Non-Bond movies & TV series recommendations

13»

Comments

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I've been meaning to start 2 series :

'Foyle's War' with Michael Kitchen
    and
    'The Equalizer' with Edward Woodward

Are they good ?
    Foylle is one of the best things to hit the tv screens in the uk in a long long time
    As for The Equailzer it's getting on a bit but still worth a watch.
  • JRRJRR
    edited March 2013 Posts: 74
    I really like Spy Game, @JRR.
    Robert Redford is convincing in his role with Brad Pitt; another old hand in another film worth the time is (Heist) with Gene Hackman & Danny DeVito or two more that come to mind are Liberty Stands Still (Wesley Snipes and Linda Fiorentino) and The Recruit (Al Pacino, Colin Farrell).
  • JRRJRR
    Pierce Brosnan in "After the sunset" with Woody Harrison & (the female incentive to watch) Salma Hayek, for those that may have missed it, this is Pierce enjoying his James Bond past with some good humour.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    JRR wrote:
    Pierce Brosnan in "After the sunset" with Woody Harrison & (the female incentive to watch) Salma Hayek, for those that may have missed it, this is Pierce enjoying his James Bond past with some good humour.
    I just ordered a copy- I remember it being better than DAD!
    :))
  • Here's another vote of confidence for Person of Interest. Great stuff!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Can anyone give me a top 10 (or more) of the must see badass films of JCVD? I know @DarthDimi and @MajorDSmythe are a fan of him! :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    My current JCVD 10 top is this:

1. Hard Target (1993)
    2. Assassination Games (2011)
    3. Sudden Death (1995)
    4. Nowhere To Run (1993)
    5. Maximum Risk (1996)
    6. Six Bullets (2012)
    7. Timecop (1994)
    8. Until Death (2007)
    9. The Order (2001)
    10. Second In Command (2006)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Wow, thanks @MajorDSmythe! I've only seen him in Expendables 2, so I look forward to see him in other films.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Don't mention it, @DaltonCraig007. I haven't seen The Expendables 2, but it's on my to watch list.
    1. Hard Target (1993)
    The Woo...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    1. Hard Target (1993)
    The Woo...

One of the greatest names in moviedom.......Chance Boudreaux

Guys, could I ask for a top 10 list of movies from Lundgren and Seagal? :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    As far as TV shows go, is anyone watching " The Game" on BBC 2. A spy thriller
    Set in the 70s. It's very good in a John le Carré style. Well worth a look. :)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    As far as TV shows go, is anyone watching " The Game" on BBC 2. A spy thriller
    Set in the 70s. It's very good in a John le Carré style. Well worth a look. :)

It's started well I have hopes for what is to come
    It's good to see you're here Dr Gorner.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Has anyone here seen any of Richard Lester's Musketeers films? I'm a big Dumas fan and love the original novel so I'm always looking for new interpretations of the novel and its characters to experience. I love the romantic adventure, the swashbuckling, conspiracy and of course the friendship of the narratives.

I've heard that Lester's early 1970s Musketeers is a fabulous one in particular, and is often named the very best of them all. I also know that Douglas Fairbanks did a few films based on the text himself, which would be interesting to check out. I also know of the recent BBC Musketeers series that is still going on. I caught a few episodes of it years back but fell off the wagon not out of a lack of interest but because I couldn't keep up and was a season behind. I was hoping after all this time that the show would be streaming on Netflix like many other BBC programs so that I could finally watch it in full, but that is not the case.

Anyone that has seen a good number of these sorts of films or shows about the Musketeers and wants to share their favorites would be much appreciated by me. I've found a lot of like minded fans of things like noir/neo-noir filmmaking and mysteries around this forum over the years, but haven't heard much talk of the Musketeers from some of the greatest romantic adventure novels ever printed. If there's any closeted fans of D'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos or Aramis out there, make yourselves known! ;)

latest?cb=20070621010029
    edited November 2017 Posts: 17,691
    Has anyone here seen any of Richard Lester's Musketeers films? I'm a big Dumas fan and love the original novel so I'm always looking for new interpretations of the novel and its characters to experience. I love the romantic adventure, the swashbuckling, conspiracy and of course the friendship of the narratives.

I've heard that Lester's early 1970s Musketeers is a fabulous one in particular, and is often named the very best of them all.
    Shot as two films, The Three (and Four) Musketeers is great stuff IMHO. I like the first part more simply because it's more sheer fun and the music is excellent (Michel Legrand). The second part gets darker, and Lalo Schifferin's score seems a bit jarring after Legrand's work. But taken as a whole you won't be disappointed I conjure.
    I like the 1948 Gene Kelly one A LOT, but it just doesn't have the period FEEL of the Lester version(s).
    The 1993 brat pack version is UMMMMM okay, I guess....
    Haven't bothered with the badly reviewed 2011 one....

I got mine like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Three-Musketeers-The-Four-Musketeers-2-Films-Blu-ray-Set-Region-Free/142334004684?hash=item2123c48dcc:g:TeUAAOSwol5Y4KWR
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Cheers, @chrisisall. You mirror a lot of the thoughts I have read in my research on forums and discussion boards on Reddit and some other spots. So Lester shot enough content in one shoot to make two films? I knew there was a sequel the year after the original, but didn't know that it was all done at once. That would actually help with continuity, so that's interesting. Just reading up on the Lester films and how the actors nearly killed each other or died during the shooting of the fights, I was blown away. They really went for it back in the day!

I've heard nothing but great things about these two and the cast is really enticing to my vintage loving self, so I'll try to find a collection of both on Amazon and may think of ordering them along with my next purchases.

I remember seeing the 93 version as a kid and have seen some interpretations of Man in the Iron Mask, namely the one with Leo Dicaprio. I have avoided the most recent one like the plague, though. Airships in historical France? What?! I would love to see a group of films cover all the stories for the modern era done right with the attention to detail, sword choreography and artistry of the best Musketeers films.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I've also seen the DiCaprio MAN IN THE IRON MASK but I'm afraid that's the extent of my experience with the Musketeers, film or otherwise. I've long intended to read more Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo being an all-time favorite (I actually quite like the 2002 Jim Caviezel film -- nowhere near the book, but it does a good job all the same) but instead of ever picking up The Three Musketeers I always seem to reach once again for the Count.

I had no idea Lester directed any Musketeer films. I like Lester, so I will definitely give those a whirl.

You should also take a look at this:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13330922-the-black-count
    @Strog, I love Count of Monte Cristo too. Read both that and Musketeers when I was 14 or 15 on a Dumas kick in high school and have always said that if I dedicated myself to learning French it'd be to read the great man's work in his native tongue. That book behind the history of the Count is fascinating; I'll have to add it to my list of future purchases. I appreciate you sharing it!

Man, my wishlist for films, shows and books is getting insane this year. Currently caught between getting these Musketeers films, the Tony Rome detective films with Sinatra, Patrick McGoohan's Danger Man and/or Riccardo Orizio's Talk of the Devil: Encounters with Seven Dictators amongst others. Oh, the decisions!