some inspirations from Saving Private Ryan for the 'style' of the film.
    Haha, that sounds amazing!
    As long as Mel stars in it and puts on his trademark 'crazy face' (only Clint does it better) I'm game.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,690

Simon Kinberg, the director of the upcoming X-Men: Dark Phoenix, will also helm a new female-driven spy flick titled 355, starring Jessica Chastain, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Lupita Nyong'o and Fan Bingbing.

The main actresses will “play international agents in a grounded, edgy action thriller that aims to alter a male-dominated genre with a true female ensemble, in the style of spy franchises The Bourne Identity, Mission: Impossible and James Bond.”

I think that this a great thing, like Atomic Blonde with Charlize Theron, that actresses of their calibre get their own film/potential franchise instead of endless discussion about casting a female James Bond/Jason Bourne/whatever.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm thrilled that they have instead chosen to create new (and hopefully interesting) characters as opposed to swaping the genders of pre-existing male characters. Looks interesting.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    This could be good, just based on the cast itself. Who the heck is Fan Bingbing? I must do a google search.

EDIT: Did the search. I approve.
    @bondjames I had to do research on that specific actress too, as I could have sworn she was also part of the main cast in Jason Statham's The Meg, but it seems it is Li Bingbing and not Fan Bingbing (and both unrelated to each other).
    @DaltonCraig007, I definitely took notice of Li Bingbing in The Meg trailer. Fan's not bad too based on a quick perusal of google images. The film itself has potential and I'm curious to see what they come up with.

Speaking of female driven films, I am not impressed by what I've seen of Ocean's 8 from the trailer. I hope the film is better.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Fan Bingbing also played a version of Diana Burnwood (well, the last name discarded) in the recent Hitman film, Hitman: Agent 47.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Fan Bingbing also played a version of Diana Burnwood (well, the last name discarded) in the recent Hitman film, Hitman: Agent 47.

I'm one of the biggest fans of that series you'll find, but I couldn't get through ten minutes of that one. Terrible.

@bondjames, I'm not impressed by it, either. Don't think I'll ever check it out.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'm one of the biggest fans of that series you'll find, but I couldn't get through ten minutes of that one. Terrible.
    I'm definitely with you on that one, @Creasy47. That film was an abomination. They thought they could do a Matrix type action with Hitman, which was their biggest mistake, which in turn was what the first film was criticized about, but when I look at it now, the 2007 film seems to be a rather genuine and almost very good adaptation of Hitman. Not perfect, but very very enjoyable by comparison to the second adaptation.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'm definitely with you on that one, @Creasy47. That film was an abomination. They thought they could do a Matrix type action with Hitman, which was their biggest mistake, which in turn was what the first film was criticized about, but when I look at it now, the 2007 film seems to be a rather genuine and almost very good adaptation of Hitman. Not perfect, but very very enjoyable by comparison to the second adaptation.

Much better than this latest adaptation, I agree. Though I will say even the 2007 installment was a bit of a generic action flick in most parts; wanted to see more of the heart of the game series. More stealth, uniform changing, proper assassinations, etc. However, they did give us some of that: stashing weapons in a toilet, using disguises, so I can't be too upset. The new installment might've done the same, but after that opening 10 minutes, I knew it was going to be a dull shoot-em-up with horrible CGI splashed about.

Thankfully Derek Kolstad is writing a script for a series of the game that will premiere on Hulu. Given his work on the mythology in the John Wick scripts he wrote, I think this is in safe hands.
    Fan Bingbing was also in Days of Future Past.

Jake Gyllenhaal will play music Icon Leonard Bernstein in the biopic The American, to be directed by Cary Fukunaga ( season 1 of True Detective, Beasts of No Nation).

----

New poster for Lars Von Trier's The House That Jack Built:

cea0f8qstfv01.jpg

1st trailer for the South Korean spy/thriller film The Spy Gone North:

----

DurmEEN.jpg
    rN7BPyo.jpg

----

Paul Giamatti has joined the cast of the upcoming action/adventure film Jungle Cruise, already starring Dwayne Johnson, Emily Blunt, Jesse Plemons and Edgar Ramirez. The film is directed by Jaume Collet-Serra (Non-Stop, Run All Night, The Commuter).
    Paul Giamatti has joined the cast of the upcoming action/adventure film Jungle Cruise, already starring Dwayne Johnson, Emily Blunt, Jesse Plemons and Edgar Ramirez. The film is directed by Jaume Collet-Serra (Non-Stop, Run All Night, The Commuter).
    That sounds like a lot of fun!