Non-Bond movies & TV series recommendations

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If anyone is looking for a good drama to watch with a tad bit of comedy, check out The Descendants, with George Clooney. I feel that it definitely deserved all of the Oscar nominations and wins that it received, and it was highly entertaining. But, that's just me - quite a few people I have talked to found it to be boring and totally irrelevant.
  • Does anyone here watch 'Game of thrones'? Or read the novel series?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've started watching Human Target lately. It got two seasons before it was cancelled, but it was a hugely enjoyable tv show. Think the outlandish OTT style of MI Ghost Protocol crossed with the more hard edged fighting style of the Bourne films.
    Tell me about it. I loved that show and stuck with it until its sad end. And it was left so up in the air. Up yours Fox network.

Homeland! Its the final episode next sunday here in the UK! Brilliant show! Please don't spoil it by giving away the end! Damian Lewis could make a good villain! The whole cast is superb and i look forward to the final episode next week! :-bd
    Two TV shows I recomend are Mad Men, and Archer. They're both very diffrent, but they both have a very strong connection to the Bond franchise. Mad Men has Don Draper who's mysterious past, cool 60'sthat style, and many sexual indiscretions remind me very much of Bond. It's also just a really great show which I cannot give higher recomendations for. If you like Bond, you should watch this! You should also really watch Archer, which is a super funny Bond spoof animated show on FX. It's really funny and super-sexual. Again, i cannot recomend it more strongly, watch it!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    It's not on right now, but I would recommend Mad Dogs. Basically some middle age blokes go on holiday to see their mate who is now rich and living it up in Majorca, and they get caught up in alot of stuff involving drug dealers, corrupt cops and drug lords. The second series carries on from where the 1st ended and is set in Ibiza.

The second series just finished and a 3rd has been confirmed. Great TV.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It's not on right now, but I would recommend Mad Dogs. Basically some middle age blokes go on holiday to see their mate who is now rich and living it up in Majorca, and they get caught up in alot of stuff involving drug dealers, corrupt cops and drug lords. The second series carries on from where the 1st ended and is set in Ibiza.

Yes, I'd love to see it but can't since I am in Japan. This stars one of my favorite actors, Philip Glenister! I really can't afford cable but I'm gonna have to check it out, maybe I can get some recent British shows if I look hard enough and am willing shell out some yen.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I've started watching Human Target lately. It got two seasons before it was cancelled, but it was a hugely enjoyable tv show. Think the outlandish OTT style of MI Ghost Protocol crossed with the more hard edged fighting style of the Bourne films.
    Tell me about it. I loved that show and stuck with it until its sad end. And it was left so up in the air. Up yours Fox network.

Glad someone else caught this gem! Long live Christopher Chance. Really nice spin on the whole action style TV show. It worked very well and the cast was great.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Glad someone else caught this gem! Long live Christopher Chance. Really nice spin on the whole action style TV show. It worked very well and the cast was great.

So much lost potential, so many cool things still to be done. And Jackie Earle Haley as Guerrero is the epitome of badass. This scene says it all:

Yes, I'd love to see it but can't since I am in Japan. This stars one of my favorite actors, Philip Glenister! I really can't afford cable but I'm gonna have to check it out, maybe I can get some recent British shows if I look hard enough and am willing shell out some yen.

Glenister is a great actor. Have you ever seen Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Has anyone seen the recent British horror flick 'Kill List' ? Am tempted to see it.....
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Couple of comments/recommendations-

MI5- The first few seasons were excellent before A&E stopped showing the rest of the series. Couldn't tell you much more.

The Equalizer- Another very good 1980's series with Edward Woodward, who formerly worked as a operative for an unspecified (probably CIA) American agency and is now offering his services through an anonymous newspaper advertisement as a "troubleshooter", protector, and investigator. I sometimes thought Woodward was guilty of overacting in some scenes, but still it's an enjoyable series.

Counterstrike- French Canadian show from the early 90's starring Christopher Plummer and Simon MacCorkindale. USA used to show this and the Equalizer back to back around midnight in reruns. About an anti-terrorist team. Has French actresses Cyrielle Claire and later Sophie Michaud, but I'd take French Canadian Deborah Duchene (Forever Knight, good show about a vampire who is a night shift detective) over either in a heartbeat.

It Takes A Thief- Great 1968-1970 series starring Robert Wagner as "Alexander Mundy", who was an international thief and playboy languishing in prison until the "SIA" (hahaha) offers to release him if he will work only for them and use his skills to assist them. Fred Astaire appears as his father Alastair. You might call this a twist or even a semi-ripoff on Bond (and it wouldn't be unfounded but I appreciate the homage if that's the case) as Mundy travels to exotic locations, seldom is without a babe or two on his arm, spying and stealing. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, Adolfo Celi is in an episode and I remember several others connected with the classic Bond era also making appearances, although I don't remember exactly who.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Does anyone here watch 'Game of thrones'? Or read the novel series?

