Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That movie should just be called "Blood, Blood, Lots of Blood, and More Blood: Also Guns and Knives."

Looks great though.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    If you love that stuff, Brady, you should see The Raid films. They're sensational!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ClarkDevlin, they're definitely on my list. I'll be on a bit of a noir/cop film kick for a while, but I will be sure to watch them soon.
    @ClarkDevlin, they're definitely on my list. I'll be on a bit of a noir/cop film kick for a while, but I will be sure to watch them soon.
    Good choice! :D

Now, not trying to divert the topic but, have you seen the French futuristic film noir Alphaville?
    @ClarkDevlin, I've heard of the Lemmy Caution films before while studying noir, but haven't been able to find them anywhere, so I have yet to really explore them. It's a bugger trying to find English subtitles for a lot of films I really want to watch, those noirs being some of them. You'd recommend them?

Care to sell me on them and inform me about what the Lemmy character is like? When it comes to noirs, I'm all for interesting detective protagonists.
    If you like film noir, the ones prior to Alphaville, while a bit outdated for today's standards, are pleasure for me to watch. Not that the aforementioned film isn't any less great. On the contrary. Just different. Normally, Lemmy Caution is a very daring hard man and a womanizer, much like our Bond. However, in Alphaville, a film that has no relation to the source material other than bringing in the character of Caution, is set in a dystonian 40s-inspired universe. Kind of, in a way, think Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow. In this installment, Lemmy Caution (despite being played by the same actor) is portrayed differently. Depressed, uninterested and hard-boiled, mimicking the cliches of the film noir genre. But, nevertheless, a great one!
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 12,310
    Malc is back (in some non-horror movie):

Dreams I Never Had
    GOLD looks like another film trying to masquerade its mediocrity beneath an illustrious cast and elaborate hairstyles. It didn´t help Christian Bale, so how does McConaughey expect it to help him?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,696
    @ClarkDevlin @bondjames @Creasy47 @doubleoego

After:

The new film from Kim Jee-Wong:

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I've seen the others but I'm yet to see if saw the devil.

The age of shadows looks like an amazing spy -esque thriller. There was more suspense and intensity in this trailer than there was in the whole of SP.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @doubleoego don't forget to check out 'Train to Busan' and 'The Suspect' with the same main actor as 'Age of Shadows'!

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @doubleoego, you need to watch 'I Saw The Devil' as soon as humanly possible. What a film.
    Damn, you guys aren't making this easy for me. I've got to get on these films STAT.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Damn, you guys aren't making this easy for me. I've got to get on these films STAT.

I need you to watch 'I Saw The Devil' by yesterday, if at all possible!
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 2,081
    boldfinger wrote: »
    GOLD looks like another film trying to masquerade its mediocrity beneath an illustrious cast and elaborate hairstyles. It didn´t help Christian Bale, so how does McConaughey expect it to help him?

"Elaborate hairstyles"? You mean bad hair? Balding men? Those are actual real life things, you know... ;) Why and how would McConaughey "expect it to help him"? I mean... "help him"? It's a character requirement just like certain types of costumes, make-up, etc. Or gym work or whatever is needed for any role. None of that stuff can help the movie if it isn't any good. As for the actors, they (well, most of them... some are Tom Cruise) have pretty much whatever hair (or costumes, make-up etc.) is needed and asked of them.

I assume your reference was to American Hustle, but whatever you felt was wrong with the movie or any hairstyles in it, the fact still remains that it was both a critical and a commercial success. Whether or not hairstyles "helped" or not I can't say, but they clearly weren't unhelpful... (And if you were referring to The Fighter or The Big Short, my point still stands.) You might have a particular aversion to characters having bad hair in movies, but apparently the critics, the Academy, and the general audience don't share that view. :P

I have no idea if Gold is any good or not - might be a good movie with a bad trailer, that happens a lot. Either way, McConaughey's hairstyle looks fine to me (I mean the hair is baaaad, but you know what I mean), and the merits of the movie won't depend on it anyway.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @DaltonCraig007, I'm not familiar with any of these Korean action thrillers, but I must say the action is completely off the charts. These chaps can show Hollywood a thing or too, that's for sure. In fact, EON may want to consider bringing in some of their directors, because they seem to know how to combine suspense, action and cinematography beautifully.
    @bondjames (for @doubleoego and @Creasy47 too) If you can find it, I highly recommend 'Hwayi: A Monster Boy', where the main actor is a 16 years old, and already proves he will be one of the next big things in terms of asian action stars:

edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. This looks like Omen meets Hanna meets Taken. Again, it's incredible how they film the action/fights in comparison to some of the CGI rubbish coming out of Hollywood current actioners. Great choreography.
    Tonight I'm seeing Sully even though I am not a big fan of Eastwood's movies...I didn't really like Flight and this seems like a familiar movie to it but...who knows :D
    I really liked American Hustle tho..
    but I also thing Gold seems like not amazing movie..
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    dragonsky wrote: »
    The only Gold worth watching is the one starring Roger Moore imho.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 2,081
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Tonight I'm seeing Sully even though I am not a big fan of Eastwood's movies...I didn't really like Flight and this seems like a familiar movie to it but...who knows :D

I did as well. Even more so on second and third watch, when I knew what it was really about (characters, not plot) and had sort of gotten my head around Russell's way of doing things.

I'm not feeling optimistic about Gold, either, but I've also learned not to judge movies based just on trailers. I've seen too many bad trailers misrepresenting good movies and too many good trailers misrepresenting bad movies. Trailers are ads, and one should never trust ads too much. I often even avoid watching trailers for that reason.

I have pretty much zero interest in Sully (at least so far), but I'm still curious to hear comments.

NAN_BannerAmy_RGB_F3.0-396x586.jpg

NAN_BnnrJake_RGB_F3.0-396x586.jpg

NAN_BnnrAaron_RGB_F3.0-396x586.jpg

NAN_BnnrMichael_RGB_F4.0-396x586.jpg

Cr2Fp9CWIAEaaIL.jpg:large
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @doubleoego, you need to watch 'I Saw The Devil' as soon as humanly possible. What a film.

Lol...tonight, before my head hits my pillow I'll somehow watch this.

@doubleoego @Creasy47 @ClarkDevlin @bondjames

Stop everything. The new action/crime/gangster masterpiece from South Korea is here!

AgeofShadowsnewUSposterbig5992.jpg
    Damn, @DaltonCraig007, it's raining with these awesome movies!! I've no idea which one to see first! :-O
    'The Age of Shadows' has quite the cast, I'm looking forward to the movie based off of that fact alone.
    Damn! Can October 21 come fast enough?!
    This and Inferno are the ones I'm most looking forward to.

The Age of Shadows looks great too. Very atmospheric.