Yes, the show demands a lot of attention but it is definitely worth it. It's comprehensible on a higher level if you've read the books.
  • The Thick of It

Malcolm Tucker as the next M would be simply amazing and the next step after Dench's M

Seriously, this is a cracking political comedy series that is oh so true. Basically, it's about how inept ministers are, how weak and feeble civil servants are and how manipulative spin doctors are. Malcolm Tucker (played by the excellent Peter Capaldi) is the stand out character and shouts and swears his way to what he wants. Brilliant TV
    Everyone NEEDS to experience BBC Sherlock, especially season 2! Changed my life. It's great to see one of my favorite characters done such brilliant justice. Funnily enough, on this May 4th, 1891, Sherlock killed Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls. And yes, I do like to think it really happened! Good to see you're still with us after more than a century, Sherlock! Much love. \m/
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    On tv (or rather dvd box set) Nikita. The new version with Maggie Q. I found the first season very enjoyable.
    Everyone NEEDS to experience BBC Sherlock, especially season 2! Changed my life. It's great to see one of my favorite characters done such brilliant justice. Funnily enough, on this May 4th, 1891, Sherlock killed Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls. And yes, I do like to think it really happened! Good to see you're still with us after more than a century, Sherlock! Much love. \m/

Heck we only got S1 in January!
    Person of Interest - is an American television crime drama broadcasting on CBS. It is based on a screenplay developed by J. J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan. The series revolves around a former CIA agent (Jim Caviezel) recruited by a mysterious billionaire (Michael Emerson) to prevent violent crimes in New York City. On March 14, 2012, CBS announced that the series had been renewed for a second season.

Easily one of the better series currently on tv.
  • echo wrote:
    Does anyone here watch 'Game of thrones'? Or read the novel series?

Yes, the show demands a lot of attention but it is definitely worth it. It's comprehensible on a higher level if you've read the books.

Count me as a fan of GOT, been watching since it's debut. Definitely not recommended for children though.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 1,497
    Currently watching <b>The Rockford Files</b> on netflix. A really fun show, almost Bondian in a sense with mystery, action and a revolving door of female leads, but with American characters and minus the suave and high-brow of Bond. It's shot in the early 70's so it reminds me a bit of the Bond films of that time, especially DAF. There are tons of location shots such as Sunset Strip, the Malibu pier, and the Tali o' Pup. Since I live in L.A. it's really cool to see the locations from the time. I recommend it, if you like P.I. detective based stories and/or Bond.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

Glenister is a great actor. Have you ever seen Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes?

Funnily enough, I just last night finished watching the 2nd and final season of Ashes to Ashes. I loved it! I first watched Life on Mars on BBC America, then the first season of Ashes to Ashes on BBCAmerica - then I came to Japan again (2009). I managed to avoided spoilers all this time - and after I finally bought the dvd set of all 3 seasons, I just watched it all. I must say I would have had a slightly different ending because it was sad to me; it just was. But the acting was brilliant - what a great cast. One of my fav shows. And yeah, I am crazy about Phil. I like Keeley in that role a lot. I may just buy the dvd of Mad Dogs as soon as I can. Sounds like a good idea. Plus I want to see him in Treasure Island.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I am thinking of watching 'Shooting Dogs' ('Beyond the Gates'), the Rwandan genocide film with John Hurt...... is it a good film ? I hear many good things about it, but would like to know what mi6community thinks of the film :)

Spice Girls , take note....this is REAL girl power :D
    Season 5 of Burn Notice was insane. One of the best yet, and I can't wait to see how everyone gathers their bearings for season 6!
    The British tv series Hustle is highly recommended. It's finished now but there were several series. It was slick, well written and acted and very witty and fun. I'm watching reruns on the Sony Cable channel.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I love(d) Hustle. The first 3 series (with the original team: Mickey, Stacie, Ash, Danny & Albert) were the best. Series 4 was just ok, series 5 - 8 lacked that Hustle magic.
    I love(d) Hustle. The first 3 series (with the original team: Mickey, Stacie, Ash, Danny & Albert) were the best. Series 4 was just ok, series 5 - 8 lacked that Hustle magic.

Yes the original lineup was the best, the inter-play between Mickey and Danny was great.
  • JRRJRR
    SaintMark wrote:
    Person of Interest - is an American television crime drama broadcasting on CBS. It is based on a screenplay developed by J. J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan. The series revolves around a former CIA agent (Jim Caviezel) recruited by a mysterious billionaire (Michael Emerson) to prevent violent crimes in New York City. On March 14, 2012, CBS announced that the series had been renewed for a second season.

Easily one of the better series currently on tv.

• JRRJRR
    This series is getting interesting, Jim Caviezel has taken on other roles in films that are worth a look, Frequency, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Passion of the Christ and The Prisoner, just to mention a few.

Older films also worth a look:
    Spy Game, The Eiger Sanction, The Bank Job, Killer Elite, Swordfish, The Prestige, X-Men first class, The illusionist, Chinatown, The Ghost and the Darkness, Point Break, The Beast (Patrick Swayze TV series), Basic (John Travolta), Havana (Robert Redford), Léon, Tron legacy, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Out of Time (Denzel Washington) and a more recent - Mel Gibson's how I spent my summer vacation (This is an unusual film but worth a view).
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I really like Spy Game, @JRR.